More miscellaneous FE7 questions

Glenn Magus Harvey

1. Do thieves tend to run away, even if they haven't stolen anything? The thief with the lockpick in chapter 15 just did that, when I backed other units away to avoid having my own stuff stolen, but before I could sic my own thief on him. (Though I did pick up three new vulnerary packs. I kinda enjoy mugging characters--have Matthew steal, then have two other characters move in for a kill.)

2. If a unit with a droppable item is killed across a wall, does the victorious unit still automatically get the item? Or what do I have to do?

1. Do thieves tend to run away, even if they haven't stolen anything? The thief with the lockpick in chapter 15 just did that, when I backed other units away to avoid having my own stuff stolen, but before I could sic my own thief on him. (Though I did pick up three new vulnerary packs. I kinda enjoy mugging characters--have Matthew steal, then have two other characters move in for a kill.)

Given that the thief in 7x ran away when I got to the chest that he was after first, I guess so...

2. If a unit with a droppable item is killed across a wall, does the victorious unit still automatically get the item? Or what do I have to do?

I don't see why not...

1. most thief's AI is set to pillage chests and open doors, when there are no chests or doors left (or they are blocked) they will leave the battlefield. they will only steal if you stand in their way (and are not yet retreating).

...I think...

2. yes you do, I never thought about this, it is actually quite weird. (even with siege tomes you will get the item)

It's usually safe to assume that the only function an enemy thief serves is to attempt to pilfer any chests in the area and then retreat from the battle. However, there are some thieves that will merely attempt to steal items from you (the one in NLoC stands out...)

However, there are some exceptions, which will require that you play through the chapter to discover. The thief in Kinship's Bond will steal the Brave Axe and then 10,000 gold, and then head north toward downed Nils. I hate thieves honestly.

• 2 weeks later...

4. If I don't ever use the arenas, and I always take the lowest-leveled characters into battle, can I expect my non-promoted units to hit level 20 in a reasonable timeframe? Or, alternatively, how useful are the arenas--are they almost required, or can I just ignore them completely?

Edited by Glenn Magus Harvey

4. If I don't ever use the arenas, and I always take the lowest-leveled characters into battle, can I expect my non-promoted units to hit level 20 in a reasonable timeframe?

No. It becomes even less likely if you happen to use many of these.

Or, alternatively, how useful are the arenas--are they almost required, or can I just ignore them completely?

They're not required so you can ignore them completely.

Edited by Sirius

4. If I don't ever use the arenas, and I always take the lowest-leveled characters into battle, can I expect my non-promoted units to hit level 20 in a reasonable timeframe?

Why bother. You really don't need to raise more than 11-15 characters a playthrough.

Or, alternatively, how useful are the arenas--are they almost required, or can I just ignore them completely?

Don't need them. You get more than enough gems and some stat up items (useless ones like Secret Books and Goddess Icons) that you can sell throughout the game that you won't possibly need to use them.

Edited by Princess_Priscilla

I've never tried doing that myself, personally, but I'm pretty sure you'd end up pretty badly underleveled. You'd still be able to beat the game (seeing as people are able to do it with 0% growths), but it would make it much more difficult than it needs to be.

Oh, don't worry, I'm not letting Marcus eat up much. He's mainly doing backup, meatshielding, and sitting aroudn Merlinus. He should get a support with Merlinus...

My Lyn is level 11 as of the beginning of chapter 16, the other two lords are around level 4, returning characters from Lyn's story are levels 6-9, and new ones are just below that.

Edited by Glenn Magus Harvey

Actually, no, Hector's at 5. For some reason I've never found a good enough reason to use Eliwood.

Level him!

Eliwood, if you're half-lucky, will end up with decent stats. If you're not, he'll lose an arm wrestling match to Lyn. He's not my all-time favorite lord, but he does his job well enough.

There's a certain chapter with a very abusable arena that can get Eliwood up to snuff. . .

Ewww, those are some stinky levels for Eliwood and Hector. Like eclipse said, theres one pretty good arena to abuse in an upcoming chapter.

. For some reason I've never found a good enough reason to use Eliwood.

While he isnt the greatest thing since sliced bread, he does add to the team as a whole. Especially after promotion. He gains a mount that allows more utility since his offense is never great.

Edited by Florina

I've personally found Eliwood alright, and stands out more from the group after promotion for obvious reasons. It's fun making him S lances while Hector goes and gets S in swords.

But I usually like using the lowest-leveled characters, and leveling them al up!

It's actually a good idea to do that in some chapters to keep the EXP rank from going down. Also a great way to find out which characters suck and who are badass.

Oh, don't worry, I'm not letting Marcus eat up much. He's mainly doing backup, meatshielding, and sitting aroudn Merlinus. He should get a support with Merlinus...

Also not wanting to overuse him either as he will just lower your EXP rank.

It's actually a good idea to do that in some chapters to keep the EXP rank from going down. Also a great way to find out which characters suck and who are badass.

This sounds like ENM. It's not particularly difficult to get the EXP rank, even wit a set team.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've now restarted Chapter 16 many, many times. This is due to:

* Eliwood dying once

* Priscilla dying once

* Wil dying once

* Florina dying once

* killing off the first knight before stealing his item

* killing off the last knight before stealing his item

* Raven killing one Caelin soldier

* Raven killing three Caelin soldiers

* and one time due to my feeling generally pissed at some really crappy level-up bonuses.

There was one time this current run that they could have killed Bartre but they were apparently too stupid to do so.

5. What are the calculations for stat penalties due to aiding? I can't find them on the calculations page on our calculations page for FE 7.

Well, I've now restarted Chapter 16 many, many times. This is due to:

* Eliwood dying once

* Priscilla dying once

* Wil dying once

* Florina dying once

* killing off the first knight before stealing his item

* killing off the last knight before stealing his item

* Raven killing one Caelin soldier

* Raven killing three Caelin soldiers

* and one time due to my feeling generally pissed at some really crappy level-up bonuses.

There was one time this current run that they could have killed Bartre but they were apparently too stupid to do so.

5. What are the calculations for stat penalties due to aiding? I can't find them on the calculations page on our calculations page for FE 7.

Are you having Priscilla run to Raven at urgent-bathroom speeds? If done correctly, she should take 8 damage at most (from the pesky archer).

Are you having Priscilla run to Raven at urgent-bathroom speeds? If done correctly, she should take 8 damage at most (from the pesky archer).

Well, actually, I could simply have stuck Marcus, Sain, Kent, and Lowen in the front, carried Priscilla at high speed to Raven, and brushed off the few arrow hits they'd take from doing so.

Though, instead, I decided to advance it a harder way. I'm finished with the mission now. Hector is now level 9, Eliwood level 6, the three Caelin soldiers found a red gem in the treasury, I used up two vulnerary packs (because I purposely tried to do so), and stole two more as well as two door keys, Lyn and Wil pilfered the chests, Lyn got to taunt the boss, Eliwood got to level up on him, and I'm now facing a bunch of pirates. I do credit Guy with really really helping out at the beginning. He critted one of the first two archers, allowing me to advance a bunch of my units forward faster than expected, saving me a whole turn--which then saved me a turn in getting to Raven, so that Raven got to run over to get Lucius before the three Caelin soldiers broke out and blocked his way, so he'd also take one less turn to recruit Lucius.

And damn, Fargus is the strongest character I've yet seen--level 18 in a promoted class. The good thing, though, is that I don't have to fight him, and I also have a ton of axe-wielders around to fight--this should be Eliwood's, Raven's, and Guy's turns to shine. And by "shine" I mean "gain heaps of XP".

But it'll be tough stealing those vulneraries from those three high-level units in the middle of the map. Let's see how this works out.