What would you like to see in a new FE

Alternatively, just make another fucking Advance Wars, since it's been sooooo long and I need another.

as long as it's like the GBA advance wars, I say I agree. I didn't like the DS one though...

oops, off topic

what I'd like to see is...uhmmm....

animation difference between evading and blocking (adding a calculation for block)

and change rescue to something more logical. get the rescued unit in the animation, with the rescuer unable to evade to protect the rescued unit. unless it's a mounted rescuer of course...

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it'd be interesting if Intelligent Systems experimented with an Action Command system during battles, like in the Mario RPGs. Something simple, like hitting A at the right time during the attack for a 30% increase in damage. And you could use it for defense, too, and the timing could vary by class and by weapon. Might make the battle sequences a bit more engaging. Might make it awful. I dunno.

Agree with choosing a commander (from a limited set, though. Meg isn't allowed to command my army.)

Agree with New Game+ with characters accessible whenever. I want to use those poor guys who never had a chance.

Agree with more Lyn/Eliwood/Hector mode style choices.

More multi-part chapters, like that one in FE9 or the ones in FE4 I think? Or even the ones in FE Gaiden.

Maybe some lightweight axe users? lightweight axes?

Casual mode to be present in all future FE games so people stop complaining about permadeath.

And make required characters worth using, ffs.

I think it'd be interesting if Intelligent Systems experimented with an Action Command system during battles, like in the Mario RPGs. Something simple, like hitting A at the right time during the attack for a 30% increase in damage. And you could use it for defense, too, and the timing could vary by class and by weapon. Might make the battle sequences a bit more engaging. Might make it awful. I dunno.

I would hate this on the basis that it would force me to play with animations on (which takes a ton of time, by the way) for a rather significant damage increase.

Character diversity established through something other than portraits and vague stat probabilities.

They should probably consider either changing the time period a bit. A new age game would have an interesting feel, especially if the story was good.

Flesh out magic. Other games have already done this in this genre, but even if it's just secondary, things like an alchemist who could do things like improve weapons metal and alter items, a Bard for temporary buffs, something like that.

Skills, and more interesting and dynamic ones. Really, they could go as far as one original skill per character and it would help the game. Hell, link it to personality if you have to.

And flesh out supports, for that matter. Maybe even consider adding support levels.

Multiple paths for multiple characters. Hell, even if they use all the same chapters and it only changes order, it could be interesting.

And maybe the ability to personalize your game with like, a field general or something. An interesting an fresh idea, allow the player to pick one character in your army to serve as the secondary leader(considering usually, the main character is royalty), coupled with boosts.

Essentially, borrow from other games without losing the mostly simplistic stat system, static characters, and weapon system.

It won't happen. It'll either be a remake or a half assed effort. But what can you do.

No, they just think they are. They were already proven wrong by Hatari, and after FE10 Ike disappears to go sail away to see if the other continents really are gone or if it's just Tellius and Hatari. But even then if they are the only ones left, it would just mean Tellius is last in the timeline.

There's more issue with their creation story (which may actually be problematic) than anything else.

Wasn't Hatari across a desert or somesuch? That would fit in with the Tellius theory that they're the only ones.

I didn't remember if Yune was the one that said everything else went under the sea. If she did, then that's going to be hard to argue. If not, then there's a chance for "ZOMG we didn't explore far enough!"

Wasn't Hatari across a desert or somesuch? That would fit in with the Tellius theory that they're the only ones.

I didn't remember if Yune was the one that said everything else went under the sea. If she did, then that's going to be hard to argue. If not, then there's a chance for "ZOMG we didn't explore far enough!"

Yune and Ashera are not omniscient. There are many things they don't know about. I don't remember if they knew about Hatari, and they definitely didn't know about the Branded.

Oh, something else I'd love to see: BLOOD. Seriously. So far we've only seen blood once, and that was in FE6 where... you guys know. If I stab someone with a sword, I expect them to cry out in pain and or blood to spurt out of the stab wound, not a random sound. If I use Dark magic to suck the life out of someone, they should be screaming for their lives. Of course, there should be an option to turn the blood off and how high it can be, but at least it would give me a good reason to play with animations on.

Also, yeah, I have to agree with the "changing the leader" thing. For example, Ike may be a great general and all, but isn't someone like Caineghis or Tibarn more qualified to lead a charge against a damn goddess? Or in FE8. Yes, Eirika, you're a good princess and all, but Seth and Duessel are way more qualified to lead armies. It would work, as long as they don't make ANYONE be able to be a leader (For example, having a puny little kid from a village in Renais lead the final charge against the Demon King is entirely wrong and stupid.)

Hoo boy I have a few disagreements here:

Oh, something else I'd love to see: BLOOD. Seriously.

When blood appears the game's rating goes almost straight to M (ESRB, 16+ PEGI) meaning you risk losing a sizable portion of the series' already fairly small audience.

So far we've only seen blood once, and that was in FE6 where... you guys know.

I don't but never mind.

If I stab someone with a sword, I expect them to cry out in pain and or blood to spurt out of the stab wound, not a random sound.

Not everybody enjoys violence, y'know. Some of us use games as escapism and violence is very real and can be upsetting.

If I use Dark magic to suck the life out of someone,

I, like several characters from the game, resent dark magic being portrayed in evil ways: it's not evil, just aesthetically sinister and powerful.

they should be screaming for their lives.

Gruesome.

Of course, there should be an option to turn the blood off and how high it can be,

The highest setting will be what they rate the game for (see above)

but at least it would give me a good reason to play with animations on.

... I'm not quite sure what's going through your head but I can't see eye-to-eye with this opinion.

Also, yeah, I have to agree with the "changing the leader" thing. For example, Ike may be a great general and all, but isn't someone like Caineghis or Tibarn more qualified to lead a charge against a damn goddess? Or in FE8. Yes, Eirika, you're a good princess and all, but Seth and Duessel are way more qualified to lead armies. It would work, as long as they don't make ANYONE be able to be a leader (For example, having a puny little kid from a village in Renais lead the final charge against the Demon King is entirely wrong and stupid.)

I agree that some variety would be a welcome change but it's well established that most lords/commanders are known not to be the best commanders in the group but serve well as figureheads. If you don't believe me look up the script for when Sanaki made Ike the general in Radiant Dawn.

Oh, and I don't mean to offend with this analysis but I just disagree with violence in games. I just don't enjoy it at all and can't understand how people think it adds to their gaming experience (besides realism which I don't think is worth compromising for).

Edited by Byte2222

I, like several characters from the game, resent dark magic being portrayed in evil ways: it's not evil, just aesthetically sinister and powerful.

isn't it called ancient magic in FE7(Canas and Pent support), and Spirit magic in FE10. or am I mistaken?

Doesn't it still involve sucking the life out of people in either case?

Nosferatu drains HP. If HP is life force then life force can be replenished by herbs, healing potions and the gap between battles. I prefer to think of HP as stamina and most spells discharge energy at their target but nosferatu siphons energy (of more physical, tangible kinds) from the target to the caster, leaving the target exhausted from the energy drain.

Edited by Byte2222

I second the blood notion. There is some in FE10 I think, but if it is there, it hardly constitutes as realister per wound.

FE10 enemy spoiler

Of course, then you have people like Deghinsea who have 100HP (not as crazy with player-controled units) but still the amount of blood being spilled would be unrealistic unless they had the bloodloss/internal injurries etc. be in proportion to a character's def. and HP.

I would also like to see support convos COME BACK IN ALL THEIR GRAND, MASSIVE GLORY. After FE9, supports kinda... fainted (FE10) then died (I have yet to see support conversations in my FE11 file. Admittedly I'm not very far but I don't see and "real" convos coming up anytime soon.).

Character backstory is what makes FE so awesome imo. Therefore, it'd be cool for the writers to expand upon that. Like, have an optional bonus character chapter. LIke, if you get Forde and Franz to levl 16 each, you unlock a chapter where they go on a mission for Ephraim and play a map with just them, explaining backstory along the way. I realize this would be hard on the programmers and the writers, but it would be freak epic.

To expand the series and get FE followers at a younger age younger kids interested in FE, I think it would be good to have a sort of "FE Jr." Where you follow some of the characters from FE as kids and (again with backstory) learn the basics of FE while learning about the characters' childhoods. Of course all this would be easier fighting and all, and not the grandeos storylines

like killing a goddess

. Instead, something simpler, like Ike's training from Griel to become a mercenary. We'd get to see the three brothers join the Greil Mercenaries, see Ike meet Soren and get to know the verterans (Shinon, Gatrie, Griel and Titania) a little better. While they're away doing mercenary work, I'd imagine Rhys would babysit. A nice, relaxed game filled with childhood misadventures and (in place of boss fights) tests and spars that Griel throws Ike's way when he's not on a comission. It would also lead well into FE9 and give people a better attchment to the characters (not that it's neccessary, but it'd still be nice).

Speaking of kids, it'd be nice for epilogues to include more pictures of the characters'...well, epilogues. If a pairing I worked hard to get to support A gets married, I'd like to see some wedding pictures and if they have kids, I'd like to see them! It's not too much to ask for and it'd make epilogues more fulfilling.

FE Jr., huh? Well what about an FE Sr.?

It doesn't have to have blood, just a darker storyline. Maybe blood in CG's and stuff. And more cinematics with actual dialogue... I think every character should have a voice, kinda.

Does anyone else, when reading a character's dialogue, read it in what the character might sound like? <-- off topic, don't have to answer

Someone might have already said something to this effect, but it'd be cool if the main character was part of "badass pegasus knight country" or "badass wyvern rider country" instead of "general hometown where bad shit happens".

Maybe a wyvern rider lord would break the game or something if they were exceptionally awesome units ala Sigurd, Hector, Ike, etc and exceptionally awesome mobility/reach, so I'm mostly taking this from a story standpoint. There's a trend of Mountainous Wyvern Rider Land = bad guy place, except for the good guys you eventually get, and I don't know, you could probably make a pretty intriguing story out of the wyvern rider trainee whose country is, in the typical fashion of Fire Emblem, a load of political dung, and later on, in the typical fashion of Fire Emblem, wyvern rider trainee lord learns that dark forces are at work behind it, yadda yadda yadda.

I guess you could argue that FE10 did something like this at least country-wise, but c'mon, a lord on a dragon. Also lends itself well to a coming-of-age story ala FE9 because seriously, dragon-riding.

Does anyone else, when reading a character's dialogue, read it in what the character might sound like? <-- off topic, don't have to answer

Yes =D

A flying Lord could be interesting from a gameplay point of view too. I'd imagine this Lord would have other fliers instead of the overdone Red and Green cavaliers, meaning that archers could really be a threat for the early-game squad. Ballistae would also be interesting, both them and archers could in theory appear more as the game got more difficult.

FE Sr. sounds like the Berserk manga ^^.

I think the fact that I liked FE got me into Berserk because of the art style and similar "feudal/medieval fantasy Europe" settings. I like how most of the FE games handle the tone of the story-- they can get pretty dark.

meaning that archers could really be a threat for the early-game squad.

And, ironically, the biggest threat to your country is a society of effete bow-wielding woodlanders... with a thirst for Wyvern Rider Trainee Lord and Wyvern Oifey and Wyvern Abel/Cain's blood.

Some flying magic users ala GBA-era valkyries would be bitchin' too.

I want a lord like a mage fighter, but every type of weapon/spell/staff. Give them E-Rank in everything from the start, and cap everything at C-Rank in first tier. Cap everything at B or A in second tier (depending on the weapon level system caps in general). Your starting Prf weapon could be selected at the start, and the plot important one could be some sort of forge that incorporates the magic and strength stats. Average stat growths all around. ...Or at least give us a PoR Mist type character. With magic swords she basically had Sword, Staff, Wind, and Light. I just thought that was awesome.

Since IS seems to love reclassing and hate dismounting these days, I thought of a way to make reclassing more fun. And kinda like dismounting.

Reclassing would no longer be based on weight class - myrmidons can become mages, archers, etc and big guys can be armors, axe users, whatever- but instead, reclassing would be based on weapon type? or something. It'd work like this:

Cavaliers have horses. Armor knights have armor. Take the horse away from the cavalier, or the armor away from the knight, and presto, you've got a soldier! Then, you could give horses and armor and whatever else to other people to change their classes too.

Soldier + horse = cavalier.

Paladin + armor = Great knight

mage/sage + armor = some sort of armored mage

Archer + horse = whatever this class will be called

Mage + horse = mage knight!

Cleric + horse = troubadour

Archer + armor = armored archer? ballistician? Who knows!

Of course, you'd have a limited amount of this stuff. You'd have to take horses/armor/whatever away to give them to someone else, plus maybe a few spares. And maybe some classes, like great knight, can only be obtained through reclass, like shaman was in FEDS. I think it'd be more fun than the reclass system we have now.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE.

I WANT SOLDIERS' HEADS TO ROLL WHEN I CLEAVE THEM WITH MY AXE. I WANT ARTERIES TO BURST WHEN MYRMIDONS SLICE OPEN NECKS INTO RED FOUNTAINS. I WANT LANCES TO IMPALE MY ENEMIES AND CRACK RIBS.

I WANT FIRE TO BURN MY ENEMIES TO A SMOKING CRISP, THUNDER REDUCE THEM TO A CHARRED CORPSE, AND ICE TO SHATTER THEM INTO FROZEN BLOOD AND GORE.

I WANT LIGHT TO VAPORIZE MY ENEMIES, DARK TO RENDER THEM INTO A PILE OF ROTTING SLUDGE.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHMWAHAHAHAHAHA.

Or failing that, I'd like to see FE in a Renaissance/Ancient China/Feudal Japan/Gunpowder Europe era.

Edited by skitarii

Since IS seems to love reclassing and hate dismounting these days, I thought of a way to make reclassing more fun. And kinda like dismounting.

Reclassing would no longer be based on weight class - myrmidons can become mages, archers, etc and big guys can be armors, axe users, whatever- but instead, reclassing would be based on weapon type? or something. It'd work like this:

Cavaliers have horses. Armor knights have armor. Take the horse away from the cavalier, or the armor away from the knight, and presto, you've got a soldier! Then, you could give horses and armor and whatever else to other people to change their classes too.

Soldier + horse = cavalier.

Paladin + armor = Great knight

mage/sage + armor = some sort of armored mage

Archer + horse = whatever this class will be called

Mage + horse = mage knight!

Cleric + horse = troubadour

Archer + armor = armored archer? ballistician? Who knows!

Of course, you'd have a limited amount of this stuff. You'd have to take horses/armor/whatever away to give them to someone else, plus maybe a few spares. And maybe some classes, like great knight, can only be obtained through reclass, like shaman was in FEDS. I think it'd be more fun than the reclass system we have now.

That sounds awesome. :3 I'd miss having an army of mounted units (FE8 makes this mostly possible (though I haven't gotten enough class-up items to do that yet)) but this idea makes a lot of sense and I like it. ^_^

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE.

I WANT SOLDIERS' HEADS TO ROLL WHEN I CLEAVE THEM WITH MY AXE. I WANT ARTERIES TO BURST WHEN MYRMIDONS SLICE OPEN NECKS INTO RED FOUNTAINS. I WANT LANCES TO IMPALE MY ENEMIES AND CRACK RIBS.

I WANT FIRE TO BURN MY ENEMIES TO A SMOKING CRISP, THUNDER REDUCE THEM TO A CHARRED CORPSE, AND ICE TO SHATTER THEM INTO FROZEN BLOOD AND GORE.

I WANT LIGHT TO VAPORIZE MY ENEMIES, DARK TO RENDER THEM INTO A PILE OF ROTTING SLUDGE.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHMWAHAHAHAHAHA.

... :blink: ...Yeah... Not bad for realism, but it would probably scar young children. I wouldn't mind blood/broken bones so much myself, but the rating would quite possibly go up and limmit the recruitment of younger minds to join us the age groups and such. I'd be fine with it as long as that was a separate branch of FE and they kept on with the basics they have already established for the main FE.

Of course....I was semi-joking but I'd be okay with realistic violence.....heads didn't exactly roll back in the day.....even if you got shot by a ballista.

I think for the most part wounds weren't too visible on armor, although getting some bloodstains and lots of mud and dirt on clothing is pretty plausible.

Edited by skitarii