Retainers

Pitbuller26

People who have or had retainers, did you have a hard time talking when you first got them? I ask this since I got my braces off today and now stuck with a retainers(top and bottom row) that they say I have to wear 24/7. I think not a problem but when I actually put them on, its I can't say one damn word clearly, I can't even pronounce words with an "s" or a "t" in them.

Will I eventually be able to speak clearly?

Knowing me, I'll NEVER wear mine.

You have one, but you don't use it?

Thankfully, I never had to use one.

People who have or had retainers, did you have a hard time talking when you first got them? I ask this since I got my braces off today and now stuck with a retainers(top and bottom row) that they say I have to wear 24/7. I think not a problem but when I actually put them on, its I can't say one damn word clearly, I can't even pronounce words with an "s" or a "t" in them.

Will I eventually be able to speak clearly?

Yes, you do eventually learn to adapt. In fact, if you have them for quite some time, you'll be having slight difficulties with speech when they are gone for a short period.

I actually recall being incapable of speaking normally when I first got my retainer in. It changed by the end of the week.

Yeah, unfortunately. Don't worry, you get over it pretty quickly.

Technically I should still be wearing my top retainer, but I've left it out so long that it hurts to put it back in xP but my teeth haven't gone crooked again, so they're not doing anything about it. Bottom retainer's a wire glued to the back of my teeth. Oh how I loathe it.

At first I had the same troubles talking with mine. Eventually it felt like things were all better but there was still a little difference, nothing too bad though. However in a year or so you won't event have to wear it so just stick with it until then.

I was supposed to wear one 24/7 and ended up wearing it for 2 hours. My teeth are still perfectly straight 5 years later.

To be fair, if I don't wear my retainers for more than 3 days in a row, it becomes noticeably more difficult to fit them over my teeth.

Hey, me too. I just got retainer a couple of weeks back, as well. You get used to talking in them pretty fast. Practice saying "thinking" a lot.