Lord of Azure Flame: Chapter 15: Happy Birthday Esphyr!

Snowy_One

Throughout the world, there were many places that were believed to be strongholds and bastions of demonic power, often with some degree of justification. Swamps, ripe of the material to make demons, often had not been cleared at the end of the last war and were ripe with imps and other lesser demons. Dark forests where few people ventured were also primed with tales of the unholy, and often were left alone, even if a town had existed once before inside them. Altion had grown up in one such town. From his earliest days, he had lived within the forest, thriving on the world set about him. Only the rare tax collector from the outside world even dared to try and enter in, and was promptly scared away by the inhabitants. For twenty one years, that town was his life...

Until he wished to see more. Rather, he knew the outside world was a different culture, and he wished to understand it better. Mounting his steed and taking his lance, he left the village, intent on heading to the outside world. For a day he traveled, not really intent on rushing, before he reached the outskirts of his forest.

---

Helenos gave a small twitch. She was getting very annoyed at the constant wait. It wasn't as if she was busy, but she was getting, perturbed by the consistent slowness of the group. Ah well, not like she lacked patience. She had her plan to stop them with ease once they neared her, and she could wait.

---

Esphyr gave a slight 'tch' of annoyance as she watched Morgan work. She knew that the shamaness meant well and was ignorant of the fact, but still... It was a special day to Esphyr. She was eighteen! Her birthday! Though Morgan had already given her a present in the form of returning alive and well and NOT blasting her when she got hugged, the consistent pushing that she made to get moving bit slightly into her re-emerging life. The persona she had once held before she had received her sword. The persona that cared that Morgan was trying to rush the party along. Course, Morgan would probably call it a stupid waste of time, but Esphyr didn't care. It WAS a stupid waste of time, but it still mattered to her.

Taking her bandaged arm, she went over to the wyvern, sneaking Aiya's vulnerary to use for healing. "Morgan, I'm ready if ever you are." she said, starting to apply it.

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"So Morgan is searching for a mole,eh?" Damian commented to himself.

"Do you think I should go?" Aiya asked him,apprehensive. She had wanted to see all non-crimson weapon wielders.

"Not right now.We have a small amount of time to actually get this done,so I'm gonna take it. You go make sure everything is set up,okay?" Damian whispered to Aiya,and she nodded,heading back off to where the preparations had been made.

Seeing Esphyr near Ulfhrahn,and sneaking a vulnerary from Aiya's pack,Damian chuckled.

'It's just a vulnerary,it's no problem.'

"Hey,Esphyr." Damian called to get her attention.

"Have one of the healers look after Morgan for now,I need you to come over here for a minute,okay?"

"Well, a lot of things have been going on lately. Sometimes,it just seems like there isn't time for a lot of things,y'know?" Damian began, walking in the direction of the birthday ambush,at a leisurely pace.

"People are rushing because of the constant attacks, and with Morgan being captured... plus Jace wants to see you for whatever reason, and Naelia is sure to be hanging around somewhere... and everything seems like a blur." Esphyr had been following his calm walk as he spoke,not interjecting. Well,not yet,anyway.

'Almost there.'

"Some things are forgotten, or pushed aside... but that shouldn't happen. So,I just wanted to say..."

The pair turned a corner, and Aiya jumped out from behind a tree.

"Happy Birthday, Esphyr." The two soldiers said in unison,Aiya holding the cake that had been made. It was comprised of several layers of rich chocolate cake,with dark chocolate melted over the top. As a garnish, the same chocolate drizzle covered fresh strawberries on the top.

Aiya held the cake out to Esphyr,as the pair waited to see how she would react.

A look of shock and surprise overcame Esphyr's face as she looked at the cake. A happy look as she looked over the delicious chocolate, but more than that. A happy look into Damian's eye as he showed that he had remembered. She didn't know what to do. The last time she had had a proper birthday was when she was nine. Still, she gave a happy smile as she looked at the two.

"Thank you! Thank you so much!" she said before leaping forwards to hug both Damian and Aiya in turn, kissing both on the cheek. For the moment, she seemed to not be the hardened mercenary, but rather the happy Troubadour she had once been.

"There's no need for thanks, Esphyr. You do so much, you deserve this." Damian replied with a smile as he embraced Esphyr.

"I would have had more people here to jump out at you,but yesterday was so hectic I didn't have time to arrange anything, so you'll have to live with just us." Aiya chimed in.

"Now then. Let's see what you think." Damian said quickly,grabbing a knife and cutting a small piece from the cake.

"Open your mouth,okay?" he said, wondering what she would think of his proposal to feed the cake to her.

'She's cute when she's flustered...i wonder what'll happen?'

"Heh. Surely you don't think me so helpless as to need you to force feed me Damian, do you?" she asked happily. Never the less, she opened her mouth, allowing him the chance. It was something she would have never done under any other circumstances. The mercenary whom had been so tough and self-sufficient... and who was now more than glad to have a moment of simple happiness.

"Aww...and here I was hoping you would get all embarrassed and start blushing. Can't win em all,I guess." Damian said with a light smirk as he gently slipped the cake into her open mouth.

"Well,maybe I can afterall." Damian said offhandedly as his comment caused the blush he had been looking for.

"Am I just an afterthought now?" Damian said,clearly sarcastically,before continuing. "And I'll have you know I'm the one who baked this,Esphyr." Damian finished,readying another bite of cake for her.

Chase came galloping bak to the camp on his horse, and said to nobody in particular, "Sorry... I got lost for a bit... What's going on?"

"Sorry,I'm just so terribly sensitive...I think I might cry if you forget me." Damian replied with a quick smirk.

"Anyway,there is plenty,so no need to worry." Aiya interjected.

"Could I give it a try,actually?" Aiya continued,taking a piece of cake and moving towards Esphyr.

"Sure. Go right ahead. It's a very good cake." said Esphyr, moving aside so that Aiya could have some. "Besides, wouldn't be fair to make the leading lady go without."

"I meant feeding you a piece,Esphyr. I've had Damian's cakes before,so I know how good they are. Besides, today is your day." Aiya replied to Esphyr,who had misunderstood her.

"Hehe~ Alright, I guess we can let you eat on your own after this." Aiya said, a slight pout evident on her face as she slipped the piece of cake into Esphyr's mouth.

Naturally, Esphyr started to chew down on the food, eating it up with ease and a happy smile before she wiped her mouth with her sleeve. Then, taking a slice of her own, she continued eating. "I honestly thought no one remembered. Not like it's unusual though. I mean, being a merc and all."

"... Hello? Does anyone care that I'm back?" Chase asked once again to nobody in particular. "Oh, and we found Morgan, but you guys probably know that already..."

Edited by Lightning

"It's not right that everyone forgets about you just because you're a mercenary, afterall. So we figured it would be best to do something for you." Aiya said with a smile,now sitting next to Esphyr and taking a bite of her own piece.

"Oh wow,this is good....Damian,you've outdone yourself this time." Aiya exclaimed, with a dreamy look in her eyes.

"Well,they had better ingredients at that shop than I usually have access to while we are out on tour." Damian replied,before remembering something.

"Oh,Esphyr,I have something else for you. Hold on,I'll be back in a second."

"So if Morgan was captured, then who handled the prisoner?" Charlotte asked no one in particular. "I would like to have words with them."

Edited by -Cynthia-

OOC: May as well do a character placement post so people know where my folks are.

Isotov

The fire mage was now moving on to magical exercises. Back when he and Ixion were friends, they both practiced together, though Iso never really began to become any good at this until he met his late teacher. He sat with his legs crossed near his bedroll with his fire tome rested open in his lap, and his hands held out, palms opened loosely, and his eyes gently closed.

Three separate fire spells were orbiting his body at slightly different trajectories, each a different size, and each traveling at a different speed in circles around him. His concentration was completely focused on them, and nothing else.

Irina

Irina was lying on her back with her limbs spread out. Kiev was lying next to her in much the same fashion, but with his wings spread out. The both of them were staring up at the sky. One after the other, their stomachs pestered them for food.

Irina: *guuuuuuuu*

Kiev: *guuuwuuuwuwwwuuu*

Irina started fantasizing about several different kinds of dishes she could eat if only the group were in a town. Kiev fantasized about munching on one of the horses, though he wouldn't actually go that far. His master wasn't feeding him, and he could tell she was hungry too. He also knew that he wasn't allowed to hunt on his own, so he began contemplating seeking out the blond one who could summon dogs, or perhaps the tan one with all of the arrows.

Viveka and Jasmine

Viveka was once again wearing Derek's old mercenary jacket, and was using Susann like a reclining chair, her legs crossed, and her head resting up against the pegasus' mane. Jasmine wasn't far away either, and she was also mounted, though mounted normally with a journal and pin in her hand.

Viveka: *sigh* out of rations ...

Jasmine: Almost out of water too. I hope we make it to a town soon.

Viveka: Screw towns. Cities are better. We could actually split up for once and if we stay over night, we might find something fun to do.

Jasmine: I right, I totally forgot that we're on vacation ... er ... well we're supposed to be anyway.

Levski

Levski was leaning up against Krinkov and writing out a budget in a notebook of his own. He was also carelessly going over a list of names and such. Once Morgan's name came up, Krinkov immediately moved so that Levski would fall! The wyvern lord couldn't get his balance in time and hit the ground with a thud and a groan!

Lev: The hell was that about?

The wyvern quickly headbutted him and he swiftly punched the wyvern in return! After a few more exchanges the two ended up in a quick wrestling match! Neither of them won, and Krinkov went back to laying down while Lev stood up not leaning on anything.

Lev: *sigh* These is about Morgan again isn't it? Look. Morgan's sick, and she's not getting any better. I know you don't understand these, but these is the time when you have to be there for women the most. You don't abandon them just because they're not fit for mating. That's a wyvern thing.

Krinkov nodded in agreement, and then snorted at his master. He had no respect for odd customs like that. If a female couldn't serve a viable purpose, she was better off succumbing to her illness and dying he thought.

"... I guess nobody's around right now." Chase muttered, and wandered around aimlessly, finally coming across Lev. "Oh. There you are. I was looking for someone to tell I'm back. Where's everyone else?"

--

Meanwhile, Conrad was sitting in his tent, writing up a letter to send back to Ilyphna when they reached the post at the next city. He reread it several times, then sealed it and put his personal stamp on it. "I'm so sick of having to write all the time... at least I'll have less paperwork to do for a while, but when I get back... oh dear, I don't even want to think about that."

Edited by Lightning