FE5 Playthrough Log

grandjackal

Just Thief staff to get Berserk. Restore to help against Sleep and Silence from Cyas. You could put Rinehart to sleep too.

I still have to deal with a killface mage knight squad and ballistae gauntlets...

I tried that once I got pwned badly like the ballistas were having 80-100% hit rates seriously like D-day in fire emblem you will die... Though TBH besides having staffs to counter enemy advantage I though one of next biggest enemies were doors... especially since you can't manipulate your formation without experimentation, especially those Bastard Fenriring dark mages in the Endgame...

Ballistae seriously are not a problem, there's ways to tackle them in every map. Chapter 10, you basically blitz them on an all pronged offensive, Glade's chapter you just kill the first, run past the second, generics take care of the third, the killing of generics+Dagdar quickly run out the fourth, Tahra you can essentially ignore them using tanks in correctly placed areas as to only be attacked by one for either negligeable damage (like Marty), or someone too damn hard to hit (Braver Fin with Charisma, Leaf leadership and King's sword in hand), the A route Cyrus map you ust Thunderstorm them. Ballistae suck, but so damn easy to handle.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the Gelpritter squad was easy for me once Cyas was gone (yes, I actually waited 40 turns for him to GTFO). I just silenced Rinehardt, got rid of the ballistae with some rewarp spam (or ran them dry) and then put a 20MAG!Asvel with a wind tome and a scroll into their range. They ran up to him, missed or dealt pitifully low damage with their trons, and then got slaughtered by Asvel's counters. Rinehardt ran up, but couldn't reach me, so I got rid of him in Player Phase since he couldn't counter my 2-range-attacks (or rather, a single 2-range-critical) with that sword of his.

Now, on the other hand, how do you deal with the ballistae in chapter 22 if you don't run them dry? Some of them can't be reached with (re-)warp or put you into the attacking range of >9000 other ballistae.

Also, I know that ballistae are supposed to be powerful, but their accuracy in this game was insane. I mean, come on, 75 Hit on top of 3-10 range and insane Mt, often further increased by >9000 leadership stars? That's more hit than an iron sword has (and the same as short swords)!

Also, I found Berserk to be pretty useful in the final chapter as well. You can berserk one of the berserkers in the middle and watch them kill each other (getting Wrath'd by them because of Ambush ain't fun at all), or even berserk some of those annoying dark mages next to Berdo if you place your berserk user on one of the +10 MAG tiles (actually, with a Magic Up, you should even be able to berserk Elf that way).

Beat Reinhardt without staves: Asvel with a Blizzard tome! Why does that thing sleep too anyway?

Okay granted it's still magic... oh well.

EDIT: If you go B route, Berserk the ballistas. Or steal Coen's and berserk them.

Edited by Renall

Beat Reinhardt without staves: Asvel with a Blizzard tome! Why does that thing sleep too anyway?

Maybe they thought the idea of people being frozen by this spell, but since they don't have anything other than sleep to represent this, they used it.

Rinehart isn't that hard once Cyas is gone. For me, he was easily ORKO'd by Olwen's Holy Sword and I'm sure the common bosskillers like Grafcalibur and Pugi should be capable of taking him down. So yeah, it's definitely not near-impossible to beat the chapter without using a single non-healing staff.

Also, I can understand why someone would dislike using Warp staves but what's wrong with the other staves? AFAIK Thief Staff is an only in FE5 (FE3's one is different) and it's a really interesting staff. And Berserk is actually useful in FE5 unlike other FEs. I don't get where this staff hate came from.

Rinehart isn't that hard once Cyas is gone. For me, he was easily ORKO'd by Olwen's Holy Sword and I'm sure the common bosskillers like Grafcalibur and Pugi should be capable of taking him down. So yeah, it's definitely not near-impossible to beat the chapter without using a single non-healing staff.

Also, I can understand why someone would dislike using Warp staves but what's wrong with the other staves? AFAIK Thief Staff is an only in FE5 (FE3's one is different) and it's a really interesting staff. And Berserk is actually useful in FE5 unlike other FEs. I don't get where this staff hate came from.

Here's what I think: Thief is good but the problem is the user, since thief is only for Tina and she starts with low skill and low growth rate in skill till you give her an Odo scroll, therefore she'll be missing a lot probably when using her thief staff, unlock staff, and healing staves, you also get less exp for a missed heal (I think), and depending on the player you will not deploy Tina on most of the maps so she probably won't be leveling up much. Even though she has 5 movement stars (25%) chance to move again while it's decent it's still pretty low. Berserk staff is hated because the enemies are usually placed on places where you won't be able to capture them fast enough before they use it up and the only way is to hopefully get a successful attempt with the thief staff, and not to mention the earliest you can get one is at 16B the least preferred route to choose, and by that time the only one depending on how your game went, would be Saphy, yes besides using berserk on Reinhart or another enemy but really depends.. or probably just how the game relies heavily on staff users with C minimum for lategame.

Edited by Jason W.

Am I the only one that finds Tina having about 60% success rate with Thief Staff not an issue? If anything, I find it more of a good thing since it results in more WEX for her. Other than maybe C21x and C22, I haven't seen much of a problem with her missing while using the thief staff.

Edited by ?!

Am I the only one that finds Tina having about 60% success rate with Thief Staff not an issue? If anything, I find it more of a good thing since it results in more WEX for her. Other than maybe C21x and C22, I haven't seen much of a problem with her missing while using the thief staff.

I agree. Gets her more levels for more magic too, but got her to A rank by Xavier's chapter, if not long before that due to this.

Probably just me having bad luck in this game a lot..

Maybe they thought the idea of people being frozen by this spell, but since they don't have anything other than sleep to represent this, they used it.

I always thought that it caused sleep because of the conception that being exposed to a blizzard will eventually render you unconscious(thus the sleep status is used).

Fe isn't the only game to do something like this. In final fantasy 9, the party eventually succumbs to the blizzard in the ice cavern and they all become unconscious. I'm pretty sure that other forms of media have done this exact same thing when it comes to blizzards.

My issue with it is more a balance thing; it's not like Meteor and Bolting cause status effects. It just seems unfair.

Blizzard is rarer, and only Asvel and Sety are really going to be able to use it, but still.

My issue with it is more a balance thing; it's not like Meteor and Bolting cause status effects. It just seems unfair.

Blizzard is rarer, and only Asvel and Sety are really going to be able to use it, but still.

Bolting does have an extra 20 critical added to it if means anything. Meteor are the most common tomes. Its unrealistic to get Salem to fenrir and only Olwen(Eyrios)/Asvel/Sety even can reach A Thunder/Wind/Fire realistically anyways. Even with Asvel it takes so much work to raise his fire/thunder rank to an A to begin with :(

Asvel can reach an A in 2 elements: Wind and Thunder/Fire. On my current playthrough after C14's end he's got an A rank in thunder and about 10 Wind WEXP after B rank.

Yes you are right, it isn't hard for Asvel to reach A in wind, its just a shame that blizzards make their appearance AFTER the Xavier chapter :(

Asvel can reach an A in 2 elements: Wind and Thunder/Fire. On my current playthrough after C14's end he's got an A rank in thunder and about 10 Wind WEXP after B rank.

Yes you are right, it isn't hard for Asvel to reach A in wind, its just a shame that blizzards make their appearance AFTER the Xavier chapter :(

Pretty much why I considered going A on Thunder a greater priority than A wind. You'll have a few Boltings ready and if you've got Ambush on Asvel then the many Trons you can get around the Freege chapters will allow 38 ATK before an enemy attack to happen... which is quite destructive and probably more reliable than say... Ambush + Hammer on Armors.

Edited by ?!

Pretty much why I considered going A on Thunder a greater priority than A wind. You'll have a few Boltings ready and if've you got Ambush on Asvel then the many Trons you can get around the Freege chapters will allow 38 ATK before an enemy attack to happen... which is quite destructive and probably more reliable than say... Ambush + Hammer.

Hmm...I should try that next time, to raise thunder instead of fire, though I feel guilty about selling my meteor tomes. Its a shame weapon ranks didn't grow like they did in the GBA games

Pretty much why I considered going A on Thunder a greater priority than A wind. You'll have a few Boltings ready and if you've got Ambush on Asvel then the many Trons you can get around the Freege chapters will allow 38 ATK before an enemy attack to happen... which is quite destructive and probably more reliable than say... Ambush + Hammer on Armors.

Hammers have 36 effective attack before even including strength, although it doesn't have 1~2 range to be fair.

Hammers have 36 effective attack before even including strength, although it doesn't have 1~2 range to be fair.

I was referring more to the accuracy difference (50 for hammer, 70 for Tron) and the fact that there's many enemies with less than 38 HP + MAG combo and then there's pure water/M up for a boost if necessary.

Out of curiosity, how was it proved that critical caps at 25 on the first hit? I wonder why the full critical still displays in the battle window then.

Probably for the second hit before applying PCC. I'm guessing the 25% limit on the first attack was found through hacking, when I was testing, it sure seemed to be less than 50%.

I believe that's the case. Ever see Graphcalibur not critical during the pursuit attack if it landed? I sure haven't. Also tried it with Tanya + Killer Bow + Othin support which would be 50% if PCC multiplied the maxed critical of the first attack (25%) but every second hit that landed was a critical so that couldn't be it >_>.

In your example, Machua would have 100% crit on pursuit.

Edited by ?!