H3 (Lunatic) Tier List

For example, it's a good idea if I'm wondering which of Katarina vs Etzel is better for a playthrough, and the tier list would reflect it somehow. I do think that with the set definition of efficiency as 'turncount per chapter', discussion of Julian vs Feena or Feena vs Xane is possible.

Even if this might make things messy, I agree with this in principle. We can draw the line for UU inclusion at staff users who begin the main campaign with a D-rank or higher, which weeds out reclassed junk units. This will probably boil comparisons down to join time, starting staff level, and access to any unique staves, but tiering the staff users more precisely seems possible.

On the flip side, I'm not sure how feasible it would be, or what good it would do, to compare units like thieves and MU with staff users. But I don't see why staff users, who have pretty strictly-defined roles, couldn't be arranged in terms of usefulness within UU.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you dont recruit julian you cannot recruit rickard which means Marth has to go to every important treasure chest since you dont get chest keys(lolBS FE) or master keys(LolChp20).

You can just rescue Marth over to the goal though...so Julian ends up not saving any turns even if he allows marth to not have to get chests.

Edited by BASEDRyan

I proposed the idea of skipping Julian earlier; it wasn't met with much enthusiasm for rather clear reasons. It's not something I've tested myself yet. I also tried to further develop the idea by suggesting to give Boots to a Bishop (=anybody promoted who can reclass and doesn't do a whole lot else), since then you'd cut the turns in chapters where Marth opens chests (at the expense of all other chapters however), and you'd also save a lot of money on arena training Marth for the final battle since he'd run around freely and fight before being rescued and naturally gain levels.

it actually saves turns to skip julian and rickard but according to the tierlist rules they're to be recruited anyway

All characters are to be recruited for tiering purposes, with the exception of those on the “Joins After Ellerean” list and possibly those in Bottom Tier.

You're most probably skipping some chests anyway (when low-turning it's inevitable), and not having a thief (any of the two) just means you're barely opening any at all (besides ones unlocked with Thief staff, Marth's Fire Emblem or CH20 Master Key). Do the contents of the chests save you the turns spent recruiting Julian? Most probably not.

I found the guidelines ambiguous. Is the tier list for a playthrough that aims for the lowest turns while recruiting every character, or is every character assumed to be recruited when judged for their worth? The latter would make sense because following the lowest turns guidelines you would simply have a "not recruited" tier, thus preventing any evaluation of characters like Julian, Rickard and others, that do cost some turns that they never end up saving.

You're most probably skipping some chests anyway (when low-turning it's inevitable), and not having a thief (any of the two) just means you're barely opening any at all (besides ones unlocked with Thief staff, Marth's Fire Emblem or CH20 Master Key). Do the contents of the chests save you the turns spent recruiting Julian? Most probably not.

I found the guidelines ambiguous. Is the tier list for a playthrough that aims for the lowest turns while recruiting every character, or is every character assumed to be recruited when judged for their worth? The latter would make sense because following the lowest turns guidelines you would simply have a "not recruited" tier, thus preventing any evaluation of characters like Julian, Rickard and others, that do cost some turns that they never end up saving.

I guess we kill Lena in Endgame, too? Ahem. . .

Necessary chests are in Chapter 6 and 9 (two star shards, one of which can be picked up via Thief, or waiting for a thief to nab it). Really useful chests are in Chapter 9 (Boots), 14 (Again), 16 (Rescue, and MAYBE Shaver; I skip the latter), and 20 (Again), with some gold/stat chests in-between. Stuff that's nice to get is in Chapter 6 (Barrier), 10 (everything), 14 (that nifty sword that gives Swordmasters the finger), 12 (if you missed the secret shop in the previous chapter), 16 (a lot of stuff), and 20 (Brave weapons, which laugh at Glower units). Marth can grab the 13x chest if we're hell-bent on that item, since it's a rout map. I'm not sure how important you guys think those items are, but I am personally fond of the Chapter 6 Barrier (eternally useful), Chapter 10 Bullion and Chapter 20 Brave weapons.

Yeah, because of Lena, we can't not recruit Julian. It's basically required to set up a chain to recruit all four bishops, since we don't have the manpower to kill one of them instead, and we need the last one to Rescue in Marth, the only person that can kill Medeus. Since we can't bring multiple people in since it's already bad enough getting one person over there, recruiting Julian is 100% obligatory.

Yeah, because of Lena, we can't not recruit Julian. It's basically required to set up a chain to recruit all four bishops, since we don't have the manpower to kill one of them instead, and we need the last one to Rescue in Marth, the only person that can kill Medeus. Since we can't bring multiple people in since it's already bad enough getting one person over there, recruiting Julian is 100% obligatory.

If there's something Ive learned from drafts, it's that talking with Sirius to Nyna, trade her the rescue and killing Lena in the same move is an option...while it would probably be more painful without Julian, I'm pretty sure Endgame is still possible in H3 even by having to kill Lena. I can't test it in my current Lunatic run since it aims to recruit everyone though...

EDIT: Actually, I could. Ill just do endgame twice when I get there. One with Julian recruitment and one without deploying him

Edited by BASEDRyan

I remember that move in Drafts send sirius and kill Lena, Nyna uses rescue on either minerva or merric they recruit their maiden and then kill the other one... it shouldnt be that difficult in that sense... then we proceed to kill medeus.

I'll save you the trouble with the power of Math.

So, Medius has 99 HP and 42 Def (due to throne). Marth has max 27 Str, Falchion has 36 effective might, so with A ran Swords this totals to 66 mt, so he effectively deals 24 damage a blow. He needs to land 5 blows, or a crit with 2 others. There is more to it than that, however. First off he needs to be healed at least twice and Again'd 3 times. Sirius and Minerva can reach their priestesses well enough, but one has to rescue Maric for Elice. Without Lena, you would need 3 B staff users of your own for Again use. So in theory you could, if you can get Katarina or Frost or Etzel or Wendell to B rank, though just recruiting Lena saves you the trouble. This is also assuming a max Str Marth.

I would like to retort with the following, however.

-I'm pretty sure Marth lagging his ass back to get the Boots would actually keep you from getting Etzel, who makes his use known in short turning chapter 11 as Wendell cannot Rescue Marth and then kill the boss on enemy phase (he either gets one shotted, or doesn't have the inventory for the Magic he needs to one shot the dragon back).

-What's the honest harm anyways? It's not like there's an entire pack of paladins guarding the house you recruit him at. You just walk up, boop, go back down and take the throne. Would you pass up free treasure just cause your watch told you not to?

I'll save you the trouble with the power of Math.

So, Medius has 99 HP and 42 Def (due to throne). Marth has max 27 Str, Falchion has 36 effective might, so with A ran Swords this totals to 66 mt, so he effectively deals 24 damage a blow. He needs to land 5 blows, or a crit with 2 others. There is more to it than that, however. First off he needs to be healed at least twice and Again'd 3 times. Sirius and Minerva can reach their priestesses well enough, but one has to rescue Maric for Elice. Without Lena, you would need 3 B staff users of your own for Again use. So in theory you could, if you can get Katarina or Frost or Etzel or Wendell to B rank, though just recruiting Lena saves you the trouble. This is also assuming a max Str Marth.

I would like to retort with the following, however.

-I'm pretty sure Marth lagging his ass back to get the Boots would actually keep you from getting Etzel, who makes his use known in short turning chapter 11 as Wendell cannot Rescue Marth and then kill the boss on enemy phase (he either gets one shotted, or doesn't have the inventory for the Magic he needs to one shot the dragon back).

-What's the honest harm anyways? It's not like there's an entire pack of paladins guarding the house you recruit him at. You just walk up, boop, go back down and take the throne. Would you pass up free treasure just cause your watch told you not to?

1. 3 Again uses in endgame is a funny one. Ive never seen anyone have 3 Again uses stilll in endgame...

2. You dont need Marth to get the boots. You can get it turn 1 by having a flier kill the Thief staff Thief, sending it to the convoy and having a healer Thief the Boots. Then Marth can retrieve it and go to town. You dont miss out on Etzel at all.

3. It costs a few turns to get Julian. Normally, I'd say around 8 turns to get Julian, but in Lunatic you can't really 6 turn the map realistically.

1. 3 Again uses in endgame is a funny one. Ive never seen anyone have 3 Again uses stilll in endgame...

So we're rigging two crits? Not really sure how this changes anything, considering I just noted your point is possible...

2. You dont need Marth to get the boots. You can get it turn 1 by having a flier kill the Thief staff Thief, sending it to the convoy and having a healer Thief the Boots. Then Marth can retrieve it and go to town. You dont miss out on Etzel at all.

Never thought of that actually...

3. It costs a few turns to get Julian. Normally, I'd say around 8 turns to get Julian, but in Lunatic you can't really 6 turn the map realistically.

While I'd say you could do it realistically, I still don't see the point of just ending it turn 6. There is literally nothing at risk going to get Julian. Yes, turncounts is a thing, but why let free things pass you by? It's a bit arbitrary to just look at something that makes things simpler while risking nothing to achieve it, then saying no to it. I could see skipping treasure like in chapter 16 where by the time we hit the throne we probably just would have finished killing Astram's squad and we still have to bail due to reinforcements, but with chapter 3? Pretty much everything that could possibly be dangerous is no longer on the map. You could just go fetch Julian. Save uses on Thief for chapter 20, can just go fetch the Bullion in chapter 6, etc etc.

So we're rigging two crits? Not really sure how this changes anything, considering I just noted your point is possible...

Never thought of that actually...

While I'd say you could do it realistically, I still don't see the point of just ending it turn 6. There is literally nothing at risk going to get Julian. Yes, turncounts is a thing, but why let free things pass you by? It's a bit arbitrary to just look at something that makes things simpler while risking nothing to achieve it, then saying no to it. I could see skipping treasure like in chapter 16 where by the time we hit the throne we probably just would have finished killing Astram's squad and we still have to bail due to reinforcements, but with chapter 3? Pretty much everything that could possibly be dangerous is no longer on the map. You could just go fetch Julian. Save uses on Thief for chapter 20, can just go fetch the Bullion in chapter 6, etc etc.

It is true that getting Julian makes the game overall easier indeed though. You have a point. I mean, saving Thief uses for you to get Bullions/Speedwing with them instead is pretty neat.

I don't even think skipping Julian/Rickard actually saves that many turns because having Marth get the chests usually takes longer than having Julian do it. Plus IIRC, it's much less reliable to survive the bridge and end the chapter skipping Julian than just taking the long way and recruiting Julian (and Bord too I guess but who gives a shit about Bord). Julian/Rickard also save you thief staff uses for more important shit like Bullions/Speedwing/Braves, so they just generally make things easier when you have them around.

Also penalizing Julina/Rickard for the recruitment cost is asinine. We've never penalized units in other lists for their recruitment costs (such as Stefan), so we shouldn't do it here. Removing them from the list is an even worse idea because to correctly tier a character, you need to assume they're being used.

Plus IIRC, it's much less reliable to survive the bridge and end the chapter skipping Julian than just taking the long way-.

Minor nitpick. You realize General Arran makes the bridge a joke, right? I mean, you can still just go get Julian anyways so not to dissuade the point, just saying that people need to stop acting like the bridge is hard or unreliable.

why are we debating whether we are recruiting everyone again

Because apparently things go faster when people like Julian aren't recruited? Note that I don't agree with this stance, because that drops certain people off the list, and that's not the point of a tier list.

Well, there's probably a good reason for that. Suppose I can continue my numbers analysis for lower mid that I've been doing so far.

Cain I know for a fact can get a level in Prologue 8, so if used he will show up level 10. 28 HP and most likely will have an extra point of speed and luck. Considering though that his starting chapter is over in 3 turns, promoting him off the bat doesn't really bring us anything so might as well feed him. A Paladin kill gets him 50, and the Snipers a bit more, so getting 2 kills in 3 turns nets him another easy level. So, entering into chapter 9 he is realistically 11. Stats as a Cavalier, just as reference for class switching since being a cav in chapter 9 is stupid.

28.8 HP, 11.8 Str, 10.4 Skl, 11.4 Spd, 5.4 Lck, 11.7 Def

Pretty solid, though his Luck is terrible. Even basic Mage enemies run crit on him. That's annoying.

...Actually, let's just switch him to Myrm.

26.8 HP, 9.8 Str, 17.4 Skl, 16.4 Spd, 5.4 Lck, 8.7 Def

If this looks familiar, it's because it should be.

Navarre: 23 HP, 9 Str, 16 Skl, 16 Spd, 7 Lck, 8 Def

That's base Navarre, and Cain needed a level lead just to tie for the most part. Without those 2 levels, he'd simply be losing to base Navarre. Navarre with his extra chapter as well along with a possible arena level can realistically hit level 10 for chapter 9 as well, so to get them both up to date.

24.8 HP, 9.9 Str, 17 Skl, 17.4 Spd, 8 Lck, 8.4 Def

They have their tradeoffs. Navarre never has a Luck issue, and in the end will have more Strength than Cain. Cain as a myrm has a 90% speed growth however, so Navarre's speed lead will disappear rather quickly. Cain also has the HP to survive mages in chapter 9, but he doesn't have the speed to double naturally on his own without RP. Likewise though, Navarre could also use that Rainbow Potion use a a Mercenary which also allows him to survive the mages while retaining offense. Two dracos is a level, as is 3-4 mages depending on leftover exp from previous chapters. I'd probably wait till chapter 11 to promote, to which there might be 2 levels based on what little they can get out of chapter 9 and 10. Let's assume an arena level again, and assume the two levels, 2 as a myrm for Cain adn 2 as a merc for Navarre.

13 Myrm!Cain: 28.6 HP, 10.5 Str, 17.7 Skl, 18.2 Spd, 6.8 Lck, 9.2 Def

12 Myrm! Navarre: 28.8 HP, 11.05 Str, 19.9 Skl, 18.7 Spd, 9.8 Lck, 8.9 Def

So pretty much, the difference is 2 Skl and 3 Lck in Navarre's favor as opposed to Cain's Lance rank. Growth wise, Navarre wins Str by 10% and Skill by 5%, and Cain wins Speed by lol20% and Def by 5%. So Navarre's Str lead will continue to grow larger while Cain's speed will soon outstrip Navarre's in a mere 5 levels. They either need to promote early, or use Rainbow uses in chapter 11, as neither of them are going to be helpful there promotion or no. At least unpromoted they can get more exp out of the chapter.

If one can manage to get two levels on them between 11 and 12 (Easier said than done I'd imagine), then they'd be super solid from that point onward. As Swordmasters, they'd double Fire Dragons naturally with B rank to back them up. Notable however is that with that Str lead, Navarre can ORKO Fire Dragons naturally with a basic Wyrmslayer, not needing any shards at all while Cain would need a +1. Navarre would only need a +1 Shard for bandits, Cain needing a +2. Optionally, both have the option of going Hero with just the Scorpio and it would solve both issues, along with letting them survive 2 Tomohawk hits, and with perhaps Cancer+Taurus (Cain might need Taurus still), could even take a Tomohawk+breath. However, there is that issue of the fact they have no range to answer back these enemies with, so that still kinda sucks.

If they get +1 Speed from a level which most likely isn't hard, they can double Ice Dragons as Heroes. Navarre is about 5 damage off from ORKOing, Cain being 6. Both would need RP still, Navarre would only need 2 of the 3 Str shards, or optionally a +2 forge would work for both of them. They now have Hand Axes for all these annoying ass enemies, though against Ice Dragons the damage is ignorable. I mean, Navarre with +1 or Cain with +2 could use it to intercept enemy phase and then proceed to kill player phase without a forge, but they'd still need a heal to do that.

Ehh..They strike me as ok, but not great. Like they mostly have problems against ranged units as they kinda suck against them, but they don't require much in the way of resources to kill really annoying things like Fire Dragons. One notable strength they have is that they aren't dependent on the Rainbow Potion or stat boosters to function (during the valley anyways). They just need to get the levels. I'd imagine they'd appreciate an Energy Drop though.

I'd imagine they'd either be top of Lower Mid or like the very bottom of mid. The big deal breaker is that chapter 11, as neither of them would give anything other than feeders/killers of really basic units like bandits, and they need the exp from flying dragons to be effective from that point onward, to which the both of them are terrible against. I'd probably lean more towards them staying in lower mid, but at the top of it, with Ogma climbing to Mid, and Barst maybe either above or below Cain.

Suppose I'll edit post for Roger in a sec. Don't want this post to go on TOO long.

EDIT: OK, Roger.

His issue is...Well, his issue is that he doesn't really fit well in anything. Like, he's statistically similar in base stats to base Catria. Catria has a great start (Greater than I used to assume), but this is 5 chapters later. His Str base is not great despite his awesome Speed base. His growths are fantastic, but he can't really put them to use if he's not proving effective as anything.

Like...Let's assume after chapter 8, in the arena he gains a level with...I'mma go with Pirate. Would look a bit like this.

Level 9 Pirate!Roger: 26.9 HP, 11.75 Str, 5.45 Skl, 15.7 Spd, 5.7 Lck, 7.25 Def

Total is 375%, so he's most likely to get HP, Str, and a good chance at both Speed and Luck. Speed's not necessarily a dealbreaker since with RP he can still double 13 AS mages and tank a Draco hit without being slaughtered, but t helps. The HP allows him to at least survive a mage hit without RP (sad as that is that he barely can't). The speed could also allow him to double Bishops, to which he could ORKO with Iron.

He might appreciate a Weapon's Scroll for Hand Axes since with RP he can ORKO mages on counter/at range, and gives him Steel to deal a bit more sizeable damage to Dracos if the need arises for him to do something about it.

He's kinda by the skin of his teeth really, cause I dunno how willing people would be to give a weapon scroll to a guy just to deal with mages. He doesn't need them to be able to kill them, but obviously you got better (also, Roger's acc is atrocious). The other issue is the whole 6 move thing. Though, at least chapter 9 isn't a chapter where your units have to rush. Just need to clear up the throne for when Marth recruits Etzel. You have like 5 fliers who laugh at this map, so that shouldn't be hard to do. Chapter 10, he can ORKO a Bishop to clear the way to the throne, so he can actually contribute if he so chooses.

Assume 2 levels between 9 and 11? I dunno

28.7 HP, 13.25 Str, 6.35 Skl, 17.1 Spd, 7.1 Lck, 7.75 Def

Well we kinda have to promote hm. No unpromoted lance class works at all in the desert, and 6 move in it isn't helping either. Well, on the bright side...

Draco: 30 HP, 14 Str, 10 Skl, 16 Spd, 7 Lck, 13-14 Def

Hero: 34 HP, 12 Str, 15 Skl, 20 Spd, 7 Lck, 10-11 Def

Swordmaster: 32 HP, 11 Str, 16 Skl, 22 Spd, 7 Lck, 9-10 Def

Sniper: 34 HP, 13 Str, 13 Skl, 18 Spd, 7 Lck, 10-11 Def

General: 38 HP, 14 Str, 8 Skl, 13 Spd, 7 Lck, 18-19 Def

Berserker: 34 HP, 15 Str, 7 Skl, 18 Spd, 7 Lck, 9-10 Def

This is actually kind of amazing. He's a bit RP/Shard dependent, but it has it's benefits. Sniper, he can deal with flying dragons while still being able to counter at ranged, helping deal with the likes of Bandits and Dark Mages since he can double them. As a Draco, he can retain mobility while being generally decent against any dragon since he's packing 41 Mt with a Dragonpike. In chapter 12, he can avoid being doubled by the couple Swordmasters there, able to shrug at them if given defensive shards, then if he manages a speed proc can chase down Thieves without worry in 13. Hero and Swordmaster are a tad wonky, but both double dragons (And in Swordmaster's case can even double flying dragons. At first at least). Swordmaster can naturally ORKO Flying Dragons if he ever encounters any.

Sniper lets him double general enemies in the desert on top of deal with flying dragons in an OK fashion, all on counter as well, though his issue is damage since he's stuck at C bows. General is mostly for chapter 12 and 13 seeing as with RP he can avoid being doubled by anything but Flying Dragons. 3RKOd by dragons, 4RKOd by bandsits, laughs at Swordmasters and Thieves despite being doubled. Lets him laugh in impunity while moving forward with little issue while shooting things with a bow or stabbing with a spear. Berserker is probably the weaker class here, but with Scorpio along with RP, it's rather well rounded.

It seems Roger's biggest weakness really is that even though he's statistically awesome post promotion, his shitty weapon ranks hold him back. C lances is nice, but it's only really effective later on, as it doesn't really help the time he shows up. His start is usable as a pirate, but he either wants a weapon scroll or some sort of booster. Question is, what do you scroll him? Scroll his bows so he can be super effective as a Sniper/General? Swords so he can be an impromptu Swordmaster? Axes for a more effective start as a Pirate in chapter 9 and 10, along with giving him another weapon selection as a Draco while being closer to C as a Berserker? Lances, so that he has access to Silver like every other flier? Give him a Robe so that overall he has better durability to be better generally with every class as he'll need less healing attention?

I think Roger could climb. His start is kinda eh, but post promotion and a scroll basically turns him into anything your team might be lacking, or some durability boosting to just make him tough it out. Big issue is that he's rather RP/Shard dependent.

Edited by grandjackal

Here's just two thoughts I have, I'm not going to be incredibly picky or argue the shit out of them because my FE12 experience is highly limited. Nonetheless:

1) Minerva below Rody why...? She's in a superior class, can use every axe instantly, and uses Dragonpikes very well for the next few chapters. She's possibly your only Dracoknight that's viable long-term, unless someone higher than her's getting reclassed. (Dracoknight!Arran served me well in my playthroughs, surprisingly). Her recruitment is kind of irritating, but she certainly makes up for it not too long afterwards.

2) Dolph could possibly stand to be moved out of Free Silvers. He doesn't do much outside of his join chapter, but he could possibly snag a few kills here and there that can help key party members move ahead. I'm not sure if that's been discussed before, but if we're not assuming a warpskip, we'll need him to take out some units in the starting area and beyond.

1) Minerva below Rody why...? She's in a superior class, can use every axe instantly, and uses Dragonpikes very well for the next few chapters. She's possibly your only Dracoknight that's viable long-term, unless someone higher than her's getting reclassed. (Dracoknight!Arran served me well in my playthroughs, surprisingly). Her recruitment is kind of irritating, but she certainly makes up for it not too long afterwards.

Well I dunno why Rody is that high to begin with, I wouldn't really consider Minerva great as a Draco. Ok, but not great. I would think more that she doesn't need much to be generally good at anything you want her to would be a better focal point. Well, for her start anyways. Long term is probably her least substantial point, as like others (namely Paula or Sirius), she does need Speedwings here and there.

As for Rody, to argue him lower, he needs to be 14/1 just to match Minerva though has higher Lance rank. This will be easier said than done considering that he starts as an unpromoted lance rank unit with awful bases, which is practically a death sentence. I'm pretty much forced to use him prologue just so he can be bad instead of unusable. He's not like Luke who is actually usable even without prologue action, or Cecile who has actual combat if given prologue time. He's just Draug without the speed that makes Draug usable and good. It's a lot to put up with just to get him to 14 by the time Minerva drops in and is just him with better ranks and took absolutely 0 resources to get there.

His only strengths is having all the time in the world to build up other weapon ranks (Since I doubt anyone would want to keep him cav), and a better lategame. But I feel the resources and effort needed just to tie up with Minerva kinda dampens him in comparison.

2) Dolph could possibly stand to be moved out of Free Silvers. He doesn't do much outside of his join chapter, but he could possibly snag a few kills here and there that can help key party members move ahead. I'm not sure if that's been discussed before, but if we're not assuming a warpskip, we'll need him to take out some units in the starting area and beyond.

Dolph is not necessary his starting chapter, and is ass at everything. So, no.