"No one promoted" playthrough (HM)

Yep. Basically, I'm doing a special runthrough of FE8 in which I'm not using anyone promoted. That means no promoting anyone or prepromotes. For that matter, I'm not using Myrrh.

Why? Because I can't think of anything else. I might make vids, depending on whether or not anyone cares about this. Either way, I think I'm just gonna get started.

Rules

Recruit everyone

No promoting (Trainees excepted)

No prepromotes

I'm guessing this is just gonna sound like any other playthrough until enemies start getting strong-ish.

Edited by Camtech

Are you going to use the trainees (Ross, Amelia, and Ewan)?

Yeah, but sparingly. Journeyman - Pirate or whatever is technically a promotion.

Whee! I've been wondering when I'd get to see this done.

As an aside, I presume that means you can use Ewan/Amelia/Ross to 10 and that's it, since you're forced to promote them if you deploy them again?

I thought you were forced to promote them at the start of the chapter (before choosing them)? In which case, using them at all would be pointless by your rules. Anyway, good luck, I did this before but with Myrrh; I'd use a team of about 20 characters.

Whee! I've been wondering when I'd get to see this done.

As an aside, I presume that means you can use Ewan/Amelia/Ross to 10 and that's it, since you're forced to promote them if you deploy them again?

I may as well let them promote, but I can't use them after that.

I thought you were forced to promote them at the start of the chapter (before choosing them)? In which case, using them at all would be pointless by your rules. Anyway, good luck, I did this before but with Myrrh; I'd use a team of about 20 characters.

Hm. See, the difference here is that Myrrh gets 50-instablicks on monsters. This is pretty useful, as you might imagine. With this run, I have to make do with Silver (I think). IIRC I don't even get Sacred Twins...

Hm. See, the difference here is that Myrrh gets 50-instablicks on monsters. This is pretty useful, as you might imagine. With this run, I have to make do with Silver (I think). IIRC I don't even get Sacred Twins...

This is truth; I'm pretty sure no units can S any weapons until they promote, period.

I don't think they even get WEXP to further their A bar - I think they'll always be A+0 when they promote.

Yeah, you definitely want to use both twins, if you were even vaguely considering not before. Ephraim will likely need stat boosters, too - he's your only hope for beating the Demon King, and he has to survive attacks.

With 0% hit on average, that's not happening :awesome:. Well, supports might raise that up to about 20%. And RNG abuse to get SKL and LUK every level makes it about 34% at most. Yeah... It's possible if you don't mind RNG abuse to epic proportions, but even so, 5 hits takes the DK down to 4 HP so someone needs to finish the job (well, Luna could do that, I suppose)

Siegmund / Sieglinde does plenty to the Demon King. I don't really see a need for Eclipse when Ephraim and Eirika are running around with 56 / 53 Mt weapons. If I'm not wrong that's more than 20 damage per attack if they double.

Eclipse isn't needed, but the twins don't double. In fact, they're a point off getting doubled, if I remember their CON correctly. Eirika is also nowhere near durable enough to survive an attack, and as I said, Ephraim is borderline OHKOed. Ephraim has 59mt without supports, enough to deal 23/24 damage depending on Formotiis' stats. With supports though, that's a clean 5HKO. The question is, can you hold off the monsters long enough to perform that? I don't see why it isn't possible.

I did one of these before but quit at Ch17 iirc. I know I used a very large team of combat units because I knew they'd hit the level cap somewhere down the road.

My strategy was to clear out the monsters before going after the Demon King (unless 3 dracozombies spawn in my face I'll be fine) then have Ephraim whack him, Franz/someone rescues, someone heals, rinse, repeat.

I figured I won't really start reporting everything until it gets interesting (prolly around chapter 13 or so)

By the way guys, which route should I take? Eirika's route has the canyon, but Ephraim's group has to deal with the Ghost Ship.

I went Eirika's on mine. Since you don't have to use everyone (one of my conditions), you should be able to handle Ephraim's, I think. Eirika's is easier, though.

I went Eirika's on mine. Since you don't have to use everyone (one of my conditions), you should be able to handle Ephraim's, I think. Eirika's is easier, though.

Hm. The only trouble I'll have is the Ghost Ship then, and that's only because I don't get Seth/Duessel. Or Dozla, but no one cares about him.

At least you can deploy a diverse team. Neimi for fliers, Moulder and Natasha, Garcia, a/some Cavs etc.

It's not the enemies themselves that worry me, simply the enemy density + FoW. I'm actually tempted to Nightmare out the Fog. :awesome:

Edited by Camtech

For the Trainees, you should "promote" them into Journeyman, Recruit and Pupil if you're going to use them. When I say that, I don't mean Supern00bs but rather to let them level to 20/0.

They basically start at 1/0/0 but if you go down the SJ/SR/SP route, they end up at 20/0 before the real promotion.

For the Trainees, you should "promote" them into Journeyman, Recruit and Pupil if you're going to use them. When I say that, I don't mean Supern00bs but rather to let them level to 20/0.

They basically start at 1/0/0 but if you go down the SJ/SR/SP route, they end up at 20/0 before the real promotion.

Well...

It's pain enough to raise Amelia and Ewan (Ross not so much but I digress) on a normal playthrough. How am I gonna manage it in this one, where no one has a single stat over 20 (Shut up, luck)?

I could do it. It's not that bad, although the payoff isn't quite as good as you might expect. Ross is good, your best axe user; Amelia is just a 4th Cavalier; Ewan is another Mage, but he's still a decent Mage.

Just asking, are Garcia/Franz/Gilliam/Lute/Knoll/Forde/Kyle considered pre-promos?

Frankly, I exactly can't see any logic in that.

Unless he were to do a Trainee+unpromoted Lords+L'Arachel run?