Furetchen's Highly Opinionated and Probably Inaccurate Ratings

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MARISA

Marisa is shite.

I hate awful characters, there's no bright side to the bastards. Still, I trained Marisa to 20/0 going Eir route on my first PT (and then ran out of Hero Crests for her, Garcia and Joshua XD) so it must be possible.

So Marisa joins early midgame in Eir route, midgame in Eph route. In Eir route you need to send Gerik the killing machine down to recruit her. Marisa will not survive an attack by any good unit with 1-range. So really meatwalling with Innes is yer only option. So she thuds wetly into the Sniper and you recruit her, and a buncha psychos run in from the side and start wrecking things. Fortunately, you have Gerik, so shouldn't be that hard to run the bastards off. In Eph route, she shows up after the hardest goddamn chapter in the game. She's still an enemy, and anything will kill her, but unless you have someone durable with bows or no weapon she'll die Enemy Phase before Ewan can get to her.

But she'll be amazing when you do get her, right? No. She's level FIVE when you get her, with worse bases and worse growths than Joshua. She'll be a better fighter than Colm, eventually...but that's not saying much. So Yeah.

At least her supports are good righ- no, actually, Ice affinity with only Joshua and Gerik as plausible options. A support triangle between the three wouldn't be bad, but her supports are nothing to speak of, really.

So overall, don't. She's not worth the trouble. And I don't like pink hair, so she gets no reprieve. Marisa, a certain

2/10.

EDIT: Isn't Rausten Chapter 19 and Darkling Woods Chapter 20?

Edited by Furetchen

I wouldn't put her below Knoll personally. At 12/1 with CCC Gerik/josh/tethys she has 21 Mt/60 Critical with a KE and 32 Hp, 8 def, and 60 Avo. It's not great,but it's > Knoll's D staves and lolsummons.

I wouldn't put her below Knoll personally. At 12/1 with CCC Gerik/josh/tethys she has 21 Mt/60 Critical with a KE and 32 Hp, 8 def, and 60 Avo. It's not great,but it's > Knoll's D staves and lolsummons.

Bull. An extra healer and free attacks > Marisa's combat skills because she brings absolutely nothing to the table that more capable units can do. She might make an OK Assassin... when you consider that she's still going to be shit thanks to sword-lock.

So next?

Anyway, my logic was that Marisa is too hard to gain for an inferior Joshua and comes too late. Knoll needs nothing beyond the Guiding Ring he starts with to be at the very least a healer with summons. And Dark magic > Swords.

Knoll is absolutely better than Marisa, and you (EDIT: <--this is a generic "you", not "you in particular"/EDIT) probably /raeged at the score I gave her.

Ewan?

Edited by Integrity

Oh, Knoll/Marisa suck so hard, it's really hard to tell which one sucks more. Probably Knoll though. You have L'arachel who heals better if you care about healing. Marisa can at least kill weaker stuff on par with many other characters due to decent crit and doubling, and gets Lancereavers for decent lategame avoid. 50 avoid vs lance users who take -30 hit? Better than Knoll's durability will ever be.

Even super shitty combat is better than Knoll's failure. Oh wow he can heal 20 hp. He's like a vulnerary that I have to protect!

People really overrate Marisa. In an efficient playthrough, she'll do almost nothing. Getting her to fight anything actually requires us to slow down most of the time. The most efficient way to use her is probably to stick her in a corner and have her do nothing. At least Knoll contributes more than that. And if we say that we're genuinely using her...

Colm goes Assassin for the heck of it, you can just steal a lockpick at Chapter 7 (Or 3, don't recall if that enemy Thief had one), it's just pretty much broken to have him ORKO/OHKO enemies like that.

Dang it, lost a post. Anyways, in the event that Joshua/Eirika 3-4HKO an enemy who's luck cancels their own crit, they have a >40% chance of critting. Marisa, if she 5-6HKOs, even on a 0 luck enemy still only has <20% chance of KOing.

EWAN

It's funny how the trainees can be graded by their 2-range options. Ross is the best trainee, and his Hatchet is the perfect weapon for him. Meanwhile you get Amelia who needs to lug around a Javelin. Neatly in between these two is Ewan, with Fire. Well, not neatly. In fact, rather messily skewed in Amelia's direction. But yeah. Ewan.

Ewan comes at Chapter 12, where he is necessary to recruit another equally bad unit, Marisa (Eph route). In Eir route I believe he comes at the same time, but instead the duty of recruiting that sword-swinger falls to the far more awesome Gerik (!!!!!!!). The Pupil overworld sprite is good-looking, and he is the only competent Shaman in the game if you are willing to put up with the frustration of getting him there. Which I am not. Anyway, if you do, you get a unit who still isn't as good as Lute, or Artur, or probably Moulder, or Saleh, or...anyway, his supports aren't helping him much, bar a possible Tethys (who wants Gerik), Saleh (who wants Gerik more) or Ross (who wants Not Ewan). Yeah, I've covered this already in Amelia. You might level Amelia more in Eir route, or something, but they're mostly identical.

Hold on, I just thought of something. Does Shaman!Ewan get Anima magic? I dunno, and it ain't changing his score any. So Yeah. Ewan. I wish there was a 1.75 I could nestle you in, but there ain't, and you certainly aren't as good as Marisa. Marisa ain't moving up, and Amelia's better than Orson...I guess. So Ewan. You get a

1.5/10

You recruit Ewan in Eirika's route by visiting a house. He isn't necessary to recruit anyone else.

Thanks...I can barely remember Eir route beyond Binks' and Gerik/Innes's chapters. And that Carcino sucked. And there were more monsters (bah).

Shaman!Ewan does not have Anima magic, only inferior Dark. He can regain Anima by promoting to Druid, however.

I'm not really sure which is better for Ewan, Mage Knight or Sage. Light magic gives him some much needed durability against the dark users in the game, Mage Knight gives +1 move. And a stupidly high amount of Aid (17). Highest in the game, actually, Cavs only get 16, Pegs/Wyverns get 15.

Are Joshua or Eirika reliably ORKOing yet? In the event that either of them aren't, before factoring in their own crit, they already have a 42.25% chance to ORKO and a 35% chance to OHKO. Marisa probably doesn't OHKO much with it, and if she doesn't 4HKO (not all that unlikely. IIRC, someone showed that she's still 4HKOing past chapter 15...) she has a whopping 12.25% chance of KOing. Even on a 0 LUK enemy she only reaches 18.81%.

Edit: The post I lost showed up :facepalm:

Edit #2: Orson should be way higher. Amelia/Marisa/Ewan/etc. are negative. He's sort of a mini Gato.

Edited by Slize

Because phantoms couldn't EVER do ANYTHING. Like, make anyone invincible from at least one enemy, or have a huge attack range, or allow us to distract a specific, very threatening enemy. For example, Lyon/Morva/etc. can do a lot of damage to you, but, in the event that they do too much damage to someone, Knoll can make sure they don't attack on their phase. Knoll would be a lot better if Gleipner did effective damage. IIRC, he'd have, like, 63 ATK. Seriously, I think IS made dark magic so crappy in this game to prep us for no dark magic in PoR.

Well, even so, Knoll takes such a hefty AS penalty that it's dangerous for him to equip Gleipnir.

Warp lets me run past the endgame dracozombies. So does Syrene rescue-dropping. So does any flier.

And your description of Phantoms as 'making 1 character invincible' is wrong. Phantoms distract 1 attack (their avoid is bad enough that you can't rely on them to dodge). That's it.

Besides, Lyon and Morva have enough attack that you should be killing them and/or seizing in 1 turn. You shouldn't let them get an enemy phase in.

I see great disparity in your posts. And forcing any boss to equip his/her 1 range weapon (or force to equip his 2 range or 1-2 range weapon) seems pretty cool.

Amelia acts at worst like a free Speedwing and Slim Lance, then a Phantom that might take multiple hits to die. However, you can also train her.

Orson acts at worst like a free Silver Sword and Elixir/Vulnerary (can't remember), and is almost necessary to beat 5x HM. However, you cannot train him.

Hence, Amelia is half a point better than Orson.

I need someone to rate next.

Amended.

Amelia acts at worst like a Phantom that might dodge and probably isn't 1HKOd by ... everything. But you can train her.

Orson makes 5x possible for the faint of heartrate. However any XP he gains goes to waste.