What languages do you speak?

Darros

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

English and Chinese fluent. Chinese better than English unless it comes down to technical terms.

I can read Latin better than speak and listen, but I can still speak a little. 5 years in school. Currently translating Vergil's Aeneid.

And then various phrases from various different languages. I know basic Japanese grammar patterns, and have decent pronunciation, but can't actually speak it for shit.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

I can read Latin better than speak and listen, but I can still speak a little. 5 years in school. Currently translating Vergil's Aeneid..

Virgil? What a wimp. Wouldn't last five seconds against 'ol Ἡρόδοτος.

Edited by Le Communard

Fluent English

Proficient in French (I probably would die if I had to talk to a native French speaker, though)

Fairly proficient in Latin (Translating the Aeneid next year, so I'm a year behind Luminescent Blade)

Experience:

English: Life speaker

French: Equivalent to a French 300 class as of now. AP French=French 400, and I'm taking that next year.

Latin: Third year Latin Student. Most Latin grammar is down, and vocabulary is fairly extensive, although there's still a lot of work to be done.

Basically, I am fluent in English, could talk to someone in French if needed, but may not be able to understand a full Latin conversation. IDK. Spoken Latin is confusing sometimes.

Edited by Flashpoint_1230

Native Portuguese, somewhat decent English, some Japanese. Notions of Spanish and Latin but they don't really count.

6th year of Japanese, though that's pretty much elementary school level speech, if not lower.

Indeed. Five years here and my body still isn't ready for JLPT level 2, which is supposed to be proof of an intermediate level of proficiency.