Let's Play! Icewind Dale

Integrity

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dorn's Deep isn't gonna go on for-fucking-ever like the Severed Hand did, is it? >>

----------

iwind1205.jpg

Sudden and violent exploration shall now ensue.

iwind1206.jpg

And then Raymond got Berzerked. Everybody stayed the fuck away and let him do his shit.

iwind1207.jpg

To review the map of this area, since I can't do much of anything else. Traditional Icewind space-filling paths, innit.

iwind1208.jpg

Aaaaand Raymond's done.

iwind1209.jpg

Back to the narrative!

----------

iwind1210.jpg

"Caves inside caves inside caves." Luka sighed.

"There anywhere else to go down this long path?" asked Skitarii.

"Don't think so. Into the cave?"

"Why not."

iwind1211.jpg

iwind1212.jpg

"Well, this doesn't look bad at all." muttered Furetchen.

iwind1213.jpg

Raymond grunted in surprise, having found a fight too challenging for him alone.

iwind1214.jpg

Fortunately, clever use of all the resources at our disposal (read: fireball!) saved the day.

iwind1215.jpg

"That's... a lotta Human skulls."

"Maybe they're Dwarf-skulls, boss!"

iwind1216.jpg

INTERJECTION FROM THE NARRATIVE: What the fuck is this shit? It's too early to be something I take back to Druidface unless Luna was tragically misremembering, but I don't see what else it could be. Mourns-for-Trees? That's an Argonian Druid name if ever I saw one.

iwind1217.jpg

"Into the other cave?"

"Lead on, Furet."

After several twists and turns:

iwind1218.jpg

"...well, shit. That was a waste of time."

"You don't say."

"Well, where to next?"

"You think I know?"

"You're supposed to be the boss."

"Shut up. We'll go, uh, see that first cave-hole Raymond found."

"'kay."

iwind1219.jpg

iwind1220.jpg

"Orcs! Now there's a surprise!" Acacia observed acutely.

iwind1221.jpg

iwind1222.jpg

Orcs were no match for our might, and the room contained nothing except about 200 xp. Whee!

iwind1223.jpg

"This way?"

"This way."

iwind1224.jpg

Raymond stopped short and pointed. "Structure!"

"Brilliant observation, Raymond. How do we get up there?"

"Dunno."

iwind1225.jpg

I am as confused by this picture as you are.

iwind1226.jpg

Raymond stopped and pointed again. "Bridge!"

"Well, cross it!"

iwind1227.jpg

"...bet we have to go in there."

"Yeah, Case, I think you're right."

iwind1228.jpg

Incidentally, there was a ? I could click by the structure up top. That's what I got.

iwind1229.jpg

"Fuckin' hot in here." grumbled Balcerzak.

You could've gone into the "great deal of heat" building. That's where the extract comes into play. I think.

Otherwise you're up against fucking annoying sorcerers now.

Speaking of half-breeds, Icewind Dale II throws them at you like spades.

You can create half-orc characters, and you have to fight half-ogres, half-goblins, half-dragons, half-blood yuan-ti priestesses, half......fucks. Hell, the whole storyline is based on racism and half-xxxx whatnot.

Even better, you can choose to be of yuan-ti descent, or you can even create demigod humans (aasimar) and demidemon humans (tieflings).

Edited by skitarii

A BELATED UPDATE: THE SAGA OF ONE BATTLE

Yes, folks, I haven't forgotten you. Between a dead stop I came to yesterday morning in a single battle, writing my draft guide, and deciding to participate in two drafts I managed to convince myself not to finish this yesterday. Is it worth the wait? No. Leave your narrative at the door.

iwind1230.jpg

First off! What the fuck? Yep, Drow warriors backed by Drow mages backed by Orog warriors backed by Orc archers. SUDDENLY DROW

iwind1231.jpg

Also: Phase Spiders!

iwind1232.jpg

iwind1233.jpg

So we fight, and we win against the first couple of enemies. Drow warriors, some Orogs, and the spiders. I decide to get cheeky and drop Protection from Normal Missiles on Tarii and have him Fireball the archers, when...

iwind1234.jpg

iwind1235.jpg

And then I realize something: this is retarded! So I look back and I see the path to the structure that Skitarii assured me existed. It's all the way back at the zone out. I order everybody there when...

iwind1236.jpg

iwind1237.jpg

EVERYTHING HAD ALREADY RESPAWNED. WHAT.

iwind1238.jpg

iwind1239.jpg

So going back is a pain in the ass! And going forward is a pain in the ass! So let's go forward and kill even more Orogs!

iwind1240.jpg

iwind1241.jpg

Burning Blood kills Raymond and, conveniently, Balcerzak revives him.

iwind1242.jpg

iwind1243.jpg

We perpetrate cheeky PfNM shenanigans and one of the Drow Sorcs chases Skitarii! Perfect!

iwind1244.jpg

iwind1245.jpg

Mirror Image is a MOTHERFUCKER, did you know that?

iwind1246.jpg

iwind1247.jpg

iwind1248.jpg

Rez, charge, barely eke out a win against the last Sorc. Mirror Image means I can pile SIX GUYS on one of them, in melee, and if they decide to nuke a squishier target (only speaking raw HP because magic cuts armor) I'll have to rez them after the battle.

AND NOW WE'VE CROSSED A BRIDGE.

Tomorrow: real update.

Woah, it's really becoming tougher now.

Either that or I'm just exagerating just by seeing the guy with most HP getting killed and with low HP in general. :mellow:

Ooookay, this might not make people happy but I'm breaking a rule I've had for a good while now. I'm shifting updates to every other day. Unless I feel REALLY MUCH like updating on a particular day.

Why? SUDDENLY DROW. I. Fucking. Hate. Drow. And everybody who writes DnD games has a massive hard-on for them. So why not make me fight piles of high-level fighters with swords and crossbows, all poisoned, with INNATE MAGICAL RESISTANCE? The piles of Neo Orogs I can kill with Skitarii and creative use of the tools at my disposal. Half of the Drow I attack with a good hefty single-target spell (Magic Missile, Flame Arrow) I'll get that Magic Resistance! popup. And what if I move Acacia or Furetchen into melee alongside Raymond? Well God help me if any of them decide to break off and attack somebody not-Raymond.

In short, fuck Drow.

Hordes of the Underdark was the exception, where you could take a room of like fifteen of the fucks without a sweat.

Hordes was just a perfect game all-round, really. The Underdark, Deekin, Cockney devils using rhyming slang to call you a cunt to your face...

Edited by Grimsworth of Natal

This might become a pure text LP as I navigate the final dungeon and then just write about it and fuck screenshots. This is aggravating to no end.

These Drow Vanguards, complete with the magic resistance and all the goodies of lesser Drow, have poisoned crossbows and enough AC to avoid getting hit most of the time. One of them can go toe-to-toe with Raymond and might eventually win. If I pile everybody on, their AI causes them to switch targets like no other, going straight for Skitarii as soon as he bursts into view.

graaaaaah

Oh yes. Poison annoys me to no end. Taking 4 damage every second is fine. I can heal that. It's the nonstop flinching that throws me into a rage. It ends up with me savescumming with a finger on the Q key and sending my sling-thief and crossbow-ranger with my fighter and cleric drawing fire. I leave my bard and mage somewhere safe. Well actually I just let my bard tag along somewhere whilst singing.

Don't worry, the poisonous Drow won't really be troubling you much. You just have to fight invisible thieves later on.

I don't remember the poison... and the thieves were no trouble at all... seriously, they did like, 14 damage from the backstab. i was liek, dude, my dude has 100+ hp, do you really think that'll do much? And they give you so much exp... |D the thieves are easier than the drow... to be honest. the annoying part was the petrification traps and spells that seemed to be all over the flippin place... T.T