Fire Emblem 12 Translation Project

Crimson Red

@Vincent that is what the pro translators will be for :O ultimately there's no way to tell what the creators might have been thinking the English equivalents would be (if anything) so we can only do what we think is a plausible name. at least, that's how I see it.

As for the font info, thanks, maybe it'll come in handy...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Katarina myself .-.

Can I veto this on account of WHY? Barts is arghljgfijgl.

リディア

Because something like that doesn't arbitrarily translate to something like Arbalest. It says quite plainly something along the lines of Lydia (sans interpretive/historical spelling). I ask if this is going to be a translation project, because if it's actual translation, there won't be character names like Castor, which are impossible to get from the name Kashim. Those belong under the areas of localization. And its localization whose objective is to prettify text, moreso than aptly translate it.

Because arbitrarily choosing what words should become for no real reason at all will screw up the plot script. Fast.

Celice, do you even understand that not everyone (including me) wants to learn Japanese (or whatever it is, I don't care), or play a game in Japanese when, if they wait a bit, they can play it in English?

I don't care how easy it may be, I just want to play it in english, and so do like 90% of the non-Japanese people.

Your way of thinking is rarely the way other people think, and if you like something or find it easy doesn't necessarily mean someone else likes it and finds it easy, so stop saying people should get into things they don't want to get into.

Offering an alternative is always helpful, whether or not others choose to acknowledge it--and publicly acknowledge it, at that (a large number of users, both registered and guests, view threads without contributing)--while those who post in the thread may not find it useful information, others may. Though to be clear, you are the only one who has said "people should get into things they don't want to get into." Thankfully, I'm not responsible for the way you interpret my words.

• 1 month later...

リディア

Because something like that doesn't arbitrarily translate to something like Arbalest. It says quite plainly something along the lines of Lydia (sans interpretive/historical spelling). I ask if this is going to be a translation project, because if it's actual translation, there won't be character names like Castor, which are impossible to get from the name Kashim. Those belong under the areas of localization. And its localization whose objective is to prettify text, moreso than aptly translate it.

Because arbitrarily choosing what words should become for no real reason at all will screw up the plot script. Fast.

As far as I know, this is going to be a 'translation project' in that sense. Unless someone else says something against it, I'll simply be doing a faithful translation of the Japanese text.

I can't say I can understand fans who don't feel like at least understanding some of the Japanese used in the game (I feel like you can get a much better feel of characters and their personalities through their manner of speech in the original text, for example). Plus look at translations for series like The Legend of Zelda, where they can't decide if "Yami no Shinden" (闇の神殿) means "Palace of Darkness" (ALTTP) or "Shadow Temple" (OOT), and the reference(s) are completely lost in translation. As a fan, don't you feel like you're missing something important by ignoring the Japanese?

That being said, I AM doing the translating, aren't I? >.>" If I wish more people would learn a little Japanese, why am I translating this again? -.-"

^ If it wasn't obvious yet after saying it 3 times, I'll be doing the actual translating of text for this project. よろしく~

Edited by sn0w75

I ask if this is going to be a translation project, because if it's actual translation, there won't be character names like Castor, which are impossible to get from the name Kashim.

This is stupid. A game has already been released starring over 50% of FE3 DS's existing playable cast. There's no reason to use fan transliterations of names that already have official English versions. It'll succeed at nothing but confusing players as to why their beloved Sedgar or Michalis were spontaneously renamed to Zagaro or Mishiel.

Here's a good reason to not screw around with the official names: they're the ones used on the site. No need to be a pretentious purist.

As a fan, don't you feel like you're missing something important by ignoring the Japanese?

If it's not katakana of loanwords, it's not something that one can easily learn to understand. I personally don't care much for plot in games, but even after 2 years of formal Japanese study, figuring out meaning of the game script is a tedious task that I can't be bothered to do consistently. I know Chinese as well and can discern the meaning of a lot of kanji compounds on sight, but to imply that it's the fault of the player for not willing to commit the effort to even get a good grasp of the game script is asking for too much.

By the way, is there a dump of the game script somewhere?

Edited by dondon151

Now that Operation Rainfall didn't work, we need this patch more than ever. Thanks you guys for doing this. I need my FE fix.

Also, I side with those who want the official English names. I and many others have only played English FE11, and a sudden switch in names is only going to confuse us. Please, use the official names for our sakes :'(

Now that Operation Rainfall didn't work, we need this patch more than ever. Thanks you guys for doing this. I need my FE fix.

Also, I side with those who want the official English names. I and many others have only played English FE11, and a sudden switch in names is only going to confuse us. Please, use the official names for our sakes :'(

It's basically up to the translators. In this case, I'd go with the official names considering FE11 has already been localized. Keep any name changes from there, and if there are any that haven't been localized, just go for what you guys decide. Translation is an art. IIRC, Nintenlord or Xeld said that we would have abandoned translation to machines long ago if it didn't "break rules" so much from the meaning behind languages that get lost in translation.

Though if you want story, you can basically get the FE3 script and play along with FE12

^Couldn't disagree more with the FE3 script thing, even if it's scratched out... It's not the same, or even close, to me.

Anyway, we're most likely going to stay consistent with the FE11 localization. I'm guessing someone will call us out for not using true translations but we're making this professional and part of that is doing what's best... and we think staying consistent and official and not confusing fans is the best thing to do. In any case, we can't please everyone, so :\

Though if you want story, you can basically get the FE3 script and play along with FE12

if you want story

It's not the same, or even close, to me.

> Remake

> Not even close to the original

:/

Differences:

* Prologue

* My Unit conversations

* Some Dialogue tweaks (Because of new characters?)

* Chapter numbers (FE3 includes FE1 chapters)

The story is DEFINITELY different, RIGHT?

Edited by shadowofkitty

You're missing the point. To most people, myself included, reading the story on a side is a totally different experience than playing the game with the story embedded in it. Personally it's like reading a book while watching a slideshow and clicking buttons.

Not to mention there are all those differences you mentioned that most people are interested in as well.

That's all I have to say on the subject though. You can do whatever you want, of course.

Oh, hey! Long time no see! How's it going?

You wouldn't know anything about hacking the DS graphics, would you? I recall you did some cheat code hacking and thought it might be worth a try to ask if you knew something about ROM hacking... XD

Some of you (Arch, Blazer) used to post your projects over at GBAtemp now and then. Dunno about any other ones--but since that's a hub of general romhackery, starting a thread about this project there might not be such a bad idea :newyears: Especially if you end up needing some clarification or help in editing some stuffs. I seem to recall the guys who worked on FE11 disbanded though... they went on to form the group that translated most of that SaGa 2 remake on the DS, and have a lot of technical prowess behind them. If a few of the members were still floating around, they'd probably be willing to lend a hand when and where capable.

Which actually shouldn't be too farfetched, considering you got the basic script of the game already translated for you, if you were gonna use the work done previously for FE3 (Of course, after getting blessings from the translator).

And the place is always full of fan-translation groups and their projects here and there, and they usually seem to help each other out where possible. It's a niche hub, but a nice one.

Edited by Celice

Well, I appreciate the thought. ATM we're keeping a relatively low profile until we have more to show, with the blog being the main place of... 'action'. I do think that contacting some other translators might be a good idea because people tend to keep knowledge to themselves if not asked to give it (they figure "who'd want to know?", which is understandable) so we may find people with knowledge on graphic editing that could prove useful to us. So thanks on that.

As for using FE3's script, we're not going to (at least we don't plan to) since we don't know how much it's changed and we'd like to do a proper translation as opposed to a "stealy" one. It might sound silly and like more work but I feel it's part of making a good translation... I don't expect anyone to understand though, so whatever. XP

EDIT: With that said I am going to ignore any other discussion about this specific topic (but everyone's free to say what they want), leave it to the team to decide what they'll do/MYOB please in terms of making decisions... thank you and have a great day.

Edited by Luffy

As for using FE3's script, we're not going to (at least we don't plan to) since we don't know how much it's changed and we'd like to do a proper translation as opposed to a "stealy" one. It might sound silly and like more work but I feel it's part of making a good translation... I don't expect anyone to understand though, so whatever. XP

Just compare the Japanese FE3 script with the FE3 DS one. Not that hard. There's nothing wrong with stealing something that's accurate.

I don't know much about creating and modding graphics on ds games. I do know where the graphics in FE12 are stored (Since you told me yourself on FEshrine about a year back)

The most I've been able to do is insert map animations though. I think you can open graphics in crystaltile2 to modify graphics. If you don't know how, take a look at some pokemon logo hack guides. Its the same concept. I haven't done any romhacking since 2010. =/

• 2 weeks later...

It's great to see the project coming along without any problems so far.

Do you think it'd be possible to create a checklist on your blog with all the things you need to do, and the percentages of those things completed? like

Task 1 - 100% complete

Task 2 - 25% complete

Task 3 - 0% complete

or something? And you can update it whenever you have a new post? I remember the Mother 3 project did that and it was fun to follow along, and we could understand all the stuff they had to do.

I plan to eventually but right now the list of what's done and isn't done is a bit... bleh. We're waiting to get more progress since a lot of text is on the verge of completion and once we get that done making said list will be as simple as typing "Menus - Complete" as opposed to specifying which parts of the menus are and aren't complete, which I consider a tedious process. Call me lazy if you like

But I thank you for the reminder, we must definitely do that ASAP. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...