S Rank Tier List for FE7

Life

Serra should be a tier above Priscilla. She's around longer and will have a higher level than Priscilla, especially if Lyn mode is completed. Priscilla isn't even necessary except for getting easier EXP, as more than one staff user is quite redundant before they gain access to offensive magic. Thus, until Priscilla is promoted, she is effectively useless except to get free experience points at a minor cost to funds. In fact, I do believe that Serra should be in a tier of her own (accompanied perhaps by Ninian/Nils, Matthew and Marcus) thanks to being the party's exclusive healer throughout Lyn mode and for the first 20% of HHM.

The stupidity in this paragraph is astonishing. Do you even understand how tier lists work?

I'm sure the rest of your post isn't smart either but I couldn't take any more at the time of posting.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stupidity in this paragraph is astonishing. Do you even understand how tier lists work?

I'm sure the rest of your post isn't smart either but I couldn't take any more at the time of posting.

Just about sums it up.

Serra should be a tier above Priscilla. She's around longer and will have a higher level than Priscilla, especially if Lyn mode is completed. Priscilla isn't even necessary except for getting easier EXP, as more than one staff user is quite redundant before they gain access to offensive magic. Thus, until Priscilla is promoted, she is effectively useless except to get free experience points at a minor cost to funds. In fact, I do believe that Serra should be in a tier of her own (accompanied perhaps by Ninian/Nils, Matthew and Marcus) thanks to being the party's exclusive healer throughout Lyn mode and for the first 20% of HHM.

Having never tried S Ranking HHM (I will one of these days), here's my take on it: Serra's apparent level lead is negated by Priscilla being able to heal more often once we get her. Hence, the level difference is null. That also means Priscilla is contributing more to the Exp rank, whereas Serra is contributing less. On promotion, their combat is bad anyway, so you wouldn't want either of them in combat anyway, lest you adversely affect your Combat rank.

Although I do agree that Raven is slightly more powerful, I am of the opinion that Guy and Raven should be in the same tier. Guy joins slightly earlier and will be more powerful than Raven by the time Raven becomes available. Guy has an easier time killing fatter targets upon promotion thanks to the critical boost and supports that potentially increase this even further, and a significantly higher skill growth lends to being able to kill easier even with a WTD or against a boss character with high AVO. Thanks to a higher Luck stat, Guy also has improved survivability from Raven despite roughly equal HP, Def and Res. Raven does have a notable advantage in the form of higher Str, 3 points of Con, and access to axes including the flexible Hand Axe, however I feel that the existence of Reaver weapons, the Light Brand, and earlier join time are points that make the effectual differences between Guy and Raven to be too negligible to warrant a differentiation of tiers between them.

Guy's sword lock does not help his case. And when you say "fatter" targets, Raven doesn't need to crit to probably at least put it in killing range of someone else, if not kill it outright. And Raven can crit sufficiently as well. Raven's offense > Guy's offense. Axes really help that much.

Guy's 30 Str growth does not help his offense. What level would you have Guy by C17? He needs to be Lv10 on average to MATCH Raven's base Str, and Raven's Str growth is much higher. I don't think Guy could get to Lv10 by then.

All in all, basically it's 15 crit vs higher Strength and weapon type. The crit is negligible when Raven doesn't need a crit to kill things. That is all.

Despite free/mandatory deployment in a half-dozen chapters of HHM, Eliwood is bloody useless. Why is he so high on the list, even going so far as to place him in the same tier of undisputed gods like Hector and Oswin? Eliwood has nothing going for him except for being a mandatory deployment in a few chapters. He can't kill anything, he can't defend against anything, he's locked to swords and can't even promote until chapter 26 or whatever it is. Even with that promotion he still takes another few chapters before he's able to reliably kill something without using a killer weapon, and even then, why not just use some other character much better than Eliwood if something needs to be killed? What really irks me is that for some reason he is, not only considered to be better than Lyn (despite Lyn potentially being level 20 and boosted with an Energy Ring and Angel Robe from Lyn Mode), but an entire two tiers better.

@Bold: ...What? Are you trying to troll? Because this tier list operates under the assumption that we S rank LHM as well, as far as I'm aware. If not, then there are still better uses for all the Exp that goes to Lyn in your scenario anyway. And possibly the Ring and Robe as well.

As for Eliwood, I'm not actually sure why. But if I'm right, then once he gets out of his earlygame rut, he's not actually that bad. Also, Cav chipping Prf weapon as well.

Edited by Mist

Although I do agree that the total absence of any error or fallacy made on my part is truly stupefying, I must bring to your attention the contradiction you make upon subsequently insinuating a notion that would conflict with said theoretical perfection. Would you please clarify?

Serra's apparent level lead is negated by Priscilla being able to heal more oftenonce we get her. How's that? Hence, the level difference is null. The level difference is oftentimes as much as 9, which is hardly null. That also means Priscilla is contributing more to the Exp rank, whereas Serra is contributing less. But staves give the same exp per use no matter what level the user is On promotion, their combat is bad anyway, so you wouldn't want either of them in combat anyway, lest you adversely affect your Combat rank. Maybe if you promote them really early. Is that what you're supposed to do to get an S rank?
Edited by Viceroy

Although I do agree that Raven is slightly more powerful, I am of the opinion that Guy and Raven should be in the same tier. Guy joins slightly earlier and will be more powerful than Raven by the time Raven becomes available. Guy has an easier time killing fatter targets upon promotion thanks to the critical boost and supports that potentially increase this even further, and a significantly higher skill growth lends to being able to kill easier even with a WTD or against a boss character with high AVO. Thanks to a higher Luck stat, Guy also has improved survivability from Raven despite roughly equal HP, Def and Res. Raven does have a notable advantage in the form of higher Str, 3 points of Con, and access to axes including the flexible Hand Axe, however I feel that the existence of Reaver weapons, the Light Brand, and earlier join time are points that make the effectual differences between Guy and Raven to be too negligible to warrant a differentiation of tiers between them.

Guy would need to gain seven levels in five chapters in order to match Raven's strength when he appears. That level is a little bit too high to be expected when S Ranking where we want to spread experience as far as possible.

Guy's supports are non-existent. Matthew has poor combat and is constantly busy doing other things. Priscilla is slow and is constantly doing other things because she has 7 move and staff rank. Rath and Karel and Louise are jokes. Raven's small chance of getting to support Lucius is better than this.

In addition, Raven kicks Guy's ass later on. 18/1 Raven w/Steel Axe has 28ATK and 16AS, enough to 1-round 100% of Wyverns in FFO. With a Hand Axe, he drops to 24ATK, enough to ORKO 100% of Pirates. With a Killing Edge, he has 26ATK, which 5HKOes and doubles Linus. Guy only 7HKOes. Guy's poor strength is inexcusable. For example, with a Steel Sword he would have 21ATK, which fails to 2HKO the Sage and is borderline on 2HKOing Mercenaries.

Even the existence of Reaver weapons do not allow Guy to 2HKO Wyverns, and Light Brand is a terrible weapon. Even at max level, Guy has only 18 attack with the Light Brand and cannot critical.

Although I do agree that the total absence of any error or fallacy made on my part is truly stupefying, I must bring to your attention the contradiction you make upon subsequently insinuating a notion that would conflict with said theoretical perfection. Would you please clarify?

Do you really think that you will get anywhere by being arrogant, or by making needlessly verbose posts?

Edited by Anouleth

There is honestly no point in taking extra turns earlygame just to get in extra heals. The meat of staff EXP comes with Physic, Torch, and Barrier, which are all easily purchasable in chapter 22. Priscilla and Serra can staff spam all they want until 20/0, which is a point they'll only reach late in the game.

Serra's apparent level lead is negated by Priscilla being able to heal more oftenonce we get her. How's that? Hence, the level difference is null. The level difference is oftentimes as much as 9, which is hardly null. That also means Priscilla is contributing more to the Exp rank, whereas Serra is contributing less. But staves give the same exp per use no matter what level the user is On promotion, their combat is bad anyway, so you wouldn't want either of them in combat anyway, lest you adversely affect your Combat rank. Maybe if you promote them really early. Is that what you're supposed to do to get an S rank?[/i]

@Bold: Higher movement. +2 move allows her to keep up with the frontliners.

@Italics: As far as I'm aware, if you S-Rank LHM, Serra could not be level 10 by C15 (Priscilla won't have time to heal in C14). Level 5 or 6, maybe.

@Underline: But because Priscilla can move farther, that why she can contribute more than Serra, not due to Staff Exp.

@Bold Italic: They shouldn't see combat at all. Ever. They are meant to be healers. And you have better combat units anyway, why have these two get in the way?

Edited by Mist

Do you really think that you will get anywhere by being arrogant, or by making needlessly verbose posts?

Yes, and I do believe that the amount of discussion I've generated in less than a half-hour evidences this fact. As for your Guy vs. Raven argument, you have convinced me. I am overly fond of sword users and high AVO, after all.

There is honestly no point in taking extra turns earlygame just to get in extra heals.

How is it an "extra turn" if the healer has to DO SOMETHING anyway? Are you saying that it'd be better for them to just hit the "stay" button instead of getting 11-12 experience per turn spent healing?

@Bold: Higher movement. +2 move allows her to keep up with the frontliners. Is that really an issue when most of your force can only move 5 spaces anyway? I've never had any problem getting a heal in each turn for Serra and Priscilla whilst avoiding being attacked by enemies.

@Italics: As far as I'm aware, if you S-Rank LHM, Serra could not be level 10 by C15 (Priscilla won't have time to heal in C14). Level 5 or 6, maybe. Perhaps it is not as high as 10 but I think it is at least 6. There's probably an easy way to make sure, though.

@Bold Italic: They shouldn't see combat at all. Ever. Doesn't Priscilla get more exp per combat turn than other units at the same level? I know that's how mounted magic users in FE6 and FE8 worked. Plus, they make decent backups in the rare player phase that all necessary targets are not eliminated by stronger player units. They are meant to be healers. And you have better combat units anyway, why have these two get in the way? Emergencies like when a proper defensive formation can't be executed, or in the more-often-than-not scenario that Serra or Priscilla actually are able to ORKO an enemy unit, such as Wyverns or Knights.

Edited by Viceroy

@Bold Italic: They shouldn't see combat at all. Ever. They are meant to be healers. And you have better combat units anyway, why have these two get in the way?

Can't agree with this, actually. Granted you get them promoted early enough (my HHM S rank had them at 20/1 by Unfulfilled Heart) they definitely should enter combat, both because they are good at it and because they have a class experience bonus. Staff experience gets cut in half and healing is less valuable in general at this point, so they should be fighting more than healing.

Pretty much see here. Priscilla will be above Serra before she is below.

Oh, and being a healer in LHM, aside from the fact that units aren't credited for LHM, is worse shit.

Despite free/mandatory deployment in a half-dozen chapters of HHM, Eliwood is bloody useless. Why is he so high on the list, even going so far as to place him in the same tier of undisputed gods like Hector and Oswin? Eliwood has nothing going for him except for being a mandatory deployment in a few chapters. He can't kill anything, he can't defend against anything, he's locked to swords and can't even promote until chapter 26 or whatever it is. Even with that promotion he still takes another few chapters before he's able to reliably kill something without using a killer weapon, and even then, why not just use some other character much better than Eliwood if something needs to be killed? What really irks me is that for some reason he is, not only considered to be better than Lyn (despite Lyn potentially being level 20 and boosted with an Energy Ring and Angel Robe from Lyn Mode), but an entire two tiers better.

I fully support this. Lyn > Eliwood.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

I laughed at a good portion of this.

While I believe that Serra is actually better than Prissy for the purposes of S Ranking (the fact that she's been around for those 3.5 extra chapters means something when those chapters are really freaking hard), your arguments for Serra over Prissy are horrible. Serra does not ever make Prissy redundant. Just like how Prissy never makes Serra redundant. For a good portion of the midgame, there's a good chance that you'll find yourself fielding both of them on a map. Such as Pirate Ship, Dragon's Gate and New Resolve just to name a few. Not to mention that Serra gets no credit here for existing in LHM. We just credit her with the proper level that she comes out of it from. Which means that she promotes about a chapter ahead of Prissy. Big whoop.

Also, with regards to Eliwood and Lyn, I want to look at one specific line.

He can't kill anything, he can't defend against anything, he's locked to swords and can't even promote until chapter 26 or whatever it is.

Congratulations. With the exception of the "can't kill anything" part, you gave yourself the title of hypocrite. Lyn has even worse defense than Eli (considering that she's more of a glass cannon than Lucius), she's locked to swords and she "can't even promote until chapter 26 or whatever it is". It's possible that Lyn gets the Angelic Robe (unlikely since Florina and Matthew are much better choices) but there's no chance that she gets the Energy Ring. Since she doesn't even need it. The Mani Katti is good enough as it is.

Now Eliwood. He does have incredibly mediocre bases but he also gets a nice Prf weapon in the Rapier. This thing puts a major hurt on anything that messes with Eliwood, especially cavalry. Oh and once Eliwood gets going (thanks to a great and quick Hector support that requires 3 turns for a C), he really gets going. He gains a horse and Lances on promotion which is much better than Lyn getting Bows. Durandal is easily a better weapon than the Sol Katti (it effectively has 22 Mt while the Sol Katti has 12 Mt), even without the critical on it. Oh and at that point, Eliwood can, you know, take a hit to the face and live to tell the tale about it. And he does exist for a good 7 chapters before Lyn.

If Lyn got Axes instead of Bows on promotion (I'm imagining Echidna here) along with some natural Crit, I'd be pushing for Lyn to be better than Eliwood (since she comes pretty close to matching Raven offensively in the lategame before Raven's 1~2 range). But she doesn't. Sorry.

I want to knife you in the eye.

You wrap around a simple sentence in words you probably learnt from studying Frank Herbert's Dune hexalogy. Absence of error or fallacy? You argue Serra is better than Priscilla because of the fact that she is around longer and potentially higher leveled. This is like arguing a veteran with two guns is more skilled and more valuable in combat than a tank being handled by a relatively rookie engineer because "he's been around longer boy, he know 'is shit." Mildly exaggerated, of course. And not really that applicable. Oh hell.

Then you take this to the point of saying Serra should be above all.

Knife right in the eye.

Edited by The Valter

Now Eliwood. He does have incredibly mediocre bases but he also gets a nice Prf weapon in the Rapier. This thing puts a major hurt on anything that messes with Eliwood, especially cavalry. Oh and once Eliwood gets going (thanks to a great and quick Hector support that requires 3 turns for a C), he really gets going. He gains a horse and Lances on promotion which is much better than Lyn getting Bows. Durandal is easily a better weapon than the Sol Katti (it effectively has 22 Mt while the Sol Katti has 12 Mt), even without the critical on it. Oh and at that point, Eliwood can, you know, take a hit to the face and live to tell the tale about it. And he does exist for a good 7 chapters before Lyn.

I don't know if you could call Eliwuss's 12 base ATK with the Rapier 'major hurt'.

How is it an "extra turn" if the healer has to DO SOMETHING anyway? Are you saying that it'd be better for them to just hit the "stay" button instead of getting 11-12 experience per turn spent healing?

No. You are putting words in my mouth. You can afford to go faster and consequently get less opportunities at healing because later on, when you have access to better staves, you will have more turns to milk them for EXP.

(the fact that she's been around for those 3.5 extra chapters means something when those chapters are really freaking hard)

I strongly disagree with this.

12: Can't hardly do anything because of Pegasus Knights.

13: Bit of an easier time depending on how you do it, but there are still a lot of ranged enemies.

13x: Lol Nomads in the dark.

And Marcus is in his prime on these maps, as well as the maps being much easier on Oswin due to him not needing to travel as far. 3.5 may also be saying a bit much since Serra has to take a turn to recruit Erk first, and you'll have Priscilla ready by turn 5 or 6. In the end, I guess that's about half, it just isn't worth much.

Congratulations. With the exception of the "can't kill anything" part, you gave yourself the title of hypocrite. Lyn has even worse defense than Eli (considering that she's more of a glass cannon than Lucius), she's locked to swords and she "can't even promote until chapter 26 or whatever it is". It's possible that Lyn gets the Angelic Robe (unlikely since Florina and Matthew are much better choices) but there's no chance that she gets the Energy Ring. Since she doesn't even need it. The Mani Katti is good enough as it is.

If the Mani Katti is so good she doesn't even need the Energy Ring, then how is she not better than Eliwood when they practically tie every area except offense, where Lyn wins?

I'll get to the rest later. No time now.

And here we go.

Now Eliwood. He does have incredibly mediocre bases but he also gets a nice Prf weapon in the Rapier. This thing puts a major hurt on anything that messes with Eliwood, especially cavalry. Oh and once Eliwood gets going (thanks to a great and quick Hector support that requires 3 turns for a C), he really gets going. He gains a horse and Lances on promotion which is much better than Lyn getting Bows.

Wait. How long does it take for Eliwood to get going? Your paragraph here implies it takes until promotion. Lyn's been raping shit for a while now, but a 7 move horse so late suddenly makes Eliwood better?

Durandal is easily a better weapon than the Sol Katti (it effectively has 22 Mt while the Sol Katti has 12 Mt), even without the critical on it. Oh and at that point, Eliwood can, you know, take a hit to the face and live to tell the tale about it. And he does exist for a good 7 chapters before Lyn.

Those are for one whopping chapter. Also note that Lyn is much more likely to double with her Sol Katti and effective damage applies to, what, 2 enemies? Wait, maybe one. And if Lyn has A Florina she has a nice chance of landing a crit on the Fire Dragon, very likely putting her at higher damage than Eliwood.

If Lyn got Axes instead of Bows on promotion (I'm imagining Echidna here) along with some natural Crit, I'd be pushing for Lyn to be better than Eliwood (since she comes pretty close to matching Raven offensively in the lategame before Raven's 1~2 range). But she doesn't. Sorry.

Actually, I disagree here. Axes would just weigh Lyn down. Bows give her a different kind of niche in helping with the Wyverns and doubling other fast enemies like Valkyries from range. It's situational, but I'd say Bows is actually quite a good weapon of choice for Lyn.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

Red, I'm going to have to take up arms against this Lyn > Eliwood notion. I was perfectly willing to concede it over in the Efficiency List, but we've had this discussion to death over at the GameFAQs boards, and Eliwood always comes up comfortably on top. Perhaps you can make a more compelling case than usual, but I feel like we'll need a proper debate first. Just some things to think about:

-Because experience matters, and because he's got a cavalier- and knight-effective weapon, Eliwood will be seeing a lot of combat early on

-Eliwood has a good five chapter lead over Lyn, and despite your implications to the contrary, he'll be doing plenty in each

-Lyn may have a slight advantage for a few chapters with the Mani Katti; we should crunch numbers, but I doubt it'll turn out that significant

-The second promotion hits and/or the Mani Katti breaks, Eliwood > Lyn is a lock for the remainder of the game

-Because experience matters, and because he's got a cavalier- and knight-effective weapon, Eliwood will be seeing a lot of combat early on

-Eliwood has a good five chapter lead over Lyn, and despite your implications to the contrary, he'll be doing plenty in each

I don't think his extra maps are a negative or anything, but beating only the likes of Rebecca and Bartre just isn't good. Rapier effective bonus is really only good for finishing off kills, which isn't so special when you think about it because anyone not named Rebecca can give us the same.

-Lyn may have a slight advantage for a few chapters with the Mani Katti; we should crunch numbers, but I doubt it'll turn out that significant

-The second promotion hits and/or the Mani Katti breaks, Eliwood > Lyn is a lock for the remainder of the game

What the? Even if Mani Katti breaks before promotion, Lyn still doubles, and by that point Killing Edges are probably buyable, meaning she doubles with good crit while Eliwood still has trouble doubling at all. I don't find Eliwood's promotion too special, either, considering his performance up until then. He might be better, but even then I think you'd have to look at it case-by-case.

Lyn > Eliwood doesn't really matter for now, but get him the fuck out of High tier. Just look at who he's above:

Florina

Pent

-Upper Mid-

Harken

Lucius

Geitz

Legault

Fiora

Canas

Dorcas

Hawkeye

What the hell. Eliwood is not so much better that he deserves even a one tier gap, and he sure as hell isn't better than most of these people (Dorcas and maybe Canas are the only ones I could see him standing a change against).

Why would Mani Katti ever break? Lyn's not even being deployed every map. And it makes a fine Hammerne candidate.

Aye, that it is.

I believe the top of Upper Mid is a good place for Eliwood to be, at least to start things off. We can debate Eliwood/Harken, and see where things go from there. On another note, isn't Dorcas supposed to be just above Geitz? That's where he was in the most recent GameFAQs list, at least.

Aye, that it is.

I believe the top of Upper Mid is a good place for Eliwood to be, at least to start things off. We can debate Eliwood/Harken, and see where things go from there. On another note, isn't Dorcas supposed to be just above Geitz? That's where he was in the most recent GameFAQs list, at least.

Too bad we're not going by the most recent GameFAQS list.

It's a start. In other news...

What happened to Raven and Oswin dropping and Heath possibly going up? Any more thoughts on those?

Too bad we're not going by the most recent GameFAQS list.

Christ man, you are the most sarcastic user on this board. Good thing Gaiden is your favorite FE.

I can outline the basic argument behind Dorcas > Geitz, but it essentially boils down to early-game versus late-game, and they're about equal in both.

Christ man, you are the most sarcastic user on this board. Good thing Gaiden is your favorite FE.

I can outline the basic argument behind Dorcas > Geitz, but it essentially boils down to early-game versus late-game, and they're about equal in both.

Last I checked, I argued Dorcas down on the grounds that he's not 2 tiers better than Bartre and moving Bartre up is a joke. Geitz is miles and away better than Dorcas.

Last I checked, I argued Dorcas down on the grounds that he's not 2 tiers better than Bartre and moving Bartre up is a joke. Geitz is miles and away better than Dorcas.

Dorcas comes at Ch.12, meaning he's got a 16-chapter availability lead over Geitz. That's huge. All the while, because of his excellent base stats (which put him miles above Bartre), he's dealing heavy damage and reliably one-shotting a good deal of enemies, especially with specialized weapons like the halberd. Once Geitz comes along, he'll replace Dorcas, no question; that doesn't change the immense contribution Dorcas makes to the early game.