Draft tier list

Naglfar

I think ike should be taken out, and micaiah too. Since they'll be used by everyone the way they affect turn counts will always be there.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, Fiona isn't salvagable on EM. Trust me, I tried.

Astrid contributes mor to her team, then Fiona does to the DB. Astrid probably has less competition for the Double Bow than Fiona does for the WishBlade.

They both get Bows and Lances tier 3 though.

Dude, Fiona isn't salvagable on EM. Trust me, I tried.

Astrid contributes mor to her team, then Fiona does to the DB. Astrid probably has less competition for the Double Bow than Fiona does for the WishBlade.

They both get Bows and Lances tier 3 though.

She is, you just aren't trying hard enough. She requires a lot of babying though and BEXP will just make her way too unbalanced than it could help her. for example way too much strenght but low skill or spd and such. But this is never practical.

Edited by SlayerX

Fiona has 5 chapters before Part 4. Astrid has 4 chapters, but she has Paragon for two of them free of charge and can easily carry it for 3-11 and 3-E, plus she is initially a higher level. In addition, Astrid's weaksauce growths are less of an issue in NM since the enemies are weaker in general.

Fiona also has serious difficulties with her movement in her chapters. Even if we assume that we're beating 2-3 for the BEXP (which is not always practical if we have noone that can use it effectively, or if certain CRKs don't exist), Astrid still has more opportunities to gain EXP. Main issues are that she can't take any forges until 3-11, really.

You know, im confused. What exactly is "Drafting" in the way you mean it? If i understood that i could understand the entire thread better. Ive been wondering that since Draft threads started popping up.

Fiona has 5 chapters before Part 4. Astrid has 4 chapters, but she has Paragon for two of them free of charge and can easily carry it for 3-11 and 3-E, plus she is initially a higher level. In addition, Astrid's weaksauce growths are less of an issue in NM since the enemies are weaker in general.

Fiona also has serious difficulties with her movement in her chapters. Even if we assume that we're beating 2-3 for the BEXP (which is not always practical if we have noone that can use it effectively, or if certain CRKs don't exist), Astrid still has more opportunities to gain EXP. Main issues are that she can't take any forges until 3-11, really.

The difference between Fiona and Astrid is that Fiona is actually useful in her chapters.

I'm redoing my draft playthrough from the first draft, and I had enough EXP and BEXP for Aran to promote naturally and for Fiona to be stuffed with enough to hit 18 and then get Seal'd.

1-7: Fiona's Savior lets her carry Micaiah to the seize point without hurting her combat. With BEXP she can double mages and armors, one rounding the latter and being able to combine with Sothe or any other DB to kill.

1-E: Again, Savior lets her carry Micaiah and a unit like Rafiel so that they don't fall behind Sothe.

3-6: Not that great, but does speed things up a little bit and can protect Micaiah.

3-12: Any combat unit speeds this chapter up.

3-13: Not very useful since she can't run down ledges for a fast finish.

Note that no other unit has both Canto and Savior other than promoted Jill, who has to give up other potential skills for it. In fact, Fiona is still a good last pick even if you didn't draft a single Part 1 unit (not that I would recommend that), because it allows Micaiah to give her support to Sothe without being in amazing amounts of danger, and also lets her be closer to the seize point rather than having to stay like 8 spaces back.

Compare to Astrid:

2-3: Even if she's your only draft'd unit in this chapter, it's better to just have Geoffrey run forward and take the penalty. She's not helping, just getting EXP so she's not a waste of a draft.

2-E: See above, replace Geoffrey with Elincia, only she's not getting any EXP at all because she won't even show up.

3-9: If you didn't have another Part 2 unit to throw BEXP at, she can take it here and maybe do something, but unforged Steel Lances aren't so hot considering her Str/Spd are probably fairly poor anyway due to bad Str/Spd.

3-11: Probably her best chapter. Mount + Longbow means she's one of the best units for making sure no Shine Barriers are thrown down, although flyers can cart other people over gaps anyway. She can run someone like Gatrie forward though, which is always nice.

3-E: Depending on how many stat boosters we threw at her, might save a turn due to high movement.

Edited by Paperblade

What stats exactly will Fiona be packing if we BEXP her to 18 and then Seal her? BEXP priority goes SPD-LUK-DEF-RES-HP-STR-SKL-MAG, and she already has awful STR/SKL without killing it further. Like, at 18/1, she's probably looking at 12STR/12SKL, if she's lucky. Even with a max mt Steel forge, she's what, 5HKOing Tigers and 4HKOing Cats?

Although I guess Astrid is hardly in a better position. All she really has is being able to eat a Robe and BEXP, but until Luck caps... I guess she's better in Part 4, though.

I forgot about her Savior utility, admittedly, but I question how helpful it actually is. Fiona's 7 move and allergy to ledges is somwhat better than Micaiah's 5 move (and easy-peasy shoving), I suppose, but I'd still rather have Savior on Sothe, who doesn't take ledge penalties. I suppose we could give him Pass instead, but if we're tying Micaiah to Fiona's pony, we can't use the ledges anyway. Best to give Pass to someone mobile (the laguz) and have them shove the ledge-blockers.

Stefan/Volke don't take away any endgame slots. Ike/Micaiah/Sothe are all forced, so 10 picks fits 10 slots.

Nailah, Janaff, Ulki, and Tibarn should move down a tier or so, again, no 2-range is killer and none of them have particularly good availability. By the time Janaff and Ulki show up for the GMs, you likely have someone with comparable/better stats, and while 9 mov + canto + flight is certainly a pro, I'm not sure it can compensate for natural laguz issues, including gauge for them.

Janaff and Ulki, yes, but Nailah and Tibarn are where they are because of the impact they have on their own chapters. Nailah makes 1-8 much easier (technically Volug can do the same things she does, but still), and makes 1-E a hell of a lot easier (Volug can't do this). Tibarn's flying ahead and speeding up the 4-2 rout despite his lack of 2-range, and 2-range is completely unnecessary for finishing 4-5 quickly.

They're less useful in endgame, but they're still great and both shave quite a lot of turns. And frustration. That said, Janaff and Ulki below... Nephenee. Let me know if there's something wrong with that estimate. Nailah and Tibarn stay where they are for now.

I'm curious howcome Fiona is a lot higher than Astrid?

I've never actually used Fiona before, so I was really only guessing based on what I've heard. Seems like I've severely overrated her, though. For the record, I've used Astrid on NM before, and she was pretty awful until she promoted. She also needed both Silencers for her offence to stay good. She, I think, was placed decently. Dark, could you tell me some more about how good Fiona's been for you so far?

MY NAME WAS MENTIONED.

First step: I propose a motion to remove Ike, Mic, and Sothe from the list. Since it's a list based off of who's best to draft and those three aren't draftees, I find this reasonable.

No, it's not a "who's best to draft" list, it's a "who's best in a draft" list. Taking them out would be like removing Ike/Micaiah/etc from the HM list because they're forced forever, despite it being a "who's most useful" list and not a "who's best to deploy" list.

I really gotta jet, but I end with proposing Laura for bottom of Upper Mid.

Done in respect of your big and comprehensive report. Also kind of influenced by how "not as good as Soren but raping Marcia" sounds fair.

Edit: Upper Mid is getting way too big. Before we move anyone else, let's get some people out of there. What do you guys think about Ranulf below Marcia? His offence really isn't ever better than hers is and he has a shitty gauge. He's more durable, but neither are dying anyway.

Edited by Naglfar

What stats exactly will Fiona be packing if we BEXP her to 18 and then Seal her? BEXP priority goes SPD-LUK-DEF-RES-HP-STR-SKL-MAG, and she already has awful STR/SKL without killing it further. Like, at 18/1, she's probably looking at 12STR/12SKL, if she's lucky. Even with a max mt Steel forge, she's what, 5HKOing Tigers and 4HKOing Cats?

Although I guess Astrid is hardly in a better position. All she really has is being able to eat a Robe and BEXP, but until Luck caps... I guess she's better in Part 4, though.

I forgot about her Savior utility, admittedly, but I question how helpful it actually is. Fiona's 7 move and allergy to ledges is somwhat better than Micaiah's 5 move (and easy-peasy shoving), I suppose, but I'd still rather have Savior on Sothe, who doesn't take ledge penalties. I suppose we could give him Pass instead, but if we're tying Micaiah to Fiona's pony, we can't use the ledges anyway. Best to give Pass to someone mobile (the laguz) and have them shove the ledge-blockers.

Mine had something like

37HP (Robe)

11 Str

8 Mag

12 Skl (nonfactor, I forged +5 Might/25 Hit to her weapons)

20 Spd

some luck

~16 Def (Dracoshield)

Enough Res that she wasn't too worried about mages

I had Sothe with Cancel and Resolve and max might/hit Iron Knives and Aran with Paragon and a max might/crit Steel Lance capable of 2HKOing Armors (he got speed screwed and only had 12 Speed). I believe Fiona had Adept. Celerity and Pass going to GMs. I also had Rafiel, which might skew results a bit. *shrug*

Micaiah attacked a dude, Fiona rescued. Sothe killed the Soldier, and Aran moved forward. Rafiel vigor'd them all, and Sothe killed the Myrm and set up to counterkill the Archer. Aran attacked the armor, Fiona stayed just in range to kill the Fighter. I then had them run up and kill the armor. I don't care about the Thieves because the only item I really want is the Speedwing. My Micaiah can't OHKO Armors with Thani anymore, but Aran and Sothe OHKO Mages and Fiona ORKOs them (and took single digit damage iirc). By turn 5 I had cleared out the second layer and killed both Thieves (getting a Reaper Card). Fiona also dropped Micaiah at this point.

I had Sothe run up the west side so that the Meteor mage would attack him (he 3HKOs Armors and has about 85 avoid with Resolve up) at melee while Fiona held off the reinforcements from behind with the Javelin (this is very useful, ledge advantage means as long as you double you can kill them. Aran took the middle chokepoint in preparation to kill Jarod and seize, with Miccy finishing armors from behind. I finished the map in 10 turns, Fiona probably saved 2-3. For a last pick unit, this is pretty damn impressive.

Edit: Upper Mid is getting way too big. Before we move anyone else, let's get some people out of there. What do you guys think about Ranulf below Marcia? His offence really isn't ever better than hers is and he has a shitty gauge. He's more durable, but neither are dying anyway.

Marcia starts at a lower level but is easy to train cuz she...isnt laguz, also she flys giving more movment options. I think she is less availible though isnt she? cant remember exactly, but either way after getting her out of her initial crappiness she has alot of potential

Cain and Giffca need to go down somewhat. With such a premium on availability here, these two lions simply don't have much of it. Plus, you can hyper-level and BEXP abuse your other units, so you're not as desperate for godly characters as on HM. I don't condone dropping them super low, because they really are that strong, but I think that they need to head toward lower mid tier.

Draft Playthroughs seem so fun :) I want to do one.

The difference between Fiona and Astrid is that Fiona is actually useful in her chapters.

I'm redoing my draft playthrough from the first draft, and I had enough EXP and BEXP for Aran to promote naturally and for Fiona to be stuffed with enough to hit 18 and then get Seal'd.

1-7: Fiona's Savior lets her carry Micaiah to the seize point without hurting her combat. With BEXP she can double mages and armors, one rounding the latter and being able to combine with Sothe or any other DB to kill.

1-E: Again, Savior lets her carry Micaiah and a unit like Rafiel so that they don't fall behind Sothe.

3-6: Not that great, but does speed things up a little bit and can protect Micaiah.

3-12: Any combat unit speeds this chapter up.

3-13: Not very useful since she can't run down ledges for a fast finish.

Note that no other unit has both Canto and Savior other than promoted Jill, who has to give up other potential skills for it. In fact, Fiona is still a good last pick even if you didn't draft a single Part 1 unit (not that I would recommend that), because it allows Micaiah to give her support to Sothe without being in amazing amounts of danger, and also lets her be closer to the seize point rather than having to stay like 8 spaces back.

Compare to Astrid:

2-3: Even if she's your only draft'd unit in this chapter, it's better to just have Geoffrey run forward and take the penalty. She's not helping, just getting EXP so she's not a waste of a draft.

2-E: See above, replace Geoffrey with Elincia, only she's not getting any EXP at all because she won't even show up.

3-9: If you didn't have another Part 2 unit to throw BEXP at, she can take it here and maybe do something, but unforged Steel Lances aren't so hot considering her Str/Spd are probably fairly poor anyway due to bad Str/Spd.

3-11: Probably her best chapter. Mount + Longbow means she's one of the best units for making sure no Shine Barriers are thrown down, although flyers can cart other people over gaps anyway. She can run someone like Gatrie forward though, which is always nice.

3-E: Depending on how many stat boosters we threw at her, might save a turn due to high movement.

That makes sense to me :)

Fiona is a horrible fighter but she is a good pick for BEXP since making her decent in combat + Saviour makes her a decent unit out there Right?

I also think drafting both Jill and Fiona would be a good combo since Jill can gain CEXP and Fiona can too in 1-E with Innate Saviour.

I just personally think she shouldn't be much higher than Astrid or Astrid shouldn't be much lower than Fiona since Fiona's combat is reduced in 3-6 and 3-13 while having much more competition for the Wishblade than Astrid does for the Double Bow.

Ilyana higher than Soren? What a surprise ^.^

Edited by Queen_Elincia

Cain and Giffca need to go down somewhat. With such a premium on availability here, these two lions simply don't have much of it. Plus, you can hyper-level and BEXP abuse your other units, so you're not as desperate for godly characters as on HM. I don't condone dropping them super low, because they really are that strong, but I think that they need to head toward lower mid tier.

Caineghis has the potential to double Dheggie/Seph/Auras/Ashera for massive damage sans Nasir. He's also approximately invincible and has Formshift. Yes, he's only around for the Tower, but he utterly trivializes it. Giffca, on the other hand, is just another strong Lion like Skrimir with less availability and a higher join level. has a speed cap of 20 and I didn't know it. Still, Formshift should put Caineghis solidly above him, despite their identical caps.

Caineghis needs to be above Giffca, and Caineghis ought to stay in Mid.

EDIT: The inevitable argument is "but laguz gem" - well, you only have one of those (somewhat irrelevant in a draft, but you might end up shafted with two Laguz - God help the poor bastard if you drafted Reyson) until Nasir rolls around. Giffca also takes a turn to use the Gem, where Caineghis can pop Formshift and immediately attack. If you, say, didn't have a Heron (not improbable) then having Giffca instead of Caineghis is less efficient. I would have, for example, taken 2 turns on 4-E-2 had I tried that strategy with Giffca.

Edited by Integrity

Caineghis has the potential to double Dheggie/Seph/Auras/Ashera for massive damage sans Nasir. He's also approximately invincible and has Formshift. Yes, he's only around for the Tower, but he utterly trivializes it. Giffca, on the other hand, is just another strong Lion like Skrimir with less availability and a higher join level. has a speed cap of 20 and I didn't know it. Still, Formshift should put Caineghis solidly above him, despite their identical caps.

Caineghis needs to be above Giffca, and Caineghis ought to stay in Mid.

EDIT: The inevitable argument is "but laguz gem" - well, you only have one of those (somewhat irrelevant in a draft, but you might end up shafted with two Laguz - God help the poor bastard if you drafted Reyson) until Nasir rolls around. Giffca also takes a turn to use the Gem, where Caineghis can pop Formshift and immediately attack. If you, say, didn't have a Heron (not improbable) then having Giffca instead of Caineghis is less efficient. I would have, for example, taken 2 turns on 4-E-2 had I tried that strategy with Giffca.

Well, thing is you can have two of those prior to Nasir. One from the desert, one from Giffca himself. Only issue is for strategies that work with Cain but not with Giffca due to the gem. However, you can pretty reliably bexp Giffca for 40 speed (he starts at 36 and has speed as #1 growth by a fair amount over #4). How are you getting Cain from 34 speed to 40 speed with a 20% growth that is 3rd last? He's got 4 levels and needs speed 3 times. You'll be lucky to get just 1 point and the wings are probably more useful on your units with more availability. He can't even double Ashera at base speed (needs 36) so you'll still need to get lucky and get +1. He also needs 36 to double Seph, or 40 if Seph has the staff equipped.

Also, in many chapters Giffca doesn't even need a gem. Lion gauge goes down slowly enough that you won't likely need a gem for 4-E-2 and 4-E-3 and 4-E-4 and 4-E-5. He only needs stones for those chapters (and not even 4-E-3 given he starts with full gauge. As a result, he only needs you to buy a single 3000 gold laguz stone in the 4-E base. Then you have 14 gem uses for all your non-Giffca laguz since he only needs 1 use on 4-E-1. You have 9 up until 4-E-4. That should be fine for almost any team.

Also, reyson shouldn't ever need the gem for any chapters given how a stone gets him transformed until turn 7. He can do his 4 unit vigor from turn 2 to turn 6. Unless for some reason you anticipate Reyson entering battle, won't you be done each of those chapters before turn 7?

Back to Giffca, -3 per turn and -2 per battle. 30 gauge to start turn 1 enemy phase. On turn 4 that becomes 21 gauge from turns, so in 3 turns he can fight 10 enemies and still be transformed. On turn 6 that becomes 15 gauge and he could still fight 7 times. 8 times if you don't care about being transformed. That is more than sufficient for 4-E-4 and 4-E-5 and with the quick Ike clear of 2 that means it's fine for 4-E-2 as well. There might, perhaps, be concerns about 4-E-3, but I don't think so.

Not that I want to pretend that I know anything about FE10 (because I don't) but I did want to add something in since I was THE person who brought Draft playthroughs over to SF from GameFAQs.

The original draft was actually based on FE10. The way it worked was that a Lord character was only to be used as a fighter in the case that there was no person from your drafted team available for fighting. It worked like this:

Micaiah for Part 1

Ellincia for 2-P

Brom/Nephenee for 2-1 (I think it was Brom even though I know that the chapter ends if either die)

Lucia for 2-2

Geoffrey for 2-3

Ellincia for 2-E

Ike/Micaiah/Geoffrey for Part 3 (Geoffrey for 3-7 only)

Part 4 should have at least 1 drafted person per team.

You see what I'm getting at? The reason that I bring this up is because someone on the first page said that you always have Ike which is actually false in this case. I'm not trying to raise or drop anyone's positions (though it's possible that Sothe might just be better than Ike because of the above clause).

That is true. The old ruleset has no bearing on the new one. In any case, thanks for bringing drafts over here~

Ranulf below Marcia. Caineghis above Giffca because, among other things, of his extra player phase on Auras. Caineghis versus Giffca is a problematic issue, I've found, but I do know that draft teams need all the help they can get for Dheggy and Ashera, and the one who does better at this is Caineghis.

Assuming Cain's BEXP levels would always give a point to the three stats with the highest growths, he'd get: HP, STR, LUK for lv37, HP, STR (capped) LUK for lv38, HP, LUK, DEF (capped) for 39, and HP, SPD, LUK for 40. Therefore, unless he doesn't get something retarded like MAG, he has a decent chance of a speed proc.

And Narga, he doesn't actually need a speedwing. You can cap any of his higher-growth stats with whatever statups you have lying around to improve the chances of a speed proc. HP is capped with a robe, STR with a drop, DEF with a shield, even LUK caps at 39 with an Ashera Icon and surely at least you can afford to save one or two of those for Cain (two makes it cap at 37). Assuming two icons, a predictable BEXP dump would yield HP, STR, LUK (capped) for 37, HP, STR (capped), DEF (capped) for 38... leaving HP (50%), MAG (10%), SPD (20%) and RES (10%) for the last two levels. MAG caps after one proc, so even if 39 misses SPD somehow, 40 can't. In fact, no matter what happens beforehand, speed must proc at least once. The worst case scenario for speed is it gets one point while literally everything else caps.

Base Cain's HP is 4 away from capping, strength is 2 away, magic is 1 away, skill starts capped, luck is 5 points away, defence is 1 point away and resistance is 2 points away. 4+2+1+5+1+2=15. With two icons, that's 4+2+1+1+1+2=11. Four levels of BEXP must assign exactly twelve points, and no more than eleven fit on these stats. At least one point, two is likely, will fall on speed. If it somehow pushes in front of a higher growth and procs for level 37 or 38, even three isn't a pipe dream. Three makes 40 speed, but really, I don't remember Sephiran ever having equipped a staff, and 36 doubles everything else so all this "what if" is moot.

Definitely Caineghis > Giffca unless there's something else the player who drafts Mufasa desperately needs two Ashera Icons for.

Edited by Naglfar

Three makes 40 speed, but really, I don't remember Sephiran ever having equipped a staff, and 36 doubles everything else so all this "what if" is moot.

Auras have 35 AS, so Cain needs Nasir to double while Giffca doesn't. And I doubt people are going to draft two people who only show up in 4-E often, so Cain's most likely not doubling auras without a speedwing, which makes him worse for 4-E-5. IIRC Cain won't be able to attack on the first turn of 4-E-4 without a heron (or maybe he can attack some spirit out of the way, but there's not much of a point in doing that), so Formshift won't give him an advantage there either.

So it's something like an extra player phase on 4-E-1, 4-E-2 and 4-E-3 and not needing a laguz stone and a laguz gem charge vs doubling auras without a wing. And as you said, draft teams need help for Ashera, and Narga covered the stone/gem issue. Dunno if that means Giffca > Mufasa, but the issue doesn't seem as clear-cut as you make it out to be.

Or a robe and a drop/two icons and a robe/whatever instead of a speedwing. Makes Mufasa's situation better, since talismans and icons probably aren't in much demand and there are a lot of options for him to get 40 speed.

(Added non-wing options for Caineghis, fixed a couple typos, removed a note that Giffca has a higher str base and growth since they'll both cap it with bexp anyway [and then noticed that I somehow mixed them up, and it's actually Caineghis whose str is higher].) [removed talisman being useful for capping speed, I guess I wasn't thinking straight when I posted this]

Edited by General Ganon

Let's not forget that Caineghis' additional strength is useful as well. I think he only needs a single STR proc to ORKO Cover Generals, and he might not even need that on NM. He's also superior for taking down Deghinsea.

(I think that which one is better depends entirely on what sort of team they're in. If we have spare stat boosters to manipulate Caineghis' stats, he is superior, if we do not, Giffca is superior.)

Edited by Slowking

Ah, got the numbers wrong, sorry. That's not a particularly good thing to screw up. But the concept's the same. Whether or not Caineghis is outright better or not depends on whether or not we have three stat boosters, two if one's a robe or a speedwing. I'd like to argue that we do, because it's NM and with lower stats being helped out by BEXP and some stat boosters being nearly useless, you'll probably have some left at endgame that nobody else will miss (Robes when everyone's HP is close to capping/capped/irrelevant, icons, etc). In fact, Mufasa might be higher priority than other units who want leftover stat boosters simply because it gives a huge boost to offence where it's very much appreciated.

So there's a pretty good chance that Caineghis is getting what he wants, when everyone else's stats are mostly drunk on BEXP and only the occasional stat booster and pretty much capped/nearly capped everywhere. And thirteen units means there's more to go around. When he caps his speed and presumably everything else, there's no longer anything Giffca can do better than him. There are things they do equally well because they're so similar, but Cain's a slightly better Dheggy slayer and gets two attacks in on an aura while Giffca's still fiddling with transformation items. By what margin is up to debate, but I believe the king is better.

I must ask, though, Slowking, what kind of team wouldn't even have a couple of spare stat boosters?

Edited by Naglfar

General Ganon, the auras have 35 AS on HM. I'm not sure about NM, but I'd assume that AS would be lower than that.

Aura and Spirit stats are identical on all modes, as are NM/HM bosses (a few EM bosses are weaker).

This is correct. The stats for Auras, spirits, and bosses are the same on NM and HM.

However, it should be noted that both Sephiran and Ashera are weighed down by their weapons. Both of them have 32 AS.

Edited by Cocytus

Even though Giffca is much more likely to double Auras, I'm not confident it has a definitive effect on turncount.

I don't think Ike should be in top. He gets kind of limited by wind edges early, then by scheduled promotion, and though afterwards he's fine, anyone on the GMs is probably as kick ass as he is.