"No one promoted" playthrough (HM)

AHA! It's back!

I got to chapter 11 Ephraim. I guess I could call it utter hell.

Chapter 11 (Ephraim)

Turns: 15

I basically had to have Ephraim, Gilliam and Ross wall, Lute and Neimi snipe while people like Garcia stay in the back to handle the boss + reinforcements. All the while I have to rush Franz over to save L'Arachel. Oh well, at least I get another healer.

After that, I had Gilliam, Ross, Lute and Neimi mop up, since they are the lowest levels of my team.

Edited by Camtech

That would be Ch11.

Yeah, chapter 11.

Chapter 12 is proving... interesting. There are a bunch of lolmonsters, but I have to find a way to lure Marisa without getting owned or killing her. Any ideas?

Gilliam unarmed will never be killed by Marisa if he's above base. Like, never, seriously.

Gilliam kind of sucks for me right now. I don't want to undeploy someone actually good for the purpose of recruiting another swordie.

Gilliam kind of sucks for me right now. I don't want to undeploy someone actually good for the purpose of recruiting another swordie.

Well, frankly, Ephraim could probably survive unarmed. Or Kyle. I dunno Marisa's ATK on Hard - actually, I've never done Ephraim Hard, come to think of it.

Well, frankly, Ephraim could probably survive unarmed. Or Kyle. I dunno Marisa's ATK on Hard - actually, I've never done Ephraim Hard, come to think of it.

She has 15 Atk with Shamshir. An unarmed lv13 Ephraim survives a crit and a hit of that, while an armed Ephraim will actually even survive two crits.

Oh, you're right; she won't. I didn't pay attention to their Spd.

In that case, even base level Ephraim is perfectly safe to lure her with as long as he's got a lance equipped.

Oh, you're right; she won't. I didn't pay attention to their Spd.

In that case, even base level Ephraim is perfectly safe to lure her with as long as he's got a lance equipped.

Well, problem with equipping him is the distinct problem of him blicking her in return. I dunno stats so it's just theory, but Marisa is REALLY squishy.

But yes, it's not really an issue we discover.

Unless he procs a crit or doubles her in return, which certainly isn't outside the realm of possibility IIRC.

Average 13 Ephraim is SPD 15, base Marisa (does she get HM bonuses or is that only 7?) is SPD 12. He's only one off.

Well, of course there's the possibility of a crit.

If you want to weigh him down enough that he doesn't double her if he's that high of a level, he'd probably need a Steel Lance, which means he only needs 13 Strength to OHKO her.

This is why you use numbers instead of rough indications like "really weak" and "very fast"...

Marisa has 23 hp/4 def (no Hard Mode bonuses in FE8). So it takes 26 atk to OHKO her with a lance (+1 from WTA). So even with capped str, Slim Lance Ephraim isn't going to OHKO. Iron Lance would...but Ephraim probably doesn't have capped str anyhow. His 20/0 average is 17 (rounded up), and with the 8 mt Iron Lance (again, that +1 from WTA), he will only reach 25.

This is why you use numbers instead of rough indications like "really weak" and "very fast"...

This is why I make nearly baseless assumptions and wait for a numbers-jockey like you to come along and correct me. :D

Chapter 12

Turncount: 13 (I think)

The one problem I had with this was the fact that Marisa was squishier than L'arachel last chapter. I eventually settled with having Garcia sit there and manipulate a 72% miss with a Steel Axe. Beyond that, it was pretty easy.

Chapter 13

Well, Satanic chapter begin, I suppose. So I move all my units south, believing that Gerik can take care of himself. Yes, he can. HOWEVER, I forgot to make sure that Selena can't Bolting anyone to death. 3% crit on turn 3 = rage. Cue savestate #1. Take 2: Gerik decides that eating crits is fun. Cue savestate #2. Take 3: I fight my way to Selena, who is holding Elfire. The only person that can to substantial damage to her is Garcia with the Halberd (43% chance = :awesome: ) and Gerik with that Zanbato. I eventually take her out with savescumming to the death a lucky critical from Ephraim.