Super Trainee Classes

I have a save file of chapter 9 (before choosing to go to Eirika or Ephraim) and I'm going for my third playthrough. In order to unlock the super trainee class (as the last promoting class they can promote to of course) do I need to start from scratch? As in from chapter 1 or can I start from chapter 9 and choose my route?

Super Trainees, IMO, aren't that good. For Ross, it's pointless because you get the 15 crit boost anyway if you go for Berserker and the defense he gets as a pirate outways most of the Trainee bonuses. My Ross had 16 defense by level 20 Pirate. Only 7 speed, to be sure, but the Trainee isn't gonna help that.

Super Trainees, IMO, aren't that good. For Ross, it's pointless because you get the 15 crit boost anyway if you go for Berserker and the defense he gets as a pirate outways most of the Trainee bonuses. My Ross had 16 defense by level 20 Pirate. Only 7 speed, to be sure, but the Trainee isn't gonna help that.

Ross' is useless, but Ewan's and Amelia's are not too terrible. ST Ewan is the only guy (minus hacking glitches etc.) to be able to fling all magic. No staves though. ST Amelia is the only lance user to get the +15 crit, and if I remember, she had decent caps too.

Edited by IntegerZero

Amelia is the only super trainee I'm interested in, it annoys me that Ephraim promotes to obtain a horse and lances only :/ I already have Seth, Franz, Kyle, and Forde for that and they could use swords as paladdins. I just really like the on-foot soldier class :). At least Eirika can be edited to have on foot promotion (her beta animation) but Ephraim doesn't :( so I only get Amelia as my foot-lancer for FE8.

Personally, I think that the only thing Super Trainees are good for is novelty. Not getting a con bonus screws them over. As for the Super Trainees themselves... Ross's is useless, seeing as it's just a watered-down Berserker. Amelia... Eh, I say she's better off as a Paladin (or anything else, for that matter). As for Ewan, having all 3 magic types sounds nice on paper, but I don't think it's all that great in actual execution.

Personally, I think that the only thing Super Trainees are good for is novelty. Not getting a con bonus screws them over. As for the Super Trainees themselves... Ross's is useless, seeing as it's just a watered-down Berserker. Amelia... Eh, I say she's better off as a Paladin (or anything else, for that matter). As for Ewan, having all 3 magic types sounds nice on paper, but I don't think it's all that great in actual execution.

It's not. I took one file at chapter 16, with none of the trainees being used, and copied the file to another file. So I had two of the same file. I then went and made Ross, Amelia, and Ewan into Berserker, General, and Summoner respectively, my normal setup for them. On the other save file I made them Super Trainees. Level 10/20/20 all, and the Super Trainees failed in comparison to the others.

• 8 months later...

Well, IIRC, the super trainee caps got seriously screwed over when the game was localized.

They did. They also lost the con bonus. I don't quite understand why this was done. Shouldn't they get something really worth it since you have to beat the game twice?

Crap. I just noticed that I necroposted. D:

Edited by Nyan