Forum D&D

Soren37

So I'll be running a campaign pretty soon, and I thought that it would be neat to run it on the forums as well. I'll be using 3.5 rules. Any books are allowed for rules and classes. Just let me know what book you're taking your info from. I'll be looking for about 4-6 players, but I can take more if we need. I'll also be DMing.

TRIP CAMPAIGN

In this world, magic is a powerful force. The Arcane spellcasters control their magic through practice and natural talent; the Divine spellcasters receive their spells from their patron deities, and the Wild mages are insane. The ley lines power manifests itself oddly in certain individuals, making them magically powerful, yet their mind erodes to what has only been described as "euphoria" or "gone". To keep them separated, they've been dubbed "The Crazies". To control the number of Crazies in society, the government has constructed what's called Crazy Homes. Unfortunately, you now all find yourself trapped in a Crazy Home.

So, set up. Please put your initial character stats in spoilers. As a special request, please roll a d6 and let me know what number you get.

Dimitriss (Level 1 Catfolk Rogue; LA +1)

NE

HP-8

AC-19 (10 + DEX + Leather Armour + Natural)

STR-9 (-1)

DEX-22 (+6) (Note: I love natural eighteens :awesome:)

CON-15 (+2)

INT-16 (+3)

WIS-9 (-1)

CHA-12 (+1)

Speed-40 ft.

Initiative-+6

Base Attack Bonus--1

Grapple--1

FORT Save-+2

REFX Save-+8

WILL Save--1

Racial/Class Features

Low Light Vision

Sneak Attack +1d6 damage

Trapfinding

Feats

Point Blank Shot

Weapons

Short Sword (-1 Hit, 1d6-1 damage, 19-20/*2 Critical, Add 1d6 if used in a Sneak Attack)

Masterwork Shortbow (+7 Hit, +8 if within 30 ft. of target, 1d6 damage, 1d6+1 if within 30 ft. of target, *3 Critical, Add 1d6 if Sneak Attacking from less than 30 ft. 60 ft. Range)

Daggers*6 (-1 Hit Melee, +6 Hit Ranged, 1d4-1 Melee, 1d4 Ranged, 19-20/*2 Critical, Add 1d6 if Sneak Attacking, 10 ft. Range).

If the party is splitting up, I'll separate the characters into different spoiler tags. Please keep all rolls true. If you need rules and/or dice, please use this website. It has all of the essential 3.5 rules, as well as some links on the right hand side that can help with dice rolls and spell filters.

So, spots are open!

1. Grimsworth of Natal (Half-Elf Bard)

2. Dark Sage

3. Asmodeus

4. Balcerzak (Silver Dragon Bloodline (Major) Dragon Shaman)

5. eclipse

6. Open!

Edited by Soren37

TAKING A SPOT

I'll get my character up in a bit, but I must go to the shops for now...but the character will be a half-elf bard.

EDIT: Rolled a 2.

EDIT II: Character sheet in full. I couldn't find details as to how much cash to spend on starting gear, so I made an educated guess based vaguely on your catfish rogue.

Edited by Grimsworth of Natal

Is it going to be text based or would we have sessions? I really don't have the time or temperament for text based play.

Text based. Essentially this is how it'll run (in my mind).

DM Post

All of you are in *blank* and you see a *blank*. To the right are 5 doors, and to the left are some beds. What would you like to do?

Player One Post

I'd like to Search the room for treasure. I rolled a 15. 15+6=21.

Player Two Post

I'd like to sleep on the beds.

Player 3 Post

I'm going to check the room for traps. I'm going to take 20 to do so.

Player 4 Post

I'll play my music to help Player 3.

DM Replies

Player 1

After searching the room quite intently, you do not find anything of value.

Player 2

The moment you apply your weight to the bed, dust and spores fly from the sheets to meet you. You must now make a Fortitude Save.

Player 3

Two of the doors had hidden pit traps. You make a mental note of which doors they are (_ X _ _ X).

Player 4

Your songs helped the rogue concentrate and you were able to assist in the finding of two pit traps.

And so on and so forth.

See, that takes all the spontaneity and serendipity out of it for me. For me role-play is about act of group creation, an exercise in shared imagination, and half the fun is just being there. I feel like such a mechanical system just turns it into a just a game, like it was postal diplomacy or something like that. Some people can still dig it, but I don’t. Good luck, though.

See, that takes all the spontaneity and serendipity out of it for me. For me role-play is about act of group creation, an exercise in shared imagination, and half the fun is just being there. I feel like such a mechanical system just turns it into a just a game, like it was postal diplomacy or something like that. Some people can still dig it, but I don’t. Good luck, though.

We could do it on the IRC Chat. I really don't care. I just can't use any other form of IM because my parent's don't like them at all.

Okay, I've got an idea.

I plan on making a Dragon Shaman (PHB2), with a Silver Dragon Bloodline (Unearthed Arcana). Silver Dragon is thus his obvious totem dragon, and I was planning the bloodline strength to be major. I'm also planning on using the Weapon Group Feats (Unearthed Arcana) alternate rules.

Stats, Feats, Skills, etc. are still in the works.

Edit:

Rough first pass character sheet. I may want to sit down and rethink something slightly, as the Bloodline and Shaman abilities may not mesh as well as I'd initially expected (redundancies, etc.)

...Maybe I'll have him be of a different bloodline, but he wishes he were a Silver one, and devotes himself accordingly. Or vice versa. Not entirely sure. Still ironing out general background and personality issues.

Edited by Balcerzak

Bal's guy makes me bitterly curse my luck with the dice.

Oh well...it'll all be worth it...

...at level ten.

Which is a while away.

Oh yeah, last night I vaguely remembered something about 'negative strength values still apply to bow damage', so I swapped it with my Con. The sheet's been amended.

Edited by Grimsworth of Natal

Furet, if by the end of things, your guy is still severely underpowered comparatively in base stat bonuses (I think mine and Soren's are comparable, but yours is... a little weaker), I wouldn't mind either adjusting you up, or us down. I find it usually makes a more pleasant experience if the party is comparably potent, though obviously differently specialized. It all sort of depends where Battler and the others line up on the spectrum, fmpov.

Well, I've got good rolls in the two things that matter. I mean, I won't be using mighty bows to full advantage anytime soon, but...well, at some point there'll probably be spare strength items lyin' around. *shrug*

Oh yeah, minor typo on your sheet...you're listed as having Scale Male.

@Asmodeus: I only have the WotC books. If you can point me to where I can find these 3rd party supplements, then I'll allow them.

@Balcerzak: Sounds good. DM allows of it.

I got most of mine as PDFs from a friend. If you want, I could PM them to you.

EDIT: There's also the Neverwinter Nights PrC (Yes, there's actually a standard 3.5 player's manual for Neverwinter Nights. No, that shouldn't surprise anyone in the least, since the PC games did take place in Forgotten Realms) which can be found here

Edited by Asmodeus

I know that this would kinda be a forum game, so forum games section works, but this topic can easily get buried under all the hnhs and post x about the person below/above and all that. You sure you don't want this moved to the roleplay section since D&D is roleplaying and the topic won't get buried there? (only the last 5 threads have even been updated since December began, so no threat of burial there)