What anime/manga are you following right now?

Hatari

Prolly my favorite anime would be along the lines of Neon Genesis Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain, Welcome to the NHK, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Gundam: 08th MS Team, Aria: The Animation and Elfen Lied, if that'll paint any sort of picture of my tastes. I will also happily watch anime that's weak story-wise if it's got wicked art or style.

If you liked 08th MS Team, I would also recommend Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket and Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory. Unlike 08th which is almost all land, these take place mostly in space. Pocket is one of my favorites. Its combat is good but infrequent, and is more about the story of a colony caught between fed and zeon secret operations. Even though the music is some of the most upbeat, and sounds like a toy store a lot of the time, I'd say it's one of the most grim Gundam series. Only 6 episodes! Features my favorite christmas episode in any anime. 0083 sort of feels like a tribute to Top Gun, and is totally rad and boner. I really love some of the action in this series. The one year war has ended, but Zeon remnants steal one of two Gundam prototypes in an Australian base, and Federation troops (with the other Gundam prototype) scramble to stop them.

Hikarusa (not sure what his username on here is right now) recommended VOTOMs to me some time ago. It's an 80s slightly pre Gundam sunrise anime. The main character, Chirico, doesn't really have an ubersuit like a gundam - instead he mostly uses gruntmechs like all his enemies use. This show is pretty long, around 50 eps IIRC. Also the third of 4 arcs is unfortunately pretty bad. But the first is good, and the second and fourth are fucking amazing.

I have watched some of SPT Layzner, a show which starts with Russia and America still fighting the cold war even as they both colonize Mars. It's kinda silly but still awesome IMO. The fights can sometimes be a little unsatisfying though since the robots are so dodgy and rely almost entirely on laser guns and missiles. I still like the fights though.

Edited by Hawkeye Hank Hatfield

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished rewatching Code Geass. Forgot how amazing that show was. I remembered the ending, but couldn't remember how it got up to that point so I rewatched it and enjoyed it. Definitely suggest it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Now I'm in a pickle though since I think I've seen all the anime on my list. Chances are I'm forgetting something though.

(」・ω・)」うー!(/・ω・)/にゃー! (」・ω・)」うー!(/・ω・)/にゃー!

(」・ω・)」うー!(/・ω・)/にゃー!  Let's\(・ω・)/にゃー!

Nyarko is the best comedy airing currently. More references than you can shake a stick at and a delightful interpretation of the Cthulhu mythos. What is not to like?

I actually haven't seen but with this new found knowledge I will give it a go. >w>

The premise just gave me that impression most anthropomorphed stuff has.

God help you are messing around even though I'll probably keep watching.

I actually haven't seen but with this new found knowledge I will give it a go. >w>

The premise just gave me that impression most anthropomorphed stuff has.

God help you are messing around even though I'll probably keep watching.

I could just be blocking out certain things, or have a different fanservice threshold. To be honest it reminds me more of Excel Saga than anything else.

I mean, there are the occasional suggestive moments, but you certainly don't get upskirts, panty shots, cleavage, etc.

A lot of failed attempts by Nyarko to make out with Mahiro, or by Kuuko to make out with Nyarko, etc. though, but I don't really see that as fanservice, just hilarious.

• 2 weeks later...

Anime without fanservice is like staring at a wall.

NU FUN

Paranoia Agent has fanservice that works to be as creepy as possible. The scene with the prostitute servicing the otaku is one of the most messed up scenes in that anime because the otaku doesn't even notice the woman, he keeps talking to his dolls. Also, the policemen taking pictures of his daughter stripping. THAT is messed up. The series is still great.

As for what I'm watching... I need to start the new series by Shinichiro Watanabe, Kids on the Slope.

Now Watching

- Hunter X Hunter

- Campione!

- Space Brothers

- Mobile Suit Gundam AGE

- Polar Bear Cafe

- Eureka Seven AO

- Ginga e Kickoff!

- Saint Seiya Omega

- Fairy Tail

- Sket Dance

- Area no Kishi

- Hyouka

I could just be blocking out certain things, or have a different fanservice threshold. To be honest it reminds me more of Excel Saga than anything else.

I mean, there are the occasional suggestive moments, but you certainly don't get upskirts, panty shots, cleavage, etc.

A lot of failed attempts by Nyarko to make out with Mahiro, or by Kuuko to make out with Nyarko, etc. though, but I don't really see that as fanservice, just hilarious.

Holy crap it must be amazing

Watching Dennou Coil, it's really good

Oh yeah, I finished this since I made this post. It's really fucking good. I would say its only big weakness is that it starts to get more supernatural as it goes along despite its primarily technological focus, which is an issue, but it's still really good.

Paranoia Agent has fanservice that works to be as creepy as possible. The scene with the prostitute servicing the otaku is one of the most messed up scenes in that anime because the otaku doesn't even notice the woman, he keeps talking to his dolls. Also, the policemen taking pictures of his daughter stripping. THAT is messed up. The series is still great.

I watched the first episode and it seemed pretty stupid, i didnt even see any fanservice

I watched the first episode and it seemed pretty stupid, i didnt even see any fanservice

The episode focusing on the prostitute is episode 3. The issue with the daughter finding out that her dad is taping her strip is episode 6. There's a lot more going on in Paranoia Agent than you first notice, it's a really well-done series. As for the fanservice, Satoshi Kon *hated* fanservice because of what it has done to Japanese culture (worship and borderline stalking of high schoolers, see the policeman incident) so when it shows up it is to be as disturbing as possible.

Finished watching FMA, gonna watch Brotherhood now. Seeing as I had pretty low expectations and expected it to be along the lines of something like Naruto or Bleach, I can say it easily exceeded that and I really enjoyed watching it. Hope Brotherhood is just as good (if not better).