Suggested Team for a First Playthrough

Well... I'm about to plan to download a good torrent of Dolphin emulator and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.... I already have thought of some units to use already... but I'm not pretty sure if I might feel comfortable with it...

Anyways... Any good opinions for a well-placed team for a first playthrough of this game? Please include the skills to use, thank you.... and also tell me which units in here that are best choice, and the ones to stay away from or avoid to use...

Well... I'm about to plan to download a good torrent of Dolphin emulator and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.... I already have thought of some units to use already... but I'm not pretty sure if I might feel comfortable with it...

Anyways... Any good opinions for a well-placed team for a first playthrough of this game? Please include the skills to use, thank you.... and also tell me which units in here that are best choice, and the ones to stay away from or avoid to use...

It's not easy to suggest a team if we don't know your skill level or the difficulty level you plan on using.

A "turtle-style" playthrough would see high durability units as the best regardless of their offence or their movement. A more efficient (quick or quick-ish) style focuses more on high move units with great offence to plow through the maps. Also there is the question of abuse. If you are willing to sit on bosses on special tiles for a few hundred turns as they slowly heal back damage given then again good units are harder to define. Also some people like sitting on stat-boosters until the end of the game and some don't like using bexp until the same.

If you just want suggestions, look at the top of the tier list or in Aquilae's playlog.

Just focus on about 10 or less units. Fill up any other deployment slots with prepromotes/laguz with the better stats based on what you see in the chapter. Though if you really don't care to look up details and just want some names out there, here's a bunch

Titania (give her the boss kills)

Boyd

Oscar

Kieran

Astrid (BEXP her up some levels early on)

Mist/Rhys

Nephenee

Mia

Jill

Gatrie

Soren if you want a Mage

In my personal experience, these units are a good choice for a team:

Soren (caps mag, res, skill, maybe spd)

Jill (str, def, skill, maybe spd)

Mist (just to have a valkyrie healing and attacking greatly with magic swords, mag, res, maybe speed)

Elincia (mag, maybe spd)

Zihark (str, spd, skill)

Mia (skill, spd)

Must include in a FE 9 team:

Ike (main character, so yes)

Boyd (caps pretty good stats)

Oscar (the same case above)

Rolf (far better than Shinon, therefore best archer)

Marcia (same as Boyd and Oscar, capable of capping some stats)

Nephenee (simply a good offensive/defensive unit)

Volke (best thief/assassin in the game)

As for armored knigths, well Gatrie and Brom have their own growth and benefits, choose the one you like the most. If you won't play RD (which I can guess because you said you would search for an emulator)then don't lose time training Sothe, he ends up pretty limited in comparison to Volke. Laguz are good too, so choose one if you like them. All previous recommendations are based on my experience, so they may turn a bit different.

Also because I guess you're a fan of Kieran, I would recommend him. He's a decent enough unit, worth training. Good luck and hope you like the game. Train a balanced group as in other FE games (tanks, attackers, defender healers, etc) and hope a certain battle in the game doesn't get on your nerves like it did with me. Sorry if I spoiled anything.

Keep in mind the difficulty changes the exp, so if you play in normal (which I do) I would suggest you to train up to 10 units for them to end up begin useful. I would look here for more details.

Edited by Light Lord

In my personal experience, these units are a good choice for a team:

Soren (caps mag, res, skill, maybe spd)

Jill (str, def, skill, maybe spd)

Mist (just to have a valkyrie healing and attacking greatly with magic swords, mag, res, maybe speed)

Elincia (mag, maybe spd)

Zihark (str, spd, skill)

Mia (skill, spd)

Must include in a FE 9 team:

Ike (main character, so yes)

Boyd (caps pretty good stats)

Oscar (the same case above)

Rolf (far better than Shinon, therefore best archer)

Marcia (same as Boyd and Oscar, capable of capping some stats)

Nephenee (simply a good offensive/defensive unit)

Volke (best thief/assassin in the game)

As for armored knigths, well Gatrie and Brom have their own growth and benefits, choose the one you like the most. If you won't play RD (which I can guess because you said you would search for an emulator)then don't lose time training Sothe, he ends up pretty limited in comparison to Volke. Laguz are good too, so choose one if you like them. All previous recommendations are based on my experience, so they may turn a bit different.

Also because I guess you're a fan of Kieran, I would recommend him. He's a decent enough unit, worth training. Good luck and hope you like the game. Train a balanced group as in other FE games (tanks, attackers, defender healers, etc) and hope a certain battle in the game doesn't get on your nerves like it did with me. Sorry if I spoiled anything.

Lack of mention of Astrid makes me a sad panda. Especially since Rolf is very annoying to train, and it isn't even worth having a sniper in FE9 (lol longbows, lol double bow).

Also because I guess you're a fan of Kieran

BINGO! I would love to witness his crazy personality once I play the game.... and yes... He has the best personality hands down!

He's already in my characters-that-I-plan-to-use...

I would suggest the same list as Sirius, basically, except replace Mia with Stefan or Zihark. I personally prefer to use Stefan (and save a Hammerne use for his Vague Katti in the last chapter), but whatever floats your boat.

You should choose between the characters:

Titania(If you're really desesperate for help, she owns everything for most of the game)

Oscar(Great choice for lance users)

Boyd(The only Warrior in the game, and he is great)

Soren(Best Sage with great MAG)

Mist(Healer on a horse is epic)

Ilyana(Is a great complement with Soren)

Marcia(Flying is great, plus she's very fast and has a lot of avoid)

Nephenee(Great defense and offense)

Kieran(Very good paladin)

Zihark(Earth+Inner Adept= great Swordmaster)

Jill(One of the best defense of my team)

Astrid(She always has been one of my best unit, baby her, you won't regret it)

Rolf(IF YOU REALLY WANT A SNIPER, but he is very troublesome to train)

Elincia(Even better than mist, because she FLIES and HEAL!!)

The best ten:

Oscar

Boyd

Soren

Mist

Marcia

Nephenee

Kieran

Zihark

Jill

Astrid

That's pretty much it!

Zihark(Earth+Inner Adept= great Swordmaster)

One problem with that, his Earth is virtually useless with no decent supports. Of the three mages you get, Ilyana is the worst choice IMO and if Soren's already being used she won't be needed at all. If you want to make use of his Earth affinity you're going to want to have units like Brom and Muarim on your team, with Muarim probably being his best option for supports seeing as his affinity gives avoid on top of Zihark's Earth and def to go with it.

One problem with that, his Earth is virtually useless with no decent supports. Of the three mages you get, Ilyana is the worst choice IMO and if Soren's already being used she won't be needed at all. If you want to make use of his Earth affinity you're going to want to have units like Brom and Muarim on your team, with Muarim probably being his best option f!or supports seeing as his affinity gives avoid on top of Zihark's Earth and def to go with it.

Oops, you're right! Well, even so, you could still add Muarim to your team, he is also a very good laguz unit, except that I'm not a fan of the Laguz, but still, Muarim is one of the best!

Elincia(Even better than mist, because she FLIES and HEAL!!)

I fail to see how Elincia is better than Mist. For one, sure, Elincia can fly, but guess what? Her being able to fly doesn't make a very big difference because the maps she's available for don't really give flying a significant advantage (Chapter 26 is pretty much a giant open field, chapter 27 is indoors, and the last chapter doesn't have much in the way of terrain to fly over). And as I just suggested, she's only available for all of three chapters.

Umm, she can fly over the fountain in the center in the last chapter. If you're trying to Rescue Ike for a fast clear, she's better for it than Mist.

Are you sure about that? Because I don't remember being able to fly over the fountain that's not too far from your starting position. The fences around that fountain, however, can be flown over. At any rate, if I want to rescue, I'd rather do it with someone with Savior, since rescuing compromises your durability in the process for most units.

Edited by Ein Lanford

Are you sure about that? Because I don't remember being able to fly over the fountain that's not too far from your starting position. The fences around that fountain, however can be flown over. At any rate, if I want to rescue, I'd rather do it with someone with Savior, since rescuing compromises your durability in the process for most units.

You can't fly over the fountain itself, but you can cross the fences with a flyer. And I'm fairly sure Slowking means Rescue as using the Rescue Staff, not the Rescue command (Why would you even use Elincia/Mist for rescuing instead of someone like Jill or Marcia). Elincia does allow you to do some

, though it requires some massive abuse (BEXP is not a problem, since by lategame you get ridiculous amounts of it).

EDIT: Too slow.

Edited by Krad

i think they are referring to the Rescue staff,actually.

You can't fly over the fountain itself, but you can cross the fences with a flyer. And I'm fairly sure Slowking means Rescue as using the Rescue Staff, not the Rescue command (Why would you even use Elincia/Mist for rescuing instead of someone like Jill or Marcia). Elincia does allow you to do some

, though it requires some massive abuse (BEXP is not a problem, since by lategame you get ridiculous amounts of it).

EDIT: Too slow.

Doh! Forgot about that.

Krad: Well, you have a point, but as you said, it requires abuse on a pretty big scale.

Nah, in POR you have the BEXP to make a relatively large team viable. And Ike/Mia make for a bad small team core anyway compared to all the other options you have. They will have to solo large parts of the game by themselves without 2-range, they have less move and no Canto.