• Ewan
    • Knoll
    • Control Enemy Glitch
    • lol dark magic

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dark magic is more suited for enemy units than anything. Jormungand, Nosferatu, Luna... all designed to screw over the player confronted with a horde of dark mages.

Especially those 38 atk Nosferatu druids in FE6. But generally I found PC dark mages in FE6 to be halfway decent because of how available Nosferatu is.

I voted Ewan. I've currently have him as a Super Pupil, and I'm raising his Elder level. It's not all that amazing though, his skill is screwed over and he isn't all that reliable against fast enemies with high Avoid.

Dark magic is more suited for enemy units than anything. Jormungand, Nosferatu, Luna... all designed to screw over the player confronted with a horde of dark mages.

Especially those 38 atk Nosferatu druids in FE6. But generally I found PC dark mages in FE6 to be halfway decent because of how available Nosferatu is.

That's what I'm thinking - that dark magic is better suited for enemies.

I voted Ewan. I've currently have him as a Super Pupil, and I'm raising his Elder level. It's not all that amazing though, his skill is screwed over and he isn't all that reliable against fast enemies with high Avoid.

I personally think that the Super Pupil sucks. No Con gain on promotion (as with the other super trainees) is one reason.

And I don't use Gleipnir or Latona, since Ewan and Knoll are lolol and S-ranking staves is a waste.

Unfortunitally, dark magic isn't that great in FE8, but I still like to raise Ewan to a super pupil and then rape Tower of Valni with him - dark magic is useless in the main campaign if you don't want to spend ages in the tower leveling up Ewan or Knoll, but it can be pretty neat in the creature campaign. Luna has been nerfed to uselessness, but Nosferatu actually remained useful, and Flux is nothing special, but not bad either. (Also, there's always body rings!)

Knoll, on the other hand, becomes a summoner and stops fighting after S-ranking dark magic, instead just spamming his summons and the occassional staff use.

Yay Knoll. He's cool, if I recruited Cormag he'd be benched. But yeah, Knoll's awesome.

Also, how does dark magic suc in this game anyway? It seems fine to me.

Flux is nothing special, Nosferatu is good but cannot be bought in the creature campaign, Luna got nerfed beyond repair, Eclipse is lol and Fenrir weighs a ridiculous ton.

Light magic at least has a constant Crt-bonus and scores an effective bonus against monsters if used by bishops, while anima is just great overall.

Ewan and Knoll are lolololol, Luna got nerfed to the point of uselessness, Eclipse is lol, Fenrir and Gleipnir weigh a ton. Also, Nosferatu's heavy.

In FE 8, Ewan = Summoner and Knoll = Druid. Plain and simple.

Also, you're forgetting about Lyon. He totally pwns the shit out of the monsters in Lagdou Ruins. He could solo Lagdou if you wanted him to. And he has an unlimited use spell.

I always make Ewan a druid, and yeah, dark magic isn't that

good. Flux is pretty much the only dark magic I use, since

Nosferatu's too heavy, and Flux>Luna against most enemies.

The level A and S spells are no help at all. They're too

heavy, and Gleipnir doesn't even have monster effectiveness.

Hmm... you're still forgetting Lyon and his Naglfar...

But yeah, FE 8 is definitely not a good game for Dark magic. Except for the case I've been mentioning in my posts.

Also, you're forgetting about Lyon. He totally pwns the shit out of the monsters in Lagdou Ruins. He could solo Lagdou if you wanted him to. And he has an unlimited use spell.

Yeah, let's ignore the fact that Naglfar not only drops Lyon's AS to the point where he can't double crap, it also drops it to the point where he might be GETTING doubled. And I seriously doubt that he's killing anything in the ruins with one hit.

In FE 8, Ewan = Summoner and Knoll = Druid. Plain and simple.

You do know that Ewan is a much worse summoner than Knoll, though? The stats of Ewan's phantoms are much worse than those of Knoll's, especially in LUK (which they need to avoid being insta-killed).

Edited by Raymond

Yeah, let's ignore the fact that Naglfar not only drops Lyon's AS to the point where he can't double crap, it also drops it to the point where he might be GETTING doubled. And I seriously doubt that he's killing anything in the ruins with one hit.

That's if you can't nurse him until he gets a pretty decent speed.

Besides, with Rennac's secret shop card thingy (don't know its name), you can buy speedwings in secret shops to aid in the process.

With that in mind, you can bypass Naglfar's weigth and double with it.

Edited by Why-Fi

Besides, with Rennac's secret shop card thingy (don't know its name), you can buy speedwings in secret shops to aid in the process.

Well, if we're talking about pumping upgrades into the bonus characters and then comparing them, I guess Riev just becomes even better - much better than Lyon. He doesn't have infinite uses on his tome, but if you pump him with body rings and energy rings, he can just spam aura, dealing massive damage to monsters while still doubling them, often even OHKOing them. Oh, and there's always purge if he doesn't even want to come close. Draco zombies anyone?

Hmpf. Lyon has a grand total of 0 AS with Naglfar. Even at max level, he only gets 3 AS with it. That WILL get doubled by EVERYTHING.

You're essentially admitting that Lyon needs favoritism just to "bypass Naglfar's weight".

Oh, and there's always purge if he doesn't even want to come close.

Now let's compare. Eclipse vs. Purge. Both have the same range. Eclipse can be used by Lyon, Knoll and Ewan, Purge by Riev and any other Sage/Bishop/Valkyrie. But that's not the case. We're talking Lyon vs Riev, specifically. Eclipse halves enemy HP. You probably can't do the same with Purge unless the enemy is weak enough to die in one hit. So Eclipse is much better for the Dracozombies in Lagdou Ruins. And Eclipse's bad hit can be compensated with the said nursing and speedwings.

Now let's compare. Eclipse vs. Purge. Both have the same range. Eclipse can be used by Lyon, Knoll and Ewan, Purge by Riev and any other Sage/Bishop/Valkyrie. But that's not the case. We're talking Lyon vs Riev, specifically. Eclipse halves enemy HP. You probably can't do the same with Purge unless the enemy is weak enough to die in one hit. So Eclipse is much better for the Dracozombies in Lagdou Ruins. And Eclipse's bad hit can be compensated with the said nursing and speedwings.

Never mind the fact that Eclipse has lol30hit. What good is Eclipse halving enemy HP if it'll almost never hit!? Purge is FAR better against DracoZombies than Eclipse ever will be. So no, Eclipse's crappy hit CAN'T be compensated for. At all. And Eclipse is next to useless against everything else. Why try (and most likely fail) to knock off half an enemy's HP when I can just sic someone else on said enemy and get better results? And Lyon has lol4avoid with Naglfar. Fail.

Edited by Jonathan Aulin

Riev's MAG caps at 25, Purge has 10 Mt, so Riev has 55 Atk vs. Monsters when using Purge (61 with Aura). Lyons MAG caps at 30, Naglfar has 25 Mt, so Lyon gets 55 Atk. The difference is, Lyon gets the same Atk in close combat as Riev with a ranged tome, but Riev gets even more Atk when going into close combat with Aura.

About the ranged tomes, you aren't seriously implying that Eclipse is better than Purge, right? First off, Eclipse has lol 30 Hit (as opposed to Purge's 75), and Eclipse cannot crit or actually kill an enemy. Purge, however, can. Also, good luck actually hitting with Eclipse, seeing as Lyon can't even utilize +Hit supports to compensate for Eclipse's non-existant hit rate. Riev, on the other hand, doesn't even need them.

Now, for some evidence:

Random Draco Zombie, Lv10:

81 HP, 21 STR, 16 SKL, 8 SPD, 8 LUK, 30 DEF, 16 RES

Wretched Air: 31 Atk, 136 Hit, 8 Crt, 8 AS, 24 Avd

-> Capped Purge!Riev 2RKOs (3 Hits) at 100 Hit and 15 Crt

-> Capped Eclipse!Lyon cannot KO at 61 Hit

Oh, and using the 1-2-range-weapons:

-> Capped Aura!Riev ORKOs (2 Hits) at 100 Hit and 25 Crt

-> Capped Naglfar!Lyon 2RKOs (3 Hits) at 100 Hit and 9 Crt

Clear enough? =)

Ok, ok, Lyon might not be better than Riev, but did you actually see my video?

Oh, besides, Lyon can summon, just like a common Summoner. So if he's in too much trouble, you can have him summon some d00ds to take care of business.