Things that made you say, "What were you thinking IS?"

Deliriyum

FE6: way too many seize chapters, Wendy's join time circumstances

FE7: most supports take too long to form, S weapons are only available in the final chapter so for most characters getting S rank weapon levels is kinda pointless, need to get Nils to Lv 7 to access a hidden chapter, requirements for getting Karla

FE8: too easy, character portraits are kinda weird, character sprites are kinda just different colours of the same sprites from the previous GBA games

FE9: repetitive music, skills disappear forever when removed, weapon ranks take long to level up, only a few S rank weapons are available without hacking, only 3 knives, sages can use knives with their horrible strength, can't reread support conversations, Makalov (bright pink fro and orange armor, WTF)

FE10: lack of support convos and little character personality, unbalanced characters and classes, sage and paladin caps, 70+ characters and only 10 can go to endgame, most characters have horrible availability and don't have time to level up, Part 1 is so much harder than the rest of the game, MakalovXAstrid paired ending, laguz transformation gauge especially cats, despite all its flaws its still my fave FE game cause the gameplay is awesome

All FEs excluding 10: why it's possible to get 0 stat ups on a level up

Edited by Killer Poleax

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barst and the 3 cavaliers don't completely break the game. Also I feel that the discrepancies between units make the game much more balanced than Radiant Dawn's "everyone is pretty much the same stat and growth-wise and caps everything at the end, so those with the highest avaivability, level and best class win". Yeah, something being more balanced by being unbalanced sounds like an oxymoron but RD showed us that the opposite is possible.

Funny how you avoid saying that gameplay-wise it is the logical evolution and improvement of branched promotions.

A Fire Emblem with no story would be a Fire Emblem with just trial maps.

Just because Shadow Dragon doesn't interrupt the game with 10 minute long cutscenes it doesn't mean that it has no story.

Call me when 3D FEs will have fortresses, villages, thickets, pillars you can stand on and the same terrain types look more varied.

I'd have liked RD's plot more if it only focused on the Dawn Brigade and it would've stayed as a straight 'good vs. evil' plot. To you people who will say "At least they tried to be original!" there's a reason why our favorite video games, movies, books, etc. are variations on the same few story types.

-----

On topic, what was IS thinking when enemies in FE5 can strip your units off their entire equipment the same turn they capture them. The first thing that comes to my mind when thinking about "The Computer is a cheating bastard" is this.

Ok... who is useful in FE:11 .... Cain, Abel, Frey (unusable in anything but normal), Barst, Cord, Ogma, Merric, Navarre... the rest of the cast is divided among mediocre and useless, with the majority going to the latter. Now I have heard that Jeigan is necessary for the really high difficulty setttings for earlygame, but I wouldn't know... SD bores me to much for another playthrough.

Atleast branched promotions kept the units in logical classes that -somewhat- suited them... class swap doesn't. Now, I never said that I liked branched promotions, but I hate class swap far more, because it just upsets the balance of the game further and hurts the significance of many characters.

Ok fine... Shadow Dragon tells one of the most cliche'd story types ever written, while speaking in a monotone the whole time.

LMFAO... so you think the 2d FE's have more varied maps because you can stand on the support pillars for the buildings for some completely illogical reason? Compare anything the 2d FE's can give to the actual variety of the console maps. One map you're marching across a bridge while the enemies fire ballistas and catapults at you and any wrong move results in your unit falling in a pothole. Just 2 maps later, you're climbing up a 2 path mountain/slope while enemies push boulders with varying paths down at you. THAT is variety. Oh and the 3d FE's pillars work like pillars should... not like paper thin walls that your character can somehow phase through/jump on top of. Oh and 3d FE's do have thickets and villages. Nice try though. Fortresses... I'll admit those don't appear, but geez... do you really want the 3d maps to be covered in rediculously small buildings that trivialize the term "fortress"? I don't... now if they applied the same bonuses to barricades or tents... that'ld be fine.

RD's plot was well done... except for badly handled spoilers like the Black Knight's identity... the Dawn Brigade was just half-assed... either make good use of them or don't use them at all.

You forgot Sedgar, Wolf, and Caeda who are all better than most of the people you listed. Cord's great. There's a long list of good units. There's just a long list of crappy units, too.

There isn't much in the way of character. It's mostly units, so who cares if you change their class?

It WAS written 20 years ago...

I think RD had a good plot until part 4. Then it sucked.

You forgot Sedgar, Wolf, and Caeda who are all better than most of the people you listed. Cord's great. There's a long list of good units. There's just a long list of crappy units, too.

There isn't much in the way of character. It's mostly units, so who cares if you change their class?

It WAS written 20 years ago...

I think RD had a good plot until part 4. Then it sucked.

How did I forget Sedgar and Wolf... well those two are absolutely game-breaking in and of themselves... Caeda... isn't she low in the tier list? She is certainly not better than anyone I listed. But the list of good units pretty much ends there, give or take 2 or 3 units. That still leaves over half (maybe as many as 3/4) of the cast who are mediocre or even absolutely horrible.

Still... when there isn't much in the way of character, when you change their classes you completely trivialize what little identity and novelty they did have.

Don't care. Bad games or plots are not to be babied because "They were good for their time."

Even after P4, RD's plot was above average by FE standards... did it suck? Yes, but not half as much as most FE plots. Before P4, RD had one of the 3 best plots in the series hands down.

Caeda... isn't she low in the tier list?

She is the second highest ranked character in the game, last I checked. At least, assuming full use of Warp - if not, she's the fourth highest ranked character in the game.

PoR: Battle animations look like shit, skills, bands, Shinons recruitment...

I didn't think the battle animations sucked. Some were quite cool, actually. It's one of the things that first made me fall in love with Ike, actually. I thought the way he was posed right before attacking as a Ranger was cool and his crits were just awesome...

The other crits were too. Aether is also really cool. :3

What was so bad about skills? No comment on bands, as I never used them. Shinon's recruitment I will agree with. The second one that is. Came way too late.

What was so bad about skills?
I think the most notable of the stem of complaints was because some were nerfed from their SNES incarnations (A perfect example was Astra, Dmg X 5 > (Dmg X 0.5) 5. Wrath was a nerf too compared to its FE4 incarnation, as in FE4, it raised the crit rate to 100% on half health. While the same skill in PoR raised the crit rate by 50% under the same activation conditions. Same with Miracle as far as the Tellius version goes when compared to both Jugdral versions.) Others were probably just plain useless. (Provoke, Shade, Gamble, Parity had limited usefulness.) Others complain that the skills themselves allowed limited unit customization. Once a skill was removed, it was gone, end of story.

I don't know if this was a good explanation behind the complaint about skills in PoR though.

I think the most notable of the stem of complaints was because some were nerfed from their SNES incarnations (A perfect example was Astra, Dmg X 5 > (Dmg X 0.5) 5. Wrath was a nerf too compared to its FE4 incarnation, as in FE4, it raised the crit rate to 100% on half health. While the same skill in PoR raised the crit rate by 50% under the same activation conditions. Same with Miracle as far as the Tellius version goes when compared to both Jugdral versions.)

The ridiculously broken skills are one of the biggest flaws of that game, though. Even nerfed to lierally half effectiveness, they're still really good.

Edited by Saloma

Heh. Imagining skills of that caliber in a game of PoR's difficulty is causing me immense amusement right about now. Thanks, Sweets.

What wrong with Phantoms? They walk on swamps but not necesarily on water.

And bands are awesome when they increase growths if worn.

there's nothing bad about it I liked it but it made me think "What were you thinking IS?"

and as for the battle animations, well I played PoR after having beaten RD so by comparison they were not very good, promoted Ike was the only one I kept on, unprompted was the main reason I turned them off.

there's nothing bad about it I liked it but it made me think "What were you thinking IS?"

and as for the battle animations, well I played PoR after having beaten RD so by comparison they were not very good, promoted Ike was the only one I kept on, unprompted was the main reason I turned them off.

Battle animations were pretty boring. In addition, some aren't that smooth. For example, if an transformed Hawk fights a beorc, the beorc needs to step forward after the laguz attacks, which is annoying.

And there are a lot of nice touches in the RD animations that don't exist in the PoR animations. Soldiers and Armours block with shields, and whenever a mounted unit enters a battle, they charge in.

FE4:

- Enemies have infinite ammo (weapons don't break)

- Individual money (And you cant transfer money between units /*Unless they are in love)

FE5

- I lol'd when I could make villagers run against ballista guys. Just to make things easier for us.(nice way to become a hero Leaf)

- Healing can miss their target.

- Status effect (HNNNNNGGGGGGG...Forever)

FE7:

-Lucius. (1st Fire Emblem Game... hot blond girl.... that girl was a guy. Ugh)

- Nino (Why so late ? =( )

FE8:

- Easy. lolmonsters.

FE9:

- Devdan is a creepy guy.

- Makalov is watching you sleep.

FE10:

- Laguz transformation system. Humans > Laguz.

Sub-humans

FE8: Myrrh's dragonstone: one way to make a potential good character worthless, because by the time she was on a decent level, you didn't have your dragonstone anymore. Also, the monsters; I'm just not really a fan of zombies :P

FE10: The supports(suprise! :o). Aran would have been so much cooler if he actually had a personality :(