What anime/manga are you following right now?

Hatari

You should try watching:

Armoured Trooper Votoms

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

New Mazinger Z

New Getter Robo

(my top 5 anime on MAL, in order

QUICK ONE OF THESE DOES NOT QUITE FIT RELATIVE TO THE OTHERS FIND IT!!)

Edited by R-1 X Valhawk

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should try watching:

Armoured Trooper Votoms

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

New Mazinger Z

New Getter Robo

(my top 5 anime on MAL, in order

gonna have to go with puella magi madoka magica (is there an abbreviation for this?). Nothing to do with mecha haha

gonna have to go with puella magi madoka magica (is there an abbreviation for this?). Nothing to do with mecha haha

Neon Genesis Evangelion (probably my favorite)

Zoids New Century Zero and Genesis

Full Metal Panic

i dont like you (not saying these are bad mecha series, I love Zoids NCZ, but REALLY)

They are both okay, from what relatively little I've seen of them. BUT REALLY how can you say "nothing to do with mecha" when you call Evangelion your favorite?

I didn't remember Bake being quite so prevalent with the fanservice. Has my memory of it just degraded with age?

I re-watched it recently. It was more fanservicey than I remembered, but not nearly as full-force as Nisemonogatari.

They are both okay, from what relatively little I've seen of them. BUT REALLY how can you say "nothing to do with mecha" when you call Evangelion your favorite?

He was saying that Madoka had "nothing to do with mecha".

He was saying that Madoka had "nothing to do with mecha".

And that's why he said he was gonna watch it.

edit: blargh bal explained it to me on irc I'm DUMB

Edited by R-1 X Valhawk

Did I mention Persona 4 the Animation is the greatest game-to-anime adaptation ever? (I'm afraid I'm not watching anything else right now, though.)

And that's why he said he was gonna watch it.

What.

What.

I have a bad habit of adding dumb extra things to the ends of my posts and not expecting anyone to respond to them so I forget they were ever there to begin with

Edit: But really is it so horrible to expect someone to reply to the actual content of a post that was directed at them

Edited by R-1 X Valhawk

You misunderstood me. I said that as a response to the little part that you added.

Madoka is about magic, so it doesn't fit lol. Never did I say that was the reason (or not the reason for that matter) as to why I would watch it. I love the mecha genre of anime, but that's not all I will watch (as seen by the shonens i watched when I was younger, cowboy bebop, etc). Eva is in it's own category imo.

To actually respond to the important part of your post now. I've been told that I would love Gurren Lagen. I don't know much about it, just that it's mecha and kinda similar to Eva. Someone want to enlighten me a little more or should I just trust what people are telling me and just start watching with no prior info?

EDIT: Apologize for any confusion caused on my part.

Edited by Helios

To actually respond to the important part of your post now. I've been told that I would love Gurren Lagen. I don't know much about it, just that it's mecha and kinda similar to Eva. Someone want to enlighten me a little more or should I just trust what people are telling me and just start watching with no prior info?

ha ha ha who told you it was anything like Evangelion. It's more about just being completely awesome than anything else, though it honestly has a couple episodes early on which aren't so good.

ha ha ha who told you it was anything like Evangelion. It's more about just being completely awesome than anything else, though it honestly has a couple episodes early on which aren't so good.

Being completely awesome? Good enough reasoning for me lol. I'll check it out and formulate my own opinions. And then we can have a beautiful discussion about it.

Care to expound on that thought?

The beginning of the series is horrendous (no pun intended). The first episode is filled with awkward pauses, generic music, and completely unnecessary cutaways to creepy dolls that essentially exist to let viewers know that you are watching a horror series, but since nothing horrific is happening at the moment, you have to settle for these creepy dolls, and as a mystery story too, the only mystery the viewer is left with after watching the first episode is the mystery as to why I should continue watching this series. The trend of constantly reminding the viewer that they are watching a horror series continues into the next episode, where you still have more unnecessary creepy dolls, and the art scene at the beginning of the episode when the art kid just has to happen to draw a disturbing picture of a lemon. But the 2nd episode doesn't stop at just that. We also have to deal with the annoyingly disturbing bird (which was in the first episode too) and scenes where the music being played exists to raise the tension of the viewer only to have absolutely nothing happen. Episodes 3-5 then enter a rut of all following the same exact pattern (rest is spoilered because of spoilers):

Episode begins with resolving the cliff hanger made in the previous episode, then we proceed to follow the MC trying to learn what the mystery of class 3 is throughout the majority of the episodes, and most of the information being given is just repeats of stuff mentioned in the previous episode, and all of it being things that the viewer learned in the beginning intro of the first episode. During these useless and aimless adventures(for the viewer anyway), the MC constantly encounters people who know the mystery, but either won't tell him for no good reason or become unable to convey the information because of either simply forgetting or because of his phone losing calls(which seems to be the series general trend of introducing), and in one case, the kid with the heart condition just happens to have a heart attack when he decides to spill the beans. We then end the episode on a cliff hanger of someone dying, but in the case of episode 5, someone already died in the middle of the episode, so the directors just decided to end the wondering about the mystery and this foolish rut by fully conveying information to the viewer that we have essentially already known since the beginning of the series.

But hey, once episode 4 starts, the creepy dolls and bird scenes start to show up less often/not at all since horrific things are actually happening now!

So now that we've gotten through 5 episodes of utter crap, we finally get to have a good episode! Episode 6 is easily the best episode so far. The story finally starts to actually move, and the dancing scene is cute. The only problem with the episode is that it ends on the teacher ass pull.

Further spoiler about episode 7 and the series as a whole in terms of things the anime hasn't covered yet:

Episode 7 merely serves to set the series up for the climax, but we have to deal with the teacher clean up so...

Episode 8 was a beach episode with a nice boat, but nothing really happens again.

For these reasons, I find it somewhat safe to say that Another is objectively terrible. It does have good artwork (outside of the facial expressions people make when they die), and, although generic, the music still sounds pretty good (though OP is god awful though).

As for my opinion on the story and characters, the basis of the story isn't that great, and all the characters are pretty bad. If the spoilers about the series are true, the conclusion to the mystery is really stupid, though what could be the final scene of the series is pretty neat.

I had to rush a bit at the end since I am busy at the moment, but I hope this is a decent explanation.

If I were to rate Another as a series:

Ep 1-2: 1/10

Ep 3-5: 4/10

Ep 6: 8/10

Ep 7-8: 6/10

Maybe the climax will be really good though, but atm it's pretty terrible overall.

The beginning of the series is horrendous (no pun intended). The first episode is filled with awkward pauses, generic music, and completely unnecessary cutaways to creepy dolls that essentially exist to let viewers know that you are watching a horror series, but since nothing horrific is happening at the moment, you have to settle for these creepy dolls, and as a mystery story too, the only mystery the viewer is left with after watching the first episode is the mystery as to why I should continue watching this series. The trend of constantly reminding the viewer that they are watching a horror series continues into the next episode, where you still have more unnecessary creepy dolls, and the art scene at the beginning of the episode when the art kid just has to happen to draw a disturbing picture of a lemon. But the 2nd episode doesn't stop at just that. We also have to deal with the annoyingly disturbing bird (which was in the first episode too) and scenes where the music being played exists to raise the tension of the viewer only to have absolutely nothing happen. Episodes 3-5 then enter a rut of all following the same exact pattern (rest is spoilered because of spoilers):

<snip>

For these reasons, I find it somewhat safe to say that Another is objectively terrible. It does have good artwork (outside of the facial expressions people make when they die), and, although generic, the music still sounds pretty good (though OP is god awful though).

As for my opinion on the story and characters, the basis of the story isn't that great, and all the characters are pretty bad. If the spoilers about the series are true, the conclusion to the mystery is really stupid, though what could be the final scene of the series is pretty neat.

The cutaways to the dolls are no more unnecessary than the cutaways to "Black Scene" or whatever other panels Shinbo does in Bake (or Nise), and may in fact be much more necessary when considering the doll shop, and the close connection that the lead female has with it. It may or may not even be some foreshadowing, in addition to the mood setting, so it's by no means pointless, and their inclusion by no means makes the series "objectively terrible". Neither is your professional assessment that the music is "generic" in any way "objective" either. It's been weeks since I watched the first episode, but I don't remember it being excessivly awkward, nor in any way boring. On the contrary it outlined the atmosphere in a clever enough way to leave me wanting more. Whining about "nothing happening" also isn't productive, and is hardly any closer to "objective" either, as there is in addition to mood building a fair deal of groundwork laying, and the establishement and development of the characters. Just because it isn't an action-based supernatural horror, doesn't mean it can't fulfill it's job properly. Atmospheric and mystery horror are perfectly valid. In fact, speaking of mystery, I find myself drawing more and more comparisons between Another and Higurashi. Both have extended downtime, mood-building, and character development. Both lead into the mystery slowly, and parcel out the new information gradually. Both allow for copious fanwankery of trying to solve the mystery ahead of schedule, or for fans to just sit back comfortable and enjoy it as whatever end twist is coming unveils itself in its own time. Both also indulge in the darker and bloodier aspects of the genre as well.

I'm not sure what your beef is with people's facial expressions during death either, but given that I enjoyed Higurashi-style facial distortions, I'm having absolutely no issue with anything Another has to throw my way. Also, contrary to your claim that much of the show is just "conveying information to the viewer that we have essentially already known since the beginning of the series," I find that assessment to be patently false. If the show ends up blowing it with the big reveal, then it's simply a case of wasted potential, which is distinctly different than "objectively terrible".

You are certainly free to find it personally distasteful, but in that case make sure you realize you're leaving "objectivity" by the wayside.

The cutaways to the dolls are no more unnecessary than the cutaways to "Black Scene" or whatever other panels Shinbo does in Bake (or Nise), and may in fact be much more necessary when considering the doll shop, and the close connection that the lead female has with it.

No, they are really unnecessary, awkward, and all around plain stupid, even factoring the connection to the doll shop, and the same could probably be said of the black scenes in Bake/Nise (I haven't seen them though so...). It's just bad directing.

in addition to the mood setting,

To an extent, this is exactly what I referred to these scenes as. They attempt to add in some sort of scary feeling into the series to make up for the lack of actual horror, and the result is just poorly done.

Neither is your professional assessment that the music is "generic" in any way "objective" either.

When you watch Another, and hear the music, it is typical music you would expect to hear in any kind of horror series, and thus generic. This generic music just adds onto the fact that they want the viewer to know what kind of anime they are watching despite the fact that nothing of the sort is happening, which takes away from the experience of the first few episodes. I would say the music is good, but it is just executed so poorly that it takes away from the experience, and this is especially the case in episode 2 where all the music tries to raise the viewers tension, only for literally nothing to happen that would require the need to raise the viewers tension.

nor in any way boring. On the contrary it outlined the atmosphere in a clever enough way to leave me wanting more. Whining about "nothing happening" also isn't productive, and is hardly any closer to "objective" either, as there is in addition to mood building a fair deal of groundwork laying, and the establishement and development of the characters.

You actually enjoyed the first episode of Another? It's easily the worst thing I watched all season, but whatever. And I never said that nothing happens in its entirety, but merely that nothing happens to show that the series is really of the horror genre through the story telling, other than the intro in the beginning of the episode. Actually, if that introduction didn't exist, the series would have been much better off, since then we wouldn't have had to deal with the repetitiveness of episodes 3-5.

Just because it isn't an action-based supernatural horror, doesn't mean it can't fulfill it's job properly. Atmospheric and mystery horror are perfectly valid.

It is and I never said it wasn't, but Another's execution of such things is poorly done.

mood-building, and character development.

Both of which I would argue are poorly done as well, especially in the case of character development, considering most of the characters who die barely receive any development at all leaving me to wonder why I should care that they even died,

Other than the Nurse and maybe the first girl to die atm. Does the kid who died in the beach episode or the girl who almost got crushed by glass even have any character development at all really? And the guy with the heart condition barely has any character development, other than his initial introduction. Lack of character development is also why the teacher killing himself is an asspull.

parcel out the new information gradually.

It takes six episodes for us to really learn anything new at all in Another that we haven't already learned, and then the series actually starts to move and attempt to be interesting.

Both allow for copious fanwankery of trying to solve the mystery ahead of schedule, or for fans to just sit back comfortable and enjoy it as whatever end twist is coming unveils itself in its own time.

It's able to do that much at least.

I'm not sure what your beef is with people's facial expressions during death either

I find them laughably awful.

Also, contrary to your claim that much of the show is just "conveying information to the viewer that we have essentially already known since the beginning of the series," I find that assessment to be patently false.

All throughout episode 3-5, I found myself constantly saying "We already know this", and was completely unsurprised by what Mei had to say at the end of episode 5, which is meant to be a big reveal. The two people I watched this show with felt the same way, but they enjoy Another more than I do.

...Welp, regardless of the Another debate, I am currently watching:

Another (because I usually can't pass down anything in the horror genre)

Persona 4: The Animation (<3 Persona)

Natsume Yuujinchou (Rather, I'll be starting the first season this week. Heard good things about this series!)

Katekyo Hitman Reborn (Rewatching. Probably not a popular series here, but I'm fond of it all the same~~)

Durarara!! (Rewatching as well.)

If anyone has any horror anime recs, please let me know. C: When it comes to horror, I prefer psychological/atmospheric stuff over action and gore~

Edited by Kaiyumi

If anyone has any horror anime recs, please let me know. C: When it comes to horror, I prefer psychological/atmospheric stuff over action and gore~

I would suggest Devilman Lady, 3x3 Eyes, and Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro for sure. Probably some others like GANTZ, but that one's definitely steeped in gore.