Fire Emblem - Fūin no Tsurugi (Remake)

Superluigi

Merlinus does use the same slot, however I know why the error occurs, or at least I think I do. I edited the Transporter class so that it would be selectable in the combat prep, however I believe at the same time I might have removed the ability to access the storage.

EDIT: Thanks Lord Glenn for you error reporting. I'm in the process of editing Serra's animation, shame the original can't be inserted but it won't be hard to edit.

Edited by Superluigi

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be best to have Merlinus function as his FE7 incarnation does. Personally I think that was a better system anyways.

^In addition, he has to join the chapter before for him to be "added" to the Battle Preps. If you try and add him another way he'll still show up but the Convoy stuff won't be activated. Just another heads-up since I myself had some issues with Merlinus, once... >_>

• 3 weeks later...

Chapter four has offically been completed. Go me!

It took me a while to figure out how to make Clarine talk to Roy but I did in the end.

[spoiler=Chapter 4 screens]fesosscrns4.png

I had ago at inserting some FE6 tilesets, however I have noticed that Fe6 tile configurations work slightly differently to FE7, so chapter 5 will undergo a few changes like chapter 3. Hopefully I can get this fixed before the Ilia chapters.

And since I'm nice you can enjoy a little sneak preview of one of the special chapters.

fesosscrnsspecialteaser.png

Edited by Superluigi

I AM READY TO DEFEND OSTIA =D

Y'know, you should have asked Nintenlord or I on how to do the Clarine-talk-to-Roy thing, 'cuz it would've saved you the trouble of finding it out yourself. NL figured it out before and I made a very simple NMM for it called the "AI Recruitment Editor" (I think it was a multiple part editor) and had some doc on it too--it's in the latest version of the GBA NMMs. It'd suck if you had to debug and figure out how to do it yourself... T_T

Anyhow, I'm liking the great work, as well as the broken Ostian soldiers. ^_^

^ I don't mind figuring out stuff for myself, so long as it doesn't take me a week. And yes epically broken Ostia soldiers FTW. Although in truth, only the soldier shown is broken, the rest are average.

Anyway more updates, I finished the intro scenes of chapter 5.

fesosscrns5teaser.png

Chapter 5 is now a 'defeat boss' chapter. Since I can't be bothered to put anymore work into putting a gate in there. It is a 'remake' so I have the right not to be 100% accurate. Dory is now called Dorian, since I'm only going to let the gay bandits have a girly name. No offence if you're a guy called Dory.

It was going to be a 'defeat all' chapter, as suggested by Arch; however FE6 Bosses suck when they're not placed on a gate. So I moved both the playable units and Dorian slightly further away so it is still worth going through the northern pass.

Chapter 5 is now a 'defeat boss' chapter. Since I can't be bothered to put anymore work into putting a gate in there. It is a 'remake' so I have the right not to be 100% accurate. Dory is now called Dorian, since I'm only going to let the gay bandits have a girly name. No offence if you're a guy called Dory.

It was going to be a 'defeat all' chapter, as suggested by Arch; however FE6 Bosses suck when they're not placed on a gate. So I moved both the playable units and Dorian slightly further away so it is still worth going through the northern pass.

Alternatively, you might consider extending the mountain range (of Peak tiles) towards the gap, and fill in some Mountain tiles to make it obscenely hard to traverse between the mountain ridges. (This would also force at least most of the mounted units north (barring Marcus, since Paladins can cross Mountain tiles...), so you still have people going that way.)

Wow, this is awesome! I love your idea about adding in characters and chapters from the manga and hope it works out. Will you be using the stats from the manga? Idk if you would take the time to do this but i think it would be cool if you gave roy a new battle sprite after promotion as it always annoys me that he doesn't have one. Any possible way of getting him to promote earlier or adding in more chapters after promotion would be sweet as well. Also, please, please make idoun a challenge.

Edit: A few more questions. First, will assassins be making an appearance? Second, will you be using the stats and bonuses for the classes with FE7's stats. or FE6's? Finally, will you be adding in any weapons or magic from FE7?

Edited by Jediabiwan

How exactly do you plan to take out characters? I imagine there is a way to expand the roster size, but really, with no changes up to chapter 4, you'll never meet the 38(ish) characters FE7 caps you at. Considering, the most worthless characters are the two axe fighters, Garret, Echidna, Igrene, and Cath, most others have cross relationships and story importance.

How exactly do you plan to take out characters? I imagine there is a way to expand the roster size, but really, with no changes up to chapter 4, you'll never meet the 38(ish) characters FE7 caps you at. Considering, the most worthless characters are the two axe fighters, Garret, Echidna, Igrene, and Cath, most others have cross relationships and story importance.

Hopefully you can expand the roster size and won't have to remove characters b/c each character is unique, and somebody likes them. Not to mention you will hopefully be adding more new characters from the manga. On that topic you should me able to just add new side chapters featuring them without taking the other ones out.

Hopefully you can expand the roster size and won't have to remove characters b/c each character is unique, and somebody likes them. Not to mention you will hopefully be adding more new characters from the manga. On that topic you should me able to just add new side chapters featuring them without taking the other ones out.

I don't think every character is worth saving; Some characters aren't going to be used because they're bad or worse as another character. And even personality wise, some are just mirrors of others.

For example, if it's not too late, I'd probably combine Lott and Wade. Watt? They aren't vastly different, and both go underused simply because the original title nerfed them because their class would have been, in theory, broken late in the game(Bows+Axes=Dead fliers). I think Lott is a little underrated, with interesting stat set ups, and would be broken with FE7 axes, but assuming designer can go back, it'd probably be beneficial to all involved if they were combined(likely based on Lott, if only because he comes at the higher level), take the best stats from the two(Ward doesn't really win often, anyway +1 STR +2 Luck) and reorganize and slightly improved growths(Swap Lott's D and strength, add 5 to strength, skill, and/or luck).

Especially if designer just sticks to FE6 supports boring set up. Because, honestly, I think Lott has the better supports too. Better reason to help Echidna, Thany, and gets more in conversation from Dieck.

EDIT: I really asked not because I care who is killed off, but more because I don't think he has options remaining short of losing classes. For example. The next character I can think of dropping is Dorothy. Bland character, and honestly, Wolt could use a boost. Now no, it's not exactly a good reason to boost him - At the same time, she doesn't even excel Saul the pervert, and Wolt could use a reason for use. Treck, Noah, and Zealot? Zealot is the leader. Noah talks to Fir. Treck? Well, could probably be combined with Noah to make him more interesting.

I'm not asking for a list of cuts, but a rough roster size would be nice. Lest you risk alienating fans.

And almost every thing above is stated assuming that characters would transfer over directly while you would attempt making the game harder.

Edited by bunny: Now with Pancakes

I don't think every character is worth saving; Some characters aren't going to be used because they're bad or worse as another character. And even personality wise, some are just mirrors of others.

For example, if it's not too late, I'd probably combine Lott and Wade. Watt? They aren't vastly different, and both go underused simply because the original title nerfed them because their class would have been, in theory, broken late in the game(Bows+Axes=Dead fliers). I think Lott is a little underrated, with interesting stat set ups, and would be broken with FE7 axes, but assuming designer can go back, it'd probably be beneficial to all involved if they were combined(likely based on Lott, if only because he comes at the higher level), take the best stats from the two(Ward doesn't really win often, anyway +1 STR +2 Luck) and reorganize and slightly improved growths(Swap Lott's D and strength, add 5 to strength, skill, and/or luck).

Especially if designer just sticks to FE6 supports boring set up. Because, honestly, I think Lott has the better supports too. Better reason to help Echidna, Thany, and gets more in conversation from Dieck.

EDIT: I really asked not because I care who is killed off, but more because I don't think he has options remaining short of losing classes. For example. The next character I can think of dropping is Dorothy. Bland character, and honestly, Wolt could use a boost. Now no, it's not exactly a good reason to boost him - At the same time, she doesn't even excel Saul the pervert, and Wolt could use a reason for use. Treck, Noah, and Zealot? Zealot is the leader. Noah talks to Fir. Treck? Well, could probably be combined with Noah to make him more interesting.

I'm not asking for a list of cuts, but a rough roster size would be nice. Lest you risk alienating fans.

And almost every thing above is stated assuming that characters would transfer over directly while you would attempt making the game harder.

Well I see no reason to remove characters simply because they are boring. Plus, he said he would try to balance characters out so maybe some of the useless ones will be made usefull and characters who need boosts will get them. I guess i just hate to see anything removed unless it is harming something; I would like this to have everything the original had and more. Anyways, it isn't my decision so I guess we will see what happens.

To my knowledge, it's entirely possible to expand the playable character roster. There's a limit of 255 "unique" characters (as in, PCs, other units, and non-generic enemies), and that's certainly enough slots for all the FE6 characters.

To my knowledge, it's entirely possible to expand the playable character roster. There's a limit of 255 "unique" characters (as in, PCs, other units, and non-generic enemies), and that's certainly enough slots for all the FE6 characters.

Generics are included in that 255. The Snags and Walls take up two slots also.

If only the game needed 50 characters. Every character isn't worth saving though, especially not in their current form. Without something built in to make 60 characters different, having more than 3-4 of each weapon class just makes balancing them turn them either boring or incredibly difficult. If the game had skills, I'd change my turn, but. . .

^ Yes but choice, as to who you can use from each class is nice, not matter how much anyone pleads either way only I shall decide who is removed and in some cases 'added', and I declare that no characters will be removed from the original. End of, and don't worry there is more than enough space, so don't fret, I do have a plan. Besides Dorothy is probably one of my favorite characters from the original, then again I love most underrated characters.

Anyway to answer a few more questions, Assassins will not be in the game; however I am considering adding Rogues and Horsemen. Technically I'll be adding Dark Druids, for a special purpose in a few special chapters.

Roy won't promote early solely because it has to happen when he gets the sword of seals, which can't happen any earlier either. I may increase the base Lords caps so Roy can remain useful via the aid of stat boosting items. Nor will get a new battle sprite, I'm lazy, plus it won't add much to the game.

Anyway I think I've answered all your questions, just bug me if I haven't. Oh and on a side note I finished chapter 5.

[spoiler=Chapter 5 Screens]fesosscrns5.png

Oh and after testing the chapter in its current state it plays out similarly to the original, taking the same amount of turns, roughly anyway.

Edited by Superluigi

Roy won't promote early solely because it has to happen when he gets the sword of seals, which can't happen any earlier either. I may increase the base Lords caps so Roy can remain useful via the aid of stat boosting items. Nor will get a new battle sprite, I'm lazy, plus it won't add much to the game.

I actually think an earlier Roy promotion could be done, the story context of his promotion would have to be changed though. Embrace the joys of retcon, you'll find you have a lot more freedom once you do (as someone who has experience with remakes). Perhaps he could promote after Chapter 16 in accordance with becoming the leader of Eturia/Lycia's combined forces? It's still a logical time for promotion, improves Roy's usefulness and isn't tied to the Sword of Seals.

Anyway to answer a few more questions, Assassins will not be in the game; however I am considering adding Rogues and Horsemen. Technically I'll be adding Dark Druids, for a special purpose in a few special chapters.

I think it would be a shame to screw thieves over yet again, I like the idea of adding Rogues very much (though it would require something new for Cath). I don't see the point behind Horsemen though, Nomadic Troopers are basically the same thing.

Edited by General Archibald

@Arch: I guess when Roy is made General would be a good time, since probably be Lv. 20 by then anyway. And for cath it wouldn't be too hard to edit the existing frames to make a female Rogue. I guess you have a point about Horsemen.

Anyway I think I've answered all your questions, just bug me if I haven't.

Alternatively, you might consider extending the mountain range (of Peak tiles) towards the gap, and fill in some Mountain tiles to make it obscenely hard to traverse between the mountain ridges. (This would also force at least most of the mounted units north (barring Marcus, since Paladins can cross Mountain tiles...), so you still have people going that way.)

Not really a question, but I didn't see a response to it.

Not really a question, but I didn't see a response to it.
Oh and after testing the chapter in its current state it plays out similarly to the original, taking the same amount of turns, roughly anyway.

Basically after testing the chapter I felt there was no need to make the suggested changes, since the number of turns it took you to complete the chapter was effectively the same. You can open the gate on your first turn in the original anyway so it makes little odds.

I'm glad that you've been so receptive to my ideas.

Now for a bit of feedback on Chapter 5. Although I also think that this isn't much different since Dorian is on a gate anyways (the only difference is that you don't have to seize), adding mission variety is a very good thing. I know that Chapter 7's tileset isn't in FE6, I would hope that Superluigi seizes the opportunity to be original and make that a different kind of mission. I could envision it being just the town of Ostia and becoming a rout mission. It's little things like that which add would variety and improve FE6 as a whole. Superluigi, you're doing a great job so far. Keep it up.

Blazer approves of the screenshots. Mythril Axe has totally piqued my interest and not just because I have a "mythril sword" in one of my hacks. Also, is it just me, but has Saul's portrait changed?

I think the eyes have become larger and the old eyes have become the intermediate blinking frame.

...or, I'm just inept at recognising his face.

^ Yes but choice, as to who you can use from each class is nice, not matter how much anyone pleads either way only I shall decide who is removed and in some cases 'added', and I declare that no characters will be removed from the original. End of, and don't worry there is more than enough space, so don't fret, I do have a plan. Besides Dorothy is probably one of my favorite characters from the original, then again I love most underrated characters.

Anyway I think I've answered all your questions, just bug me if I haven't. Oh and on a side note I finished chapter 5.

[spoiler=Chapter 5 Screens]fesosscrns5.png

Three things to note; The first being that, like them or not, some characters aren't worth as much to the story and aren't needed. Large amounts of the cast could be tossed aside if needed. Dorothy is one of those characters; and that was my point. If it makes a difference, Rutger, Lugh, Treck, Lott/Wade, are just character padding anyway. That's all I was saying.

Also, no need to be so over protective of your project. I was making examples of good characters to cut in over saturated classes if the cast were to be significantly trimmed down. I wasn't enforcing anything over you, so going 'end of' over a simple question and analysis is a bit far.

And more options, at the end of the day, doesn't add much if the characters can't stand out much without outclassing the others. The game has 4 generals and 3 Warriors, but short of making them needed or better, they may as well be one bad bland character.

Edited by bunny: Now with Pancakes

@ Arch: Don't worry about chapter 7, I'm already one step ahead of you, that's already going to be a 'rout enemy' chapter. I redesigned the map to accommodate the changes slightly, after you suggested the same for chapter 5.

@ Blazer: Thanks there'll be a whole host of Mythril weapons included in the game and a few others. And yes Saul has changed a bit; I tried to fix his hair.

@ Bunny: Sorry about that. However I do disagree with you on many points, many of the characters if were removed would remain as NPC since most characters to have some roll to play even if it is simply enhancing other characters personalities, such as Dorothy and Saul. In the same way in FE7 characters like Geitz, Wallace and Karla, could be removed. And since all the characters would be kept as NPCs not matter what I decided, I felt it only right that there was the option to use them in battle as well.

If anything there may be a characters added to the rooseter by the end of the project as well.

[spoiler=spoiler]Like Guinevere, Gale and maybe Jemmy and Zeed

Edited by Superluigi