Anime Suggestions?

I hadn't given it much thought, but given what happened to Asuka in 2.0, Mari might end up replacing her as the one who goes through the coma that was to happen later. Idealy, though, she'll be a new story line. 4.0 is going to be a whole new thing, and since Mari is the first thing we've seen that's entirely new, she might play a huge part.

He's of the opinion that she is literally a part of Asuka, sort of like a clone or something. Akin to how there were multiple Reis, but never at the same time.

You know, in the original anime, I don't remember them getting together in the slightest. I watched the whole thing, and that made the ending movie that replaced episode 25 and 26 feel really off (As well as the 50 other things I didn't like about it- I felt there was so much off with how they ended it that it threw the whole series out of wack for me.). Anyway, they seem to be changing that, given that they've ALREADY answered some questions that were unanswered in the original, IIRC.

They had a sort-of relationship. It's suggested throughout the anime that they had feelings for one another, but both of them lacked socially to let each other know of their feelings.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's of the opinion that she is literally a part of Asuka, sort of like a clone or something. Akin to how there were multiple Reis, but never at the same time.

Nah, I think the disconnect there would be too much. Mari's supposed to be from the U.S. (At least from what I gathered) while Asuka's from "Europe" (Specifically Germany, IIRC, but when it comes to exact definition in the story it's left vague). Furthermore, Asuka's supposed to have parent figure issues (stemming from her mother's disconnect from reality combined with the exceptions that come from being genetically altered), while Mari's parents are rather out of the picture, or at least not relevant. Really, the only thing they have related is, besides the fact that they both have tits, that they both pilot the Evangelions for their own purposes.

They had a sort-of relationship. It's suggested throughout the anime that they had feelings for one another, but both of them lacked socially to let each other know of their feelings.

Nah, I got that, but I mean, then the WHOLE FINAL MOVIE is built upon this relationship that was supposed to have been huge and torturous to both sides that practically didn't exist until the final movie made it so. I mean, yeah, Shinji's attraction to her is obvious, but throughout the anime proper it's seems to be one of those "Yeah, she's hot" teenage things without merit, and suddenly in the movie they tried it, had a huge ass falling out, and all sorts of other shit that was, for these two Emo twerps, somehow completely subtle in their regular lives.

And do recall that these two can't have ANYTHING happen without it being a big deal to them.

Edited by Furby

i get fucked for ANYTHING here and at smashboards, so...

that means i'll love it :)

*insert derogatory remark here*

PS. You won't like Durarara!!. It's cool, and you're not.

Will I like Durarara!!?

Duh.

OH SHIT, WAIT, THAT WAS YOU FISHING FOR COMPLIMENTS WASN'T IT. UH, UH, HEY GUYS, HELP ME OUT HERE! WHAT DO I DO?

Edited by Dark Elves Suck

Nah, I got that, but I mean, then the WHOLE FINAL MOVIE is built upon this relationship that was supposed to have been huge and torturous to both sides that practically didn't exist until the final movie made it so. I mean, yeah, Shinji's attraction to her is obvious, but throughout the anime proper it's seems to be one of those "Yeah, she's hot" teenage things without merit, and suddenly in the movie they tried it, had a huge ass falling out, and all sorts of other shit that was, for these two Emo twerps, somehow completely subtle in their regular lives.

And do recall that these two can't have ANYTHING happen without it being a big deal to them.

That was the basic point. They were too afraid to show their feelings, and it just didn't work out properly in the movie. It was repressed sexual tension. That shit builds like heavy water pressure. After awhile, the dam bursts.

That was the basic point. They were too afraid to show their feelings, and it just didn't work out properly in the movie. It was repressed sexual tension. That shit builds like heavy water pressure. After awhile, the dam bursts.

No, but see, that's my point for why the final movie was so bad in comparison. That is entirely correct, that sexual tension would be hugely frustrating and cause a lot of friction between them. So why DIDN'T we see it until the movie practically threw it in our faces. "Oh yeah, you know that rather blase relationship Asuka and Sinji have that only resulted in one fake kiss that we ever showed you? Well, there was actually confessions and shit going on! So they're emo about it now!"

I mean, in the series, yeah, there was friction between Asuka and Shinji, but it was no more then Asuka and everyone else. We only saw more of it because she was around him more.

Edited by Furby

No, but see, that's my point for why the final movie was so bad in comparison. That is entirely correct, that sexual tension would be hugely frustrating and cause a lot of friction between them. So why DIDN'T we see it until the movie practically threw it in our faces. "Oh yeah, you know that rather blase relationship Asuka and Sinji have that only resulted in one fake kiss that we ever showed you? Well, there was actually confessions and shit going on! So they're emo about it now!"

I mean, in the series, yeah, there was friction between Asuka and Shinji, but it was no more then Asuka and everyone else. We only saw more of it because she was around him more.

The movie was supposed to be questionable. But to say there was nothing between Shinji and Asuka the whole show is almost as ridiculous as suggesting the movie forced the relationship on to you. Shinji is incapable of showing his true feelings but falls into 'lame shy teenage boy mode' any time Asuka tries to be overtly sexual. And Asuka believes that she can do better. Not surprising, seeing as how that's her entire personality. But the movie implies nothing beyond Shinji liking Asuka. And it's left too open for much else, even the idea that they're the only two left(because the ending leaves you with shades of a previous episode).

But to say there was nothing between Shinji and Asuka the whole show is almost as ridiculous as suggesting the movie forced the relationship on to you.

I'm not saying there's nothing. But there's NOT as much as the movie acts like there was, on either side. It wasn't the all consuming thing the movie acted like it was in the anime.

I'm not saying there's nothing. But there's NOT as much as the movie acts like there was, on either side. It wasn't the all consuming thing the movie acted like it was in the anime.

At the same time, he wanted to make a sequel series to expand upon what he created(And that's what the 4th RoE movie is being dedicated to) while the fans simply couldn't get beyond the ending. So he gave the fans what they wanted in twisted fashion.

There's still hardly anything there, and he could have actually still gone further with it.

As for 'Gundam' and the 'Mecha Genre', it's fairly all encompassing, to the point where Code Gease even qualfies despite the mech's taking a back seat more than half the time. It's a pretty large genre that doesn't require any sort of characters or plots to qualify. If anything, Mecha probably has sub-genres.

At the same time, he wanted to make a sequel series to expand upon what he created(And that's what the 4th RoE movie is being dedicated to) while the fans simply couldn't get beyond the ending. So he gave the fans what they wanted in twisted fashion.

Well, to be fair, the main reason we couldn't get beyond it was because it seemed to hobbled together. A lot of it just leaves you with a "wait... what?" feeling, especially the VERY last scene. "Hey, you and me are the only ones left! IMMA CHOKE A BITCH!"

But I love the rebuild. It doesn't feel like he's just making it up as he goes along, and that the ending will at least make sense.

Well, to be fair, the main reason we couldn't get beyond it was because it seemed to hobbled together. A lot of it just leaves you with a "wait... what?" feeling, especially the VERY last scene. "Hey, you and me are the only ones left! IMMA CHOKE A BITCH!"

But I love the rebuild. It doesn't feel like he's just making it up as he goes along, and that the ending will at least make sense.

He choked Asuka because she was the first person he'd seen in quite some time, long enough for him to become even more disturbed than he was before. And there was rust on Misato's cross. So he'd been there for at least awhile before this occurred.

I found the final scene to be the most powerful in the series. It was beautiful.

He choked Asuka because she was the first person he'd seen in quite some time, long enough for him to become even more disturbed than he was before. And there was rust on Misato's cross. So he'd been there for at least awhile before this occurred.

I found the final scene to be the most powerful in the series. It was beautiful.

Hum... Oddly, I found it hard to be drawn into it emotionally. The only time I felt real emotion towards it was when Kaji was killed. Asuka's revelations during the angel attack that sent her into a coma also got to me (Though, I was laughing too much due to his music choice). Most of the time, especially during the movie, anything that was supposed to be powerful left me with a sense of mild disgust and intense confusion, though.

Also, speaking of the music music, WHY do the japanese find some reason to fit solo childrens singing with End of the World esq scenes? I'm thinking mostly of 2.0, where they decided that it would be fitting to have that during the ... 2nd impact, wasn't it? I have trouble keeping track of them.