High School

Lux Aeterna

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

High school is really what YOU make of it. The kid that said he dropped out, while dumber than a rock from what little impression I have of him, did have one point: high school is not there to be the wonderous place of learning that middle school makes it out to be. Your perspective is kinda limited at this point in your life; you know middle school, and that's it. Things are going to blow up somewhat, but it's mostly just a microcosm of middle school; the same politics, the same idiots, only now you're adding more testosterone to it.

It's hard for me to explain just what the original poster has to do to be prepared for high school because, to be 100% honest, I've kinda forgotten; it's been fifteen years since I started my freshman year. I do remember getting into a lot of fights; some of the seniors might try to make an example of you. They did in my school, but I went to a small school and everything was kinda insulated. It might be different in a bigger school, and I can't really give advice in that respect because I get the impression that you're not a fighter like I was at that age.

Whatever you do, if you feel it's boring academically, don't let it be that way. Find some teachers you like, and question them. Question everything. Don't let "the system" beat you down; get to university and things get a lot better. Don't be afraid to question anything, even if it's going to get you in trouble; remember, a complicit, beaten down child becomes a complicit, beaten down adult. That "permanent record" they like to tell you about is really not as important as they make you believe it is. So question everything, good and bad, don't stick to the curriculum - it's insufficient for actually teaching anything - and just forge your own path. You'll be fine PAST high school if you do this.

As for what I think of my high school time? My ten year anniversary was recently. I was invited to go. I couldn't reject them fast enough.

High school is really what YOU make of it. The kid that said he dropped out, while dumber than a rock from what little impression I have of him.[/ B)

-Cough-

Since I'm the only one who mentioned they dropped out I'm assuming you're talking to me. I be a girl. D:

Second of all, you don't understand my situation at all, yet you criticize my decision? For the record, around here school is mostly for educating you enough to go to university where you study a profession so you may have a career. I have no need for a career, and I don't ever enjoy learning new things the way the school teaches them, so the primary objective of career training, and a secondary objective of entertainment is out. Last thing I could think of is that "productive member of society" shit. I don't even want to get into that rubbish.

Americans make dropping out to be such an awful thing, yet over here in Scotland no one really gives a shit. You can drop out of school and still go to universities.

while dumber than a rock from what little impression I have

There is no reason to insult me on my personal choices.

Edited by Gordon Freemeow

High school is really what YOU make of it. The kid that said he dropped out, while dumber than a rock from what little impression I have of him.[/ B)

-Cough-

Since I'm the only one who mentioned they dropped out I'm assuming you're talking to me. I be a girl. D:

Second of all, you don't understand my situation at all, yet you criticize my decision? For the record, around here school is mostly for educating you enough to go to university where you study a profession so you may have a career. I have no need for a career, and I don't ever enjoy learning new things the way the school teaches them, so the primary objective of career training, and a secondary objective of entertainment is out. Last thing I could think of is that "productive member of society" shit. I don't even want to get into that rubbish.

Americans make dropping out to be such an awful thing, yet over here in Scotland no one really gives a shit. You can drop out of school and still go to universities.

You told me your situation, so I understand why you dropped out. Americans make it seem like a big deal, because here, it is. You can't go to college in the US unless you either A) Get a high school degree and then get accepted, or B) get a GED and go to community college and then transfer into a real university, because for all intents and purposes, real universities won't accept you with just a GED.

As for his impression of you, he said it was only from what little he's seen of you, so don't take it to heart, it's just a first impression.

-Cough-

You told me your situation, so I understand why you dropped out. Americans make it seem like a big deal, because here, it is. You can't go to college in the US unless you either A) Get a high school degree and then get accepted, or B) get a GED and go to community college and then transfer into a real university, because for all intents and purposes, real universities won't accept you with just a GED.

As for his impression of you, he said it was only from what little he's seen of you, so don't take it to heart, it's just a first impression.

It's that American centralized point of view again, aye?

High school?

As said previously, you really do have to try to fail, and it isn't really that much effort to do well. Anyway, as for my time so far, (starting junior soon) it's been good. Continued to just keep doin' what I've been doing, namely, passing with B's or better (lazy) and then doing random stuff with friends every chance we get. Well, that's how it was anyway...I just got irritated with all the noise, and went into a state-run, independent study program. It's approved for the kinda college I intend to go to, so no worries there. As an added bonus, I can now just do whatever, whenever. I intend to head back for senior year though, for one last hurrah before everyone goes their seperate ways.

High school is really what YOU make of it. The kid that said he dropped out, while dumber than a rock from what little impression I have of him, did have one point: high school is not there to be the wonderous place of learning that middle school makes it out to be. Your perspective is kinda limited at this point in your life; you know middle school, and that's it. Things are going to blow up somewhat, but it's mostly just a microcosm of middle school; the same politics, the same idiots, only now you're adding more testosterone to it.

It's hard for me to explain just what the original poster has to do to be prepared for high school because, to be 100% honest, I've kinda forgotten; it's been fifteen years since I started my freshman year. I do remember getting into a lot of fights; some of the seniors might try to make an example of you. They did in my school, but I went to a small school and everything was kinda insulated. It might be different in a bigger school, and I can't really give advice in that respect because I get the impression that you're not a fighter like I was at that age.

Whatever you do, if you feel it's boring academically, don't let it be that way. Find some teachers you like, and question them. Question everything. Don't let "the system" beat you down; get to university and things get a lot better. Don't be afraid to question anything, even if it's going to get you in trouble; remember, a complicit, beaten down child becomes a complicit, beaten down adult. That "permanent record" they like to tell you about is really not as important as they make you believe it is. So question everything, good and bad, don't stick to the curriculum - it's insufficient for actually teaching anything - and just forge your own path. You'll be fine PAST high school if you do this.

As for what I think of my high school time? My ten year anniversary was recently. I was invited to go. I couldn't reject them fast enough.

Oh yes, this.

Really this.

In High school you can do a lot of things, and you can't/won't really be punished for a lot of them, unless they're illegal or incredibly severe. So definitely feel free to question everybody, to play devil's advocate on every subject, to disagree with people for the sake of disagreeing with them. It's also your choice whether to tell them that's what you're doing. A lot of people tend to be afraid of questioning teachers or whatever, but my experience is quite the opposite.

You have a fair amount of freedom, so it really is what you make it.

For example, I have a friend who never failed a course, but never ever did ANY work other than tests and things he absolutely had to do to pass. He never payed attention in class or took notes (well, kind of). All he did, every single day, was talk to me (or someone else), all day. If someone else was talking in the class (answering a question, or if a teacher was talking), he would keep talking. And most of his talking was making snide remarks about the other people who were talking.

It might be different in a bigger school, and I can't really give advice in that respect because I get the impression that you're not a fighter like I was at that age.

Who me? Yeah, I'm very peaceful. I let people go their way, unless there's something very wrong. ^^

So not go with the crowd, and be my own man? Yeah, I can do that again. ^^

Oh yes, this.

Really this.

In High school you can do a lot of things, and you can't/won't really be punished for a lot of them, unless they're illegal or incredibly severe. So definitely feel free to question everybody, to play devil's advocate on every subject, to disagree with people for the sake of disagreeing with them. It's also your choice whether to tell them that's what you're doing. A lot of people tend to be afraid of questioning teachers or whatever, but my experience is quite the opposite.

For example, I have a friend who never failed a course, but never ever did ANY work other than tests and things he absolutely had to do to pass. He never payed attention in class or took notes (well, kind of). All he did, every single day, was talk to me (or someone else), all day. If someone else was talking in the class (answering a question, or if a teacher was talking), he would keep talking. And most of his talking was making snide remarks about the other people who were talking.

This may be true of the public school system in the US, but those of us that went to private schools would like to argue with you about that, because you're over-generalizing. As for schools in other countries? Well, different cultures call for different things.

Oh yes, this.

Really this.

This may be true of the public school system in the US, but those of us that went to private schools would like to argue with you about that, because you're over-generalizing. As for schools in other countries? Well, different cultures call for different things.

I went to public school in Canada. And yeah, of course Private Schools will be different man. I just assumed the majority of people would be going to Public School, and since private schools vary so much, it would be pretty pointless to try to do this for private schools.

I just graduated this past summer, so High School is still pretty fresh in my mind.

Every year was different for me. Freshman year, I must say I was kind of a bitch. I made a lot of people dislike me. Sophomore year was kind of an attempt to get out of that, because I hated what I had been doing (OMG High school dramaz!). Junior year was probably my best year. It's when I made the most friends, was the most social, was the most liked, and even had my first relationship (although it didn't last particularly long). I think it's also when I happened to get the best grades. Senior year was awkward. "Indifferent" and "apathetic" are really the only words to describe how it felt to me. I was told I was the only senior who didn't catch "senior-itis." I kind of just went through the motions. Even now I don't really remember a whole lot of it.

tl;dr, that's my high school story. Can't say I have an overall High School opinion. Do your best to enjoy yourself.

I can't remember freshman and sophomore years because nothing really eventful happened. Junior year I started getting depressed because of the intense pressure to do well in addition to the giant amount of coursework that I had and the competitive nature of my circle of friends, and then senior year I stopped caring after college applications were turned in.

A lot of my fellow graduating friends say they hated high school, but I'm kind of ambivalent. I had some cool teachers and I had fun with extracurricular activities, but it just seemed that I had lots of expectations forced on to me that I didn't want to meet.

Oh yeah, I guess I didn't enjoy the social aspect either because I sucked at making friends with girls and white people =/

Edited by dondon151

High school is an interesting experience none the less. One that I'd rather not relive. People always say you miss high school when you leave, but I've been gone for a few months and really I haven't thought about it one bit. Doubtful I will either.

-Cough-

Why don't you need a career?

Edited by Esau of Isaac

-Cough-

She's inheriting a fortune from her father, who is an attorney. Go figure.

-Cough-

I don't see how this precludes getting an education so as to actually have credentials if her funds dry up.

Not doing it is pretty much asking for bad shit to happen.

-Cough-

I don't see how this precludes getting an education so as to actually have credentials if her funds dry up.

I'm just passing on what she said. But she doesn't ask for much, apparently. Except a Wii to smash with a hammer every now and then.

I don't exactly agree with her choice either, but that's because I would feel a lack of purpose if I had no school, no work, if I did nothing at all. Money's nice too, though.

-Cough-

I'm just passing on what she said. But she doesn't ask for much, apparently. Except a Wii to smash with a hammer every now and then.

I don't exactly agree with her choice either, but that's because I would feel a lack of purpose if I had no school, no work, if I did nothing at all. Money's nice too, though.

She should at least finish high school. She's missing out. XD

Edited by XxFeaRLeSsxX

-Cough-

She should at least finish high school. She's missing out. XD.gif

Although my opinion may be a bit malformed. I would have to agree with you. : D

"I'm sorry, we aren't offering Calculus this year because there are only 5 people interested in taking it."

Ugh. That happened to me for Music Theory.

I haven't had a music class since 6th grade... and it's not supposed to be that way. I was supposed to have taken it at least once when I was in either 7th or 8th grade, but they never put it on my schedule.

I remember high school, it was a few months ago anyway. It's not that much different from middle school. Well, aside from hormones.

I'm just about to enter my junior year of high school, and things are starting to get more interesting, now that I can take AP classes. There's lots of drama in HS, but it's very easy to avoid. My high school is also very easy. I've taken mostly required classes and a few honors so far(there are no honors except math at my school), and I've been able to get all A's without really trying at all. Hopefully the AP classes I'm taking will give me a bit of a challenge, but judging by the summer work, I doubt it...

But I will always have a certain fondness for high school, not because it is all that good, but because it got me out of middle school. Middle school for me was a waste of three years, where I was constantly bombarded by stupid happy-feely messages about how I'm special, everyone's a winner, and we should all respect each other. *Shiver* it was awful. So regardless of how bad high school is, it could never be that bad.

Good luck to all the freshmen.