Lord of Azure Flame: Chapter 15: Happy Birthday Esphyr!

Snowy_One

"... Not really?" Chase replied. "The first fight I was with you guys for was the battle against Percy ad his squad. Do you mean when I first met you guys, and you were fighting... something?"

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Oh... I wasn't there, I was catching up to you guys. What about it?" Chase inquired.

Edited by Lightning

"Well you are close to Morgan. You know that Morgan is searching for a mole amongst our group. Telling you would ruin the fun. The mole is one of the people she employed. Find the person and Morgan might praise you or something to that extent."

Quickly licking his fingers, Alferis said one last thing to Reika,

"You're going to be interviewed by Morgan soon right? I think you should tell her your suspicions, it might get this done faster and provoke less attacks. Could you at least tell me what your hunch is?"

"I told you before it's none of your damn business. It's my problem ok? You'll hear about pretty soon anyway," Reika snapped. "So just shut up about it!"

"Ok, ok, I'm sorry. I didn't realize you'd get angry over it. Anyway, just to let you know, if you need something off your chest, I'm willing to listen. Just to let you know."

They went in opposite directions, Reika heading near Morgan, waiting for her turn to be interviewed while Alferis went into the direction where Esphyr headed.

"Hey Espyr! Happy Birthday! Wish I knew when it was, I would've gotten you something."

"There were two soldiers from Halton, and two from Elyisimia, with no other soldiers. The big three haven't done a joint operation since I've been in the military, and four soldiers hardly count as a number that would need reporting." Damian replied simply.

"Those mercenaries were armed. And she attacked after the fighting had finished, without even trying to determine what the conflict was about. Maybe if there were no one but Septimians involved, that might have been okay, I don't know their policies to the letter. But once she discovered that she was attacking people who were not citizens of Septimus, and thus were not under her jurisdiction, international protocol states she should have tried to stop the conflict. I don't plan on reporting this, so Septimus won't have any fees to pay, not to Halton anyway. But such violations have consequences. I'm sure the Halton government isn't particularly happy with me at the moment due to those same reasons. We messed up in Elyisimia, so Halton is paying right now to help keep things quiet." Damian continued.

"Of course, it is to be expected. The world is an ugly place outside the castles. Fairness, duty, respectability... a good chunk of people don't even know what those words mean."

"Septimian national policy would overrule international protocol, at least in this instance. I know that if foreign military members were killing Jerdonian citizens, then killed Jerdonian soldiers trying to stop them, took one of my generals prisoner and abused them, I would be willing to stop them by any means necessary. You may have believed you were in the right, and Halton will likely support you, but I doubt the Septimian government will agree. Governments have a duty to protect their people, and if they see you as invaders we can expect hostility from them." Charlotte retorted.

"Keep in mind that the only witnesses were General Alex and the supposed invaders. They will likely believe her word over yours."

Edited by -Cynthia-

"Why are you telling me this? Don't you hate me or something?" Chase asked, a bit puzzled. "Well... thanks." With that, he turned around and headed to his tent, pondering who could be the mole.

"Oh yeah, dont go accusing people without any proof. It will make you look even foolish then you do now." :D

Edited by Solf J. Kimblee

Alex

Once having made her way to Anglenar, the Comet had one of the mages contact a bishop in the capital, and, within minutes, she was in the church, via a rescue staff. Paying the bishop for his services, Alex swiftly exited the church, and made her way to her manse, avoiding any of her servants. Once inside her room, the woman stripped off her armor and black clothing, storing them in a hidden closet. Closing it, she took a simple silver gown from her real wardrobe, and put it on. Finally, Alex pulled her hair back, as to show her full face. Walking over to a table, the lady began to write down a message. Right as she finished, there was a knock on the door.

"Come in," she said, turning around to see the butler step into the room.

"Lady Alexandra, a message from your father," he said, bowing. "He apologizes for not being able to celebrate your birthday, due to other matters he must attend to. He sends you his regards."

"Of course. It is to be expected, with his occupation," Alex replied, sighing. "But, no matter. Excellent timing, Geane. I need you to send this to the palace. It is urgent," she added, rolling the parchment up and tying it with a ribbon, before handing it to her servant.

"Yes, milady," he said, taking the parchment. Bowing, the butler stepped out of the room, leaving the noble to her thoughts.

Derek

"... Colonel Kleine, these so called 'protocols' were never enacted, if you didn't know," Derek said, stepping into the argument. "In reality, those are nothing but a set of excuses the Halton empire made to justify themselves, no matter what they do. Conquer a smaller nation? It was justified by the defenders' king breaking 'protocol'. Fail an invasion? Extort the other nation, by 'showing' them how it was their fault, or that the squad was 'battling brigands', or something of the sort, and risk war if it isn't covered up. For the most part, it has worked, but now that you're going to attempt to apply it to one of the big three nations, it will be exposed for the sham it is. Drop the issue, before you dig us a deeper grave."

"I don't know. Probably armor, or some sweets. Something like that," said Alferis.

"Anyway, I'm concerned about this ambush by the Septimians I've heard about. We took an aggressive stance against the army and even if they started it, attacking them basically turned made us enemies to them.

It's also a big problem for me if the Septimians attack us again. I think you should know about it, but, uh, I'm not sure how to explain it."

Edited by Dark Sage

"Some new armor would have been nice, but why is it such an issue? I mean, yea, I know the basics, but it doesn't worry me anymore than when we fought Elyisima. Except this time there is no witnesses except Alex. It's not like we're trying to refound a nation or something."

"Strange man," Heinz commented offhandly, watching the cavalier ride away. Walking back to where the rest of the group was, Heinz rolled his eyes at the argument taking place a few yards away. Damned military fools, always thinking they're right, taking a piece of the cake and munching on it. Doesn't taste half bad though, finishing off the rest of the slice.

Seeing Aiya close by, Heinz walked over to the soldier. "Thanks for making the cake, you bake pretty well," nodding his head in thanks.

Edit: Slight grammar.

Edited by the_whistler

"It doesn't change the fact that we showed hostility towards the army and we have senior members of the Haltonian army in our ranks who fought as well. That's a very serious matter, especially since Septimus is a powerful nation and we may earn the wrath of Jace.

And, well," he went to her ear whispering, "I, ah, sort of have a bounty on my head by them. It's not a large one and I doubt anyone outside the Vaorin area would know that much about it, but still, if anyone from there knows about it and they find out I'm here, they're going to pursue us. You really want that?"

Geane took the parchment and hurried towards the palace. Right outside the massive palace doors, an auburn-haired young man riding a gleaming white pegasus landed in front of the gates. The pegasus preened himself, while the young man dismounted.

"Ah Prince Tristan, I have a note for your mother and father." Geane said, bowing to the young man.

"They're in a meeting about trade guilds or something boring like that." Tristan answered, taking the parchment from Geane's hands.

Probably just something about some bishop's birthday, Tristan thought glumly. But as he read the parchment, his face lit up.

"Made contact with Princess Charlotte? That could be interesting." Lucky General Alex, being born of the warrior caste so she's not all cooped up in the palace like some people.. "Send her for an audience with me immediately."

"Ah yes, Milord." Geane said, heading back the way he came. He passed a ratty looking horse on the way, which Bellerophon turned his nose up at.

Good thing I came back from my ride early the prince thought. Some exciting news for once

Geane arrived back in Alex's quarters. "Milady, Prince Tristan asked for an audience immediately." he said, bowing.

Edited by -Cynthia-

"Your a mercenary. Having a bounty on you is part of the job. I once had one for fifty gold on me from some boony nation." replied Esphyr, her tone hushed. "Probably still there too, but no one really cares enough to collect. But I do see the worry now. Hopefully Damian can show that we were the ones attacked. Why is it that we always seem to end up fighting everyone?"

"Well, Halton and Septimus were always tense with one another. The Comet might have been under orders to attack us to find Charlotte, but like I said, once Damian fought with you guys, he was directly interfering with Septimus. If the Comet was given instructions to do so, you can bet that the Septimians wouldn't be willing to listen to us."

Oh crap she doesn't know. I thought she...whoops.

"Erm, Charlotte is the one who knows. Go ask her. Anyway, you'll probably figure it out on your own if you think about it. Point is, it's going to be harder to see Jace now because we attacked members of the Septimian army."

"I am no mere "healer girl." Charlotte said. "The mild-mannered cleric that has been traveling with you this whole time is actually the long lost divine princess of Jerdon!" she exclaimed, glad that her revelation had not been entirely spoiled.

Edited by -Cynthia-

"That won't do well seeing as Naelia is stealing from us. She's like a little gremlin. Every engagement we have we end up losing half our stuff." she said with a sigh. "Can things get any worse?"

OOC: I need to go to a special Saturday service. Blame parents.

"Things can always be worse. We could have all three countries after us right now. Some of us could've died. Point is, things can always be worse. Just remember that if you're feeling down. It's what I do to feel better.

Chase sat in his tent, thinking. Someone Morgan has hired... Let me think. Hmm... Irina, I don't think so, Lev I dunno, Alferis? That just doesn't seem right... Pary, heh, Maybe it's him... he certainly seems to need a lot of money... Hienz... Well, he's kinda weird... maybe...

--

On the other hand, Conrad emerged from his own tent, dusting off his armor and looking around. "Everyone's all tense. I bet it's about that General..." he muttered to himself, then rose his voice. "Excuse me! Does anyone know where Colonel Kleine is at the moment?"

Hearing Heinz comment,Aiya turned to him. "Oh, I didn't bake that, Damian did."

"There's not much I can do about it. If General Alex chooses to lie and say we instigated the attack, then Septimus will be after us. This whole place is corrupt, they wouldn't listen to us against the word of one of their own, even if we had a million witnesses, so long as they aren't Septimian." Damian replied with a scowl.

"Honestly, if they are looking for Charlotte, and we've encountered the comet like this, I would rather deal with Naelia than stay in this country... this is our only chance to leave before word reaches the border. If we stay any longer, then that General decides what happens to us."

Hearing the voice of Conrad asking for him, Damian bellowed back.

"I'm right over here, General!"

Edited by Kleine