Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 21: In Destruction's Wake

Phoenix

Chase gave Alferis a puzzled look. "What's wrong about asking where someone is? It can't be that big of a deal, can it? Or, wait..." The thought dawned on him, and he slowly began to understand just how big of a deal it could be. No, that wasn't the worst of it. Not at all... Ugh, this is gonna suck.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It happened only about twenty years ago, sir Tas." replied Kaileen before Irina stated the misdeeds of the other hero's. As each one was listed, Kaileen's hand came up to her brow, rubbing it as if the mere mention of their names was causing her undue stress. "I am deeply sorry for their actions, Madame. My... former friends and allies... I did not know what I was doing when I was in the war. People looked up to me because of my devotion to aid and healing, and they asked me to join with them to become a small group which you know as the six heroes. I wish I had not been so immature to see them for what they were at the time. But I-JR!"

Jr. had left Kaileen's side and had scurried over to Irina. More accurately, he was standing on his tippy toes, his body stretched out against Irina's as he looked at the tiny hatchling. The curious look in his eyes, one of genuine awe at the hatchling, spoke volumes about what was going on in his mind.

"Get over here before it bites you!" Kaileen moved swiftly, trying to apprihend the small child, only to have him suddenly dart around behind Irina for cover, keeping a eye on the hatchling from under her arm. When Kaileen reached around to try and grab him, he hurried back around to Irina's front.

"What's your name little guy? Nick? Awwww.... You're such a small one. Are you going to grow up big and strong?"

Irina and Niket

Irina could only stand there a bit helpless and amused as Kaileen pursued her young boy in circles around her. She kept a good but gentle grip on Niket so he could relax, or sniff Henry Jr., whichever he preferred.

Irina: Well I don't think Niket here bites, but pinky over there nearly mauled my brother to get at the deer he was carrying. (Was for her too ... sheesh.)

Ixion

As the gigas chimera tore through dirt and rock digging its way through the underground, Ixion quietly meditated, keeping his breathes ever so faint. There was no need to exhaust what little air supply he had in the creature's innards.

Ixion: (Soon. We're so close to the end. From where I started, this was a sheer impossibility.)

Sixteen years ago ...

Along an endless dirt road, a lone boy wandered all alone carrying nothing but a black covered tome. In front of him was a small town surrounding a massive fortress that appeared to be in the final phases of construction. With nowhere else to go, the boy ventured into the town. If he didn't find food soon he would collapse again.

Ixion: (The life granted unto me was unlike anything I had ever experienced prior.)

Days later ...

A much younger Ivanko stepped into the manor with a smile on his face on his face and the young boy at his side. Aleksandr looked over at the pair with an unamused look in his eyes. Apparently his younger brother had brought in a stray.

Aleksandr: What exactly are you planning on doing with that boy, brother?

Ivanko: I'm thinking of adopting the lad. His name is Ixion ... apparently.

Ivanko shrugged. What was a name to him, really? He'd change it later if he really felt like doing so. Ixion meanwhile bowed respectfully to Aleksandr. He recognized the bow.

Aleksandr: You're from Septimus, aren't you?

Ixion nodded.

Aleksandr: You're a long way from home, boy. Adopting is hardly Zaftran in nature. Ivanko, you really ought to just settle down and have children of your own.

Ivanko: Last time I tried that, the woman ended up with you.

Ivanko was smiling but there was clearly some hostility in his voice. Aleksandr rolled his eyes.

Aleksandr: Not that you didn't still get your shot, brother. If you're keeping him, fine, but I don't see the point.

Aleksandr was in no way hiding his hostility. He seemed even more upset about this woman than Ivanko was. Ixion noticed their restrained anger but stayed quiet. If he angered either of them by commenting, he could end up back on the streets.

Ixion: (When I finally learned the truth ...)

One year later ...

Ixion now eleven years of age came into Ivanko's office searching for him. He was standing by a bookshelf returning a book and turned to greet Ixion with a smile.

Ivanko: There you are. You should show your face more, Ixion. No one around here is ever going to remember you if you don't come outside more often. I want you to study and learn, but I also want you to talk to people. Knowing these people now will make things easier as time goes on.

Ixion: I suppose I could do that ... um, Ivanko?

Ivanko: Yeah?

Ixion: W-what you told me about Zaftra ... ... I don't understand. You keep the culture alive in these colonies, and you take in refugees that leave that icy place, but how is that going to fix anything? You said you would fix what was broken, but what you're doing can't possibly fix that broken country.

It had been exactly what Ivanko expected. Ixion always commented on things he couldn't find reason in. The boy's curiosity and observational skills had caught onto the seemingly unproductive policies he embraced. With a slight grin he turned to the young shaman.

Ivanko: Are you sure what I'm doing can't save Zaftra? Are you sure you aren't missing something here, Ixion?

Ixion: Hmm.

A bit of thought made many aspects of the organization stick out. He stated everything that came to mind hoping to deduce some reasonable goal from what little he already knew.

Ixion: This company keeps mercenaries under a blood pact. An extreme measure. Also most of your men are Zaftran refugees or the children of Zaftran refugees born and raised in these colonies. You have more than a thousand mercenaries all paying tributes back into your hands. You spend an absolute minimal amount of these funds for improvements to the organization and resources while the rest is horded away. I AM missing something. Ivanko you're following a similar pattern to military arms build up and expansion. The fact that an overwhelming number of your men are Zaftran is also strange. Why so many Zaftrans? Why is Zaftran culture so heavily enforced here?

Ivanko: Keep going ...

Ixion: You're keeping your men loyal to the Zaftran ideals, but Zaftra's culture was lost to the times since the throne never comes under dire threat. From what I've read, the same bloodline has ruled Zaftra for two hundred years. It's the only thing that hasn't changed.

Ivanko: You mean the same bloodline that built the citadels and made themselves virtually safe from all attacks, even Halton invasion forces? Those cowards?

Ixion: Yes. You seem to dislike them. You also seem to dislike the royal family by extension.

Ivanko: If you want your answer, Ixion, keep going.

Ixion: A massive company growing by the day ... made up mostly of Zaftran refugees ... controlled by two men, one of which dislikes Zaftra's current administration ... and is ever increasing in size and power.

The room remained silent for a few more moments.

Ixion: Impossible. You can't do what Halton could not. You could never amass enough troops or resources even if you lived a century and again from now.

Ivanko: True ... it's a steep goal, and I may not see it fulfilled, but I will not allow my country to fade into the abyss either.

Ixion: Is this what is referred to as ... devoting one's life to something?

Ivanko: It is.

Ixion: So it's your purpose then.

Ivanko: Yes.

Ixion: ... ... ... I wish to assist you in this then.

Ivanko: You want to help? You don't think Halton brought along a few druids to try to melt the walls already?

Ixion: I am not stupid like people who see only one way to reach a goal. I can find a way to destroy those citadels and then you can fix Zaftra like you said you would. If I'm to be trained for something, let it be this.

Ivanko: You know how powerful you would have to become to change the tide of a full scale battle, Ixion?

Ixion: TISME calls it eighth circle and I will reach it and beyond. As long as I'm here I will get stronger and stronger, and I ... can repay you for giving me a life, and my power.

Ivanko: Are you certain you want to go through with this? The responsibility is tremendous. To be honest, I would've preferred a son to a tool.

Ixion: I promise you, Ivanko that I will destroy the citadel defenses, the citadels themselves, and anything else that stands between you and restoring Zaftra to what it once was.

The boy took a deep breathe after finishing his bold statement. he was red in the face and keeping his head down during the latter half of his statement, much to Ivanko's amusement.

Ivanko: You alright?

Ixion: Yes, I just ... I feel warm. It happens sometimes around people I respect. It will pass.

Ivanko: It's called "love", Ixion.

Ixion: ... that's stupid.

Ivanko chuckled and patted Ixion on the head.

Ixion: (A long time has passed but I keep my promises. I don't care if affections were the initial reason. I will accomplish the goal set before me.)

OOC: There's a bunch of missing context here, but eh.

"E-eric h-he-" Charlotte began. Then she realized she did not even know how to answer Chase. What did happen to Eric really? Charlotte grew silent and looked downward. At least we know where Dani is now. she thought to herself.

Xenia

Xenia walked over towards Ivanko. "You know, I respect having a strong mount and everything, but it occurs to me that if Victor makes you lose an arm or an eye or something, you are going to become significantly weaker. Seems to me there should be a line between "strong" and "crazy homicidal beast I can't control." Xenia said, crossing her arms and looking at Ivanko.

"Uh-oh," muttered Tas. "Irina--!" he started, quickly deciding on actions instead of words. Swiftly, he lunged and grabbed the hatchling experly begind Niket's jaw, palm down on the back of the red wyvern's neck. A hissing stream of air blew from the hatchling's nostrils as he puffed up in irritation.

"Whenever you want to keep a hatchling from biting, grab them like this. They won't be able to move as well. Really, though, you still have to watch out for their tails," instructed Tas, "I could see by the arc in his neck: he was about to strike out at Jr."

What was this little human? And why was the familliar human stopping him? The smaller human was annoying and getting too close. Why didn't he like smaller humans? ... Niket didn't know. He didn't need a reason. It was probably the same reason that the big human was fun to attack.

Irina

As Tas quickly intercepted Niket, Irina raised her eyebrows, a bit enlightened.

Irina: Oh. I guess he does bite. You know if he didn't bite Lev, I'm not sure why he would go for Henry here. ... or maybe he did bite Lev and he just didn't tell me ... hmm.

At the moment it didn't matter. At least Tas had kept Henry Jr. out of harms way.

Ivanko

Ivanko: "Crazy homicidal beast I can't control" ... huh. (I guess there really is no replacing my brother.) Even so, he'll come in handy for the operation. If he gives me any trouble after that, I'll be more inclined to put'em down and move on.

Several staff wielders quickly rushed over and came to a sliding stop when they saw that the injured party was neither Ivanko, nor Xenia, but in fact Victor.

Healer: ... (Shhhhhit.) Uh, so who needs h-healing?

Ivanko: You're not blind. Victor has a severed spine. Fix him.

Healer: I-i-isn't this Lady Stephanie's job? we won't be able to get to a safe distance before he bites us in half.

Ivanko: He knows better than to harass healers while I'm standing right here, now hurry up.

Healer: Uuuuuuug.

As the healer and the others began mending Victor's wound, Ivanko addressed him directly.

Ivanko: ... a cow bomb ... ... really? You couldn't think of anything better than chucking food at me? You've got some serious anger issues, Victor.

Once the healing was finished, the healers rushed over and hid behind Ivanko and Xenia. Victor rose slowly a bit relieved that he could move again and quickly snarled at the humans before turning to leave. The healers were still ducking behind them but to Ivanko they were as good as gone. Thinking about it again though ,Xenia didn't want him to become weak. That was slightly amusing and prompted a smile.

Ivanko: Don't worry about me getting injured or growing weak, Xenia ... at least not until I'm pushing a hundred. There might be a small chance you can surpass me before then, hahahahah!

"Here. Put your thumb here and hold his neck like this: right against the jaw," Tas arched hisfingers so that Irina could see how to place her fingers better, "Just hold him like that until you feel his muscles relax a little. Not all hatchlings are like him, but they sometimes do things just because they feel like it. I wouldn't trust people around them unless someone who knows how to handle wyverns is around."

Niket growled. He wanted to move again. This wasn't fair! Even after his unrecognized victory over the orange hairy thing! Why were they stopping him?

Edited by Mercakete

Irina

Irina: Alright I'll be sure to keep people he's not familiar with at a safe distance then.

She carefully followed Tas' movements mentally jotting down the positioning so she would remember it in the future. Kiev was never small enough at any point for her to be able to restrain him which made the next lesson even more interesting. Once she got the gist of it, she tried as well securing the hatchling just as Tas had. It felt slightly wrong doing it herself. She realized that deep down she didn't like it. She'd always felt that Lev was a bit too rough with the wyverns but she supposed she had to get used to being more parental if she was going to be any help to Tas at all.

"Yeah, like that. If you feel him moving anything besides his tail, then tighten your grip a little," the courier instructed, removing his hand as Irina got hold of Niket. (She's learning quickly and she looks so determined. Heh, she's kind of like me.) "It won't be long before I don't have anything left to teach you if you keep learning so quickly," complimented Tas with a grin.

Niket sputtered a little in frustration. He didn't want to move if he couldn't move his head. With a growl, he kept his muscles tense a moment longer then conceded and relaxed. The little human wasn't worth his mobility.

Irina

While she wasn't too thrilled about restraining Niket a bit, she was glad that at least Tas was acknowledging her for how quickly she was picking up on his instructions. Niket didn't seem too upset either which allowed her to quickly set aside her initial feelings and focus. Once he finally began to relax, she gently released him.

Irina: You know, to be honest, I thought he would be mad at me if I did that. Seems fine though. Thanks for the complement though. I'm trying hard to pay attention here.

"Though you certainly don't want to be cruel, there are safe ways to let them know you won't submit to their tantrums," Tas replied, shrugging indifferently at the concerns. His tone betrayed his sympathy for his next sentence, though his spirits lifted after it, "Unfortunately, some riders don't know those methods so wyvern-breaking sometimes really hurts the wyvern. This is just an immobalization tactic. It doesn't hurt them at all and though they may be in a huff for a while, they'll be fine. In fact, I'd imagine that if the grip was firm enough and covered the points I showed you, then this would probably even work on full-grown wyverns. Tjough we only use it so far as our hands can reach and as long as our grips can be tight enough. In fact, once I saw Eli - one of the ranchers back home - subdue one of the larger fleglings! He looked like he was strangling him, but we all knew he was careful enough not to hurt the wyvern."

Realizing he got caught up in memories, he gave Irina a bit of an appologetic look, continuing, "Well, there's that. But you know, I can tell you're really trying. I'm glad and I know that--" With the return of the sneeze, Tas had to redirect it as he'd done since catching the cold. Giving the mercenary annother appologetic, sheepish smile, he finished, "Heh... Well, I know that even if you're not the one to take care of Niket and the others until you get back to your base, you'll make sure they have good handlers who know what they're doing."

Nice one, Idiot

"... The one called Eric is no longer traveling with your group. That is all that you really need to know," Alex said, bluntly in an attempt to curb the conversation. "Now then, I believe we should go deal with the issue of our prisoner," she finished, moving back towards the camp. The topic of Eric wasn't really the best to be broached right now, especially considering it was the day after.

"Oh. Okay. That kinds sucks," Chase replied a bit late as the woman walked off. "... Wait, didn't we fight her a few days ago? What's she doing here? Should I be worried? What the hell's going on? I still don't know about half a dozen people... or who the carriage belongs to," he wondered aloud.

Irina

As Irina listened to Tas explanation, she began remembering some wyvern rising incidents. While the IM wyvern handlers were very proficient in handling the large flying reptiles, not all of them were particularly loving or empathetic. Even her own uncle Ivanko was overly harsh at times. With Tas' kind of expectations, Irina felt that they might have to be very picky about who in the company would be allowed to raise the wyverns. Yes "they", because she would be sure to help.

Irina: Well I've made up my mind. Whenever we get close enough to one of the bases to deliver the eggs, I'll go with you. I'd like to see them go to good riders personally.

Before she could continue, she realized that Tas was still sick. A bit worried she turned her focus to that.

Irina: Your cold isn't gone yet? (And he fought like this? Oh goodness.)

Wyverns

With nothing left to find out about the human hatchling, the pink wyvern wandered around looking for a place to relax that wasn't near Krinkov. She kept a careful eye on a smaller group of the humans as they brought an old familiar one back into the group. Had she brought that group of enemies down on them? Human females and their pleas for attention, silly, she thought.

Meanwhile Krinkov was lying near the carriage and was becoming increasingly agitated at all the voices. The one that stuck out the most belonged to that blue clad human with all the barbs. He stood up with his cargo securely fastened and stomped over to Chase shoving him by the waist with his though snout. This human would lower his voice, cease making noises altogether, or meet the ground. Krinkov had no preference at the moment.

Chase was completely thrown off by the wyvern and was knocked back a few feet, wildly flailed his arms in an attempt to stay up and ended up falling flat on his face. "Aww, what the hell!" he whined. Swearing under his breath, he pushed himself up, readjusted his cape, and turned around about to shout before seeing Krinkov where he was moments before. Paling slightly, he laughed nervously and stepped back before cautiously walking back to the carriage.

Edited by Luka Megurine

"Yes, I suppose finding this page has ultimately made little progress. I suppose we must simply continue forward and try our best to keep you under control. I will be monitoring you closely for any warning signs." Morgan said to Isotov.

Tristan got off of his pegasus and walked towards the large group of people around some mage girl. "Not to be impatient or anything, but what are we ataying around here for? I'd like to get moving..." he said.

Crazy Homicidal Wyvern Talk

"Well, good to know you've at least thought about putting him down. I almost always kill things trying to kill me. General principle." Xenia replied to Ivanko.

She laughed at his next statement. "The day I surpass you might be closer than you think! But enough chit-chat, you seem to have things handled here, and I've got a job to do."

Isotov

Iso: Please, I'd rather we spend as little time near each other as humanly possible.

Thinking quickly he gestured to Kelas.

Iso: Kelas can let you know if anything seems off with me.

Now he could only hope she would follow his lead.

Krinkov

The human wasn't very sure footed. Didn't matter though. The human was a bit quieter now. With one human down, he began trying to identify the next loudest noise. Eyeing Tristan, he headed over glaring at the man.

Ivankov Ivanko

Ivanko: We'll see, we'll see. Alright, try not to die out there, and give Jace my regards if you run into him. Oh and one more thing. Last job or not, same rules apply. No pillaging, kidnapping, raping, etctera. We're not bandits. If anyone stoops that low, kill them.

"See Jr? That wyvern chick would have bitten you! What have I told you time and time again? Listen to mother. Mother knows best!" chided Kaileen, catching the small child by the wrist. Reeling him in close, she turned to the two people. "I'm sorry. He's only a small child; he doesn't know how dangerous a wyvern can be if mishandled."

"But I do know mommy. I would have caught his head and scratched under his chin when he lunged, but you had to-"

"Jr. dear? Please. You're not normally this talkative. You hush up and listen to me. Do these beasts really have you so enamored?"

Jr stopped for a moment as he looked down at his feet, kicking a small pebble against his mothers leg. Kaileen gave a small wince, and then he looked up to the three wyverns, gazing over them until he saw the pink one again. "But they're pretty." he mumbled before looking back at Irina and the small chick. "And cute..." he gave a small sigh. "Okay mother. I'll stay quiet."

A sad look came over Kaileen's eye. It was clear to her that the small child really cared for the animals. Still, she wasn't going to let him get hurt. Bending down, she stroked his face. "I'm sorry dear, I don't want to see you get hurt. You know I love you." she said before kissing him on the cheek. "Come on. Let us get going."

"You misunderstand me. If I wanted your opinion on the matter I would have used an interrogative statement. My use of declarative statements is intentional. I do not associate with you for the pleasure of your company either, but you must have someone trained in demonic energies involved with magic watching you. I have more experience in these matters than Kelas does." Morgan replied to Isotov.

"Oh, hey boy." Tristan said, noticing one of the wyverns glaring at him. He must be hungry... Tristan thought to himself. He pulled out a carrot and waved it enticingly in front of Krinkov.

Jobs

"Well the job I took last time involved kidnapping, so I'm not sure if I can guarantee that one." Xenia said. "But I won't hesitate to cut down people doing things outside of what the mission requires. We're alreasy getting paid, no need to take extra booty." she said. Svetlana looked over to where Xenia and Ivanko were talking. The word "booty" often meant fish, though sometimes her human used it in an entirely different context.

"I think I can probably tell 'going to explode' apart from 'not going to explode', and I can do it without being insulting all the time," Kelas put in acidly. "I know it sounds a bit crazy, but you aren't the only one who pays attention to things. I reckon I'll notice if weird shit starts happening, and if it does, I'll get someone who knows what to do about it, believe me." She remembered that Morgan wasn't the only one in the group with a tome that was completely under control, and so neglected to specify who she'd notify. "I don't really think skulking around him all the time is the most useful thing you can be doing."

As Levski went on about axe angles and lowered maneuverability, Aiya tried to keep up with his train of thought.

"Uhh... Levski? I'm a bit more of a hands on learner, myself... if you wouldn't mind, I would catch on a lot more quickly if I could practice those angles of attack against an actual opponent." Aiya said, looking over the axe once again.

"Were it so simple, I would have done it already, Headmaster." Damian replied solemnly, looking at the half spirit with weary eyes.

"I am not trying to eliminate any spontaneity regarding Gae-Borg... such a feat would be nigh-on impossible. I cannot effect what others do... but I can control what I do. If I can stop this spear from taking control of my body... of my mind... then I can bend those offenses with my own strength... with my own will." Damian spoke determinedly, running his hand along Gungnir.

"Aiya is strong... she may not hold a crimson weapon, or anything of the sort... but she is weary when she needs to be, and can hold her own as well as anyone. I do not fear for her lack of skill, for her personal safety... both she and Ulfhrahn work towards that... as do I... I fear for what I may do to jeopardize it myself. Would she be able to fight back against my berserked state? Would she be willing? She can fight back against almost any opponent, that much I can attest to... but I don't have a clue what she would do against... me..." Damian finished, looking at the ground with a contemplative gaze.

"That is why my own weakness is what I fear... because my own weakness is what will prevent me from protecting them."

As the headmaster then began to speak... compliment... flirt with? The minotaur she called Howard, Damian wondered whether the woman held an attention span to rival that of a gnat, or was simply attempting to confuse him.

"Err... It's not that simple," Tas mentioned to Jr. before the pair left, "If you come in contact with a wyvern when their rider isn't around, it's best to stay away. If the rider is around, you should ask them if it's safe to draw near. Do not assume kindness from anyone, especially not someone who doesn't understand you such as a wyvern - not even a hatchling."

After that he had more time to reply to Irina. "You've no idea what a relief that is. I would appreciate the help since I don't have much - or any - influence as to who become their riders."

When she mentioned his cold he grimiced a bit. He'd been trying to keep it under control, but illnesses weren't very obediant. "Yes, I still have a cold. I rarely get sick, though, so I don't know how long one is supposed to last."

Without the pink one around, Namid shifted his attention to Tas. His rider was speaking with his new friend: Kiev's rider. Beyond them seemed to be the red plains wyvern and...the pegasus man? Curious, Namid watched the antics unfold.

"Indeed it is keeping you from protecting her. You are still here after all instead of rushing down to be at her side. Damian, there is a way to remove the weapons for good from your body, a way to ensure that neither of your ladies will be hurt by you ever, and you would sit around and whine to yourself about how you MIGHT hurt her and how she MIGHT not defend herself against you? She is in danger now! Go to her! Go to them! Esphyr is a strong woman and would not let either you or herself come to harm, and she has been raised as a priestess. She may not show it, but she won't let someone innocent get mowed down knowingly. She will protect Aiya too. The only problem is you; that you are so afraid of what might be that you won't make any move at all. You are a coward, running away from the situation and praying for someone else to take the reigns of your life. Is that what you want Aiya to marry? Is that what Esphyr deserves? Is that what either of them want? A man who suckles up to others to solve his problems instead of facing them? Even if, somehow, this weapon you have acquired ends your problems with the weapon, you came here because you didn't know how to handle the issue and wanted someone else to take care of it. There is admittance that you don't know how to handle something and seeking the knowledge of the higher-ups, and there is running away Damian. You need to get some self respect!"

Mana gave a small sigh and rubbed her brow in stress after the outburst. Slowly floating down to the ground again, she put her hand on his shoulder. "I'm sorry. I spoke out of line Damian. I know you are trying to help them. Running away, or seeking the solution to a problem you don't know how to handle, you are doing it for them. Still, if you really are doing this for them, then write to them. Let them know how you are and how you are doing. Even if it hurts them, reminds them of the pain of being without you, they will be happier knowing where you are and how you are doing."

Isotov

Iso: Let me say this another way. I'm not going to put up with you following me around. Things around here are strange and uncomfortable enough as is. Like Kelas said, she's got it. Focus on something besides me, anything besides me. Go chat with Lev or ... examine a rock or ... something.

Irina

Irina: Well I hear it varies sometimes. Ugh. Don't we have any actual doctors in this group? Healers are nice but we can't fix a common cold?

She laughed a bit, part frustrated and part amused at how silly that sounded. The sooner his cold was gone the better, but there was nothing she could really do to help that she wasn't already doing. Help look after the wyverns.

Levski

Lev: Hands on? You sound like Vlad with wyverns. I can respect that. Go'head and take a few swings at me then.

Krinkov

A carrot dangling in front of him, he knew his reasons for being there were lost on the human. Communicating with the flying buffet he was mounted on was also out of the question. What to do? He continued staring at the carrot wondering if the human would ever figure out that his pegasus was a far better offering than some orange stale smelling thing from a farm.

Ixard

Howard was most intrigued by Mana's second outburst. While he watched curiously ... so did Ixion. He had seen what Stratos had been on the look out for as well. He knew he wouldn't be back for a short while and decided to interject. Using the full power of his connection with the minotaur, Ixion flooded the beasts consciousness sending it into a craze! Howard held the sides of his head shaking back and forth until his entire aura changed. His face went completely blank as he stood up straight again looking at the two of them and he began speaking with a voice that wasn't his own. His own voice came out as inarticulate bull babel to them while Ixion's voice completely overshadowed it.

Howard: "Write to them"? I'm certain we can be finished here long before word on parchment reaches them.

Looking to Ixion the multi-voiced minotaur continued.

Howard: While we are making good time it will still be a good while before I return. I suggest you make good use of this time however you can.

Then facing Mana again, the minotaur raised a brow slightly and then looked over itself.

Howard: I trust you and "Howard" are getting along just fine as well.

"Maybe you're right... maybe I am running away. I can't face Gae-Borg on my own, I can't do this without help, or I would have. If it means I am likened to a fearful pup for doing so, then think what you want to think. I have a problem, and I am doing whatever I can to fix it... to bring myself out of this hole... if that makes me a coward, then so be it, Headmaster, I suppose I am a coward." Damian stated, looking the half-spirit in the eye.

"I need self-respect? What makes you think that? I can look at myself in the mirror and admit my flaws, my problems, and I can take solace in the fact that I am doing all I can to overcome them... to get past them. Yes, I need help to do it, no, I don't know what to do on my own... but I am still facing those problems. Headmaster... maybe I am a coward for turning to Ixion... but I am facing myself... what about you?"

As Mana calmed down, Damian thought about her words for a second.

"I suppose I am out of line as well... I should contact them... but they have surely left Burgosas by now... I do not know where I would send the letter to..." As Damian pondered it, the Minotaur began acting rather strange, and it was soon apparent Ixion was projecting his own words through the chimera.

"Tell me, Ixion. Is there anyone else in this fortress with those... 'instant messaging' capabilities of yours? I would love the opportunity to make use of them."

"Alright Levski... here we go!" Aiya rushed towards the Zaftran Wyvern Lord, readying the axe as she recalled his words.

'The best way to break through with an axe is to either use the weight to overpower their defense, or break through an opening in their stance... let's try this.'

As she approached her own striking range, Aiya turned her body right around, swinging herself around to his side.

'It won't be enough to knock him back, an attack from the side is pretty common, but that's not the point.'

Using the momentum of the movement, Aiya brought the axe head down sharply, placing her weight and strength fully into the strike.

Edited by Azusa Nakano