i don't understand...

Liz

why they gave the Valkyrie class such horrible stats

i mean, they're like practically second tier class stats, not third tier!

and why didn't they give her a peggie to ride on after promotion, like Elincia? didn't valkyries supposedly ride flying horses?

URGH! i hate how they nerfed my favorite class in this game!

why they gave the Valkyrie class such horrible stats

i mean, they're like practically second tier class stats, not third tier!

and why didn't they give her a peggie to ride on after promotion, like Elincia? didn't valkyries supposedly ride flying horses?

URGH! i hate how they nerfed my favorite class in this game!

I would have liked it if they gave her a horse in tier 2. And better stats, but that's just because I love Mist. Not more than jellybeans like another person here, but I like her lots.

Then in tier 3 make her a Mage Knight with staves.

Tier 2: swords + staves + horse (8 move)

Tier 3: swords (max ss) + Anima (base C in each, max A) + staves (max s) + horse (9 move)

I think that would have been cool. Aside from 3-2 and 3-4 and 3-7 there aren't any other maps where it is particularly advantageous for her to be a footed mage than on a horse. Even 4-4 I'm happy with her on a horse, and she'd be okay against generals in 4-4 if she had anima. 3 or 4 hitting them is way better than her current tinking.

Or an alternative is Mage Fighter -> Mage Knight (w/ staves)

Tier 2: swords + staves + Anima (7 move mage type movement, as current)

Tier 3: swords (max ss) + Anima (base C in each, max A) + staves (max s) + horse (9 move)

Oh, and I guess base Ds in all her anima in tier 2. When she promotes to tier 3, any of fire/wind/thunder that aren't already C become C and (like everyone else's promotion) anything already at or above the base weapon rank of the new class is left alone.

I think that would be a fun Mist. I'd still probably want Florete to be magic damage, or better yet be like an fe4/5 Magic sword. Physical at 1 range and magical at 2 range. If you really want her to wield magic at one range, forged fire should be your weapon of choice. 10 mt instead of 14 mt, but oh well.

As to "why", I'm guessing it's because they hate Mist.

For the no flying bit, It's not as if any of the other Valkyries in the series ever flew. I think it would be cool, of course, but I'm just saying. I would like a flying horse without wings. That's what the Valkyries on Xena had, I think. Not sure about the real Valkyries from Norse mythology, though. Their flying horses may have had wings.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

i actually support there being more units that use both magic and strength

i mean, what's the point of even having the split stats if there won't be units that can take advantage of them?

i actually support there being more units that use both magic and strength

i mean, what's the point of even having the split stats if there won't be units that can take advantage of them?

Part of why fe4 and fe5 are among my favourites. Multiple magic swords and units that use both swords and magic. In fe9 and fe10 it's just the sonic sword, really, since bolt axe kinda sucks and flame lance is only even decent against beast laguz and runesword has no availability and bright bow was never made available. Obviously Elincia and Mist both use staves and swords, but that's not much reason for the split stats. Also, mages use their str stat for wielding tomes and Imbue exists now, but it's just not the same.

Not to mention aside from sanaki all the mages will have the str to wield whatever they want except ranged tomes. Even ranged tomes will be fine once they reach third tier.

I just really really miss the Mage Fighters/Mage Knights/Magic swords/Master Knights.

Well, everyone complained about FE9 Sages getting Knives. This is why we can't have nice things.

Also, the concept of a character that uses both magic and swords wouldn't really work in this. DEF/RES gap is high enough that there's no reason ever to use the swords except against Bishops and Sages... and they suck anyway. Magic has 1-2 range, is more accurate than Wind Edges, and can have effective bonuses. You might as well just make her an FE8 Mage Knight.

Well, everyone complained about FE9 Sages getting Knives. This is why we can't have nice things.

Also, the concept of a character that uses both magic and swords wouldn't really work in this. DEF/RES gap is high enough that there's no reason ever to use the swords except against Bishops and Sages... and they suck anyway. Magic has 1-2 range, is more accurate than Wind Edges, and can have effective bonuses. You might as well just make her an FE8 Mage Knight.

Nah, I like both. It's not as if she can KO mages and priests with magic. Her magic is kinda low and their res is quite high. Also, magic has low mt anyway. Only up to 10 mt with forged fire. The A and s rank stuff sucks and unless she got an ss in fire there is no point since a magical florete would be >> any other spell.

I like both because she'd be the ultimate mage/priest killer and not actually suck on other melee units. And I like making Florete physical at 1 range so she can use her best weapon on sages.

Not like any of it matters though with her 15 base spd. stupid I.s. Rolf has 19 and he's level 1 just like her.

Even Cleric/Valkyrie bases suck despite no enemies existing as these classes in the entire game. Of course, Hero bases suck, too, so I suppose it is just a thing about unique classes.

As for sages in fe9 getting knives, that's stupid because most of them had <10 str and knives had horrible mt. Give them at least +5 str and access to swords and I'd consider it. I'd still choose staves, though. The problem wasn't that they had a physical weapon, the problems were:

a: no staves

b: sucky str

c: sucky weapon type

Using swords would be worth it if IS decided to put in lots of cool swords. Like in FE5. Having a King's Sword, Sleep Sword, Berserk Sword, Elite Sword... throw in swords that give other skills too and suddenly not having 1-2 range won't be as bad.

Using swords would be worth it if IS decided to put in lots of cool swords. Like in FE5. Having a King's Sword, Sleep Sword, Berserk Sword, Elite Sword... throw in swords that give other skills too and suddenly not having 1-2 range won't be as bad.

Well duh. Obviously if you give Mist a Paragon Sword and status effect swords they'd be worth using. Well, maybe not the Paragon Sword because she still needs to actually damage the enemy and she can't use it for Staff EXP.

I mean, if Edward had swords like that available he'd be great. Double EXP for him? Almost exclusive access to the Sleep Sword before 1-6 because Meg sucks, and even then he only needs to share it with Zihark... who would be better employed actually killing enemies.

But if you think about it, lack of 1-2 range still greatly limits what swords can do. They'll be niche weapons designed for incapacitating tough enemies or for providing support, but when it comes to destroying lots of units at once, axes and lances reign supreme.

Edited by dondon151

Depends on the game. In many maps in this game, 1-range enemies have an overwhelming majority, so lack of 2-range isn't that bad.

And in Swords vs Magic, it's not so much 'getting 1-2 range' as it is 'getting 1-2 range that isn't horribly inaccurate'. Only Swordmasters are really comfortable with Storm Swords, and even then it's kinda iffy. And also it's 'getting 1-2 range that doesn't key off Strength', in Mist's case.

Part of why fe4 and fe5 are among my favourites. Multiple magic swords and units that use both swords and magic. In fe9 and fe10 it's just the sonic sword, really, since bolt axe kinda sucks and flame lance is only even decent against beast laguz and runesword has no availability and bright bow was never made available. Obviously Elincia and Mist both use staves and swords, but that's not much reason for the split stats. Also, mages use their str stat for wielding tomes and Imbue exists now, but it's just not the same.

Not to mention aside from sanaki all the mages will have the str to wield whatever they want except ranged tomes. Even ranged tomes will be fine once they reach third tier.

I just really really miss the Mage Fighters/Mage Knights/Magic swords/Master Knights.

My Largo wants to have a word with you good sir.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h296/Kim_Presea/100_1547.jpg

Edited by Silith

My Largo wants to have a word with you good sir.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h296/Kim_Presea/100_1547.jpg

What did you do to achieve that? How many resets?

Note: I don't actually have an issue with resetting for stats. I did it with fe9 Mist plenty.

Fine. I should have said something like "assuming average stats on your characters, Bolt axe was the worst of the magic based physical weapons.

Mist + the Sonic Sword was such a fun combination in Path of Radiance. It's such a shame that she doesn't have access to anything similar in this game.

She's one of the few characters that I think got worse between the two (Rhys as well - light magic isn't too great in this game). Most improved a good deal.

Depends on the game. In many maps in this game, 1-range enemies have an overwhelming majority, so lack of 2-range isn't that bad.

And in Swords vs Magic, it's not so much 'getting 1-2 range' as it is 'getting 1-2 range that isn't horribly inaccurate'. Only Swordmasters are really comfortable with Storm Swords, and even then it's kinda iffy. And also it's 'getting 1-2 range that doesn't key off Strength', in Mist's case.

Besides the Wind Edge for early-game Edward, I only really use the ranged swords for attacking from atop a gap because of what you just described.

She's one of the few characters that I think got worse between the two (Rhys as well - light magic isn't too great in this game). Most improved a good deal.

Funny how all my favourite characters got nerfed. Makalov, Tanith, Tormod, Kieran, even Calill. I'm just glad they didn't bring Devdan back, they would have ruined him.

Someone else who actually LIKES Makalov.

Also about the Bolt Axe. Besides stat boosters and heavy BEXP reset abuse only Jill could do some damage with it. I made that LArgo just so I could watch him PWN dragons in chapter 28. Vantage + Guard + Max MAg + Bolt Axe = Good times.

Mist + Runesword was also alot of fun. :(

Funny how all my favourite characters got nerfed. Makalov, Tanith, Tormod, Kieran, even Calill.

Yeah. I kinda liked Calill in PoR. Shes not bad. Shes not horrible in RD either but still not as good. Kieran is ok in RD but alas, Paladins got nerfed in that game. Tanith's nerf made me sad. Real sad. Also the crushing disappointment that is Sigrun. I so wanted her to be playable in PoR! Im like "Omg! We get to use Sigrun! :awesome:" But then..i was like "D:"

Mist + Runesword was also alot of fun. :(

I tried, but I just couldn't get my poor Mist to A-rank swords last playthrough. :(

I should have saved one of the Arms Scrolls for her.