Super Mario Galaxy 2

Don Draper

Just tried a bunch of Comets...

The Spiny one from where you first get Yoshi which I didn't mind.

The Cloudy Court which I found awesome with the clones chasing you.

The Puzzle Plank which was kind of tricky with so many clones there and missing a coin every now and then.

I am now about to try the Flip-Swap Comet...

EDIT: Beat... 1 death and ended up with about 4 seconds left. That was intense.

Edited by Speedwagon

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want another challenging one, play the second star of Tall Trunk to unlock the comet for that level. Thats another one from the first three worlds that took me a few tries :P

How many stars do you have btw?

I've got 28, planning to take on the last stage of this world tomorrow. I'll try to unlock that comet right now.

I started pretty slow but after reaching World 3 I've been more willing to play.

EDIT: That slide was alright but too short. It also reminded me there's too many times where a 1-up Mushroom is available on locations where you could die, making deaths of little consequence and Game Overs an extremely rare sight.

Beat the Haunty Halls Comet on my first try which I didn't expect.

Beat the Tall Trunk's Comet in 3 attempts. It's not so easy to have to focus on the coins and obstacles and there seems to be little room for mistakes from the middle of the slide (hit a wiggler and got knocked to a pit).

Edited by Speedwagon

• 2 weeks later...

Are there more or less purple comets/purple coin starts in this one because that was my least favourite part in SMG1 by far.

I'm pretty sure there are about 6-7 purple coin stars (so half as many as Galaxy), but they're much better in this game. All of them are on a time limit or on a linear path so you don't have to comb entire levels in order to find them in this game.

Phew I'm so glad there's nothing like the Beachbowl or the Dusty Dune galaxy in terms of purple coins

Edited by mikethfc

I really like this game. Much better than the first one, and it has a much more "classic" feel.

i must second you on this.

for the first time, I actually felt like i was playing an actual 3D Super Mario game. it's like, they took everything that made the 2D mario games awesome, and then somehow made it 3D, and actually made it work (Unlike Galaxy, which while it was a good attempt, it was rather weak at times). Don't get me wrong, the other 3D mario games were awesome, but they were somewhat different from the 2D deliciousness of the previous Marios.

i'm almost done with the first world, but i'm even more excited with the game now that i've heard it gets even better!

Not only is Road to Bowser back, but the best part is covered by a freaking choir!

After the first level you hear it I was wondering how they were going to top it and then I got to the slide on the tree level :awesome:

Also has anybody else seen

shadow/cosmic Rosalina

From what I've heard, the difficulty was ramped up immensely. In Gametrailers' review, they actually docked marks for it being too hard.

Did gametrailers' complain about RD being hard? Because sometimes "too hard" doesn't actually mean the game is hard.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

^It's all relative.

While I definitely think this game is an improvement over SMG1, I kinda wish they would go back to the 8 (main) stars per world like in SM64 or SMS; the variety of galaxies kills the capability of exploration and familiarity, something I really enjoyed about previous 3D Mario games.

^It's all relative.

While I definitely think this game is an improvement over SMG1, I kinda wish they would go back to the 8 (main) stars per world like in SM64 or SMS; the variety of galaxies kills the capability of exploration and familiarity, something I really enjoyed about previous 3D Mario games.

I disagree. With the way stars were handled in SM64 and SMS, it wasn't too difficult to find out where they are, many being pretty obvious and don't give an incentive to explore the stage. In this game though

Some of the Green Stars are well hidden and to find some, I often had to stop and use the first person view to look for them. Some are in plain sight and require some platforming mastery to get.

The final star is probably the hardest by far.

^It's all relative.

Seconded as the throwback galaxy in SMG2 is quite possibly my favourite one, only other one that comes to mind is Tall Trunk only because of the slide.

My br got the game yesterday, and i reached world 3 today. I ave to say that Bowser level was just :awesome:

Yoshi is pretty cool and i'm glad they brought back more old enemies from previous games as well as the music. Those are just classics.

I disagree. With the way stars were handled in SM64 and SMS, it wasn't too difficult to find out where they are, many being pretty obvious and don't give an incentive to explore the stage. In this game though

Some of the Green Stars are well hidden and to find some, I often had to stop and use the first person view to look for them. Some are in plain sight and require some platforming mastery to get.

The final star is probably the hardest by far.

I haven't gotten that far, so maybe that's why.

Also find it kind of odd that the Throwback galaxy is near the end of the main storyline, yet is near the beginning of SM64, which really speaks about the overall difficulty level.

Now that this game has been out for a few days in Europe and I've been playing it throughout this weekend I can safely say:

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the absolutely greatest and most fantastic video game ever made.

Everyone who will try to deny it will be completeley wiped from existence.

Also find it kind of odd that the Throwback galaxy is near the end of the main storyline, yet is near the beginning of SM64, which really speaks about the overall difficulty level.

If you think Super Mario 64 is anywhere close to the difficulty of Super Mario Galaxy 2, you need to play 64 again. 64 is a joke compared to SMG2 difficulty wise.

The difficulty overall. Half of SM64's stars could be gotten in about 30 seconds, the 3 Toad stars are obviously a joke, the 100 coin stars weren't difficult (just tedious), I actually do not remember a single star in SM64 that was actually hard. I just played it about two months ago, the game is a joke difficulty wise. Galaxy 2 is at least challenging at points. SM64 has no challenge.

The difficulty overall. Half of SM64's stars could be gotten in about 30 seconds, the 3 Toad stars are obviously a joke, the 100 coin stars weren't difficult (just tedious), I actually do not remember a single star in SM64 that was actually hard. I just played it about two months ago, the game is a joke difficulty wise. Galaxy 2 is at least challenging at points. SM64 has no challenge.

Yeah, thinking SM64 was difficult is probably cause I really sucked back then, but I can't say SMG2 is very challenging for the entire main storyline either.

Galaxy 2 was definitely more challenging than any 3D Mario installment yet, IMO, but that's not saying much.

and while being a landmark of gaming, i found Mario 64 to be more annoying than anything else. there was just something about seeing the same world eight times that i just hated. in fact, once i got all 120 stars, i don't think i ever touched that game again (until i got the DS installment, where the same thing happened)

I'm almost finished with this game and i got to say, this is one of the funnest time with 3d mario i have ever had. Rainbow road roll anyone? :awesome: The coins took me 26 mins though... The game is entertainging and very creative. I have to say i didn't get tired from playing a world 2-3 times.

It's nothing short of amazing. I'm currently collecting the

green stars. Not too fond of all the backtracking, but it's better than Galaxy 1's Luigi Stars.

Difficulty wise, I actually found this one to be about on par with Galaxy 1 so far, but it's probably because I had more experience going into this game.

I have a question. I'm currently in World 3 of the game (with every star I can currently get in every previous world), and I'm really not understanding why everyone loves this game so much. Does the game miraculously get awesome later on, or am I just too much of a fun-hater. I mean, so far it's been entertaining enough to keep me going, but I don't really see it as much better than Galaxy 1. And I miss the melancholy storyline of SMG1.

Oh, also, does the game get a lot harder later on too? I'm not really seeing the difficulty here. Especially when the game practically throws 1-ups at you in every level. Of course I play co-star with my sister a lot, so that might explain why it's easy so far...

Co-star is broken....

IDK, this game is fun, i didn't see wht others were talking about it being extremly fun but after like world 3 i started liking it alot :mellow: