Best/Worst in the Series: Round 43

NinjaMonkey

Most is Speed, as it is the most useful stat offensively and also useful defensively.

Least is Skill, as it is the second least useful stat offensively and has no defensive use.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look at this topic as "which one would you want your characters to have more of?" The existence of Pure Water and Barrier consequently push Resistance down that list since I can substitute the actual stat with those instead. It's the same logic that makes healing worse in FE10 on account of the buffed healing items; substitutes make the original less valuable, not more.

But they're not a 'substitute'. CEV from supports can be called a 'substitute' for luck, since it doesn't actually raise your luck, but fulfill's Luck's primary function. RES from Pure Water/Barrier does not 'imitate' Resistance, it actually increases your Resistance stat (albeit temporarily).

(Incidentally, it's worth noting that the OP never specified whether we had to pick one of the 'core stats', or one of the derived stats like HIT, AS, AVO, CEV, CRIT)

But they're not a 'substitute'. CEV from supports can be called a 'substitute' for luck, since it doesn't actually raise your luck, but fulfill's Luck's primary function. RES from Pure Water/Barrier does not 'imitate' Resistance, it actually increases your Resistance stat (albeit temporarily).

This sounds like you're just being picky. In essence these two are the exact same thing, just acquired and displayed differently. You're picking on the fact that one of them actually displays a +# on the stat in question. So tell me, if it increased Res but didn't display that number (aka Ninis's Grace) would you then consider that a 'substitute?'

Maybe it's just a difference of views, but I'm considering anything that comes from an outside source to be a substitute for the actual stat. If I can more safely push the actual stat down on a character, I don't consider that an "important" stat, and Res is the first stat I'd choose to push down on probably any character.

LCK's still evade. A CEV/Dodge support would fulfill LCK's entire purpose except for Devil Axeing.

But no, they're the same. Nolan doesn't have +5 DEF forever (adding to the stat) because he owns Tarvos. He still has to equip it. Therefore, Nolan's DEF can be lower because he can equip Tarvos. Tarvos is a substitute for DEF-blessing. Ephraim, STR, Siegmund. Leo, SPD, Lughnasadh. So on, so on. They're the same as Pure Water.

Ike can afford to lose Evade because of his Earth affinity. If SPD didn't also make doubling possible, I'd say SPD is also less important for Ike.

Pure Water and Barrier raise resistance. If you need to use them, then you are conceding that resistance is necessary and useful.

But the existence of those for RES and not for any other stat also trivializes it. The same could be argued of CEV and LCK, I suppose.

Oh yes, let's see, my votes:

Most Useful: Mov. It's a stat!

Least Useful: Wt. It's a stat!

The importance of Res really depends on the game, though. And it's nice to have against bosses with high Mag.

FE4 CH10 and Endgame is pretty much mage territory and the physical enemies are pretty pathetic. Dark Mages, while having crap durability, like to stand on cliffs and snipe you with Fenrir. Infinite use Sleep staff is even worse. You can't just wait until they use all three shots, so anyone on your team not named Celice, Sety and Fee (only with Claude. Levin's Res isn't all that good either), Aless, Yuria (who's not there during those chapters) , and maybe Tinny and Lana faces instant sleep and Leaf ends up using all of his money on repairing the Restore Staff instead of doing something more useful with his money because I'd rather burn up Restore than wait 5 turns. Not fun. Plus Altenna takes horrible damage from those things and gets sleep'd every other turn so Fee is the only viable choice to kill those things half the time.

On the other hand, Res is definitely less important in the GBA titles since Infinite sleep staves are no longer an issue and most mage enemies won't oneshot you. And in FEDS just get Lena to tank them.

On another note, is it okay that I change my vote before the votes are counted? If we can vote for any stat and not just the main ones, like Renall pointed out earlier, Wt is a stat. I actually like Luck.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Best First Boss: 1st Lawrence ; 2nd O'Neill ; 3rd Greil

Worst First Boss: 1st O'Neill ; 2nd Greil ; 3rd Lawrence

Ahhhhh, SF...so very consistent...

Best First Boss: 1st Lawrence ; 2nd O'Neill ; 3rd Greil

Worst First Boss: 1st O'Neill ; 2nd Greil ; 3rd Lawrence

Ahhhhh, SF...so very consistent...

Makes me wonder how can something get both best and worst at the same time. >_>

You vote for one Best and one Worst. The number of people who voted O'Neill for best don't have to be greater than the number who voted O'Neill worst to get his placed on both.

EDIT: Actual sense-making version: The two votes are counted separate from each other, not +1 for Best/-1 for Worst.

I particularly liked that, in that Round, everybody had the same reasoning. O'Neill for best because he had the balls to attack Seth/O'Neill for worst because he was dumb enough to attack Seth. Lawrence for best because he explodes/Lawrence for worst because he explodes.

Edited by Integrity

And we're done here (Next round will commence shortly)!

Most: Speed

Least: resistance

sorry, NinjaMonkey. Looks like I was wrong. Apparently that's not good enough to prevent people from voting after it's over. I may just close the next topic once voting is finished if you like.

sorry, NinjaMonkey. Looks like I was wrong. Apparently that's not good enough to prevent people from voting after it's over. I may just close the next topic once voting is finished if you like.

That would be nice, thank you!