BEXP tactics

I wonder why its suggested to BEXP characters to .99' before a chapter. Isn't it better to use less BEXP on them? Instead of BEXPing them to .99 I could BEXP them to .89 or .70ish it would save BEXP and the character would still level up with any CEXP they receive. I wonder if doing that would be more helpful or not really make a difference. What do you think?

I also always thought it was a waste to give BEXP to someone like Sothe during part 1 and prefer to give it to someone that could get more for less like early stage Nolan or Edward. That is a good tactic correct?

Edited by Queen_Elincia

The closer you get them to the next levelup, the less CEXP they'll need (and for the next). Like if Edward gets 15 Exp for killing an enemy, he'll have 14 left over for his next level.

And yeah, BEXPing Sothe is not really a good choice.

I think there's a way better way to spend your BEXP. instead of promoting someone early because they have reached most caps, use BEXP to get them to 20 first. this way they will cap stats they usually won't. and a max speed Mickey and max resistance Ike can be very usable.

I don't think this is good tactics for hard mode though...

As far as I can see, using BEXP solely to make CEXP levels faster is a terrible idea. You won't have any left to use after a couple stats have capped to help weaker/screwed areas, when you actually need it.

As far as I can see, using BEXP solely to make CEXP levels faster is a terrible idea. You won't have any left to use after a couple stats have capped to help weaker/screwed areas, when you actually need it.

Even if this were your mindset, a few characters max stats so early that there is benefit to getting them a level up per chapter.

Well, I think that it's perfectly understandable to use BEXP for a short term gain rather than saving it up to use in the future. Really, it depends on the situation. If you're in Part 1, and you want characters to promote ASAP, it's probably more intelligent to push them towards promotion in the here and now rather than helping their stats later in Part 3.

I think this is incorrect, for a few reasons. First, characters who cap stats in tier 1 and have their average stat gain per level dip below 3.0 (such that it is more beneficial to use BEXP level ups) are strictly limited to Micaiah, Edward, and Leo. Now, it's doubtful that Micaiah or Leo would even be able to reach a high enough level for this to be significant, and Eddie is pretty subpar in HM. So you're basically left to cap stats in tier 2 for the DB, which doesn't happen until 3-12 at the earliest. You get a handsome amount of BEXP from 1-8, 1-9, 1-E, and 3-6 for tier 2 use.

Second, the amount of BEXP it takes to, for example, supplement a tier 1 level is likely less than half as much as that required to supplement a tier 2 level. For example, giving 100 EXP at 11/0 costs 1200 BEXP, while giving 100 EXP at --/11 costs 3200 BEXP. Additionally, we're not even giving full levels of BEXP at a time in tier 1, but we want to in tier 2 once stats are capped (this is partially because the DB only have 2 viable BEXP chapters in 3-6, so no time for slowplaying).

I wonder why its suggested to BEXP characters to .99' before a chapter. Isn't it better to use less BEXP on them? Instead of BEXPing them to .99 I could BEXP them to .89 or .70ish it would save BEXP and the character would still level up with any CEXP they receive. I wonder if doing that would be more helpful or not really make a difference. What do you think?

Suppose that you have unit A, who is at 11/0 0EXP at the beginning of a chapter. Suppose that we BEXP him to 99 in the base, which costs 1188 BEXP (example 1). Now suppose that we BEXP him to 70 instead, which costs 840 BEXP (example 2). Unit A gains 30 CEXP over the course of the chapter (ostensibly from a kill). In the next chapter's base, unit A ex. 1 is at 12/0 29EXP, while unit A ex. 2 is at 12/0 0EXP.

Next, we BEXP unit A to an arbitrary EXP threshold in the base. I'll use use 99EXP for simplicity. Unit A ex. 1 costs 910 BEXP to reach 12/0 99EXP; unit A ex. 2 costs 1287 BEXP to reach 12/0 99EXP.

In total, ex. 1 cost 2098 BEXP while ex. 2 cost 2127 BEXP to reach the same point. You save 29 BEXP, which, granted, is worth 1 EXP at 20/8 (i.e. miniscule), but it's still a small savings, nonetheless.

Edited by dondon151

Suppose that you have unit A, who is at 11/0 0EXP at the beginning of a chapter. Suppose that we BEXP him to 99 in the base, which costs 1188 BEXP (example 1). Now suppose that we BEXP him to 70 instead, which costs 840 BEXP (example 2). Unit A gains 30 CEXP over the course of the chapter (ostensibly from a kill). In the next chapter's base, unit A ex. 1 is at 12/0 29EXP, while unit A ex. 2 is at 12/0 0EXP.

Next, we BEXP unit A to an arbitrary EXP threshold in the base. I'll use use 99EXP for simplicity. Unit A ex. 1 costs 910 BEXP to reach 12/0 99EXP; unit A ex. 2 costs 1287 BEXP to reach 12/0 99EXP.

In total, ex. 1 cost 2098 BEXP while ex. 2 cost 2127 BEXP to reach the same point. You save 29 BEXP, which, granted, is worth 1 EXP at 20/8 (i.e. miniscule), but it's still a small savings, nonetheless.

Well, except example 1 has you level up on the first attack and now you get less exp per combat than before. Example 2 you'll be at level 11 while fighting so probably instead of 30 exp during the chapter you'd get 32 or something. As a result, the bexp needed will probably be about the same for each example. It may not cancel perfectly, but over time it will probably be advantageous one way or the other and so it'll be close enough.

It's still good to go to 99 for abusers so that you only have to make one action. If you only go to 85 or something they need a kill to level rather than just any action. And even if you aren't, that still means you'll get that level earlier in the chapter and the bonuses might help you earlier.

Well, except example 1 has you level up on the first attack and now you get less exp per combat than before. Example 2 you'll be at level 11 while fighting so probably instead of 30 exp during the chapter you'd get 32 or something. As a result, the bexp needed will probably be about the same for each example. It may not cancel perfectly, but over time it will probably be advantageous one way or the other and so it'll be close enough.

It's still good to go to 99 for abusers so that you only have to make one action. If you only go to 85 or something they need a kill to level rather than just any action. And even if you aren't, that still means you'll get that level earlier in the chapter and the bonuses might help you earlier.

Using .90 BEXP instead of .99 still allows the character to hit and level up, unless you're using Sothe/Volug/Overleveled character.

Using .99 BExp DOES allow characters to gain a level by dodging an attack or missing their own attacks, though gee_wiz_emoticon.gif... of course, this is highly situational...

On a similar note though, BEXPing laguz to .99 probably helps a lot more BEXPing them to .90, because a lot of them are gaining 1 experience point per kill.

Using .90 BEXP instead of .99 still allows the character to hit and level up, unless you're using Sothe/Volug/Overleveled character.

Using .99 BExp DOES allow characters to gain a level by dodging an attack or missing their own attacks, though gee_wiz_emoticon.gif... of course, this is highly situational...

On a similar note though, BEXPing laguz to .99 probably helps a lot more BEXPing them to .90, because a lot of them are gaining 1 experience point per kill.

That, and in HM you only get 5 exp for an equal-level attack. In order to get 10 exp for an attack, you need to be at least 9 levels below what you are fighting. In other words, unless you are fighting against laguz (bonus +5 exp) you probably are not going to be getting 10 exp. Generally 3 to 8 is pretty common for hits in HM depending on who is attacking what (and provided you aren't talking part 2, given the number of really low-leveled enemies).

Well it depends. DB definitely want to work that way, since they have such piddling amounts of BEXP that they can't just straight up boost level after level like the GM could. The GM though I feel are able to save up a good amount if only just for that cause.

I use that strategy sometimes, when I'm nearing a level. But not enough to throw precious BEXP away carelessly.

Although, I don't use this very much on the DB, since BEXP is scarce for them and better saved for later.

I tend to do the 99 thing on those units that need it, and let the others level at their own pace. I dump BEXP on units who have maxed at least 3 stats (in the case of a certain ditzy staff user, 4 stats). I have yet to be disappointed.

I think this is incorrect, for a few reasons. First, characters who cap stats in tier 1 and have their average stat gain per level dip below 3.0 (such that it is more beneficial to use BEXP level ups) are strictly limited to Micaiah, Edward, and Leo. Now, it's doubtful that Micaiah or Leo would even be able to reach a high enough level for this to be significant, and Eddie is pretty subpar in HM. So you're basically left to cap stats in tier 2 for the DB, which doesn't happen until 3-12 at the earliest. You get a handsome amount of BEXP from 1-8, 1-9, 1-E, and 3-6 for tier 2 use.

Laura, Ilyana, and on the real low end, Aran are also decent picks if in use. Laura especially should get BEXP enough to level up, maybe get two level ups in a chapter. And she does dip below for the last level anyway. Spirit Dust/Secret Book speeds that up. Aran is at 3 for the last two levels(status quo is also better to avoid being screwed), and Ilyana is in most of the game, so keeping her up will help and she's very quick to get better in tier 2.

Mich should probably look for a level up instead of going to 99 - if she gets a point of speed/strength(mostly speed), you're really better off, and she should be level 20 my the end of 1-9 anyway.

Also, to get more out of BEXP, stat boosters should be going to characters who would, most likely, max that stat out earliest. Like Spirit Dust to Mich/Laura.