I don't get it

I love how a large complaint about this game is "it's too easy to grind everyone" when the tower and skirmishes are much less profitable for leveling up than the arena that has been present in all GBA games. Arena gives you money and costs no weapon uses, and winning there gives you much more EXP than killing any non-boss monster, while for tower/skirmish grinding you need to buy weapons.

Let's not forget two important things to go with this as well.

A. Most arenas have a shop where you can buy staffs at, so it's not like you can only stay at the arena for a short amount of time.

B. You can check your bet, and if it's unfavorable, you can reset, skip the bet and move on to the next, repeat till you come up with a favorable bet so that your character can't lose in the battle, or at least minimizes their chance at losing.

The tower and the ruins practically seems like an insult in comparison. Allow me to break the game PROPERLY, thank you very much!

While what the Colonel says is true, I don't think it's the fault of the PCs themselves. They have amazing growths, but they still have some form of weakness (except for Seth and Deussal), save for the like 4 god tier units out there. I mean sure the team is generally better, but the enemy also has better weapons to work with (they can actually hit you now), and there's quite a good mix-up of weapons throughout the game so that the triangle actually matters. Where I'd say the PCs pull a win over FE7's cast is that their supports are actually fast enough to matter. If supports in FE7 where as fast as FE8's, there'd be no question as to what the easiest game in the series is.

Anyways, enough of my nitpicking. I can agree with everyone in that I have no idea why people would hate this game. It's a perfectly fair game, and it has a charm to it that gets me hooked. The fact it's short makes me weep, but I'll get over it. A bit easy, but it's not like FE7 laugh your ass off easy at least.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Complaining about a game's difficulty is pretty pointless in the first place. FE8 just requires you to get creative in order to make it hard, for example using a team of shitty units with no supports and discarding Silver/S Rank weapons as soon as you acquire them. If you think FE8 is too easy, then the reality is that you're just too lazy to make it hard.

And that's what makes it awesome B)

I never it wasn't.Just a bit weird, being explicit like that.

You wanna see an orgy check out Roy's support list. 6 women ftw, and

*spoilers*

iirc he gets Guinevere if you don't get him a paired ending with anyone, so really he's got 7 women

Roy is a pimp. Or everyone wants power.

Other than a couple chapters, I actually found FE7 to be easier than 8. Throwing a bunch of awful enemies at you ain't hard.

I think that most difficult parts in FE7 involve getting into all the Gaiden Chapters.

FE8's enemies are better than FE7's at least.

Except the quality of FE8's PC is also noticably better.

How so? They get auto-leveled less and promoted enemies don't even get any bonus auto-levels for being promoted... Well, I suppose FE8 enemies have Luck.

I remember taking two screenshots to compare a long time ago: FE7 vs FE8.

The luck helps since the enemies aren't prone to a stray crit. IIRC there are more promoted enemies earlier and later on in the game in comparison to even the latest of HHM's enemies.

Aside from the complaints about its length and difficulty FE8 doesn't gives us a richly textured world.

All the texture that FE8 gives us is 'there's monsters ... and uh ... monsters ... and we won't even name most of the legendary heroes'.

With that said it has a kickass soundtrack and if someone think the game's really downright terrible then that person hasn't played any really shitty games.

I agree that FE8 is one my least favs, but it is by no means a bad game. Yeah, it is pretty easy and short and I'm not one of those gamers that demand their games to be super difficult (I am not a fan of Thracia 776's "You have a 99 hit % and miss, enemy has 28 hit % and criticals you :angry: " But it does make the game a little boring. The story wasn't anything special and monsters are weird in FE.

That said, it probably had the most varied paired endings of all FEs and one of the most complete endings (probably why we'll never see a sequel). Plus, Creature Campaign is nice time-killer.

its my favorite game mainly for the interesting plot, if i dont tower abuse it turns more difficult. The monster enemies make it feel more mystical for me, and i like that.

Edited by Queen_Elincia

Fire Dragon was the worst.

A lot of the final bosses were lame.

Ashera.

The Fire Dragon was just like this. "Now you will fight a creature with intelligence that should know it's screwed when there are heroes with legendary weapons that sparked the never ending winter.

Anyone who hates SS because of the tower doesn't know FE.

Ashera was actually fairly interesting, since it forces you to play well, unlike some bosses (Fire Dragon and DK can be taken out really easy with special weapons, Ashnard gets 1-rounded by Ike w/Wrath+Resolve). If you went into Endgame with a bad team, you could actually lose due to Ashera sleeping everyone and just thwacking Ike.

I just hate the IDEA of how weak of some of the enemy units in the game are. I'm pretty sure the HM berserker in the first ch w/ lyon (16?) has single digits in every stat but str. That kind of BS should not be allowed. Berserkers are badasses!

Also, I think the soundtrack is one of the worst. The only tracks I liked were some of the world map themes, the valni tower music, and the music for the final battle against lyon (honestly one of the best FE tracks).

Ashera was actually fairly interesting, since it forces you to play well, unlike some bosses (Fire Dragon and DK can be taken out really easy with special weapons, Ashnard gets 1-rounded by Ike w/Wrath+Resolve). If you went into Endgame with a bad team, you could actually lose due to Ashera sleeping everyone and just thwacking Ike.

First off, the wrath/resolve combo takes more preparation than placing recovery staff mages around ena (considering that you've already seen lekain mass-silence your guys in 4-F-1, albeit failing on any magic user). Second off, on HM the surprises of 1: Hey, the chapter started, where is my laguz royal, 2: holy crap he moves? and 3: wtf he has 2 forms!? makes it the best battle at least the first time you go through it.

Of course, I shoulda known that there would be something diff about Ashnard on HM. His boss music in the soundtrack has about 20 extra seconds of fanfare that only plays if you fight berserk ashnard on HM.

• 2 weeks later...

Complaining about a game's difficulty is pretty pointless in the first place. FE8 just requires you to get creative in order to make it hard, for example using a team of shitty units with no supports and discarding Silver/S Rank weapons as soon as you acquire them. If you think FE8 is too easy, then the reality is that you're just too lazy to make it hard.

This. Replay value and creative new playthrough ideas are the soul of Fire Emblem.

This. Replay value and creative new playthrough ideas are the soul of Fire Emblem.

Fuck Screw difficulty. I like that I don't just give up my team as soon as I finish. I can keep playing CC and doing other stuff until I feel I have compelted it.

• 2 weeks later...

Things I loved about FE8:

Branched promotions: Ross, Garcia, and Neime all can use swords.

I can train every single character due to the Tower. (Reminds me of how in grade school every kid was guaranteed 5 min of play during a basketball game, no matter how bad they were.)

Every character can S-rank a weapon, again thanks to the Tower.

No truly horrible units (other than the secret characters). Yes, Moulder, Dozla, and Rennac weren't great but they got the job done.

Speaking of Rennac, the rogue class in general for not needing lock picks.

Trainee units: Like nursing a sick puppy to health who then goes on to win the Westminster Dog Show.

Slayer: Ha ha, oh if you think the game is too easy maybe this is a bad thing about it.

Oh yeah: no Dorcas

• 1 month later...

Things I loved about FE8:

Branched promotions: Ross, Garcia, and Neime all can use swords.

I can train every single character due to the Tower. (Reminds me of how in grade school every kid was guaranteed 5 min of play during a basketball game, no matter how bad they were.)

Every character can S-rank a weapon, again thanks to the Tower.

No truly horrible units (other than the secret characters). Yes, Moulder, Dozla, and Rennac weren't great but they got the job done.

Speaking of Rennac, the rogue class in general for not needing lock picks.

Trainee units: Like nursing a sick puppy to health who then goes on to win the Westminster Dog Show.

Slayer: Ha ha, oh if you think the game is too easy maybe this is a bad thing about it.

Oh yeah: no Dorcas

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

• 3 weeks later...

I also liked SS, though it's the earliest FE that I've really played, so I can't compare it to the SNES/Other GBA ones.

I agree that it's on the easy side, but I can't really complain about that, since when I first played it, it was one of my first experiences with strategy games, and I actually had a pretty hard time beating it... :unsure:

I also liked SS, though it's the earliest FE that I've really played, so I can't compare it to the SNES/Other GBA ones.

I agree that it's on the easy side, but I can't really complain about that, since when I first played it, it was one of my first experiences with strategy games, and I actually had a pretty hard time beating it... :unsure:

I had hard time defeating Formotolis <_<

I personally hold this game as my favorite and I a very grateful for the things that it added, like navigating the map, buying weapons and items outside of chapters, and extra areas like ToV and LR. I don't see how any of these inclusions would make the game worse than other entries. If it bothers you so much, don't use it.

I think the reason why people think this game is so easy is because of Emulators and the use of save states. When you have an actual GBA and a single mistake you make might end up having you restart a chapter? Yeah, that's not fun. Sacred Stones allows you to either train or proceed with the story depending on what you decide.

If you want a challenge, try Hard Mode. On an emulator you might not even notice the difference, but on a GBA it's a different story. I am grateful that Hard Mode is challenging enough while not being overly frustrating. If you really want the frustration that was present in the previous entries of Fire Emblem, then yes, you might have to find your own ways to make it so.

I guess my point is that a game being easy is not a legitimate reason for it being bad.