Lord of Azure Flame: Chapter 8: To Catch a [s]Predator[/s] Demonic, soul-sucking mesh

Snowy_One

"Alught here goes nothing."

Cess took a small Dias and pack of cards out of his pack. He focused his energy into the device, and the small gems lighted up on the sides. He drew five cards.

"Hmm. Alright. Let me see. 1. Erase, Something valuable is disapearing, it will be gone soon. 2. Libra, Someone close to you is hiding the truth, somthing important, from you. 3. Maze, You will come upon a great obstacle very soon, one that will bewilder and conise you. 4. Silent, there is one that avoids talking to you, that can tech you a powerful spell. 5. Rain, a storm is coming, one that us important, one that will change something. That is all I can see."

Cess put his things away. He laughed.

"I know the fortunes don't seem very straightforward, they never really are. I merely see the symbols and try to interpret them. I'm afraid what they truly mean, and how they affect things, is up to you."

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morgan pondered her fortune.

Something valuable is disappearing, probably referring to life or peace and the Lord of Azure Flame coming back. Someone hiding something from me, well given how this group is prone to secrecy that's not much of a surprise, that could also be a reference to the shapeshifter. A great obstacle bewildering me, I am rarely bewildered, so that is not good. Someone doesn't talk to me and can teach me a powerful spell, well I have poor relations with all the mages in the group really, none of them talk to me, though I doubt Isotov or Helios can teach me anything. Something will change...for the better or worse I wonder?

As she thought, raindrops began to sprinkle on her head.

"Well, your last prediction seemed to come true, at least in a literal sense." she said, giving Cess a half smile.

"Telling fortunes does seem to be rather vague. I notice that they were not very positive, probably foretelling the Lord of Azure Flame. You have seen the signs for him coming back, haven't you? Sometimes...I wonder if perhaps I have been misreading things, maybe I am twisting these people's lives around for no purpose."

What would that be Iso? asked the teacherly woman, quickly scrawling the note down.

---

"Aww crud!" exclaimed Esphyr as the first drops of rain touched her forehead. "Ms. Helen, does your cart have some kind of covered top? It's starting to rain."

"Huh? No. But there might be some sort of covering off the side. I don't remember if I put it back there from getting mended or not though. Is everyone here? I would like to get going as soon as you finish checking." Helenos honestly didn't know if there was a top there or not; having just 'acquired' the cart that morning. However, she didn't doubt that whoever it was that had owned it before she had acquired it had some form of covering.

Esphyr quickly leapt off the side of the cart to check. "I see something on the far side." she quickly called out before undoing several knots and pulling over a huge sack-cloth covering to shield the group. "It's not much, but it beats exposure." she offered, leaping back on near Morgan and Cess and pulling it up over with her.

Chase stumbled into the carriage, not having a horse of his own and not wanting to walk. He sat down next to Morgan in order to be as far away from Helios as possible, and to not be on the side. "Never been in a carriage before... is it bumpy?" he asked to nobody in particular.

"Well they are many possible fortunes. Not all are good nor bad. It typically depends on the person. I can tell you've been through a great hardship. I won't press it though."

Cess sat in thought a moment. He sneezed. This rain was beginning to make him feel sick. But he wouldn't let the others know it.

"I suppose if this mesh is how the others are describing it, it must be some sort of demon. But if there's one, there must be more. I am a bit worried about that."

As Morgan made her decision, Tessa breathed a sigh of relief. She wasn't going to have to end up choosing between friends after all, a bind that she had been dearly dreading and frighteningly close to having come to pass. The troubadour had made it out to about the halfway point between where Irina had been pleading, and where the rest of the group had been watching idly before noticing, and when the shaman passed her on the way back she'd said, "I'm happy we can all stay together. I wouldn't have cared if it were with the cart, or without it."

Morgan had inclined her head, indicating that she'd heard, but not giving much more away in her reaction. She was probably just eager to get on with things. Tessa had hoped to maybe pull her aside, and try to work out just where things stood between them, but the fact of the matter was that the shaman's threat had suddenly left her the center of attention for the whole group, which pretty much precluded any attempt she might make on the matter.

She and Trevor were standing around still, watching most of the people pile onto the cart, while Kiev, bearing Irina was wheeling about it impatiently. It looked as though the swordsman might be standing by his earlier claim, fully intent to walk, as he hadn't yet climbed aboard. The pale traveller brought to mind Kamilla again. She wasn't quite sure what the man's connection with her was, but they had seemed closer than anyone else had been to the cleric in training. A pang hit her again recalling her disappearance. Things had certainly been a handful after Morgan's spell had affected her―over-affected even? Maybe something unintended had happened, and things had gone wrong?―something about her had awakened a protective, maternal instinct in Tessa, and she still found herself worried and fretting, though she knew full well it would do no good at this point.

A nicker from Trevor roused her from her thoughts, and she looked up to see Arrin, riding upon Francis, trotting up over to her. "This wagon business is a bit odd, isn't it?" he remarked quietly.

Much pleased by the interruption, Tessa let the other concerns slip away for the moment, as she turned to address him. "I, well actually, my mind really hasn't been on the matter at hand," she confessed frankly. "So much has just happened. The demon Damian, finding out that the cause of Kamilla's strange behaviour had been one of Sis's spells, her suddenly running off in the hustle and bustle, and then Sis threatening to leave us. I just haven't been able to bring myself to really consider the matter of 'odd' or not. Life, really just isn't as simple as it used to be..."

A few raindrops landed lightly on the tips of her ears and she looked up, "Huh, a sunshower? That's a fair omen." Looking forward it seemed that the wagon was about ready to depart. Turning back to the mage, she finished, "We should probably start to catch up, but why don't you tell me what's on your mind?"

Edited by Balcerzak

Heinz walked the side of the road, slightly tired from the ridiculous amount of walking he had had to do in the past twenty-four hours. According the last travelers he had passed, a few mages from TISME, there had recently been some sort of bandit uprising, but it had all been put down supposedly by so and so leader who had a pegasus. Soldiers. Always think they're so much better than us mercenaries just because they have an "official" title. At least he had found out that the capital was less than half a day away.

Up in the distance, he spotted a cart and decided to ask how close he was to Ilphymia.

OOC: The twenty-four hours is a rough guess, and provides some basis for him catching up to the group. Yes, I know I probably spelled the capital wrong again.

OOC: Assuming Daiman is in the cart.

IC: Soon, with the cloth cover over them to protect them from the rain, the group was on the way. The cart ride proved to be fairly smooth, but not devoid of bumps at all. Yet, it was akin to a bump once every moment or two. As they rode on, Esphyr looked at Tessa. "Listen, Tessa... About last time we fought... I'm sorry for acting so... Volatile. I shouldn't have done that. I had set you up as a mental wailing target, and I lost to that. I'm sorry, both for setting you up and for acting like a child."

"Hey!" called back Helen as the cart left the city and headed out upon the road. "We got a rider on the road. Nothing unusual for a city like this, but if yer on the headmasters business, best to be on guard."

With that, she turned her attention back to driving them towards their inevitable doom destination, giving a curt and pleasant 'morning' to the rider as he approached.

OOC: Going to assume I'm the rider, except I'm not on horseback.

As the cart approached, the driver slowed down slightly and greeted him politely. Heinz inclined his head towards the young woman and asked about the city's whereabouts. "Excuse me, but do you know how far Illyphina is from here? I've been walking for quite a while to try and ..... find some people." Looking behind the cart, he noticed a nomad and a mage riding two horses, and raised his eyebrow at the sight. "Forgive me if I seem rude, but when was the last time a nomad and a mage traveled together? Are they also going to your destination with the cart?"

OOC: Wait, is Kelas still in nomad clothes?

"About fifty paces behind us. If you close your eyes and really squint hard, you might be able to make out the grains of mortar between the stones of the wall." replied Helenos with a tad of snark in her voice.

"Also, Irina, didn't you say something about my sword earlier?"

Isotov

After reading Katie's response, Iso put his thoughts together so his request would come out the way he wanted.

Iso: Iiii ... can't. *sigh* I don't want to seem strange, but I can't sense what I'm feeling ... ever. Ever since we've met, I've felt like I'm in a normal mood with no influences whatsoever. If I ever got upset with someone, I wouldn't know unless I was clinching my fists. I'm pretty certain that I'm not fond of Morgan. Anyway. That aside, I'm not exactly certain why I act a certain way at certain times. Until these fragments are out of my mind, I'll never be able to tell how I feel about any of you people. Are you ... any good at gauging people, Katie?

Irina

Irina: Your sword? *yawn* Can't remember. I got all caught up in this splitting up business. In hindsight, you might want to buy a sheath or something.

EDIT: Since/Sence switch strikes again.

EDIT2: Omitting latter half of statement.

EDIT3: Useful advice for Esphyr added.

Edited by Phoenix

"I see. I'm glad that even though you were driving forwards and staring at the road in front of you, you can still tell that the walls of the city are right behind you. Excellent observation. Anyway, thaaaanks for the advice," drawled Heinz. He continued walking past the cart, only to stop when he overheard something about a sword. There was a covering over the majority of the cart, but he could still see the profiles of the people inside.

Two- no three mages, an archer, a swordswoman, a soldier, and even more people he couldn't quite make out hidden in the back. Such a large group, he thought to himself. This could be the group of Crimson Weapon wielders he had been looking for, there were certainly more than enough people to account for every weapon, and it was motley group, consisting of people that should have no reason to be near each other, especially if you counted the mage and nomad on horseback as well.

"Say, what's a group like you traveling together for?" he inquired. "I used to carry a sword to fight as well, may I see the one you are referring to?"

"For a blade that big? Hah! That's a laugh!" exclaimed Esphyr, almost laughing herself. "Irina dear, I bought that sword at that side for a reason. Several to be honest, and one of those was that it was big enough for a sheath to be impractical. And I... " it was at that moment that Heinz's query about the blade reached her ear. "Huh? Is someone out there?" she asked, pulling aside the covering and taking a peek outside.

---

So are you cursed? Or have you grown just so distant from your emotions that you are having trouble dealing with them. wrote Katie before dropping down a line to indicate the difference of her words.

As for gauging people, I don't know. I've never tried or been told how good I am.

OOC: whistler: Kelas is in nomad clothes, again, yes (though they're really just normal clothes, but simpler and undyed.) Skin color/face structure's more of a tip-off, though. (Have been wondering why nobody ever calls out on what appears to be a nomad mage; Arrin should ring more alarm bells than Kelas. Also there's a bit more to it than that, but it's my fault for not posting the useful notes article yet. Working on that.)

"What business of yours is it?" Kelas asked the newcomer suspiciously before Esphyr could answer, on the lookout for a telltale flash of blue. She hand-signed a command to Arrin: caution.

-----------------------------------------------

Now riding alongside Tessa, Arrin answered, "I don't know. It's-- well, it's bee a crazy few days. When I set out, I didn't know if I'd find anyone from my family, let alone a whole group of people and a mission. It's a bit scary... but then, it's really interesting, too, like something right out of my teacher's research." He paused: Kelas had just shown an unfamiliar hand-sign as she scrutinized the newcomer. "And it's... a bit strange, really... I always imagined I'd understand my family quite easily. Apparently I... don't."

edit: grammargh

Edited by The Clockwork Alchemist

Isotov

Iso: Well ... it wasn't a curse at the time. A person I cared for deeply was only trying to help me do away with Proxima. We thought we'd made a little progress, but ... once she died, the seal she used shattered inside of my head. Now pain doesn't bother me, I'm oblivious to things that would wake the dead, and I can't sense my emotions.

He was obviously getting a little depressed about his condition, but tried to keep at least a grin going.

Iso: I was wondering if you could ... keep me informed perhaps? If I'm acting strange, or emotional? At least until your students are avenged? It bothers me that I can't tell what my own motives are sometimes, and knowing how I feel might help me find some clarity. I know it may sound like I'm using you ... but ... you're influencing me more than anyone else right now, so who better ...?

Irina

Irina: There's nothing wrong with having a sheath for a massive blade, especially if you want to keep the blade clean. I'd recommend a leather one with the split side that my friends use. It's incredibly easy to take out with those. For combat, it's probably better to just have your sword ready ahead of-

Heinz's arrival caused Irina to pause right along with Esphyr. Not sure what to make of the man, she just watched and listened while Kiev walked alongside the wagon.

"My name is Heinz. I asked the driver for directions and happened to overhear something about a sword. I used to carry one, but they're a bit bulky and a hassle to carry around. What is your name?" He had a sense that this group was a wary bunch, and he tried to put them at ease by talking about himself. "Personally, I prefer knives, they're easier to wield and more agile then your average sword."

"Esphyr. I prefer swords over knives because they are bulky and slow in comparison to knives." shot back Esphyr. "I'm a mercenary under the employ of another of our members. Do you have any business with my employer?" she asked, curious. Her little quip though about why she preferred swords, rather, why she liked blades over smaller and faster weapons was actually right on the money.

---

So your lady friend went and made you stupid with her death? And I'm influencing you? I... I didn't notice. I'm sorry, it seems I'm a poor choice to monitor you.

"I ask again. What business do you have knowing who we are?" Kelas said, even though Esphyr had already answered the man. She moved slightly, bringing her bow into reach in case this was an ambush. She was slightly aware of the fact that normally she would be less suspicious, but after recent events, she was on edge.

Isotov

He paused for a moment, then shot back.

Iso: You were a poor choice for chef a few days ago, now we've got a stock pile of bacon and a cake. I don't see the problem :mellow:

Irina

Irina noticed Iso and Katie talking to each other again, and didn't want to be close enough to hear the contents. Something about their relationship bothered her just a little bit.

Irina: (Let's see ... what to do ... oh! I should scout for the wagon. I can handle that ^_^ ) Hey, guys, I'm going to keep an eye out in case anyone shows up.

She quickly whipped down on Kiev's reins and he took off kicking up a lot of dirt and dust! She was well over a hundred feet in the air and out of earshot within a few seconds. She continued to fly in vast circles around the group watching the road ahead of them.

"So you like swords for the very same reasons I prefer knives? Interesting," he mused. "I would like to spar against you someday, it would be an challenge of two different skillsets and styles. I'm a traveling mercenary as well, and I've heard rumors of a recent bandit attack on Illphymia. I was planning on traveling there, but your group seems like an unusual one. I sense..... a spirit of adventure and chaos, and I'm usually right on the money with these matters. Plus, I do need to spar against you at some point, so I might as well see if I can join your group rather than have to chase after you later. I never miss out on a fight." He grinned.

He heard someone talking behind him and spun around. "I don't know who you are, but I said before, I'm looking for some adventure and preferably some money as well. That is what mercenaries do, if you haven't heard," he said with a touch of sarcasm.

Heinz turned back around to Esphyr. "Who is your employer then?" he asked.

Edited by the_whistler

"Wait. Wait. Wait," Chase interrupted as he got out of the carriage. "You're telling me... you're a traveller... who wants to join a random group... for no reason except it might be interesting?"

"Exactly. I'm hungry, and there seems to be a potential employer and source of food in this cart." He replied. Heinz took a closer look at the man and squinted slightly. He looks like that man who's wanted ..... with a huge bounty on his head for committing dozens of crimes. What's he doing in this group?

"Anyway, this seems to be a place filled with misfits, considering the number of mages, warriors, and miscellaneous people you have here" he remarked dryly. "What harm would one more do? Besides, you need more competent people here and in my opinion...... having traveled and protected dozens of groups before...... you are highly lacking in everything besides mages. Not that there aren't some warriors here, but nowhere near enough."

Tired of talking to the man, Heinz looked around for someone who could possibly be Esphyr's employer. Maybe that soldier? Or that noble over there......

"I don't think you would want to be hired by my employer to be honest. He pays us with his lance." replied Esphyr, trying to dissuade the man. "Besides, a mercenary man like you he might not want to 'pay'. Though, I guess it's his choice in the end."