ITT IS is sexist

Candlejack

What do you think the ratio of good females vs. bad females is?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Are females more good or more bad?

But that is for another day.

So, IS is sexist. Incredibly. You may ask, "But Sedgar, there are plenty of powerful female characters like Titania, Vanessa, Saphy, and others!

True, but I can really only count with two hands how many different female characters are in Top/High Tier; I might be exaggerating, but only by a small amount.

Now, I'll name every female character in Lower/Bottom Tier:

Evayle, Misha, Eda, Miranda, Est, Diadora, Elice, Sheema, Patty, Femina, Daisy, Midia, Maria, Nino, Karla, Juno, Wendy, Sofiya, Sue, Dorothy, Louise, Amelia, Syrene, Marisa, L'arachel, Neimi, Selena (Okay, she's not exactly playable, but she's a terrible character), Lucia, Elincia FE9, Ilyana FE10, Astrid FE10, Lyre, Meg, Fiona, Sanaki, Ena, Lethe FE10, Sigrun, and Vika.

*Gasp for air*

EDIT: I even forgot to mention FEDS and Tearring Saga chumps as well.

Edited by Sedgar the Hero

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because someone is low tier doesn't mean they are a bad character...

Tell that to those who create tiers. :|

Women are superior because there are no such thing as a male Pegasus Knight and Peg Knights fucking rule and you people know it.

FE6: Look at some of the best units: Lance, Alan, Dieck, Rutger, Miledy, Percival. Only 1 female. Look at some of the worst units: Juno, Sophia, Wendy. All female. In fact, FE6 seems to have a pattern where male units (Lugh, Rutger, Chad, Bors, Ray) join early and at a decent level while their female counterparts (Lilina, Fir, Cath, Wendy, Sophia) join late and extremely underleveled.

FE7: Top tier has 3/10 females. All three of the are there only because of support roles. High tier has 0/7 females. Upper mid has 2/10 females. Lower mid has 4/7 females. Yeah...

FE9: The only FE I've played that isn't sexist IMO...

FE10: The top few units: Ike, Haar, Sothe, Volug. All male. The bottom few units: Astrid, Meg, Fiona, Lyre. All female. Hmm...

FE11: There's one female in all of Top, High, and Upper Mid. w00t.

You can't really say that IS is sexist because there are more males in the higher tiers than females, because there tends to be more males in a game than females anyway. It'd be strange if out of the top 10 units, five were females and five were males, but there were 30 males in the game and 15 females.

You can, however, say that they're sexist based on how many females are in the higher/lower tiers out of the total number of females. Which is probably true. I can't be bothered to count but I'm pretty sure more females are in the lower tiers than the higher tiers.

They're about even, many just tend to like them so much they make Female only runs.

I dunno about DLV, but the only reason I did my girls run on FEDS was for shits, giggles, and fun, plus most of the female units in that game range from good to average to bad, so it qualifies as a good challenge run.

FE6: Look at some of the best units: Lance, Alan, Dieck, Rutger, Miledy, Percival. Only 1 female. Look at some of the worst units: Juno, Sophia, Wendy. All female. In fact, FE6 seems to have a pattern where male units (Lugh, Rutger, Chad, Bors, Ray) join early and at a decent level while their female counterparts (Lilina, Fir, Cath, Wendy, Sophia) join late and extremely underleveled.

FE7: Top tier has 3/10 females. All three of the are there only because of support roles. High tier has 0/7 females. Upper mid has 2/10 females. Lower mid has 4/7 females. Yeah...

FE9: The only FE I've played that isn't sexist IMO...

FE10: The top few units: Ike, Haar, Sothe, Volug. All male. The bottom few units: Astrid, Meg, Fiona, Lyre. All female. Hmm...

FE11: There's one female in all of Top, High, and Upper Mid. w00t.

You can't really say that IS is sexist because there are more males in the higher tiers than females, because there tends to be more males in a game than females anyway. It'd be strange if out of the top 10 units, five were females and five were males, but there were 30 males in the game and 15 females.

You can, however, say that they're sexist based on how many females are in the higher/lower tiers out of the total number of females. Which is probably true. I can't be bothered to count but I'm pretty sure more females are in the lower tiers than the higher tiers.

I have to go with Smash on this one. On both counts, I guess.

For the first paragraph, think about real world statistics. In a country with 90% of one race (A) and 10% of another race (B ), look at the number of accidents. If members of A are the cause of three times as many accidents as members of B cause, that doesn't mean A are worse drivers. Percentage-wise, B would be worse drivers.

For his second paragraph,

RD tier list:

9 females in upper mid or better. (29 total m+f) (0 in top, 4 in high, 5 in upper mid)

11 females in lower mid or worse. (29 total m+f) (4 in bottom, 2 in low, 5 in lower mid)

It's a little skewed against women, but not too bad. Well, top tier is exclusively male and bottom tier exclusively female. So that's questionable. However, in mid itself more females are near the top of mid than the bottom.

(I was ignoring transfers)

excluding that one chapter in FE4 there are nearly never female generics eather (not counting female only classes) there is only one Female generic in the entire GBA series.

Right below that top tier units are Clarine, Echidna and Lalum. Clarine was in the top tier itself for a very long time before some people recently decided a non-combat unit had no place there.

Also, the Est archetype units (Lilina, Fir, Sophia and Fa) are lower in the tiers and in initial usefulness but become very good units with a bit of training. Watching out for and training these characters also reintroduces a certain dimension of strategy that Fire Emblem games tend to lose after the first several chapters. There aren't very many male characters in this archetype, all I can think of for FE6 is Oujay and he fits the archetype almost as imperfectly as Wendy.

For the first paragraph, think about real world statistics. In a country with 90% of one race (A) and 10% of another race (B ), look at the number of accidents. If members of A are the cause of three times as many accidents as members of B cause, that doesn't mean A are worse drivers. Percentage-wise, B would be worse drivers.

Maybe this is all because women are crazier drivers....

The games are supposed to take place in the old days, where women weren't in armies. That's not sexist, that's just staying true to the source material.

Three points:

1) Traditional gender roles are very loose in Fire Emblem from what we can tell, if there are any.

2) Fire Emblem doesn't have source material to stay true to, all of the games take place in completely original fantasy universes. This is one of the reasons why some of them are so cheesy.

3) Even if the above two points were false, I could cite you a ton of examples of women serving openly in armed forces from ancient times to modern, especially irregular and resistance forces such as those the player tends to captain in Fire Emblem games.

To make things worse: whenever there is a female unit, a male unit that beats them.

For example:

Dean > Eda

Any cavalier in the CRK in FE10> Astrid

Lugh > Lillina

Erk/Pent > Nino

Cormag > Syrene

Rutger > Fir

I could list more, but I am tired.

I can see it now... Fire Emblem de Danjo... it's probably out there.

Cormag > Syrene

Why are you comparing Cormag and Syrene?

Edited by Naglfar

Rutger > Fir

Maybe in an efficiency tier list. These two are practically equal when properly leveled, with each having an edge in different stats and neither particularly better.

Lugh > Lillina

I could type the same thing as I did about Rutger and Fir, except Lilina generally ends up better than Lugh in the end.

Cormag > Syrene

How are these two even comparable?

For the other examples you listed, I agree, though only tentatively since I haven't played FE9 or 10.

Women are superior because there are no such thing as a male Pegasus Knight and Peg Knights fucking rule and you people know it.

Moar like men are superior because there are no such thing as female Berserkers and Berserkers fucking rule and you people know it, mirirte?

Erk/Pent > Nino

lolno. Have you seen Nino's caps?! They're ridiculous.

I don't want to get into a Nino debate, but that's a stupid point. You can't just say "She has great caps, she's great!" By that logic, Seth sucks, and Eirika and Ephraim are just awful. If you look at her bases and how long she's there for, it becomes very obvious that Erk/Pent>Nino.

I think it would be sexist if there were NO women whatsoever in the army, and instead only stayed in the kitchen, with supporting roles.

That isn't the case, though.