Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 21: In Destruction's Wake

Phoenix

"What're you...?" Tas began, taking a small step beack before realizing that she was trying to check his temperature. Was he that ill? He didn't really have any objections to finding that out. Reaching behind his head, Tas undid the knot he'd tied and took off his forehead guard. "If you're trying to feel my forehead, it'd be a little difficult with this on," he remarked with his usual smile. For now, he was being compliant again and his symptoms weren't an immediate problem. Though lacking a fever, he was unknowingly a bit warm. (I'm still not going to just sit around especially not after only just joining this company. I'll have to just respectfully refuse.)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Derek

"... My sister was one of the sages that attacked us," Derek said, avoiding eye contact with Viveka. "She doesn't recognize me or anyone else, though. And, she calls herself Elle. No one is going to kill her just yet, but, I can tell, they eventually will. I'm probably going to have to leave." The cavalier sighed. "Nothing to worry yourself about, Miss Viveka."

Luc Altair and the Fargo

"So be it," Luc said. He went over to Thunder to assess the horse's condition.

"Oh, hey Captain," Fargo said with cheer.

Luc waved the man off and went back to dealing with Thunder.

"We may as well continue practicing while we can, right? The faster I can become proficient with axes, the sooner I can stop worrying about lancers." Aiya replied, looking around a bit as she thought.

'It isn't surprising that Lev was prepared for it... he has seen me fight, and knows I like to use melee...'

Spotting a red sheen nearby, Aiya moved towards it cautiously.

"What's that?" She asked no one in particular, before seeing what it was.

Lifting it up, it appeared to be a Killer Axe, which had belonged to a fallen bandit.

"Hey Lev, this is a nice looking axe. Does it look battle ready? If it is, I can use this, and you can take your axe back... it even saves me the trouble of buying one!" Aiya said ecstatically, allowing Levski to look the weapon over.

Irina

As Irina reached for Tas' forehead, she noticed his guard and her hand slowed to a stop. She felt she could scoot it up slightly but Tas solved the problem by simply removing it instead. She quickly felt his forehead trying to gauge his temperature. He wasn't particularly hot to the touch, but still warm enough to warrant some concern.

Irina: I'm not quite sure if you're heading for a fever or not. (Ah crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap-) Listen I think you're getting worse so stay here for a second while I see if anyone knows how to deal with this, okay?

Viveka

Viveka didn't like the answer she got from Derek, with or without his comment about leaving tagged on the end of it. Her shoulders rose up a bit as she replied.

Viveka: Don't say it's nothing to worry about. This is no time for you to play it off as no big deal. Your sister needs you right now whether or not she knows it and ...

She lowered her voice down to a mere utterance in closing.

Viveka: ... there's nothing wrong with being protective. (No don't go into that, don't.) I understand why you two might have to leave, and I'm going to worry about it if I feel like it, okay?

Levski

Aiya had agreed to continue on for the time being but quickly spotted something among the fallen. She retrieved an axe and allowed him to look it over. Lev raised an eyebrow as soon as he began inspecting it.

Lev: This is a killer axe ... in near mint condition. Yeah ... don't practice on me with these thing. Too easy to cause severe injuries.

"Just try to rest Beau. You should try not to exert yourself too much, we have a lot of traveling to do, and unfortunately we will probably have more healing to do as well. When I joined this group, I used my staff on any injury presented to me, but I soon learned that to help others you really have to take care of yourself first. You can't really help anyone if you've healed yourself into exhaustion." Charlotte said to Beau. "Let's just sit how we were earlier. Hopefully we won't get attacked again any time soon..."

Morgan mounted Trevor, as Tessa was apparently going in the carriage once again. Though she was not a very skilled rider, the old horse listened to directions well and was a smooth and easy ride. Some horses apparently do not need to be made more docile in order to be effective mounts. Perhaps if I need to borrow a horse in the future I should choose one that is less wild. she contemplated to herself.

Edited by -Cynthia-

"Alright," Tas agreed to wait as he began tying his guard back onto his forehead. He was oddly cheerful. "I hope I get a fever. Then I can make sure the eggs are warm myself for a while," he mused happily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Believe me: I will rest until recovered so long as circumstance allows," Beau replied, climbing onto the carrage after Charlotte got in. Indeed, the trick would be to persuade Beau that others needed the healing; not in trying to get him to rest. In fact as soon as he was seated, Beau leaned back and attempted to sleep again.

"I'm not sure who's sitting where," Arrin replied. "Why don't you get in first, I should probably go check with Kelas for what's going on now." He wasn't entirely sure if they were leaving yet or not.

-----------------------------------------

Kelas sighed. She would really rather not have to deal with Morgan too, but she knew that there was no way Morgan would somehow go away. "I wish we could just get her to shut up somehow. Maybe she'll get into an argument with Helios and they'll kill each other?" she suggested tiredly. "It isn't even effective, I don't care if she thinks she knows everything, bitching at unrelated people when there's an actual crisis doesn't help anything. I guess complaining about her when she isn't bothering us won't make it any easier to deal with, though..." She leaned her head against Isotov's shoulder. "Just try to remember that everyone else isn't her. Nobody else expects you to burst into flame now, I sure don't. And I don't think the others think I'm delusional. I do try to get her to shut up..." She trailed off, not really sure what else to say. The fact was, she couldn't do anything about it either, just try to shrug off the insults until they stopped.

-----------------------------------------

"Hey, er, sir?" Tobe piped up as Luc came over to deal with Thunder. "Did sommat happen to that horse? I en't ever met one was scared o' me before," he explained. He still hadn't moved out from under Amari.

Irina

Irina was only partially listening to Tas' reply and immediately began throwing up a generic answer in response.

Irina: Yeah, that'd be gr-NO! The last thing you need is a fever. Don't hope for that. (I guess it makes sense. He doesn't get sick so he's probably not used to how miserable it can be.) Being sick is what we're trying to avoid here.

She finished and then with Niket in her arms she quickly headed over to the nearest people she could find which were Levski and Aiya.

Irina: Guys, Tas is a bit warm and he's still sneezing. (Wouldn't be a big deal if he wasn't trying to tough it out. You know for a guy who doesn't fight very well he sure is tough.)

Lev: Let's see, what did my girlfriend do for me when I was sick? Lemme think, lemme think.

Irina reflexively slammed her eyes shut. She had no idea bringing up the subject would give Lev an opportunity to go into such things.

Lev: Tied me to the bed. For rest of course. Made me gargle hot salt-water, and a couple of other random things.

Irina: Tas insisted on helping out though. I'm not sure if he's really going to cooperate and rest.

Lev: She tied me to the bed. Tie him to the saddle. Simple.

Irina: Ugh.

Isotov

Iso: You know surprisingly I think Helios would actually win if they went at it.

Sighing a bit, he lifted his head up and skyward letting it rest against Kiev's hide. Kiev himself unable to interpret was wondering what they were talking about. Morgan had come up a few times, but he didn't know if it was really about her or not. Perhaps she was trying to chop their heads off too and they came over to be with other victims like him. Kiev was smart though and he knew it. He had appeased her with a flower. Maybe if he got them some flowers they could make peace with her as well.

Iso: You're right though. Complaining about her isn't fixing anything. Maybe having Lev talk to her would help?

As Levski handed her back the axe, his reaction made it quite apparent that it was an effective axe, for he did not even want to continue sparring were she to wield it.

As Irina approached, making mention of Tas' condition, it seemed for now the subject would be dropped.

"Tas is sick? That's not good... I think Damian left something with me for that, actually..." Aiya realized, remembering the herbs in Ulfhrahn's saddlebags.

"Just let me go get it, alright?" Aiya said cheerily, moving towards Ulfhrahn and beginning to rummage through the saddlebag.

"I dunno. I don't really know him, dunno how good he is at convincing people of things, and she'll probably give him the same crap about 'delusional' and 'walking firebomb' but maybe it'll help," Kelas replied. "I guess we'd better get moving anyway, if they've decided what they're doing with Dani." She made no move to get up yet, though; it wasn't apparent that the group was ready to go yet.

-------------------------------------------

"No, not just now, I know he been hurt in the attack," Tobe continued. "I mean when he was little or sommat." He paused for a moment as Luc begin caring for Thunder. "...Can I help?" he asked, figuring the horse would probably be calmer and easier to befriend with his usual rider about.

"It's not my choice to make. It is Damian's as to if he sends the message, and how important the speed is. As for my goal, it is one more... human than your own intentions. Taking a beast that knows nothing but fighting, and showing him a new way to live. He's young mentally, like a child, that probably has something to do with it." replied Mana. "Besides, it's not like I'm forcing him against his will, unlike a homeschooler like you."

---

"I'm afraid it is time for us two to get going." said Kaileen as she stood up, Jr. clinging to her side. "I intended only to stop here shortly to see that everyone was fine, and I did not intend to waylay myself this long. Besides, if I stay here longer, Jr. will try riding one of those... wyverns. I'm afraid it would terrify me too much. We must be going now." she said, giving a curtsy to the two people before turning about to leave. Before long, both she and Jr. were out on the road again, heading for the person whom she felt was safe to leave Jr. with.

Luc Altair

"That's what I meant," Luc responded without looking up. From his observing, Thunder didn't seem to be suffering from any direct wounds. Most likely it was residual shock from when Luc was hit. That would also explain why he was still grounded. Even if it wasn't full warplate, the current baggage was quite heavy, and Luc had to admit he was still feeling muscle weakening from the shock. "No, I suppose I can handle this on my own." Luc began removing what loads he could.

Irina and Levski

Aiya headed off in search of Damian's prepacked items leaving Irina and Levski standing idly by.

Irina: Did you have to bring up girlfriends?

Lev: Does it matter?

Irina: That's just it. It doesn't matter ... so why not leave that out?

Lev: If it doesn't matter, then whether or not it goes mentioned or unmentioned also doesn't matter, right?

Irina: Err ... what?

Lev: Right, so seeing as it doesn't matter, I may or may not bring it up, which won't effect much then. I'm glad we had this talk.

Irina: ....

Ixard

Howard: Not all of these chimeras have a long enough life span to make use of whatever teachings you would offer them. Even if they did, I doubt you could turn water into wine. Still though, it is a bit surprising that you care enough to try. You didn't think much of these creatures before.

"Aw..." Tobe did his best to look forlorn. He was surprised when Amari moved away; she had decided that the risk had diminished, and she really had to see what Kelas was up to. She trotted over, Francis following out of habit.

--------------------------------------------

"All right, then," Kelas said as she spotted Amari heading over. She pushed herself to her feet and checked the horses over for injuries, just in case. "Everything looks fine, no reason to hold things up." She gave Amari's neck a scratch, then mounted up.

Francis looked around where Amari had led him: the Boy wasn't here, and the Lady didn't need to ride him. Well, there was the Lady's friend. Maybe that one was riding again. Francis didn't mind who rode him so long as they didn't jostle too much or yank on his reins or stick him in the sides with spurs, so this one was all right. He stood patiently, ready to go whenever.

--------------------------------------------

Arrin spotted Kelas and jogged over. "Are we leaving?"

"Yeah," Kelas confirmed. "You riding in the carriage again?"

"Yes. Just wanted to check," Arrin replied. Kelas nodded, and he headed back to the carriage, ready to go. He wouldn't mind spending time with Kelas, but the carriage was a welcome change from riding for the moment.

Mask

"... I suppose you're right," Derek said, thoughtfully, hiding his mood again. "Thanks, Miss Viveka. I didn't mean to bother other people with my problems..." Mentally, however, the cursing game resumed. He should have been there, dammit. Dani wouldn't have ended up like this, had he been. Useless, useless, useless.

Derek

"I guess so. Shall we be going, then?," the man said, as the rest of the group began to depart. I won't involve anyone else, for their sake. Sorry, Viveka, but it's my burden, and mine alone.

OOC: Brief overview of most of the major events in the chapter.

"I'm alright, thanks for helping," Heinz replied to the thunder sage, who quickly walked off in another direction. Removing the knife he had thrown at the thief, Heinz cleaned it off before taking another spare knife from his belt, using it to tear off the end of his cloak. "Looks like it's starting to fall apart," he commented, wrapping the piece of cloth around his wound. It should stop the bleeding for now, though I might need to replace the cloak soon-as well as some other things, inspecting the condition of his boots.

Seeing Tessa busy healing the Elyisimian general, the man made a mental note to himself to thank Tessa for healing him earlier, wincing a bit at the recollection. Knocked me out in one blow... but 'Eric' said he had killed Shanice, mulling slowly. He's probably not working with the other demons if he killed the shapeshifter though...wonder when Eric was replaced?

Ignoring the sounds of argument between the fire mage, the nomad, and the shaman, Heinz leaned his head back against a tree. She's lost one of her most loyal countrymen, seeing the Jerdonian princess sitting near the other two healers and the thunder sage. And the prince isn't much better either, seeing him talk with one of the Elyisimian soldiers. "He has no way to fulfill the promise his parents made to the princess of restoring Jerdon," Heinz spoke quietly to himself. I could help... but a mercenary holds loyalty only towards their employer, not their former country. Good luck Prince Tristan, but I will not help you reclaim Jerdon.

Heinz stood to the side while enemy thunder sage from earlier was brought in, widening his eyes when he realized who it was. First Eric, now Danielle... His eyes glanced over the cavalier, looking for a reaction. "Odd coincidence," he murmured. The cavalier seemed to be holding himself a bit stiffly, his face blank while the wind sage looked worried. He accompanied her to the ball, didn't he? He would've been one of the last to see her before she disappeared, shrugging his shoulders when he heard Morgan's decision to keep the girl with them.

She should probably be partially restrained though, he thought, reattaching the saddlebags to his horse. Her employers weren't the same as mine either. Too strong to just be common bandits, and no insignia to identify them. But if she's not the spy, then who is? Mounting Ralf, Heinz frowned as he noticed yet another newcomer. A priestess? Seen too many newcomers lately. Urging the horse into a trot, Heinz left with the rest of the party.

Edit: Grammar

Edited by the_whistler