Introducing someone to the FE series.

Fei Mao

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which one out of the choices below?

• FE1 (Dark Dragon and Sword of Light)
    • FE2 (Gaiden)
    • FE3 (Mystery of the Emblem)
    • FE4(Genealogy of the Holy War)
    • FE5(Thracia 776)
    • FE6(Sword of Seals)
    • FE7(Blazing Sword)
    • FE8(The Sacred Stones)
    • FE9(Path of Radiance)
    • FE10(Radiant Dawn)
    • FE11(Shadow Dragon)
    • FE12(New Mystery of the Emblem)

What part of FE7 Marcus, Seth, or Titania "isn't that great?" And since when was a balanced army a good thing in FE?

Sorry for the late reply, but I'm not saying they're not great resources or anything, only that newbies might think they can solo the whole game with them when that's not really the best way to play the game. When I say balanced army, I just mean having more than 1 or 2 units you can really rely upon. I've seen endgame teams that consisted of nothing more than a Level 20 Marcus and a bunch of near base level prepromotes. That's not a very efficient way to play the game, right?

So, I guess to answer your question, the impression I got from his post is that "not that great" means they won't always be the invincible demigods they appear to be at the beginning of the game (except for Seth, maybe? I don't think I've ever actually used him throughout the whole game). I'm not saying they aren't fantastic units or anything.

Edited by tiff

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I guess to answer your question, the impression I got from his post is that "not that great" means they won't always be the invincible demigods they appear to be at the beginning of the game (except for Seth, maybe? I don't think I've ever actually used him throughout the whole game). I'm not saying they're bad or anything.

Yes. Seth can legitly solo the game on HM with little effort. Though, a beginner won't know to switch to a sword in C6 near that Halberd guy or how to three-turn C17/C19 so they don't have to deal with annoying reinforcements, so they might find it a lot of trouble if they don't have a full team.

only that newbies might think they can solo the whole game with them when that's not really the best way to play the game.

But you can solo the whole game with them... (a bit of exaggeration, but close).

When I say balanced army, I just mean having more than 1 or 2 units you can really rely upon. I've seen endgame teams that consisted of nothing more than a Level 20 Marcus and a bunch of near base level prepromotes. That's not a very efficient way to play the game, right?

My endgame team consists of 5 base level prepromotes, 2 healers that can't attack, and Athos, and I clear the map faster than most other people.

But you can solo the whole game with them... (a bit of exaggeration, but close).

My endgame team consists of 5 base level prepromotes, 2 healers that can't attack, and Athos, and I clear the map faster than most other people.

You're much better at FE than any newbie, though, I'd assume.

You're much better at FE than any newbie, though, I'd assume.

That's beside the point. FE7 endgame isn't hard. Athos hits everything super hard and doors open one at a time. There's nothing stopping you from ganging up on every room as they open. The only ways to make it hard are

1) not using brave weapons

2) not using Athos

3) not using status staves

I guess your average newbie player wouldn't even use 1 and 3 in the last chapter of the game for whatever stupid reason.

Edited by dondon151

That's beside the point. FE7 endgame isn't hard. Athos hits everything super hard and doors open one at a time. There's nothing stopping you from ganging up on every room as they open. The only ways to make it hard are

2) not using Athos

I guess your average newbie player wouldn't even use 1 and 3 in the last chapter of the game for whatever stupid reason.

You're talking about inexperienced players here. You may think of them as "stupid" reasons, but someone playing the game for the first time without any sort of guides whatsoever is not going to know as much. It's entirely possible for a newer player to have missed all the status staves entirely, for example (pretty sure I did on my first run, seeing as two are in sidequests), or if they have them they may not think of them as very useful (and it doesn't help that Merlinus isn't deployed). It's also possible to have used all the Brave weapons the player got by that point, and due to their locations some may easily have not been acquired. I didn't even use Brave weapons in my S rank run because I didn't want to take the chance with Funds (and I didn't even have the Brave Sword).

I don't find Light hard either, but to act as though it should be easy for anyone just isn't right.

I wonder what troll voted for FE5 in the poll.

Hahaha, they would never play another FE game again.

Either way, FE7 ENM is super simple, it'd probably be the best game to introduce someone to the series with. Not absurdly easy like FE8, long story mode, multiple game modes and a reasonably tough difficulty jump should they unlock it and choose to try. Plus it's what most of us started out with and we seem to like it well enough..:P.

2) not using Athos

New players could have easily either broken their Braves/Status or missed them entirely. Athos should be able to break the chapter anyway but the Berserk Druid can still fuck people.

As someone who has introduced quite a few people to FE, you guys need to understand that a lot if not all of these people do not know about supports, don't know when to conserve weapons, don't know about growths, how to recruit most of the cast, or anything. These guys probably will not sit there with a guide or database or anything next to them, and will be playing it blind.

For example, I recall the first time I beat FE7, I had to have Lyn chip away at 5 damage per hit (doubling IIRC) with the Sol Katti, as Eliwood and Hector both had under 38HP, Athos was dead, and no one else could hurt it. Even my FE10 playthrough was a pain (I'm still not sure how I managed to get Laura to third tier, let alone why I fielded her AND Rhys in 4-E).

As for FE4. Yeah, good luck with second gen when you missed Ayra, paired Edain with Azel and Levin with Sylvia, missed the Hero Axe and Pursuit Ring, don't know that Lachesis can make Elto leave, etc. etc. Shit, have fun with First Gen, how many people are going to take Sigurd's "Hey Levin you should go visit your mother" seriously and actually do so? Oh, and what about Julius and Ishtar in Ch. 10, I bet they don't know killing Ishtar will make Julius leave (and will instead lose a character to it, which is too bad since they probably missed Hannibal and are thus losing someone somewhat valuable), or actually recruiting Julia and getting Narga?

Should I go on?

Edited by Paperblade

Hahaha, they would never play another FE game again.

Either way, FE7 ENM is super simple, it'd probably be the best game to introduce someone to the series with. Not absurdly easy like FE8, long story mode, multiple game modes and a reasonably tough difficulty jump should they unlock it and choose to try. Plus it's what most of us started out with and we seem to like it well enough..:P.

FE8 only seems absurdly easy because you've played the game so many times. When I first played FE8, it kicked my ass more times than I can count (but I didn't use prepromotes, so that might have contributed). And for a new player, that kind of easiness is something you want so you don't end up chipping at the boss with the one character you figured out how to train properly.

Edited by Mr. Know-it-all-Anouleth

I don't think FE8 is as laughably easy as people say as long as you don't use Seth at all. But even without Seth it is still easy (maybe it wouldn't be if it was my first or second FE game though). I don't think I have any problems (except when I'm way too reckless) with it after my units have enough Luck to not be randomly killed by critical hits.

Edited by Axie

FE9 is the game to start with. Not FE7. FE7 gets too difficult for a new player very quickly. FE9 has a nice slow learning curve.

Of course, I'm talking about Easy Mode for both. The first time I ever played ENM, I thought it was tough. Now it's just boring.

• 2 weeks later...

Although I voted for FE7, my second choice for a newcomer would be Shadow Dragon, as it's very simple and it's got Marth in it. After all, the first question people usually ask about a Fire Emblem game is "Does it have Marth or Roy in it?"

As much as I'd like to go with FE7, with Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance close behind, they're not just being sold new anymore, meaning you either get lucky in the used section or have to get lucky online.

Also, while Wiis are backwards compatible, there is a chance that the person you want to introduce the series to may not have a spare GBA or GBA-compatible DS lying around, especially if they're new to video games in general.

So, unless you want to lend your copy to a friend, I'd have to go with Shadow Dragon, as the only other choice (Radiant Dawn,) is 1. definitely not for beginners, and 2. meant to be played after Path of Radiance.

A friend of mine was curious so I gave him my patched FE4 to try. Not the best idea, he didn't realise you could save midmap and Azel soon kicked the bucket.

Although I did get my 10 year-old sister to do the first 10 chapters of FE3 Book 1. The lack of weapon triangles and other stuff meant I could tell her who was good and she'd do the rest.