Favorite Video Game Music

Fayt Zelpher

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This simply screams awesomeness. A remix of FF6: The Decisive Battle, and easily one of the best things to ever grace human ears.

Giygas attacks with this music:

You cannot grasp the true form of this song's epicness.

Ness's body went numb

Paula began to dance ecstatically

Jeff began to build a music box for this song.

Poo got hurt and collapsed...

Edited by Randomly Predictable

This simply screams awesomeness. A remix of FF6: The Decisive Battle, and easily one of the best things to ever grace human ears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9cFAdAp010&feature=related

Giygas attacks with this music:

You cannot grasp the true form of this song's epicness.

Ness's body went numb

Paula began to dance ecstatically

Jeff began to build a music box for this song.

Poo got hurt and collapsed...

More FF epic remixes (complete with Michael Jackson kicking ass):

FF5, fuck yes.

Most of my favorite VG music made it into Super Smash Bros. Brawl, especially the Metroid and Zelda tracks. I tend to like a lot of FE music as well, my favorite being On Glory's Wings in FE10.

I specialize in the RPG, hence my selection of songs. Unfortunately, excluding MOTHER (and FE), there is no RPG music on Brawl. :( And for some reason, I found Melee superior. Maybe it's more that I really got into RPG's after Melee, so I had time to enjoy it for what it was, but still, everything I've heard suggests that Brawl is far superior.

You forgot pokemon music. Pokemon is an RPG.

I generally like at least one song from any video game I play. My favorite overall soundtrack for a game is probably the soundtrack from one of the following games: FE 4, FE 10, FE 11(1, 3), Final Fantasy 4 and 6, Virtual On Cybertroopers: Operation Moon Gate, and Chrono Trigger, with Chrono Trigger probably being my favorite one.

Megaman, FE, FF, Pokemon, Mother/Earthbound, and Metroid are my favorite series in terms of over all good music.

As for what my favorite VGM are, I'll try and list a few of them as I have trouble deciding which ones I like the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKojJdtW0L8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc5eBlwac6U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDGVZUaCLFE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIwG-BH3DeE

Most of my favorite songs come from FF6. I think my overall favorite might be Phantom Train. Shadow's Theme and Slam Shuffle (Zozo music) are also great.

Anyway, I'll start with one soundtrack that gets overlooked because it plays exactly once in its game and generally isn't even on long enough to cycle through a full time because the battle is real quick. Nonetheless, I think it far outstrips both OWA and Birth of a God.

Ya, I like Jenova complete a lot. I'm not even a big fan of OWA. The Jenova battles from FF7 remind me of the battles against the Virages in Legend of Dragoon (they actually look a lot like jenova birth/life/death), I like the boss music that plays in those fights - and other major boss battles - a lot.

Another FF track I think is incredible is Man With a Machine Gun, Laguna's battle music from FF8.

As anyone who has read my profile knows, I'm quite the fan of the relatively obscure PS1 RPG Legend of Legaia. It's time that you experienced the Mist firsthand (and no, NOT Ike's sister!!!). Dark enough for the atmosphere of the game while still perfect for the would-be final boss.

Actually, one song I really like from Legend of Legaia is the song that plays on the opening menu screen. Very calm and tranquil, appropriate to certain parts of the game when it is not played too (I think of it when I re-grow the genesis trees).

More FF epic remixes (complete with Michael Jackson kicking ass):

FF5, fuck yes.

FF12 has a really great remix of the Big Bridge song when you fight the elite mark gilgamesh. (who is pretty hard during the second half of the fight, especially if you're only around the 50s in level).

Since you found that, I should also show you this, by the same people:

http://www.hcn.zaq.n...rsf/frame1.html

The battle scenes against the three statues and Kefka have remixed boss music from FF6, but I think the rest of the music is the same as the original game's music. There are also similar videos for FF4 and 5, but I don't believe any of the music in that is remixed. (though it is epic to see gilgamesh-3D0 slice-and-dice necron-ps1's components)

There's also two other Michael Quest videos:

Edited by SeverIan

I prefer the FF5 Gilgamesh music to the FF12 Gilgamesh. However, FF12 Gilgamesh can be tricky. A good level to shoot for is 67. That way, you've got the levels to beat him, and are not affected by the level 2, 3, and 4 attacks he uses. If you don't have this level (or say 71 or 73), at least have characters of different levels that won't all be affected by the same spell. Other than that, go with high speed and attack weapons and beat the stuffing out of Enkidu. Once he goes down, the battle gets much easier.

Anyway, FF12 aside, it's time for some music from a different game. Playing during what may be the very hardest RPG boss EVER (provided certain conditions are met). If you're not at least level 220, this guy is going to kill you (and presumably, the universe) over and over again. Though I like the original a lot, I present a remixed version of the music of the final boss of Star Ocean: The Second Story.

Yikes, gone past one page and I didn't see any mention of Falcom music. Just some random favourites of mine.

(Zwei!!)

(Ys Origin)

(Ys II)

Innocent Primeval Breaker (Ys 7)

(Ys Oath in Felghana)

EDIT

Found someone mention Oath in Felghana. I can sleep happy now.

Edited by VincentASM

Whew. I see VASM on my topic and am worried that this topic's getting locked and/or I'm getting ban-hammered for it...

Methinks this thread needs more Chrono Trigger. I will provide.

Zelda: Majora's Mask - Stone Tower Temple theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spAiJM3E5Z8&fmt=18

In my opinion it mirrors perfectly the creepy atmosphere of the colorful world of Termina.

Sonic Adventure 2 - Soarin' Over The Space

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKH9LPAJ6hE&fmt=18

The theme plays in Eggmans last level in the Dark Side story. I just love it. If I close my eyes I can still see Eggman walking past any resistance foolish enough trying to stop the evil genius who gets closer and closer to his ultimate goal of taking over the world.

Pokemon Stadium - VS Mewtwo or whatever this track is called

Mewtwo, he is badass enough to take on an entire team of 6 of your best Pokemon all by himself and that with style, thanks to his awesome theme.

While we are talking about Mewtwo, he really knew how to make a good entrance back then:

The song alone don't show the epicness, you have to see it in action, which is why I posted the above video. If you only want to hear the theme choose the link below.

Man, I still miss this guy in Brawl.

Metroid Prime -The theme against that bee hive thing. I hate this thing, it's the first real boss and you get knocked around by bees all over the damn place and of course you can easily drop into the acid. Bees. My god, I hate them, I hate them so much. Couldn't this boss have appeared AFTER I got my first energie tank? But still: awesome theme.

You beat all the bosses in "Fire Emblem The Binding Blade" while listening to the same 2 songs, and then those 2 dragons show up and waste 2 awesome boss themes in 2 rounds. Idoun's battle theme takes the cake though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h1v66v7rUo&fmt=18

And since I like the track here are his 2 other incarnations of the game

Idouns theme (I could only find this arranged version sadly)

and the version in the ending:

Her theme is so awesome I can even forgive her for turning the Shamans of Elibe into Dark Magic users. Or it was the work of the "Ending Winter", I don't know.

And from "Fire Emblem Seisen No Keifu" - The chapter 5 theme. IS really wanted to let us know how things would turn out in advance.

Edited by BrightBow-User

Zelda: Majora's Mask - Stone Tower Temple theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spAiJM3E5Z8&fmt=18

In my opinion it mirrors perfectly the creepy atmosphere of the colorful world of Termina.

Oh, HECK yes. This is by far the best track from LoZ:MM. Many thanks for this one.

Glad I'm not the only one who is so amazed by this. It kind of looks like such a simple track to me, a happy melody in the foreground and a few dark noises in the background and yet it still manages to be so intimidating that it almost makes me wish Navi would appear yelling: "Listen!" to drive off the anxiety caused by this song.

Edited by BrightBow-User

Glad I'm not the only one who is so amazed by this. It kind of looks like such a simple track to me, a happy melody in the foreground and a few dark noises in the background and yet it still manages to be so intimidating that it almost makes me wish Navi would appear yelling: "Listen!" to drive off the anxiety caused by this song.

You should listen to

Mario Paint Composer recreation. It's pretty good.

I wouldn't have expected to see a Mario Paint song. A really nice one.

And the annotation at the beginning is quite funny to me. Looks like the author doesn't quite grasp the true nature of the theme or else he wouldn't be surprised that this composition of his is so popular. :lol:

Well, speaking of Mario Paint Composer, I thought it a good idea to post one of the best videos I've yet seen on MPC, a recreation of the (not-quite) final boss battle of Final Fantasy X. Alright, so you technically have one more real boss battle and then some story boss battles, but I just didn't care too much for the music in them. This music, however, is awesome (and no, that's not an opinion).

I like countless VG music, such as...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO34ixsNZaE

Iron Blue Intention from Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

I also like most of Radiant Dawn's music, Embodiment of Change and Finale in Fear serving as examples.

I like countless VG music, such as...

Iron Blue Intention from Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

I also like most of Radiant Dawn's music, Embodiment of Change and Finale in Fear serving as examples.

Silent Prison: This was my favorite song from Castlevania: PoR

Portrait of Ruin had a pretty mediocre soundtrack. Too bad, too. Yuzo Koshiro and Michiru Yamane are both amazing, it should've turned out a lot better but somehow it has a lot of excess fat. Best tracks are obviously The Gears Go Awry, Hail From the Past, A Small Prayer, Piercing Silence, The Hidden Curse and Victorian Fear. The rest range from good to average and it has at least one really terrible track (Great Gate of Darkness).

Kind of disappointing for a Castlevania game.