Fire Emblem 12 Translation Project

Crimson Red

I've decided to start a very small and quick translation project for Fire Emblem 12, the latest Fire Emblem installment on the DS. If you don't know much about FE12, research it. XP

First of all, this will only be a very basic translation--names and maybe some menus and crap. Reasons why are 1) I don't have tons of time to spare 2) I'm not a very good hacker 3) I don't have a translator which is why I can't translate menus yet 4) the game will be released in the U.S. anyway so there's not much reason to care for major translation.

With that being said I've started a blog on it and will update it as I get more stuff done. I expect a patch within 3 days and idk what'll happen after that but I don't plan on spending more than a week hacking FE12.

Please don't bash on how making such a small translation is pointless, if anyone wants to play it then they can, if you think it's pointless then just don't play it. Thanks for the understanding...

UPDATE: Translation Patch V1.0 is out. Please comment and enjoy. FYI I got it released on the same day the actual game was released. ^_^

http://fe12ds.blogspot.com/

Screenshots

Videos

Downloads

Edited by Luffy

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea, personally. I'll of course buy the game when it comes out, but I would enjoy playing it until then, and I'd be absolutely hopeless at attempting to when I can't understand the menus and the like. Translating the items would be even more helpful, though.

If by "unit stats" you mean which stat is which, that's done.

Also, menus are kind of a problem, because I don't have a translator with me to either A) dictate which text in the text dumps is the menu text and B) tell me what to replace it with. Mainly the first thing because I could always guess at what some Japanese says. :\

EDIT: Ouch, hardly any replies.

Well, the patch is out. Enjoy.

Edited by Luffy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Knowing Hiragana and Katakana, this patch is pretty useless to me.

But having that said, you're awesome for releasing it for those that can't read the Japanese alphabet (and anything else on the character stat sheets).

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm tired of waiting for something that feels like it'll never come (although admittedly I am just negative when it comes to localization of games).

But I'd like to know other people's input too. If I get a push of a couple hundred people I might start the project early instead of exactly 1 year after the Japan release date. :\

Oh, and sorry for the bump, but it's relevant, and I think it'd be stupid to make a new topic, although maybe that's just me...

Edited by Luffy

"But I'll wait until exactly one year after the game was released in Japan. If, by then, July 15th, 2011, the game is not even announced for a U.S. release, I will look into starting a translation."

I'll support a fan translation if this is the case. It's probably better to wait until that point and start a translation than to start early only to find out that an english release is announced a month later.

Edited by BerserkerBarst

I'll support a fan translation if this is the case. It's probably better to wait until that point and start a translation than to start early only to find out that an english release is announced a month later.

Yeah, that's the plan, the only real motive for starting early is that I'd have more time.

It's too bad about the story, but a menu&name patch is all you really need to play and enjoy a game. If you are going to go for a full translation though, I recommend asking around for help at places like romhacking.net

I'd wait until the aforementioned time and also send an e-mail to the relevant people as well.

While I'd definitely prefer an official translation, I should be able to help out a potential fan translation in some form. I take it you can handle the hacking and I don't really want to touch it either, although if you need help displaying lower-case English characters you should give me a shout.

I would be interested in supervising the script editing and possibly working on the translation if nobody else is up for it. For some reason, I can see there might be several people interested in translating this game, although sadly there were very few interested in the original FE3 (which is why I took up that game).

Edited by VincentASM

While I'd definitely prefer an official translation, I should be able to help out a potential fan translation in some form. I take it you can handle the hacking and I don't really want to touch it either, although if you need help displaying lower-case English characters you should give me a shout.

I think we all feel the same (about an official translation). Yeah I'm good with the hacking, I just need a translator (although I recall a few offers before, when I first started--maybe I should have payed more attention... bleh), and as for lower-case English characters, if you know something I don't and it's not too trouble, perhaps you could just tell me and save me the work of having to figure it out myself? But if not, it's cool, I haven't actually done anything so I haven't gotten stuck yet so I can always just wait to get help until I actually need it. XP

Also, 36 people want it now, 2 people want it later. Haha, it is really tempting and hard to keep in mind that the people's reasoning for wanting it now is that they just want to play the game and don't care much about the consequences of starting it or the possibilities of failure in doing so. But I'm pretty much busy until mid-July anyway so even if I wanted to, I don't think I could...

Oh and thanks for the input to the people who gave it.

I think we all feel the same (about an official translation). Yeah I'm good with the hacking, I just need a translator (although I recall a few offers before, when I first started--maybe I should have payed more attention... bleh), and as for lower-case English characters, if you know something I don't and it's not too trouble, perhaps you could just tell me and save me the work of having to figure it out myself? But if not, it's cool, I haven't actually done anything so I haven't gotten stuck yet so I can always just wait to get help until I actually need it. XP

Yeah, I recommend at least trying it out so you know what I mean. It should be very obvious what the problem is when you begin.

My workaround is a little bit messy, so maybe you can think of a better way of doing it. If not, I can tell you what I did.

Also, 36 people want it now, 2 people want it later. Haha, it is really tempting and hard to keep in mind that the people's reasoning for wanting it now is that they just want to play the game and don't care much about the consequences of starting it or the possibilities of failure in doing so. But I'm pretty much busy until mid-July anyway so even if I wanted to, I don't think I could...

Whoa, that is a lot of people. I think I agree with you on their possible reasons though.

Haha, I can complicately understand their frustration. Still, people have been waiting for almost a year already, 2-3 more months isn't going to hurt surely?

By the way, I think it would be pretty interesting if we could gather up an all-star team for the project. Maybe see if Arch has any time on his hands to do, say, script editing, bug Twilkitri for technical assistance and pester TheEnd for his translation abilities.

Edited by VincentASM

Arch said he'd help (and I didn't ask him either) if he could, but he's not TOO familiar with FEDS hacking. Well, actually, he's probably more experienced than 90% of the population here, so yeah. Plus Arch's a quick learner, he could probably learn how to text hack in a few minutes. XD

As for Twilkitri, yeah, if we encounter more font problems or whatever else, that'd be nice. Maybe some documentation on those menu graphics that I don't know how to edit, as well.

And we need someone to make new English menu graphics as well. I wouldn't want everything subbed due to time restraints and the fact that I don't like to be too ambitious, but some graphical text just has to be translated, or else it'd stand out like a sore thumb, and give a bad impression.

I think I know why you scratched out TheEnd for translation help, but who knows, maybe he could. I'd personally like to have 2+ translators. More than 3 makes too many translation inconsistencies, I'd think, but just 1 would mean a lot of pressure on that 1 translator, to do everything, and timely (since with all the text, translating will probably be just as, if not more time consuming than the hacking O_o).