what classes/macanics from previous games do you think should make a reappearance in later FE titles?

Griffen78

Rescue/Shove/Canto

3 Tier Promotions

Multiple Parts to the story (like in RD)

RD's 'anyone can support with anyone' support system, but with the support convos expanded.

BEXP (FE9 style)

Soldiers playable

Multiple Lords

Autopromotion at level 21

Mastery/Class Skills

Battle Saves (except on Hard Mode).

Edited by NinjaMonkey

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Introduce a system where being screwed in a stat reduces the growth, and being blessed in a stat increases the growth. So we end up with some really insane characters!

If that happened in RD, I'd end up with a very, very slow Micaiah...

- Archers/Snipers get Knives, so I can start calling Jeorge Legolas.

- Full reclass (none of this Warrior-is-male-only business!). . .dunno how Peggies will be handled.

- All three major weapon types get weapons that are super-effective against Armors, Horses, and Dragons/Laguz/whatever (sorta like FE7).

- Soldier Lord with awesome growths.

- Multiple lords, with only one promotion being tied to the story.

- Awesome personalized support conversations.

- Hot guys who wield bows on horses.

- The Dancer/Bard rings.

- Anyone can visit a village.

- Gaidens with requirements that make sense.

- HHM Cog of Destiny, without the status effects.

If that happened in RD, I'd end up with a very, very slow Micaiah...

Initially, Micaiah is just as likely to be blessed as she is to be screwed. The game would compare the character's stats against their average and adjust their growth accordingly. So if Micaiah got 1 point of speed in her first two levels, she would have a higher chance of getting a second because she's above her average, but if she missed the growth in her first two levels, she would have a lower chance.

- All three major weapon types get weapons that are super-effective against Armors, Horses, and Dragons/Laguz/whatever (sorta like FE7).

I never really liked that. All the weapon types feel too similar as it is without making them even less unique than before.

Edited by Mr. Know-it-all-Anouleth

Unless I'm playing of course...

Well, yeah, but that's just like my Lowens who are either badly screwed in Str and Spd, or hideously blessed in Str with no Spd at all.

I'd welcome the change.

. . .or how I end up with a level 20 Lyn with single-digit Strength. . .or a max speed Eliwood at level 6 promoted. . .or any of the other random things that happens with the RNG.

If the game does that, why not make all growths ~50% and call it a day?

If the game does that, why not make all growths ~50% and call it a day?

No, it makes trends continue rather than even out.

And that's more Fixed Mode than anything. Speaking of which, an optional Fixed Mode.

Dismount for mounted units, while still allowing them to use their prefered weapon.

Capturing: Ditch droppable weapons and instead let high Con/Bld characters capture the enemy to steal their entire inventory! Add in the Theif staff and Fe5/9/10 steal mechanics and you won't need enemies to drop their stuff for you.

Fatigue: A nice mechanic that keeps units from being overused, and if you don't like being unable to use your gamebreaker for one chapter, there's stamina drinks(Have S Drinks in highly LIMITED number would make them more valuble, considering in FE5 you could buy as many as you wanted, provided you had the money.)

Branched promotions instead of reclass? Reclass is a welcome mechanic that gives you more options than branch promos, but then again I'd want a character to have a cannonical story-based reason for why he went from a Sage to a General, so yeah.

GBA-style support conversations.

FE9/10 Forge, possibly with more asthetic customization options(Assuming your in-battle weapon bears a unique apearance like in FE4/5/9/10).

- GBA style combat I like the flashyness

- 3rd tier promotion but please fix some classes :S

- decent online combat, like protect the throne or capture the throne (or both at the same time, capturing each other thrones)

- skills (FE10 style with FE9 mastery skills, FE10 mastery skills are too OP)

- 1 story line (I dislike training an army only to play with a whole new army, I don't mind for 1 or 2 chapters, but I dislike the multy army function in FE10)

- combination of FE9 and 10 support convo, make everyone support everyone but some people have a REAL conversation(like FE9).

- Laguz with formshift as mastery skill

- some others I forgot

Edited by Mister Cold

Fatigue, fatigue, fatigue. I cannot say it enough. Oh and PCC (that shit was awesome).

I mean, why field Fiona when you can field anyone else who's better than her? Fatigue will actually give you a reason to.

I honestly think that FE5 actually had the proper game mechanics right in order to create a truly fun but difficult game. Rather than field your best guys every chapter and forgetting about the useless shmucks. Hell, even Ronan had a use and he was an archer with a better Mag growth than Str.

I don't like fatigue. You're playing Fire Emblem, and you're using characters that you LIKE, that you enjoy using, and suddenly the game is all 'tough shit, you can't use them any more, you have to use some stupid dweeb you hate'. Don't give me any 'oh, we have to make things fair for the shitty units that IS made when drunk' shit. I don't want to use Fiona, or Mist, or even Zihark. It should be my choice who to use and who not to use. Fatigue takes choice away, when choice is actually the best thing about Fire Emblem.

. . .or how I end up with a level 20 Lyn with single-digit Strength. . .or a max speed Eliwood at level 6 promoted. . .or any of the other random things that happens with the RNG.

PEMN PEMN PEMN

^You, sir, are a genius.

Edited by Spykor

I'd like to see an expanded take on FE2's promotion branches.

For example: Character 1 can take Class X or Class Y upon reaching level 10 OR he can wait until level 20 and take Class Z.

You could also fold in FE4's leveling system into this. So, if the level cap is 50 you could be Base Class 10/Class X 40 OR Base Class 20/Class Z 30. This way you could have things like Class Z having better growths/skills than X or Y, but you don't have them for as long.

Oh, and we need the soldier class back. Lances are awesome.

Edited by Suichimo

Classes:

-Mounted Magic Users(Mage Knight/Troubadour/Valkyrie[FE8 Valkyrie, not Mist Valkyrie])

-More Dark Magic Users

-Go back to having "Mage" and "Sage" rather than "Wind Mage" and etc.

-Reintroduce the Shaman/Druid classes

-Mage Fighter Class(like in FE4)

Mechanics:

-3 tier promotions

-Split Promotions

-keep the different mounted knight classes (bow knight/sword knight etc.)

-weapon option upon promoting to pally(as in FE9)

-BEXP as in FE9, not the broken FE10 way

-FE9 Supports

-My Unit creation(as in FE12), but used as the Main Lord, and the different combinations of backgrounds/present/future could slightly change the storyline

Branched promotions. I love them. For me they single-handedly make FE8 as interesting as any other Fire Emblem, despite being laughably easy even with zero Seth use. =O

I don't like the idea of third tier units, though. I'd need to play FE10 to see if I like that. It just sounds like overkill.

Classes:

-Mounted Magic Users(Mage Knight/Troubadour/Valkyrie[FE8 Valkyrie, not Mist Valkyrie])

-More Dark Magic Users

-Go back to having "Mage" and "Sage" rather than "Wind Mage" and etc.

-Reintroduce the Shaman/Druid classes

-Mage Fighter Class(like in FE4)

Mechanics:

-3 tier promotions

-Split Promotions

-keep the different mounted knight classes (bow knight/sword knight etc.)

-weapon option upon promoting to pally(as in FE9)

-BEXP as in FE9, not the broken FE10 way

-FE9 Supports

-My Unit creation(as in FE12), but used as the Main Lord, and the different combinations of backgrounds/present/future could slightly change the storyline

I'd say FE9's Bexp is more broken then FE10's, you can just reset untill you have 5stat lvlups(or more) if you want to

I don't like the idea of third tier units, though. I'd need to play FE10 to see if I like that. It just sounds like overkill.

But you also have pseudo-third tier enemies. Only important difference is that they lack masteries. I almost wish they'd been given watered-down masteries, actually. Instead of the OHKO variety, just a skill that activates and does something. Probably weaker than the best fe9 masteries, but stronger than the worst ones.

Anyway, point is that you needed the stats of those third tier units or you were going to have a lot more trouble. Have fun wandering around with characters that get doubled by most enemies. And your swordmaster units that need to cap spd just to not get doubled by enemy swordmasters.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

I think FE10 could have been done perfectly with a 2 tier maximum. It would have alleviated some of the massive balance problems in the game. For one, you wouldn't have the DB units in a rush to get to 20/0 by the end of 1-E (which is generally only possible with units like Nolan who has base level 9/0 in 1-1), and you wouldn't have had to make the non-DB units so overpowered to make them usable later in the game (and most of them weren't even usable anyway). You also wouldn't end up with the only usable units in part 4 being 1 or 2 DB and the rest GMs. Replace 3rd tier masteries with Occults or something.

Edited by dondon151