what video game sequel do you hate most and why

aizengard

I didn't like Brawl because it felt like EVERYONE was nerfed. Some in varying degrees. I could pwn shit to hell and back in Melee, because at least he was STRONG, but in Brawl, he just...sucks. Samus, of course, was TOTALLY nerfed, and they only *slightly* made up for it by making her moves *slightly* faster. Course, despite all this, Brawl did make it easier *For me* to do the Missle Punch a lot more reactively than proactively. But then, the move sucked in Brawl, so eh.

Hell ZSSamus is better than Samus.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sonic: Next Gen if that counts. Well... There was one worse sequel, but I chose to forget.

I gotta agree with you there,it sucked donkey nuts.

Sonic Heroes 2...because it doesn't exist...:[

I didn't like how SSBB took SSBM's controls and made it a lot less smooth and more complicated.

Thanks for reminding me of SSBB, I couldn't think of anything else that disappointed me as much as this game.

It was rubbing salt in the wound what with the tripping, taking out L-cancel, lack of hitstun, etc.

...about the controls, if anything SSBM is a lot more complicated, though more sophisticated.

Also lack of Japanese voice track!!

and making Ike fighting for his friends and taking no sympathies...

Edited by Deretsun

Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World.

I was very disaponited with it. One thing was that they tured it in to pokemon and I didn't like some of the new voice actors. I might only hate them because I hate Wendee Lee as a voice actor and her choice for Lloyd and Raine.

Them's fighting words...

She voiced Nel Zelpher...

Back on topic, let's see. I guess that I don't play a lot of series games. And thankfully, I've been fairly lucky when it comes to purchasing games as well.

However, there are a couple of games that come to mind:

Super Mario Bros. 2 (the American version / Doki Doki Panic) sticks out most though. It's just... not Mario. It took the elements that made Mario great and completely rewrote them. I'll probably always consider SMB2 a low point for Mario. And this is coming from someone who liked SMS.

EDIT: Super Paper Mario... Not a bad game, but PM1 was :awesome: and PM2 was :awesome::awesome::awesome:

Edited by Fayt Zelpher

Fucking Wendee Lee is EVERYWHERE.

Xiao Qiao, Da Qiao, Zhen Ji, Selphy, Nemu, Oichi, Ina, BlackRose, Rozalin, Taro...

Er, Sonic: Next Gen, every FF MMORPG, and Mana Khemia 2 was quite a disappointment,

There was a time when I would have said Devil May Cry 2, not so much because it's bad, but because it's so much worse than the original. However, having 3 and 4, which are both very decent games (though I prefer the original to either of the good sequels) make up for it.

Actually, Devil May Cry 2 is a valid contender for worst sequel of all time. The first innovated upon the action genre and single-handedly spewed out dozens of hack-n'-slash action titles. It was natural for everyone to expect the second title to be just as groundbreaking, and just as natural for them to freak the fuck out when it wasn't.

Though I have to say, the second title might have ended up a bit of a boon, as it lowered expectations enough for the third installment to explode in popularity. Not to say the title didn't carry itself, of course.

Really? I've never played the original NES FFII but I liked the PS1 version. Very good music, and even though the levelling up system was kind of annoying I thought the dungeons were kinda fun to explore and the story was pretty good.

The leveling system is the reason that game is higher up in my list of the FFs. It was a great system that I wish would be touched up for use in modern RPGs.

I dont know it if really counts a sequel but FFVIII was probably the worst game i have ever played. Ever.

I'm developing a machine to electrocute people over the internet.

As to the worst sequel I've ever played...that's kind of hard to say. I've played games that failed as sequels but performed well as games (Halo 2, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, Jak 2, etc.), and I've played games that did well as sequels but failed as games (...actually, I can't think of many that come to mind), so it's kind of hard to say. I'm just going to conclude that it would have to be something everyone thought would be great, but it turned out to suck dick comparatively (so horrible sequels like that one Bomberman one on the Xbox don't count), so I'm going to have to give it a toss-up between Super Mario Bros. 2, Xenosaga, Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness, and Devil May Cry 2.

I think Justice For All takes the cake for me. Uninteresting cases, some boring designs/characters, uninspired music (for the most part), cheap wins (Phoenix pressures the true criminal into submission for almost every case through mostly conjecture instead of, say, definitive evidence or powerful bluffs [like what he did in case 4 of the first game] ) and the magatama sequences were too dragged out. Of course, I can say the same for Trials and Tribulations (the magatama part) but at least that game had some really great things to make up for it.

Though case 4 was pretty great (what with having a reformed Edgeworth returning in full glory and being a decent case overall) and all in all, it wasn't a bad game, just a very poor sequel to the mind blowing first game.

Edited by Robin Mask

Video game sequel?

New Prince of Persia game by a mile. It's great on the eyes but the second that I have to mash X to kill a boss (as in a quick time event), I get turned off. Aside from the bosses (final boss isn't that bad), it's a decent game. But the bosses absolutely killed it. Not to mention that when I look one way and push forward, I expect to move in that direction and to jump in that direction.

I can't think of a sequel I hated but Dynasty Warriors six was disappointing after the excellence that was five.

Cut back on characters, new designs for most are ugly, got rid of Zhou Tai's katana and made Dong Zhou look like a Clive Barker creation. Fighting doesn't feel right either, combos too loose.

Edited by Pride

I hate to join the Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World bandwagon, as I actually like it, but something that I really hated that has only been alluded to was the lack of new characters at all. There's Emil and Marta for new playable characters and... that's it. I guess you can count Richter for the small portion that you do play as him, but everyone else is just a boss or an NPC. Now, this may have been slightly less prevalent if you could level up the original cast and buy them armor/weapons, but no, that's not going to happen.

Also, it's pretty damn short. The original Symphoina had to be split into two separate discs. Dawn of the New World could probably be beaten within a few days at the very most, especially since it's so easy (the only enemies I had any trouble with were Hawk and those monsters with him the first time around, and that's because I was underleveled).

I can't think of a sequel I hated but Dynasty Warriors six was disappointing after the excellence that was five.

Cut back on characters, new designs for most are ugly, got rid of Zhou Tai's katana and made Dong Zhou look like a Clive Barker creation. Fighting doesn't feel right either, combos too loose.

It actually improved on the level design though. For once it wasn't just flat levels where you just have to mash buttons. : (

It actually improved on the level design though. For once it wasn't just flat levels where you just have to mash buttons. : (

True, and being to climb mountains and swim and stuff was appreciated. Along with being able to call the horse.

Fucking Wendee Lee is EVERYWHERE.

Xiao Qiao, Da Qiao, Zhen Ji, Selphy, Nemu, Oichi, Ina, BlackRose, Rozalin, Taro...

I knew Taro sounded like someone else.

First off, Radiant Dawn and Metroid Prime 3 were both awesome. Yes the supports got screwed in RD, but it's a much more challenging game and it does a good job of combining 3D graphics with the over-the-top animation styles of FE6-8. Meanwhile, I really had fun with Corruption by pointing my wiimote where I want to shoot.

Anyway, from a historical perspective, the worst sequel would have to be the American Super Mario Bros 2. It's a really radical departure from its predecessor, a game which basically established the industry as we know it. On the other hand, it's still kind of fun.

Also, Super Mario Sunshine sucked donkey nuts.

SMB 2 USA, that continued Mario Madness, that even had Mario Madness on its cover, was a perfect and faithful sequel despite the Doki Doki Panic roots. The gameplay certainly wasn’t a natural evolution. However, the premise of SMB 2 was the same. Mario and Luigi, and this time Toad and Princess Toadstool, are the outsiders. Instead of Mushroom World, it is Dream Land. And Dream Land is just as fantastical and amazing. Flying carpets, magical doors, Birdo (who, himself, is quite a wonder), magic turnips, Bob-ombs, Mouser, and the rest were all fantastical and amazing.

Super Mario Brothers 2 had the ‘magic’ of Arabian Nights in it in a way. The game was a great wonder and sparked the imagination. No one desires to buy the Japanese version of Super Mario Brothers 2, but the Japanese still seem to be enjoying Super Mario Brothers USA. It is clear who got the superior game.

I get very annoyed when ‘journalists’ write that Zelda II or Super Mario Brothers 2 were ‘disappointments’. The games were consistently sold out and parents were driving to different states to get the game. There was a massive cartridge shortage in 1988 I believe.

Seriously, I feel as if all the SMB2 hate these days comes from people who read that it's based off Doki Doki Panic and went "omg it wasn't a mario game from the very beginning?!?!?!?! D: D: D: D:". And what would you rather have as a sequel: A 'hard' mission pack or a game set in a completely new world?

I forgot to mention in my first post that, overall, SMB2 is a good game, in the top 90% (perhaps 99%) of all nintendo games. I personally liked it better than the Japanese SMB2. But all the criticism of SMB2 cannot be born out of a vacuum.

Let's compromise and agree it was definitely better than Sunshine. Honestly, I simply felt dirty playing that game. From the artwork to the music to the difficulty, it felt like I was having my teeth scraped.

As long as I'm going back and retracting statements, Sunshine was definitely better than Star Fox Adventures, which I truly would like to nominate for Worst Sequel Ever. It was an abomination, and I detailed why I felt that way in the "worst game you've ever played" thread.

Edited by Adam Smasher

another seguel that i hated was fe the sacred stones. the creaters must have been stoned...

i mean the main lords love each other i a weird way and i didnt think it was the hard at all.

plus the story was bland.

LOL Ike-Mike. Srsly. There was even a big clamor in my own household at the time. (we were lucky and got that game and Zelda 2 without real issue.) SMB2 kicked ass. Its one of my faves. Of course SMB3 owned its face but yeah.

EDIT: Super Paper Mario

Well...i enjoyed that game. Of course its not as good as the first two but yeah i had fun with it so i cant say it was a bad game.

To the guy who said Super Mario Sunshine sucked donkey nuts. Yes and no. Yes because it was rather painful to control and the fact i cant beat it. Yeah laugh it up. No because there were a few pretty awesome levels in it. Bianco Hills and Sirena Beach come to mind.

To the guy who said Super Mario Sunshine sucked donkey nuts. Yes and no. Yes because it was rather painful to control and the fact i cant beat it. Yeah laugh it up. No because there were a few pretty awesome levels in it. Bianco Hills and Sirena Beach come to mind.

No, Severus, you CAN beat it. You simply have better things to do with your life.

SMB 2 USA, that continued Mario Madness, that even had Mario Madness on its cover, was a perfect and faithful sequel despite the Doki Doki Panic roots. The gameplay certainly wasn’t a natural evolution. However, the premise of SMB 2 was the same. Mario and Luigi, and this time Toad and Princess Toadstool, are the outsiders. Instead of Mushroom World, it is Dream Land. And Dream Land is just as fantastical and amazing. Flying carpets, magical doors, Birdo (who, himself, is quite a wonder), magic turnips, Bob-ombs, Mouser, and the rest were all fantastical and amazing.

Super Mario Brothers 2 had the ‘magic’ of Arabian Nights in it in a way. The game was a great wonder and sparked the imagination. No one desires to buy the Japanese version of Super Mario Brothers 2, but the Japanese still seem to be enjoying Super Mario Brothers USA. It is clear who got the superior game.

I get very annoyed when ‘journalists’ write that Zelda II or Super Mario Brothers 2 were ‘disappointments’. The games were consistently sold out and parents were driving to different states to get the game. There was a massive cartridge shortage in 1988 I believe.

Seriously, I feel as if all the SMB2 hate these days comes from people who read that it's based off Doki Doki Panic and went "omg it wasn't a mario game from the very beginning?!?!?!?! D: D: D: D:". And what would you rather have as a sequel: A 'hard' mission pack or a game set in a completely new world?

I agree with this oh so much.

Let's compromise and agree it was definitely better than Sunshine. Honestly, I simply felt dirty playing that game. From the artwork to the music to the difficulty, it felt like I was having my teeth scraped.

As long as I'm going back and retracting statements, Sunshine was definitely better than Star Fox Adventures, which I truly would like to nominate for Worst Sequel Ever. It was an abomination, and I detailed why I felt that way in the "worst game you've ever played" thread.

Way to bash two awesome games :(

People bash way too much these days. Awesome games, movies, shows etc get tons of criticism for very bad reasons IMO.

Alright, Santino, I'll be a good sport here. Tell me why Star Fox Adventures was "awesome." In fact, start a new thread about it, so we don't derail this one. I can understand the brand loyalty for Mario. But in the grand scheme of things, tell me why you would give Star Fox Adventures two thumbs up when I can't even see it getting one. I'll admit I'm wrong if your points are compelling.

Alright, Santino, I'll be a good sport here. Tell me why Star Fox Adventures was "awesome." In fact, start a new thread about it, so we don't derail this one. I can understand the brand loyalty for Mario. But in the grand scheme of things, tell me why you would give Star Fox Adventures two thumbs up when I can't even see it getting one. I'll admit I'm wrong if your points are compelling.

I'll do it short: Amazing atmosphere nd world. Great graphics. Basically a 3D Zelda with a different story. Big variations in gameplay, both honoring the old and introducing lots of new. Good story. Only real downsides I can think of now are the annoying shop, some slight control issues and how they sexed it up with Crystal.

Edit: and going against what I said about people being too critical, I second the post above this one.

Edited by Santino

Well, it looks like we have a difference of opinion then. What you consider an "amazing atmosphere" I found to be a cartoonish world designed for toddlers. Fox is stuck in a world of friendly (not ferocious like they should be) dinosaurs and fights his enemies with a magic cheerleader baton staff. The first 2 Star Foxes were pretty serious games, but this was like Arnold Schwarzenegar hosting Blue's Clues.

However, according to wikipedia, the game has something like an 80% rating accross editorial reviews, which I guess puts me in the other 20%. Still, using the word awesome is a bit of hyperbole.

Back on topic, I just remembered that Phantasy Star III almost destroyed that franchise, so we may as well mention it here.