If Gaiden Gets Remade...

Randoman

There's going to be a lot of things that'll have to be redone gameplay wise. While Fire Emblem Gaiden wasn't bad, it needs quite a few tweaks to make it play more like other FEs (and prevent people from getting stuck permanently and having to restart their file).

So basically, I want you guys to help me make a list of things that a Gaiden Remake would need, or could use. So ridiculous things like Sigurd being ressurected and owning all the enemies would be out of the question, while reasonable additions like some form of support conversations or changeable paired endings would be acceptable.

Let's see, there's:

- Implementing Axe Users (assuming they're adding the weapon triangle to the game).

- Boosted Growths for all the characters in general (especially poor Robin), except for maybe the Pegasus Sisters.

- Fixing up the whole getting stuck at the Dragon Lair event so it isn't as ridiculous (I wanted to restart my file after Alm's team got trapped there).

- Removing the Slayer to Villager Promotion (although I'd be okay with them keeping it, IS would probably do it for balancing reasons).

- giving the villagers a triangle attack (not needed. But I'm betting IS would add one anyways).

- Fix up the Cellica's team getting stuck at the final battle event (so people who underlevelled won't be stuck. Maybe some sort of levelling up place would work).

- Have Alm's team have some sort of really good levelling up place (like the Lost Forest in Cellica's map, though not with the whole getting lost problem).

- Speaking of the lost forest, they need some sort of safeguard to make sure that no one gets permanently stuck. Perhaps some sort of item that warps you back to the start.

- Have healers get experience when they use white magic spells, and raise Nosferatu's accuracy a little.

- Fix up some of Cellica's swamp maps so that they're not practically fully composed of swamps.

- Make experience as easy to get in easy mode in all modes, since the little experience normal mode gave made the game more tedious, rather than challenging.

Can you guys think of any more?

Also, if you disagree with any of my suggestions, feel free to say so and explain why.

Edited by Randoman

-More units.

-Gaiden chapters.

-3rd tiers stay.

-Dracoknight/Falcoknight options.

-No more losing HP when you cast a spell.

-Skills for characters.

I think the problem is you seem to think it has to be redone to match the other fire emblems.

:/

Well, since the FE 1 and FE 3 DS remakes have had changes that make them more like the later FEs, I'm assuming they'd do the same with Gaiden.

I'm still wanting infinite weapon usage and HP magic costs to stay, along with having no shops, so I don't want to change the game completely.

Though at the very least, you agree with me on changing the game, so it's harder to get stuck to the point where you need to restart your file, right? Points 3, 6, and 8 in my first post are areas where people can get stuck easily. I mean, sure I understand you not liking how games nowadays are easier, but that doesn't mean that they should be impossible if you make a wrong decision.

Make Spells into Tomes

Add Weapon Durability

Add Con

Add Res growths

Add Armories with Iron Weapons (with Certain Steel and Certain Silver Weapons on Certain Maps)

Add Bosses to every Map

Add these to everyones Growths:

HP +40%

Str+15%

Skl+10%

Spd+10%

Lck+10%

Def+ 5%

That's all I can think of Right now =P

Here, these are the changes that should actually happen:

-Show pre-battle hit percentages, damage, etc

-Show movement ranges

I agree with this completely and would like to note two other changes, even though both would be guaranteed anyway:

1. Increase the game speed so that it's not like watching grass grow. Basically, just keep the usual enemy phase skip stuff from the past two games and it's all good.

2. Assuming I remember what Nitrodon was saying about the RNG, I'd say it needs a massive overhaul. Would be nice if certain items actually had a chance of appearing more than once in a million years, you know?

I'm not sure the game should be changed in any major way though, since there is some appeal in keeping it as the completely weird entry in the series. (Of course, I highly doubt it will ever get remade for that very reason.)

I do not agree with changing it to be more like other FEs as I love Gaiden as it is. There are some improvements it could make and they go as thus.

1. Make it faster, as many have stated. Much as I love gaiden, it's sloooooowwwww.

2. Could do with a bit more enemy density. Bunch of maps with so few enemies despite how damn tough they are just makes the game feel a bit barren unless you're fighting monsters.

3. Some spell lists for characters sort of need some tweaking (BOWIE)

4. Could we please have it so that promotion does not immediately kill character identity? The game is basically "Get to promotion ASAP because growths mean dick thanks to promotion gains".

My only criticisms.

As fun as normal Gaiden is, the fact is that the thirteenth (or technically 14th) installment in a series that has, for the most part, changed as little as FE should stay similar to the recent titles. Especially since Americans, Australians, and Europeans have, for the most part, never experienced the original Gaiden. If it's remade, it needs to be overhauled or it will most likely fail in Japan and will almost definitely fail in America, Europe, Australia, and wherever else it might go.

The only thing that I'm looking forward to the remake of it would be all listed above.

If the game doesn't get remade then they probably should just put the NES game on the Wii channel or something.

If Gaiden gets remade, I will probably be very happy with Inteligence Systems (lol, that takes a lot). I loved Fe Gaiden, I just hated the mages and the fact that spells used up HP. It killed my characters many times.

So for those of you who didn't like how magic consumed HP, how would you rather have magic work? I mean, you can't just expect it to be without a cost (well, it's understandable with spells like Fire and Heal, which are really basic), because that would be too cheap, and enemies would really abuse it. And you can forget about making tomes with uses and shops, since it wouldn't transition well with Gaiden's gameplay.

• 2 weeks later...

So for those of you who didn't like how magic consumed HP, how would you rather have magic work? I mean, you can't just expect it to be without a cost (well, it's understandable with spells like Fire and Heal, which are really basic), because that would be too cheap, and enemies would really abuse it. And you can forget about making tomes with uses and shops, since it wouldn't transition well with Gaiden's gameplay.

How about the mage not being able to move for a certain amount of turns after casting a spell (barring Fire, Heal, and Nosferatu, the basic spells and the ones used in self defense)?

It would stop enemies from being able to stand on a healing tile and spamming Messiah.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually liked FE2's idea of using HP to cast magic, which lets you freely use Excalibur as much as you want as long as you can assure that the character will be healed later. Dute+Quick Ring+Aura solo'd a lot of bosses for me.

But as for any changes the remake should make, I think it should be possible for you to have your mages equipped with a specific spell so that they don't get stuck using Fire in every single Enemy Phase.

I think magic users getting hurt to use their own abilities is alittle ridiculous. But I wouldn't mind seeing Gaiden remade exactly as it was.

I'm really interested in some of these charatcers*, so I hope Gaiden does get remade.

*Mostly Teeta, and what makes her so much better than Nyna in Caekus' eyes.

they could probably employ some sort of "magic bar" or something of that nature and depending on the magic's power would reduce the bar accordingly, and once the bar is empty the character couldn't fight at all. it could be recovered with special items or something.

it would kinda be like the laguz's transformation bar, except that it's only reduced when you actually use magic.

actually, i'm kinda surprised that they don't do this already

Edited by Bianchi

I think magic users getting hurt to use their own abilities is alittle ridiculous. But I wouldn't mind seeing Gaiden remade exactly as it was.

I'm really interested in some of these charatcers*, so I hope Gaiden does get remade.

*Mostly Teeta, and what makes her so much better than Nyna in Caekus' eyes.

I think its because she's basically Nyna without the possible political turmoil. Ever notice how they look exactly alike and even act similar?

Edited by Emperor Hardin

That's a pretty big leap to take considering Teeta gets like 4 lines and they're all OH NO WE MUST SAVE ZEKE HE DOESNT KNOW IM SAVED AND HATES THE WAR.

Exactly! I hate Nintendo for it. They use a friggin' Nyna face edit to wreck Nyna's one chance at happiness. What was the point of that? The ending of how Marth rules the world may be a factor, but it's a weak reason - Nyna is rather ill-fitted to rule anyway - she would've most likely ran away with Caekus instead of continuing with Akaneia.

Exactly! I hate Nintendo for it. They use a friggin' Nyna face edit to wreck Nyna's one chance at happiness. What was the point of that? The ending of how Marth rules the world may be a factor, but it's a weak reason - Nyna is rather ill-fitted to rule anyway - she would've most likely ran away with Caekus instead of continuing with Akaneia.

So the fact that Gaiden is a NES game, as such involving many recolors or limited dialogue as Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light has nothing to do with it...? <_<

As for the point, well, that was the choice they made for his story. Not everyone has to like how a story goes, true, but not bash against it either for personal opinions.

So the fact that Gaiden is a NES game, as such involving many recolors or limited dialogue as Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light has nothing to do with it...? As for the point, well, that was the choice they made for his story. Not everyone has to like how a story goes, true, but not bash against it either for personal opinions.

That's part of the point. Nyna and Caekus have very unique profiles in that they are the only characters to have a clear cut profile, and in Gaiden Caekus and Teeta are the only ones. It's symbolism, amongst many other things.

And yeah, I didn't mention the dialogue at all, so that has nothing to do with it.

I'm not bashing the story, I'm merely stating my opinion. Are we not allowed to discuss storyline as we discuss characters and stats?

Edited by Maria's bro