So Dismounting

A major mechanic that was introduced in FE3 was the dismounting mechanic in which a mounted unit would be forced to go on foot when indoors, lose a few stats, lose the ability to use lances, and gain the ability to use swords. With the remake coming up, do you think they'll revisit this mechanic and what changes will be made to it, if at all?

In the original game weapon skill was one stat so there was no Sword/Lance skill making the switch from lances to swords not that cumbersome and explaining why the old man in chapter 4 tells you get to give a silver sword to Hardin. The dismounting technique was reintroduced in Thracia but caused several issues such as giving an unfair advantage to Sword knights and Cavaliers, making Lance knights nearly useless, and leaving the player with no indoor lance users other then a mediocre axe armor who needed to be promoted and a general who appears very late in the game with an E-rank in lances.

So do you think it'll be scrapped, certain classes will be able to use lances dismounted, or it'll be left unchanged.

I think they could pull it off if it went a little like this. When dismounted instead of just loosing stats you change stats a bit. For example you might loose a little bit of defense and strength but gain a little skill and speed. I dunno what makes more sense, gaining or loosing speed but meh.

However weapon rank is a problem and the dismounting feature really wouldn't be that cool or needed at all so I'm kind of against it.

Edited by Hash Jar

Dismounting has been implemented pretty poorly in the past and since it wasn't in Shadow Dragon I don't think it will be in this game.

Dismounting can stay in the mosh pit of "terrible FE ideas that should never be implemented again", right up there with Pursuit.

Through terrain penalties, lower base stats, and weakness to slayer damage, mounted units don't need more issues to deal with.

Edited by SaltyWongIsSalty

Dismounting can stay in the mosh pit of "terrible FE ideas that should never be implemented again", right up there with Pursuit.

Through terrain penalties, lower base stats, and weakness to slayer damage, mounted units don't need more issues to deal with.

I think part of the idea is that dismounted units don't have those terrain penalties or weapon weaknesses...

Dismounted units were still good (just that now your normally inferior move units are better for these chapters), and it affected enemies too, so there was never a threat of fighting Cavaliers/Paladins while you were stuck dismounted indoors (and WT doesn't matter much for Armors and Soldiers).

If Cavaliers were actually better than any other brand of unit on the flat, then sure forcing dismounts and making them worse indoors would make sense.

The problem is, you'd be taking a unit that's no better than most others, and making it worse than all others. Plus reclassing, it's pointless at best and Cainbreaking at worst.

I vote no.

Yeah, in FE3's crappy system where it was easy to hit the point of doubling anyway.
I am finding it okay in FE5 as well.

I don't think the stat reductions are enough to dismiss dismounted characters entirely, especially later on once they're leveled up.

If Cavaliers were actually better than any other brand of unit on the flat, then sure forcing dismounts and making them worse indoors would make sense.
Mounts are usually top/high tier in most game. The Movement points and weapon choices do make them better innately, and on the enemy side you don't fight mounts indooors in a dismount system anyway.
The problem is, you'd be taking a unit that's no better than most others, and making it worse than all others.
Then you enter an outdoor chapter and suddenly they're better than everyone else. It's a situational feature that changes the dynamics of your team.
Plus reclassing, it's pointless at best and Cainbreaking at worst.
I don't think Dismounting will be in anyway. Edited by Super FE3 Player

I am finding it okay in FE5 as well.

Individual enemies in FE5 aren't much better than in FE3 if they're even better at all, and all swords-lock in that game means is that you don't get 1-2 range since the WT means almost nothing, so FE5 is also not a good example.

Only served to make good characters (Felgus) stay good and other characters suck more? (Fred, Glade)

Well, in this case, I suppose Sirius and the like for good and Roshea for bad (And Roshea is BAD after all)

There is no point to dismount if there is reclass. Basically a dismounted cavalier that can only use swords is just another myrmidon. But they will probably just reduce movement or not change anything at all.