Magic the Gathering: Radiant Dawn

Progenitus

She still has the worst growth spread in the game, barring herons and MAYBE a few laguz, and that last disclaimer is only there because I don't know the growth rates of all the characters in the game off hand so I might've missed someone.

Yeah, her growth set up is pretty horrible. Also the stat bases/caps aren't helping, either. Even in NM she doesn't get much out of her 70% skill growth because she starts at 22 and the last cap is 36. And her res growth isn't that great and she goes from 22 to 34. Not much bexp opportunity.

I'm just thinking, her str actually can improve, so turning +1/+1 into +1/0 might work better.

But the card is just really funny because like you said, she has arguably the worst growth spread in the game. I think Meg rivals her, but aside from that...thing...I'm not sure much has worst growth set-ups. Vika is a laguz so falls under your disclaimer (how can they screw up 400% total that badly?), and Fiona actually has workable growths.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reyson is... uh... okay, there's no doubting you just blew Time Walk out of the water.

Lol Vigilance!Ulki.

Lol Sigrun's growths.

Lol Manith. And we get Reinforce! The Falcon Knight's as good as he is, true to form!

Maybe because Vika is around as long as... well, Tormod and Muarim.

No, that's not screwing up 400%. That's making her hard to raise.

Screwing up 400% is her str and def growths for a melee character.

I actually would be tempted to try to use her in part 4 NM if she had better str/def growths. I like ravens.

I only played MTG 2 or 3 times. But what is this 'damage counter' stuff? I thought any time a creature lost a fight w/ another creature, it died? (barring special abilities)

Why is flipped Nephenee called "Nephinel"?

And what is the quote on Geoffrey's card supposed to mean? In terms of reflecting his appearance in the games, I kinda think he should get x2 strike since he seems to be pretty strongly associated with the brave lance (eli gives it to him in both games).

I love Danved's ability XD And the fact that he is a black creature.

astrid can be useful in certain scenarios, making her more worthwhile than Meg or Fiona

Meg and Fiona can block the ledge in the top-left corner of the map in 3-13. I don't think I could fight on the lowest ledges of the fortress without them helping me out there.

XD

The tower of guidance ability is really cool.

I actually would be tempted to try to use her in part 4 NM if she had better str/def growths. I like ravens.

I played her on NM recently. I was able to make her good with an energy drop and the DB's paragon (this meant I left it on her for 1-F, which meant they didn't have access to it during part 3). The latter sacrifice is not one I could bring myself to make on HM.

I only played MTG 2 or 3 times. But what is this 'damage counter' stuff? I thought any time a creature lost a fight w/ another creature, it died? (barring special abilities)

Are you talking about Tauroneo? It's supposed to reflect his resolve ability where if his toughness reaches less than half his normal toughness he gets a resolve effect. I reworded his card though, and I'll post it as well as all the other cards once I finish all the PCs.

Why is flipped Nephenee called "Nephinel"?

In the NM tier list, some people dump all the BEXP they get in part 2 on Nephenee so she can be third tier after part 2, where this is dubbed "Nephinel". If you pay enough mana, aka BEXP, Neph will have enough +1/+1 counters on her where you can flip, aka promote, her.

Now that I think about it though, she's basically 7 mana for a 6/6 double strike, which is ridiculously powerful. I'll probably have to tone her down a bit.

And what is the quote on Geoffrey's card supposed to mean? In terms of reflecting his appearance in the games, I kinda think he should get x2 strike since he seems to be pretty strongly associated with the brave lance (eli gives it to him in both games)

It's supposed to represent how he's the best character in the CRK chapters despite sucking shit, simply because the other CRKs are even worse than him.

Edited by Andrew W.K.

I only played MTG 2 or 3 times. But what is this 'damage counter' stuff? I thought any time a creature lost a fight w/ another creature, it died? (barring special abilities) Damage counters? There's nothing of the sort. If you mean -1/-1 counters, you're thinking of something completely different. This isn't Pokemon, after all. Go look at the rules for combat.

Why is flipped Nephenee called "Nephinel"? Clearly, it's a portmanteau of Nephenee and Sentinel.

And what is the quote on Geoffrey's card supposed to mean? In terms of reflecting his appearance in the games, I kinda think he should get x2 strike since he seems to be pretty strongly associated with the brave lance (eli gives it to him in both games). Not sure. And remember, at least in pt4, he isn't entitled to the brave lance.

I love Danved's ability XD And the fact that he is a black creature.

astrid can be useful in certain scenarios, making her more worthwhile than Meg or Fiona

Meg and Fiona can block the ledge in the top-left corner of the map in 3-13. I don't think I could fight on the lowest ledges of the fortress without them helping me out there.

XD It's good that laguz don't have 2 range.

The tower of guidance ability is really cool.

I played her on NM recently. I was able to make her good with an energy drop and the DB's paragon (this meant I left it on her for 1-F, which meant they didn't have access to it during part 3). The latter sacrifice is not one I could bring myself to make on HM.

Comments are up in the quote.

Damage counters? There's nothing of the sort. If you mean -1/-1 counters, you're thinking of something completely different. This isn't Pokemon, after all. Go look at the rules for combat.

OK, I did look. I didn't realize that damage during a particular turn was "compiled" on a creature. In other words, my perception of magic was that the cleanup phase (removal of damage to a creature) occurred at the end of any combat, and that creatures couldn't retain damage.

I only played magic a few times, and all those times were quite distant from this time.

after thinking about it, yah, i worded it badly.

Magic

Whenever this creature deals damage to a player or a creature without magic, it deals that much damage plus 2.

ARG NOT QUITE

Magic

Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a creature without Magic, it deals that much damage plus 2 instead.

Otherwise, since it's a triggered ability, it will trigger itself, leading to CRAZY SHENANIGANS. In addition, Players cannot have abilities, so a 'player without magic' is redundant!

Also, Frail should be an activated ability, but you wrote it as a bizarre hybrid of a triggered and an activated ability that I don't want to try and understand. I think you were going for:

Frail X

Creatures your opponents control have '(X), (T): this creature deals damage equal to it's power to target creature with Frail X.

Alternatively, you could have something EVEN PRETTIER:

Frail X - (X), Tap a creature you control: Tapped creature deals damage equal to it's power to [Card_Name]. Any player may play this ability.

None of this 'ensconce an activated ability inside a static ability' hogwash.

Availability also has super ugly wording. Suspend already exists as a keyword, so it's fine to say 'Suspend with {Parameter1} time counters on it'.

Availability X-Y - When [Card_Name] enters the battlefield, if you cast it, it enters the battlefield with Fading X. If [Card_Name] is put into the graveyard from the battlefield with no time counters on it and it was cast, then instead exile it, put Y time counters on it, and it gains Suspend Y.

Avoid also makes me unhappy, because it has 'suffer damage'. Instead, it should be 'if damage would be dealt to [Card_Name], since damage isn't suffered, it's dealt. Also, the wording implies that you can counter a spell or ability that doesn't exist!

I won't even get into the impracticality of having to flip any number of coins, ever. There's a reason Wizards stopped making those cards.

But aside from this absurdly pedantic nitpicking over minor syntax errors, the cards are all superbrokencool and funny!

Otherwise, since it's a triggered ability, it will trigger itself, leading to CRAZY SHENANIGANS. In addition, Players cannot have abilities, so a 'player without magic' is redundant!

How would it lead to crazy shenanigans?

Whenever this creature deals damage to a creature without magic or a player, it deals that much damage plus 2.

ok @ frail and availability

Avoid also makes me unhappy, because it has 'suffer damage'. Instead, it should be 'if damage would be dealt to [Card_Name], since damage isn't suffered, it's dealt.

k

Also, the wording implies that you can counter a spell or ability that doesn't exist!

huh?

I won't even get into the impracticality of having to flip any number of coins, ever. There's a reason Wizards stopped making those cards.

why?

Flipping 3 coins for 3 tails is the same as rolling an 8 sided die and looking for a 1. Can't you just use that? If a 1 is rolled, the attack works. Otherwise it doesn't.

Flipping 4 coins is the same as rolling two 4 sided dies and looking for 1s on each.

Flipping 5 coins is the same as rolling an 8 sided die and a 4 sided die and looking for 1s on each.

Flipping 6 coins is equivalent to rolling two 8 sided dies and going for 1s.

etc.

I explained it earlier, though this topic is long so it's understandable if you didn't see it

I actually forgot that Jill and Zihark can switch to the GMs. Zihark's flip ability is more to represent his really odd phases in the game. In DB chapters he's got one of the best offense and mediocre defense. Then when he hits part 4 (I didn't want to say "ZIhark - Part 4" so I just put Greil Mercenaries) he suddenly gets mediocre offense but one of the best defense. I can't think of any other character in the game who makes a drastic turnaround. Usually when part 4 comes around a character will get worse in both offense and defense (like Aran or Sothe) or get better in both (like Nolan or Mia). Or one area will get better or worse and the other area will stay the same (like Ike, whose offense probably takes a dip in part 4 due to more doubling issues but durability stays about the same, or Titania whose offense stays about the same but 20% def growth bites her in the ass and her durability starts to fall behind).

also, it seems there is one card in Alara Reborn with a coin flipping ability. yeah, it's only one, but I don't think wizards will completely phase out coin flipping.

Edited by Andrew W.K.

you're talking about something being impractical and you bring up things like 8 sided dice and 4 sided dice?

Okay,

a: I wasn't calling it impractical to flip coins. Anouleth was. I was just suggesting an alternative. Don't accuse me of things I didn't say. (if I say this enough maybe you'll eventually stop doing it. Ha!)

b: The only impractical aspect of the different dice is whether or not you have them. Anyone who plays D&D will have them. Chances are most other people won't. If you happen to have them, it is certainly easier and faster to roll two dice and make sure there is at least one that didn't roll "1" than it is to flip 5 coins to see if Zihark gets hit. Or to roll two 4 sided dice and one 8 sided die to see if Aran dies rather than flip 7 coins. It is certainly faster if you have them. If not, you are obviously stuck with the coin flipping idea, however tedious it may be.

edit: Also, some people suck at flipping coins. It doesn't spin enough and just wabbles a bit or something. Anyone with any semblance of coordination can roll a die.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

a: I wasn't calling it impractical to flip coins. Anouleth was. I was just suggesting an alternative. Don't accuse me of things I didn't say. (if I say this enough maybe you'll eventually stop doing it. Ha!)

By posting that post, you were implying that it was indeed impractical. Otherwise you wouldn't have bothered to suggest an alternative.

b: The only impractical aspect of the different dice is whether or not you have them. Anyone who plays D&D will have them. Chances are most other people won't.

*facepalm*

And that's why rolling 8 and 4 sided dice are impractical. Hell, a regular die is less practical than a coin.

If you happen to have them, it is certainly easier and faster to roll two dice and make sure there is at least one that didn't roll "1" than it is to flip 5 coins to see if Zihark gets hit. Or to roll two 4 sided dice and one 8 sided die to see if Aran dies rather than flip 7 coins. It is certainly faster if you have them. If not, you are obviously stuck with the coin flipping idea, however tedious it may be.

Flipping a coin takes all of five seconds at most.

I suppose the keywords and abilities can turn into "up to that many coins". So you flip "up to 7 coins" for Aran. I mean, if you get a tails on the first flip, there's no point in flipping the next six.

edit: Also, some people suck at flipping coins. It doesn't spin enough and just wabbles a bit or something. Anyone with any semblance of coordination can roll a die.

Are you serious? You don't need any coordination to flip a coin. You can just toss it into the air.

By posting that post, you were implying that it was indeed impractical. Otherwise you wouldn't have bothered to suggest an alternative.

If it makes you feel better to believe that, go ahead.

b: The only impractical aspect of the different dice is whether or not you have them. Anyone who plays D&D will have them. Chances are most other people won't.

*facepalm*

And that's why rolling 8 and 4 sided dice are impractical. Hell, a regular die is less practical than a coin.

No matter how impractical, at least it is less tedious. Anouleth's original complaint was "impractical", but I question whether he meant it that way. It's not hard to take out a coin and "toss it into the air" 5 times. So I'm thinking he meant "tedious" rather than "impractical". I could be mistaken, though.

Anyway, since coins are obviously more easily available than just about anything else, if you define "practicality" based on availability then coins are about as practical as you can get. When you start defining it in other ways? Maybe not so much.

If you happen to have them, it is certainly easier and faster to roll two dice and make sure there is at least one that didn't roll "1" than it is to flip 5 coins to see if Zihark gets hit. Or to roll two 4 sided dice and one 8 sided die to see if Aran dies rather than flip 7 coins. It is certainly faster if you have them. If not, you are obviously stuck with the coin flipping idea, however tedious it may be.

Flipping a coin takes all of five seconds at most.

I suppose the keywords and abilities can turn into "up to that many coins". So you flip "up to 7 coins" for Aran. I mean, if you get a tails on the first flip, there's no point in flipping the next six.

That works better, of course. Dice are still faster.

Are you serious? You don't need any coordination to flip a coin. You can just toss it into the air.

You need coordination to make it spin lots. If you are happy just tossing it into the air and letting it drop to the ground, then coins are actually pretty fast (and almost as fast as dice). Just grab 7 and throw them all into the air at once. I question how random that is, though.

Edited by Narga_Rocks