Let's Play! Icewind Dale

Integrity

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can always try slow poison first. Neutralize poison is a fail-safe, sure, but if I recall, slow poison is practically instantaneous, and it works for most poisons too. It doesn't always work though so antidotes are better, but when it does work, it saves however many antidotes you need on each poisoning that you cured with slow poison. I've found it works fairly often too, so it's not like you're taking a huge risk using it either...<<Wrote this before I read the stuff about the hold spell :sweatdrop:

A trap negating the other?

Though not unknown to me, but to negate poison while paralyzed? Well, I suppose it could work...?

Well, since it was presumably injected, rather than ingested, it would effect them because their blood is moving constantly around their body spreading and harming the rest of the body. Assuming that hold spell stops absolutely everything including pulse and stuff, it makes sense that the venom would then fail to do anything. Slow poison still works in that case though! :) Also, I wasn't trying to discourage you from the game, I was encouraging you to be thorough, and you'll thank me later. :P Make sure you pick up absolutely EVERYTHING. I missed something I needed, and the game took MUCH longer than it should have in there. Oh, and take all useless looking items, because if it's not equippable and isn't a bottle of wine, it probably has importance. Ahahaha but elven healing wine is useful too, so pick that up if you find it.

Aha, as far as I know, the only time a bottle of wine comes in handy is in Easthaven when this dude asks you for a bottle of wine. If you give a bottle to him, he gives you like 5 gp and experience, so I always do. I think he also gives you a dagger... a useless one, but a dagger nonetheless... and I don't think you get anything for yelling at him not to be a drunk.

Fuck that. I'm saving it for a special occasion.

----------

iwind957.jpg

First off: ANTICLIMAX PRIME! There was nothing that way. So we go back down.

iwind958.jpg

iwind959.jpg

"You said this was the last set, right boss?"

"Yessir, Case."

iwind960.jpg

"...hey guys? Why's this third trap in the shape of a dead guy?"

"'cos Elves are weird, Casey." answered Luka.

"...I resent that."

iwind961.jpg

iwind962.jpg

iwind963.jpg

"Skitarii. You're the Necromancer. What the fuck was that?"

"Burning Skeletons, Luka. Essentially, bones enchanted with the ability to throw Fireballs - and the immunity to fire. Nasty bastards."

"No shit."

Furetchen popped up after this last bit. "Sorry guys, I miss anything?"

The five glared at him.

"What? I was looking for stuff."

"Ooh, gimme that." Luka snatched the plate from Furetchen's hands.

iwind964.jpg

"Balcerzak!" he then called out. "Shield for you!"

"Oh?"

iwind965.jpg

iwind966.jpg

iwind967.jpg

"...a Burning Skeleton, some blocked stairs down, and some unblocked stairs up."

"Cool beans. Fight then explore?"

"As always, Case. As always."

"Awesome. Right behind you, RaymOW!"

iwind968.jpg

iwind969.jpg

iwind970.jpg

iwind971.jpg

"Fucker shot me!"

"Yeah well we killed it. Quit bitching."

"But it hurts!"

"You know," observed Skitarii, "the Burning Skeleton never showed. That means he's still down there."

"I'll take care of him." said Luka. "Follow me!"

iwind972.jpg

"Hah! Held your bony a-...oh, fuck me."

iwind973.jpg

iwind974.jpg

"Luka, you're still a bit on fire."

"Shut up, Furet. Ow."

"Honestly, that could've gone worse." remarked Skitarii.

"Speak for yourself, Tarii." mumbled Balcerzak.

iwind975.jpg

iwind976.jpg

iwind977.jpg

"I don't like these big ones." grumbled Raymond. "Why're there so many?"

"Somebody way, waaaaay long ago hated you." answered Luka.

iwind978.jpg

iwind979.jpg

These two pictures have no plot, but a story:

Furetchen was scouting north of that last room and walked over a trap. The trap poisoned and confused him. Furetchen, still invisible, ran around mindlessly for a short time before finding one last Goblin, walking up to him, and stabbing him to death. Shortly afterwards, the poison and the confusion both subsided. What?

iwind980.jpg

iwind981.jpg

"...hey, guys? You might wanna come look at this."

"What is it, Case?"

"I think this platform's supposed to move."

"Eh?"

"Yeah. Some kinda ancient Elven ...moving platformey thing."

"Hm. Mark it and remember."

iwind982.jpg

"Another giant battle," grumbled Furetchen to himself, "and they aren't even guarding anything."

I swear, that ENTIRE FLOOR hated me. It didn't help that my mage ran out of spells. :< She also got attacked. So she was running around being useless and trying not to die, while everyone else was dying and my poor poor healer couldn't heal everyone fast enough and I can't remember HOW I SURVIVED THOSE BATTLES. The bladed skeletons screwed me over every time... T.T Also, can you actually drink the wine? I don't think it's even an option...?

I'm doing distinctly better than you did, Luna. At least, I think so.

Still no Elven Chainmail wtffffff there's gotta be some here.

----------

iwind983.jpg

iwind984.jpg

Big fight, no loot. At least Skitarii can use all the level 5 spells we don't have yet!

iwind985.jpg

"Stairs up, then we'll come back and try Casey's moving platform thingy?"

"You're the boss, Furet."

"...you know, Luka, it's nice to hear you say that for once."

iwind986.jpg

iwind987.jpg

iwind988.jpg

"Nothing, stairs up, what the devil? Luka, come see this."

iwind989.jpg

"...excuse me, sir?"

"Adventurers? BEGONE! You will not have the treasures of this keep."

"We're, uh, not here for the treasures."

"...you're not? I may have underestimated you."

"Yeah, who are you again?"

"I am Lethias. Long ago, the Orcs and Goblins were invading this keep. I remained behind as a lure to hold them while the wizards destroyed the relics and ruined the keep and kill all of us within. As I died, I awoke and found myself in this ...horrible shell. My duty is still the same: I must protect the keep."

"Um, okay. I'm Luka! I'm a Bard."

"Really? Delightful. Why are you here, Human, if not for treasure?"

"We're looking for Larrel?"

"I haven't seen him in many, many years. He used to hide with the other wizards in the Wizard's Tower."

"That would make sense. Thanks, Lethias! 'til we come back around, then!"

"Farewell, Luka."

iwind990.jpg

Stairs up,

iwind991.jpg

stairs up,

iwind992.jpg

and no points for guessing.

iwind993.jpg

loltypo

iwind994.jpg

Luka spoke briefly with an Elven minstrel who was still quite aware of his condition despite being dead. Luka was regaled with tales about nothing of consequence.

iwind996.jpg

iwind995.jpg

"The fuck? How do you even --"

"Do not question, SAH! Only buy, or sell!"

"Right, right, okay!"

Ghost merchant actually bought at a pretty good price. Capitalism, ho!

iwind997.jpg

"Tarii." grunted Raymond. "Gift."

"Huh? Wait, this isn't...ohmygodohmygodohmygod"

Nothing of consequence was in the other room, so the party proceeded back to the Elven Moving Platform Thingy.

iwind998.jpg

"So ...how's it work?" asked Furetchen.

"You're the Elf, you tell me." Luka retorted.

"I'm an Elf and I have no clue." stated Balcerzak.

"My mother was an Elf and I found it and I STILL have no idea." grumbled Acacia.

"I wonder if it's powered by the gears..." mumbled Skitarii.

Raymond stood on the platform and began punching things that looked like they were designed to be punched and pulling things that looked like they were made for pulling. Shortly afterwards, the platform began to move. The party scrambled on and descended.

iwind999.jpg

iwind1000.jpg

IWIND1000.JPG! :D

iwind1001.jpg

iwind1002.jpg

"You know," began Balcerzak, "I don't really miss the masses of archers."

Skitarii chuckled. "Me either, Zak. Me either."

iwind1003.jpg

"Stairs down." stated Acacia helpfully.

"Thanks, Casey."

"No probs, boss!"

iwind1004.jpg

"My, oh my." mumbled Luka. "Hey, Furet, you use shortswords?"

"I can use anything you want me to, baby."

"Er, right. Okay, then! Have at."

iwind1005.jpg

iwind1006.jpg

iwind1007.jpg

Hot knife through fuckin' butter when we preload buffs.

iwind1008.jpg

"Stairs down." Acacia pointed out.

"And we're going down 'em, Casey." responded Furetchen.

iwind1009.jpg

"OH FOR FUCK'S --"

Actually, your knives were fine Furet. Especially Mr. THAC0 +5 <3

Canonically, Balcerzak is the oldest. I keep track of these things.

----------

iwind1010.jpg

"-- SAKE! GRAGH!"

"Calm down, Furet. If you weren't the leader they wouldn't target you. It's your fault."

"But I LIKE being the leader, Balcerzak!"

"Then quiet."

iwind1011.jpg

"Holy...Zak?"

"Yeah, Luka?"

"Got you a present?"

"Eh?"

Now, let it be said, the reason Balcerzak didn't have any plate by now is because plate mail weighs 50 points. Balcie's encumbrance limit is 70. Yeah. Notice the weight of this special platemail?

Acacia would probably use it better, but he's strong enough to wear real plate.

iwind1012.jpg

iwind1013.jpg

iwind1014.jpg

Furetchen heaved a sigh, then returned to give this unwelcome news to his party.

iwind1015.jpg

iwind1016.jpg

iwind1017.jpg

WALLOFRESISTS

iwind1018.jpg

"The...fuck?" asked Raymond, hefting a twenty-five pound lump of ...something.

"It...uh, looks like a piece of machinery. Better carry it around." said Skitarii.

"The hell you say!"

"Yeah, Raymond, the hell I say."

Raymond grumbled and stowed the thing away.

iwind1019.jpg

Luka giggled. "Hey, check it out! It's my crossbow's little brother!"

iwind1020.jpg

iwind1021.jpg

iwind1022.jpg

Upon ascending the final set of staircases, the party was confronted by the Lich-spirit from the entrance to the keep. The Lich babbled about stopping the Dwarves and finishing his spell, then vanished.

"...hey, guys?"

"Yeah, Case?"

"...think that's Larrel? That Lich we keep seeing?"

iwind1023.jpg

iwind1024.jpg

"Well, whatever it is I bet this is the Wizard's tower, gauging by how blowed up it is."

"Guess we're not going up, eh Furet?"

"Guess not. Backwards!"

iwind1025.jpg

"When all else fails, go south."

"...that's not a saying, Tarii."

"I say it is."

iwind1026.jpg

"...Luka?"

"On it. Excuse me, miss!"

"YOU SHALL NOT DESECRATE THIS TOWER!"

"Whoa hey now! Nobody said anything about that! Hey, I'm Luka."

"...I am Denaini, an acolyte of this sacred place."

"Good to meet you, darling. You seem to be well aware that you're a ghost."

"I am."

"So why's that?"

"Well, when the wizard Larrel cast his spell over the tower, something went horribly wrong. The life-force of everything in the region was sucked clean and the dead rose as skeletons while the living went insane as shadows. Some of us retained our personalities..."

"Ouch."

"It's difficult, but I tend this place to keep myself sane. The others ...they weren't so lucky. They haunt the upper floors of this tower, doomed to an eternity of madness unless somebody banishes them."

"So you want us to go kill the other clerics? We're pretty good at that sort of thing."

"It wouldn't even be killing! They're...it would be mercy."

"Well then, we'll hop to!"

"Godspeed, Luka."

"We'll be back, Denaini."

iwind1027.jpg

iwind1028.jpg

"So nothing new, really?" asked Furetchen.

"Nope, nothing really new. Actually, she WANTS us to clear the upper floors."

"Well that's a change!"

iwind1029.jpg

iwind1030.jpg

I'm clipping the update here today because this fight is gonna be a motherfucker. There're two Clerics (> Acolytes) who are actually moderately high-level Clerics. With MIND MELD. God help us all if they resist Luka's balls.

Okay, you guys get half an update today and a total break from narrative on account of some Forced Community Participation.

----------

iwind1031.jpg

iwind1032.jpg

PATHING FAILURE IS CREDIT TO TEAM

What happened was I stacked the whole party into the stairwell with Raymond and Acacia in the front, then had Skitarii Magic Missile a single Acolyte. Everything aggroed him instead of the tanks and on account of their stupidity (I think different enemy types have different AIs because undead are clingier than most) they kept trying to get to Skitarii while Acacia and Raymond cut them down. The Clerics either got Held by Luka or tied up trying to heal their dying comrades. Fight was easy.

iwind1033.jpg

Luka now has a choice of hammers!

iwind1034.jpg

iwind1035.jpg

iwind1036.jpg

My initial success is repeated. Balcerzak's health was from getting the edge of a Fireball from Skitarii. :awesome:

Note that I don't really know how this is possible without the pathing. There are, no fucking kidding, twenty Elf Clerics worth a thou apiece in this room, and they're all linked. Maybe some clever use of Raymond and Fireball.

iwind1037.jpg

iwind1038.jpg

iwind1039.jpg

And then began the Most Epic Waiting Game. There was ONE more Cleric in the room and he Dominated Raymond. Thinking quickly, Luka discharged his last Chromatic Orb on Raymond, successfully Holding him. The rest of the party chewed the Cleric apart and ran away to the staircase. By the time Raymond woke up, we were out of aggro range and had to wait out the Dominate. Did I mention that's THREE ROUNDS PER LEVEL?

Now, the important stuff; the reason I clipped this update short:

iwind1040.jpg

LOOK AT THAT SHIT.

The question here is who memorizes it? Skitarii has no offensive 4th-level spells (Confusion, Dimension Door), Acacia is 10k XP from learning 4th-level spells (and he has none), and Bard spell levels are fucked up but I'm PRETTY SURE Luka's about to learn 4th-level spells. What to do?

Finally, the moment I've been waiting for:

iwind1041.jpg

ELVEN MOTHERFUCKING CHAINMAIL.

For those of you unaware, the benefits of Elven Chainmail amount to, essentially, enchanted Chainmail that doesn't prohibit the use of Thief skills or the casting of Mage spells. That means the contenders for this shit boil down to Furetchen, Luka, and Acacia.

Furetchen: Furet would gain the ability to sneak in a semblance of armor. Combined with his high (19) DEX, he'd become the dodgy-assed motherfucker on the block and probably be able to fight on the front.

Luka, Acacia: Luke and Case would gain the ability to cast all of their spells while armored. Take note of the fact that Case can wear up to fullplate (I just have to take it off for him to cast, which is a free action) but he also gains the ability to sneak. Luke would get to use all his Bard spells, and go from wearing no armor to enchanted Chainmail.

TELL ME WHO AND TELL ME WHY, GUYS

----------

iwind1042.jpg

Also, more machinery. How many 25lb pieces must I lug around?

When everything else fails, abuse the retardedness of the AI. Awesome.

My two cents:

Give the spell to Acacia, I guess. He's got the least HP and at the same time sometimes also has a reason to fight at the front, so he can probably make good use of that thing.

As for the chainmail, probably give it to whoever of those three fights at the front the most and at the same time gains the most benefits from wearing that thing. Acacia probably won't really need it if he can already wear regular platemail. Luka would arguably have the greatest benefits from it, but does he actually fight at the front much? If not, I'd probably give it to Furet.

I saw the world Invulnerability and I awesomefaced. Um. I guess it should go to whoever uses it best, obviously. I guess we could wait 'till Acacia (looking at the stupidly high amount of EXP we get. Unless "party gains 1100 exp" means "1100 exp is split amongst the party" which would kind of suck.), but I'm no expert.

As much as I totally want the ELVEN MOTHERFUCKING CHAINMAIL for myself... Furet could probably use it better. Then gimme Furet's armor or something and zing.

You get 4 pieces of machinery if I recall correctly, and yes, I am well aware you are doing better than I did... T.T My people had better hp and probably better armor classes than yours and they STILL get creamed. Lucky me. Well, I rarely actually lose, but it's still annoying having to baby my poor mage running around with her like 40-50 hp compared to everyone elses that reaches up to over 100. T_T Curse my horrible luck in absolutely everything. Or maybe it's just a bad idea relying on my mage so much... >.> seeing as my first solution to every battle is GOGOGOGOGOFIREBALLGOGOGOGOGO. :D Which... generally involves putting my mage and my thief on the front lines... my mage to cast, and my thief to show where the enemies are. Aaaand it goes wrong sometimes which quickly dissolves into plan B: gogogo my fighters! Who promptly get whacked... and that's how my battles go! And it works! Mostly. Also: Am I allowed to give my opinion even if I'm not really part of the game? :sweatdrop: If so, I vote for Furetchen getting the chainmail. Then another front line fighter, which is good. :) Well, for me anyway lol. Also: If you ever get the 4th level spell Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, it is absurdly useful. It basically makes whoever you cast it on freeze, and they are essentially immune to everything as long as the spell lasts. It works really well both to freeze an enemy you don't want to fight right away, OR if one of your dudes is dying you can cast it on them to save them. It has pretty quick casting time too, so you don't need to worry about that a lot.

Edited by Luna

I saw the world Invulnerability and I awesomefaced. Um. I guess it should go to whoever uses it best, obviously. I guess we could wait 'till Acacia (looking at the stupidly high amount of EXP we get. Unless "party gains 1100 exp" means "1100 exp is split amongst the party" which would kind of suck.), but I'm no expert.

As much as I totally want the ELVEN MOTHERFUCKING CHAINMAIL for myself... Furet could probably use it better. Then gimme Furet's armor or something and zing.

1: PARTY splits 1100 XP. Then, split 1/6th of that into thirds to see how much each of Case's classes get. Awesome!

2: You don't get any armor. Leather prohibits spellcasting, so I just leave you with bracers of AC8.

1: PARTY splits 1100 XP. Then, split 1/6th of that into thirds to see how much each of Case's classes get. Awesome!

2: You don't get any armor. Leather prohibits spellcasting, so I just leave you with bracers of AC8.

And here I was wondering why the level-ups weren't much closer. XD

In regards to the elven mail... I'd say to give it to Furetchen.

This update brought to you pants-free.

----------

iwind1043.jpg

Bada-boom, bada-bing motherfuckers. Yes, Elven Chainmail appears to be nothing other than a recoloring of one of your base clothings. Furetchen, in chainmail, is actually in green spandex with black chainmail highlights. Who says stripperriffic only applies to women? We got us some estrogen brigade bait here in this Elf.

Also, AC-2. That's on par with Zak and his new enchanted plate mail.

----------

iwind1044.jpg

"Up we go!" shouted Luka. "Furetchen first!"

"Seriously, man?"

"What? It always happens like that anyway."

iwind1045.jpg

"INC...w-wait, we're not under attack?"

"Seems not."

"Huh. I...didn't expect that."

iwind1046.jpg

iwind1047.jpg

"Oh for fu-" began Raymond.

iwind1048.jpg

Dominated. Fucking figures. Acacia is immune to basically all confuse effects, maybe that includes domination?

So, since it takes level*3 rounds to recover, let's look at some useless information!

iwind1049.jpg

iwind1050.jpg

iwind1051.jpg

iwind1052.jpg

iwind1053.jpg

iwind1054.jpg

ahahahaha raymond

iwind1055.jpg

iwind1056.jpg

Furetchen can stand toe-to-toe with one of the Clerics and eventually win. Luka, on the other hand, can loot the room.

iwind1057.jpg

"Holy sh- ...a whole barrel of holy water?" Luka hefted the cask up. "Somebody wants this, I GUARANTEE you that."

iwind1058.jpg

Wait, where's the Write Magic? I want that for Skita....

priest1.jpg

priest2.jpg

priest3.jpg

LEVEL UP NOW GODDAMMIT BALCERZAK WHY IS 9 SO FAR AWAY

iwind1059.jpg

And an item with charges. I HATE items with charges. Infinite use or vendor.

Two of the other rooms held nothing but shitty loot. One of the remaining rooms held nothing at all. The last?

iwind1060.jpg

And then some shitty loot.

iwind1061.jpg

----------

iwind1062.jpg

"Down we go, back to see Denaini~~~" sang Luka.

"Dude, she's ...you know, dead."

"That wouldn't bug you, Tarii, why should it bug me?"

"what."

iwind1063.jpg

"Hey there!"

"Oh, hello Luka. How fares your quest?"

"We put all your comrades to rest."

"Thank you. This brings me peace. Take this, though it's not much."

"Oh, it'll do fine. Thanks, Denaini. ...hang on a sec."

"Yes?"

"You want some holy water for your garden?"

"Oh, my! That would be delightful!"

"Well, guessat? I found me a whole barrel of it."

"Oh, thank you Luka! Thank you ever so much!"

"Don't mention it."

iwind1064.jpg

iwind1065.jpg

iwind1066.jpg

iwind1067.jpg

Luka could scribe Minor Globe of Invulnerability now; leave it for Acacia or do that?

iwind1068.jpg

"Yo, Tarii!"

"Hm?"

"Got you something."

"Ooh! Thank you kindly."

iwind1069.jpg

iwind1070.jpg

iwind1071.jpg

So we go down, offload to the merchant (I LOVE THIS GUY), and head up the rightside stairs. Counterclickwiseism, ho!

iwind1072.jpg

"Well, this is ominous. Go talk to that chick, Luka."

"Gladly, chief."

iwind1073.jpg

"Excuse me, miss!"

"Huh? How did you... you must have fought through the hordes to get here. Why?"

"Er, I'm Luka and me and my friends are looking for Larrel. Evil scours the land and we need his power to find the source."

"Hm. I live for quests such as these. I am Kaylessa, once-weapons-master of the Tower."

"Good to meet you. So where can we find Larrel?"

"He has secreted himself away in his tower ever since he became a Lich. You may have seen a ...sending of him patrolling and raving as you explored the tower."

"...huh, Casey was right. Yeah, we've seen it."

"If you seek to meet the wizard, you must prove yourself to me. My former comrades guard the upper floors, ever ready for the invasion that will never come. They don't deserve this - please, give them rest."

"Hah! That's all? We're pretty good at that. I'll be back in a jiff."

"Good luck then, Luka."

iwind1074.jpg

"Aw, man. Thwarted. YO, CHIEF!"

iwind1075.jpg

"OH FUCK KILL IT"

iwind1076.jpg

Furetchen rounded on the Bard. "You trying to get me killed, Luka?"

"Nope. Just curious."

iwind1077.jpg

"It's unlocked, but somebody ELSE can open it."

Raymond grunted and swung the gate open.

iwind1078.jpg

iwind1079.jpg

"Well, that was sorta pointless except to make Furetchen bleed." observed Balcerzak.

"You don't say. Now fix me, dammit!"

Balcerzak sighed. "Furetchen? You're still just not that important to me."

I thought there was some stuff in there... pretty sure I found something at least... weird. That tower's fun by the way.

If you don't have Icewind Dale II... BUY IT. I'd follow that thread. :D

Edited by Luna