Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 22: The Hunt

Phoenix

Levski

Lev smiled a bit, a bit sad by the potential murders yes, but also slightly amused by her over objectivity.

Lev: Where we come from is relevant, just probably not to any of these demon business. So Flemeth, may have killed your parents, yet you don't feel anything? No anger or resentment, nothing like that? I think I could understand that actually, if your reasons are what I think they are that is.

Isotov

Charlotte was going to take a nap, at a time like this? Thinking about it further they weren't in any immediate danger, but it was always a bit strange that they usually wound up sleeping in their own carnage. Iso wasn't planning on really falling asleep, but at the very least he wanted to rest his eyes until it was time to go. He supposed Charlotte was going to do the same. Suddenly he remembered that his support wasn't coming from Kiev anymore, but from Kelas. Opening his eyes he faced her.

Iso: Sorry, I didn't realize I was leaning on you.

Looking over his shoulder and to his side, he didn't find anything else he could possibly lean up against anywhere nearby.

Iso: Huh.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It's fine," Kelas replied tiredly. "At least you're all right now... you scare the hell out of me sometimes, you know that?" she muttered, leaning over to hug Isotov for a moment. "Waking up to find that you've gone and got knocked out again isn't exactly a laugh." She looked off to the side. "...I guess if you need a rest before everyone leaves, you can lean on me," she added, slightly embarrassed. Well if Charlotte's asleep she can't see it anyway, then she can't make jokes about it, she thought.

"I suppose it did," replied Tas, "Not many on the ranch took up arms either, even though we're sometimes attacked by bandits or wyverns whose territory we're passing through durring a delivery. I chose to take up the lance in case I was ever attacked, though it's not like I really had well-qualified teachers. Irina is teaching me now, though. I've only just started under her tutoring, but I expect that I'll improve eventually. In exchange, I'm teacher her more about wyvern care. Have you had much experience?"

Morgan

"Not particularly, no. I never knew my parents, so it is not as if their hypothetical deaths would be breaking some form of attachment. At times, I have wondered what direction my life would have taken had Flemeth chosen some other child. I think Flemeth did me a favor really, as a farmgirl or somesuch I would have no way to exert my will upon others. Flemeth gave me power, selfish as her reasons may have been, and with that power I have a freedom of a sort. Those who are weak are subject to the whims of the strong." Morgan replied to Lev.

Charlotte

Charlotte heard Isotov's voice and opened her eyes. He seemed to be resting on...Kelas. Well, now that Katie's gone...better leave these two alone. "I think I'll rest in the carriage." she said, getting up and doing just that.

Tristan

"No, not really. Mother and Father would never approve of a formal instructor, so the best I could do was have my aunt teach me swordplay while she was on leave. That wasn't very often, so I'm mostly self-taught...probably why I'm not very good." Tristan added, smiling a little.

Edited by -Cynthia-

"Well, then, we're both beginners," Tas encouraged, holding out his hand for Tristan to shake with a friendly smile, "I know we come from different standings in society, but everyone seems to be pretty much on equal terms here. We should check in with each other and see how we're doing more often. Agreed?"

Isotov

Iso: Yeah I'm sorry about that. To be honest if I knew that by the time I got back only that woman was left, I probably wouldn't have attacked and simply focused on making sure you guys were okay. I guess I came back expecting to have to be offensive just to get out alive.

When Kelas offered to let him simply go back to leaning against her, he thought about it for a second. He didn't want to be rude, but apparently she didn't mind. Charlotte had left rather suddenly too, but he supposed she wasn't much for napping on the ground. Neither was he, but it didn't actually bother him. Frankly he'd been there enough times before to not really even care. With that, he carefully leaned back up against Kelas and began to dose off a bit.

Iso: ... thanks.

Levski

"Yeah no kidding." Lev thought thinking of the embarrassing difference in power between himself and Ivanko. It was kind of an interesting viewpoint given what Lev had seen. What was strong when a wyvern three times as large as any other and powerful enough to slaughter entire battalions was at the mercy of a single man? He wanted to do a bit of redefining but preferred to simply carry on with the conversation instead and save that stuff for later.

Lev: To be fair it takes more than just strength to "exert one's will" ... unless you're just going to start abusing mind magic. Notice you couldn't talk Kamilla out of these crap. To be fair, I couldn't either, but then again, I only had a few hours to convince her and quite frankly, the girl hates flying and wyverns. Not a small disadvantage there. But ... yeah, I can't see you milking cows, chasing chickens, or plowing either.(Not in that dress. You know that reminds me, I ought to see how much time we have before we head out, shouldn't I?)

M

"Kamilla is more powerful than she appears. While she cannot defend herself, her abilities aid her allies greatly. Kamilla also has a different sort of strength- the strength of her convictions. Delusional convictions, but convictions nonetheless. It is opponents that believe in what they are fighting for that are the most dangerous." Morgan responded to Lev.

"But yes, we were unable to exert our will upon Kamilla, despite being more powerful. Those with strength must be willing to do what is necessary to achieve their goals. We did not, and we have paid the price today as we will undoubtedly do again."

T

Tristan happily shook Tas's hand. "Agreed. In times like these, I think I can use as many friends as I can find."

"That seems to be the case for amny people," Tas agreed, participating in the handshake before releasing the prince's hand, "So, should we rejoin the others?" (I wonder what's bothering Namid? Does he smell something?)

Levski

Lev: True enough. (I owe her a discount for these fiasco heheh.) So Kamilla's fighting for the Goddess apparently ... and she believes in it. So what are we fighting for exactly? Are we really going to save the world here?

Tristan

"Yes, I suppose we'll be leaving soon. Though Viveka can't walk, and a lot of the others seem pretty injured as well." Tristan replied to Tas.

Morgan

"If we do not die before doing so, presumably yes. By proving that are stronger than the Lord of Azure Flame, we will not let him exert his will upon us. After that..." Morgan's voice trailed off. "Well, one thing at a time. Let's visit Helenos once we are ready." she said to Lev.

As Tessa was kneeling over Aiya, trying to figure out what had went wrong, Arrin had come up behind her on her left side, and suddenly began talking. She hadn't noticed at all, and at the surprise, she gave a bit of a jump. It seemed the boy wanted to help out, but had no idea what to do, which... thinking back on it was actually kind of common for him. A good heart, but not sure where to put his efforts. There was certainly no time to teach him any first aid now, but maybe she should in the future perhaps. Something more than how to use a vulnerary at least.

"Ah, Arrin... Hmm, I don't have much time for you here, but... yes maybe there is something you could do for me?" Addressing him quickly, she came up with a task, actually an important one, and if he could take care of it, that would be quite the burden off her shoulders. "In the excitement here, I seem to have misplaced my sword, and it's a very important one. Would you please find it for me?"

Turning back to Aiya now, without waiting for a response, she answered the woman's scared question from just a moment ago. "I... honestly don't know what happened. By all rights the spell should have worked, should have cleared things right up. Let me give it another shot, shall we?"

Mustering herself again for another go, she tried channeling prayers and power into the staff. The process was much less robotic than before, likely because the explosion she'd had at Irina had been much like a pressure relief valve on her emotional state. Yet in spite of this, the bulb atop the staff barely managed to reach a weak glow at all, and further efforts just brought a sense of tightness, and heaviness to her chest, making it harder to breath, and nearly causing her to break into a coughing fit of her own without adding any progress. Head swirling, starting to panic, Tessa could only wonder why.

"Nothing's happening... Why isn't it working? I'm sorry, Aiya!"

Chase looked at the little wyvern intently. Why's it so small? he wondered. Is it some kind of rare species, or a defect, or what? He pondered the simple question for several moments before reaching the painfully obvious conclusion that it was probably baby. ... I can't believe I'm afraid of things like this, he mused. The bowman nearly smiled before remembering Krinkov- and worse, the colossal dragon they had seen at the graveyard- and paled for a moment. Lost in his own little world, he droned out his surroundings during his thoughts until Morgan's mention of going after Helenos snapped him back into reality. "Wait, whaaat? We're going after Helenos? I can't possibly have missed so much that we can now kill an ancient dragon..."

Armor Aches

The man shrugged. "I guess I should fight on foot, for a bit. I've done it before. But, really, it's you I'm concerned about. Without that chest plate, archers become even more of a threat than ever for you and Sunny. It really would be a shame for you to die like that, you know..." He would have said more, but it would be improper, and right now, Derek didn't really feel like accidentally offending anyone.

No Sympathy

With disgust, the general untangled Reika and Esphyr and left them on the ground. Then, after retrieving it from the ground, Alex tossed the latter a vulnerary.

"Use it," she said, shaking her head. "By the Goddess, why is it you people can't even fix minor injuries yourselves, without relying on the healers?"

A View from the sky

Back, and forth, back and forth! Always running errands! Loc almost had enough. The only reason he let Mistress tie this heavy letter to him was because she gave him saltier seeds, his favorite! It would be a little while before he was back with Master's group, even with the thing Mistress did to Loc to make him go faster... Or not. They had moved, he saw, and the pigeon chirped with delight! Oh, how easy would it be, now! And the boy was even there, too! He swooped down, and perched on the boy's shoulder, cooing.

No response came from the clearly wounded mercenary girl as waves of nausea swept over her body. Her grip on Reika was weak at best, meaning the thief could break away with ease, but still she had not. As delirium from blood loss started to set in, weird things started to pass through Esphyr's head. Thoughts and notions she would have considered insane, even retarded, otherwise. "Cuddles... I need cuddles... So weak... without Cuddles." she mumbled as she tried to pull Reika in closer, attempting to embrace the thief.

"What the?! What?! Cuddles! Gah!" Reika said panickly, shoving Esphyr off of her and getting up, glaring at the mercenary.

Only person allowed to do that would be brother and even then, I'd have to sock him to get him to stop.

"Hell is wrong with you? All the blood getting to your brain? That's saying something, considering how small it is."

Alf meanwhile had looked down on them, cracking a smile and covering his mouth, trying his bet not to laugh but failing miserably.

Tessa's inability to heal Aiya sobered him up pretty quickly but Alex tossed a vulnerary down, so he rubbed it over Esphyr's wounds, healing them. After all, he might as well be helpful and heal someone he had the power to.

Edited by Red Magister

Pary:

Pary stood, before hearing the commotion. He walked over towards Alex and the others. "Have no fear. I have arrived." Pary quickly healed Alex before sitting back down.

That's pretty arrogant of you, Alferis thought wearily, but still glad Pary was going to heal someone.

"Yeah, heal Aiya over there. Tessa's having trouble and there's nothing vulneraries can do I think."

Pary:

"I'm sure Charlotte and Beau have it under control. I need to go count my money and kick orphans prepare dinner for the troupe." Pary hurried off gather firewood, before coming back and sitting to light it.

Pary:

"I am being payed for general healing and medicinal duties. If my assistants are currently taking care of others, I have no place at the bedside. I would simply get in the way. You wouldn't know that however. You can't heal or save people. Now, our reserves seem to be low in proteins and fresh fruit. You and Reika need to go scavenge for fruits in the forest. Wouldn't want someone to catch scurvy. I'm sorry, that was rude of me. Scurvy is a disease that occurs from not eating fresh fruit. You probably have it. I can tell your diet is very poor. Oh, there I go again. A disease is a type of sickness. Sickness makes people weak and unable to fight. You must understand that. It's all you think about." Pary stood, with a cast Iron pot in his hands. He walked over to go fill it with water.

"Oh. Well, I'm sure the healers can handle that, right?" asked Tas, "And there still are vulneraries. ...Or is it something that a staff can't heal? I haven't had much experience with them, so I wouldn't know. ...Here; we can talk more when we get closer to the group. I'm not too comfortable being this far when this group seems to attract so many enemies. Should we walk or fly?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When he'd finished healing Vivika, Beau walked up to the man who had carried her to the carrage. For a moment he was silent. Deciding to forgo the question, he simply began healing him. There wasn't much for his staff to mend, however, since the man had already downed a vulnerary. Satisfied, he looked about. When his eyes caught sight of the senior priest in the distance, his glare locked onto him vevomously for a few seconds. Then, before the man could see him, Beau walked up to Vivika, who was blocking the carrage's door.

Again, for a moment, he simply stood there. Then, he adressed the woman, "Please move for a moment; I am tired and would like to rest in the carrage." With a motion of his eyes, the young heir indicated that she was blocking the way.

Tessa seemed flustered, and confused. What was clear, however, was that the healing had failed once again.

The troubadour seemed stricken by the realization, a troubled and worried apology was spoken, and Tessa looked as though she was about to cry.

Lifting her arm with what strength she could muster, Aiya cupped the younger girl's face. "The Goddess... I saw the Goddess, Tessa... she seemed... angry... I don't know... what it is that I did to anger her... but you don't have to apologize to me... I think... my time is up..."

Tracing her hand down Tessa's throat and shoulder gently, Aiya choked out a further comment.

"If I don't see him again... take care of Damian for me, will you? I think... I think he will need you, Tessa..." Aiya croaked out, her hand falling to her side as she slipped back into unconsciousness.

Viveka

After Viveka moved out of the way so Beau could reached the carriage interior she tried to smile but it collapsed into a frown instantly. She definitely needed armor ... because she was grunt now.

Viveka: You know it's a funny thing sometimes. The crap we have to endure for ... whatever greater good we're fighting for. Things were a hell of a lot simpler when I was just trying to rank up, outperform people and enjoy my down-time.

Wanting to stay off the subject of herself so she wouldn't begin ranting to the man again, she continued.

Viveka: So, what exactly are you fighting for here? Are you helping Charlotte still?

Levski

Lev: Stronger than the Lord of Azure Flame, huh? Well we've obviously got a ways to go still, but it's not as hopeless as I would have thought it was before finding out how many people have failed to take out even one of us in a fight. Dumb luck, destiny, I have no idea what it is. So exactly when are we heading out exactly?

Looking over to the people crowding around Aiya, Lev's face turned to one slight disappointment.

Lev: Looks like something's up over there. Who's messed up these time?

Edited by Phoenix

Luc Altair

Luc kept to his waiting. Tessa was the healer he would trust to try and help the reformists Luc had downed earlier. Though, perhaps at the very least Luc should check on them as he waited.

The Fargo

Well, there was one passenger.

A Paul

Oh man, hearing about the high-opinion-broad going on and on about how she shouldn't have to do grunt work was just delicious. Oh, the shit storm that would ensue if the dear Luc got a hold of that. In fact, Paul should totally tell him.

The Lady was angry? Aiya, you think it was supposed to be your time to go? Impossible. Why would she have granted any healing at all in that case? Why does nothing make sense? Tessa's head spun a little in confusion.

"No. You're wrong Aiya, you will see Damian again, you have to. And I―" don't have to apologize to you do I? But... to Her... of course. Beg apology and forgiveness for what I've done. Her mouth had stopped moving as her train of thought had leapt clear from one set of rails to the next, leaving her floored with the implications. Just how many offenses had she committed? The healer shuddered to think of them.

Selfishness. Impiety. Wrath. Murder. And that was just getting started. No wonder... no wonder The Lady had on occasion been reluctant to grant some of her requests. No wonder she'd even been warned through the spell backfires. Everything was falling into place.

Closing her eyes and clasping her hands, she prayed for forgiveness. O Heavenly Lady, please acknowledge me, your unworthiest of supplicants. Just how far astray from the path of righteousness you would have me walk I have found myself only You can say, but realization is dawning on me that the gulf is great between where I am, and where I ought. Heaviest sin on my chest is the death of your fellow servant, though our paths were different, and I have fought when I should have continued to talk. Please take her into your bosom, and treat her kindly and gently, and reward her as her lot deserves. Not only that, but I have slipped, treated the task of healing as a burden or chore, rather than the as the sacred and uplifting experience You designed it to be. Please, I implore you, turn not your back from my patients because of mine own faults! If punishment you must deliver, let it be laid upon my body though they be healed.

"One more time, Aiya. It's not yet too late," eyes now shining, she tried to reassure the woman, as she reached for her staff and put her full heart into the healing effort.