Best/Worst cases of RNG screwage

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had Nolan, who I gave Adept and Cancel beforehand, attack Ike in 3-13 with a Tomahawk, and had around 40% chance of hitting. He activates Adept, hits, activates Cancel, hits again. And after, I had Edward attack with the Tempest Blade, with around 10% chance to critical. He does, defeating Ike.

Now for the bad, the before was a must (attacking Ike I mean, what happened was unexpected) because no matter what I did, someone was killed by Boyd during the enemy turn (he always activated Colossus).

Edited by Acacia Sgt

• 3 months later...

On Chapter 4-2, I put Makalov in the front line because of his good strength, speed and defence. Makalov had hit rates around 80%, and kept missing. He was then attacked by about 8 enemies. None of them had more than 55%, and some went as low as 15%. Makalov got hit every single time.

I've no idea how come he had 4 HP left, I thought he would have died.

Worst: Aran threw a javelin from a ledge on the prison level at an archer, he missed and got hit by a 42% with 1% crit he got critted and died and also Ike gets critted by a 3% thunder sage and died.

Best:Soren dodged a 70% that would've killed him.

Edited by Patchouli

Best:

Micaiah's speed blessing

Ilyana crit 5 enemies in 2 phases

Astrid is being a dodging machine

Edward getting 2 perfect level ups in a row

Zihark survived 7 cavies in a row in 1-6-1

Brom activates disarm 7 times in 2-1, free items

Vika survived a wyvern while holding a villager

Fiona kills weakened Jarod and gets a perfect level up

Worst: Ike in endgame gets hit by spirits and gets killed

Haar got killed in 2-E by a thunder sage twice

Aran misses a 80% hit and gets killed by archer and soldier (twice)

Callil misses everything but one in 2-E

Edited by Queen_Elincia

The RNG goddess hates me.

Worst:

I battle save and try to get Gatrie to 35% chance Luna a general. It takes like 20 tries.

I accidentally put Micaiah in the range of an archer who has an 80% chance of OHKOing her and battle save. It takes roughly 50 tries for her to survive.

I battle save and put Nolan in the range of a myrmidon. He had about a 90% chance hitting the myrmidon and the myrmidon had a 2% chance of criticalling. Because Volug kept dying, Nolan fought that guy 4 times. In 2 of them, Nolan missed and the myr criticalled.

Best:

I'm not lucky enough to have any worthwhile moments.

Worst: Aran threw a javelin from a ledge on the prison level at an archer, he missed and got hit by a 42% with 1% crit he got critted and died and also Ike gets critted by a 3% thunder sage and died.

Worst: Tibarn is hit and critted by the DB sniper who has a 39% hit, and 3% crit I think.

Um, this is the entire reason Aran's 1% crit against is so annoying (In 1-4 when you have more efficient options and he faces it from everything). It actually happens. It doesn't happen a lot, but it's there. It's why units that face 0% crit against are rewarded in tier lists, and why sending units into situations in which they can die rather than choosing a unit that can take the rare crit activation (or has enough luck to prevent it altogether) is better.

Take Ike getting criticalled by that 3%.

0.97 of living. If you do it, say, 10 times, .9710 of living every time (aka of not dying at least once). So ~74% of living. 20 times, 0.9720 of living. ~54.4% chance of living. 40 times, 0.9740 of living. Just ~29.6% chance of not dying once. So basically, if 40 players send Ike against that thunder mage, there's a good chance (~70%) that at least one of them is going to be saying "Ike got RNG screwed". Um, no, it's simply why avoiding these types of situations is advisable.

I had Mia go up against 3 axe wielding units in PoR on the beach in chapter 9. They all had sub-30 listed hit on her, so that makes it quite low for true hit (I think two of them had sub 20 listed, even). All 3 needed to hit for her to die. She died. It's rare, but it happens. If you use dodgers enough when they aren't facing 0% hit rates, it is bound to happen eventually. It sucks, but that's the risk you take when you aren't using guys like transformed Mordecai in part 3 in this game or crowned Gatrie in part 3. Use a dodger and 1 in 1000 times they'll die on you. And if you are the unlucky guy out of 40 that sees their Ike die the first time they send Ike into a risk like that, such is life.

And I'm pretty sure that BSA isn't quite as random as we'd like. Take your 80% hit and 50 tries for example. 92.2% true.

0.92249~= 1.869886% chance of never living through it. It's possible for the game to just be that against you, of course, but it's not likely to take 50 tries to live because the first 49 keep killing you. I think there is some carry over. Also I think this because of my experience in NM with trying to keep Volug alive once. I had battle saved and basically refused to do the map from the beginning since I was getting annoyed. I don't see why it should have taken as many resets as it did, but oh well.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

Yeah, I was starting to get that impression with battle saves. However, in that example with Micaiah, I was only doing chapter 1-1, so it would have been more logical to just start over. But I didn't think it would take nearly that long. blink.gif

I should change the name of my game to "Fire Emblem, A Sacred Dawn" (Not bad, actually)

Sounds like you're unaware of Mageknight404's hack. A sacred dawn.

back on track, in said hack I was arena abusing.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Best: I just decided that Jill needed a forged iron axe for 1-6. Bought the axe and used my coin. I got 2 swords on a max Mt iron axe. I just might take this 16 Mt axe to endgame and bless it.

Worst: Lots of 1-2% criticals... against me.

Edited by Randomly Predictable

In part III chpt.8 Shinon has an 88% chance to hit, misses both attacks!

That only happens about 1 in a thousand times. (Before anyone lectures me and says otherwise, remember that 88 displayed = 97.24 true.)

That only happens about 1 in a thousand times. (Before anyone lectures me and says otherwise, remember that 88 displayed = 97.24 true.)

Well, 1 in ~1300 is closer. Within 15 instead of within 315 of the right number.

Well, 1 in ~1300 is closer. Within 15 instead of within 315 of the right number.

Granted. I was just giving a rough estimate. I just didn't want anyone saying that said phenomenon occurs 1.44% of the time when its closer to ~.09% of the time because of true hit.

Granted. I was just giving a rough estimate. I just didn't want anyone saying that said phenomenon occurs 1.44% of the time when its closer to ~.09% of the time because of true hit.

What is true hit?

What is true hit?

http://www.serenesforest.net/general/truehit.html

Umm? You lost me, are you saying you dont believe me?

No, I'm just stating that it's quite a rare event. That's quite a bad case of getting on the wrong side of the RNG goddess.

Precisely. Just think of it as our way of saying "You got screwed over good".

Ok,yea I agree thats not likely to happen too often. Im glad it wasnt in a crucial situation. It still left me with my chin on the floor. :)

The number of 99s I've had miss in fe5 (1RN, so it really is 99%) and the number of 1s that have hit me is quite annoying. However, I don't think I've had anything double me (and hit both times) when they have had 1%. (1 in 10 000 if they ever do)

Ok,yea I agree thats not likely to happen too often. Im glad it wasnt in a crucial situation. It still left me with my chin on the floor. :)

The number of 99s I've had miss in fe5 (1RN, so it really is 99%) and the number of 1s that have hit me is quite annoying. However, I don't think I've had anything double me (and hit both times) when they have had 1%. (1 in 10 000 if they ever do)

9 in 100 000 000 if it were a 2RN system. I don't know if I'd believe it if I did see a video of it.

Edited by Randomly Predictable