Games You'd Recommend?

Soren37

I have a sizable amount of money after Christmas. However, I'm wondering what games I should buy with said money. When it comes down to genres, I tend to prefer strategy, RPG, or JRPG games. I already have FE9-FEDS, Etrian Odyssey III, Plants vs. Zombies, and Final Fantasy III (for DS). I also have Pokemon Diamond. So help me, what games would you recommend?

No Steam because my parents don't approve for some odd reason.

And no FPS. I cannot play those to save my life.

Stop being a mama's boy and go buy a prepaid credit card.

That or suffer with the pathetic world of console gaming.

Edited by Lucent

You could try out the DS remake of Dragon Quest VI if you haven't already--one of the greatest JRPG's ever, IMHO. Also, seconding the recommendation for Fallout: New Vegas (it's not really an FPS at all). You should really look for one the radio extender mods, they give the game a lot more life. If you haven't already you should also play KotOR 1 and give II chance, it was prepared to be one of the greatest CRPG's ever, and you can kind of see it if you use one of the content restoration projects, which are really good.

Also: Planesacpe: Torment. Play it. Now. No one can properly call themselves a Role Playing gamer until they've beaten this. Some other good classics, inculde Arcanum, the first two Fallouts (III is utterly missable), and Baldurs Gate I and II, all of which you can get dirt cheap (and on sale) on GoG.

If you like 4x's, you should also really cheack out Masters of Orion I and II, which they have on GoG as well.

Edited by Le Communard

This depends on whether or not you can find them (these are all DS games):

1. Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume - The story ranges from decent to WTF, but you aren't playing for story. . .

2. Anything in the Izuna series - It's a roguelike starring a pink-haired ninja who is good at getting into trouble. Difficulty-wise, it's just right (meaning harder than Pokemon Mystery Dungeon but easier than Mines of Moria).

3. The other Etrian Odyssey games - . . .or Ein will never forgive you.

4. Disgaea DS - . . .and kiss all your free time goodbye.

I also liked Suikoden Tierkreis, Hero's Saga Laevatein Tactics, and the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series (the only one you should get is Explorers of the Sky). These fall under my quirky personal tastes, and may not fit yours. . .

Chrono Cross would be my first suggestion, but you don't have a PS whatever. And Golden Sun Dark Dawn, but you probably haven't played the prequels to it on the GBA.

Anyways, seriously thinking:

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - beast game. It's not really RPG, more like turn based, kind of like FE?

Final Fantasy Tactics A2: It's like FE, you don't need to play the prequel to understand it.

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - All Zelda games are fun. 8D

Blah, all my favorite RPGs are on the GBA or some other console you don't have.

Bah. No steam? Hmm...

Well there's Icewind Dale 1 and 2 for RPG gaming.

As for actual CDs maybe you can find the Total War Era Collection, or at least you can find Medieval 2 Total War or something. Empire and Napoleon require Steam, unfortunately. Massive somewhat historically-accurate battles.

If you're looking for science fiction you can try the Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War series. Dawn of War 2 requires Steam, unfortunately.

If you're looking for some smaller-scale historical combat there's Age of Empires 3. Make sure to get the Asian Dynasties expansion pack (and Warchiefs), the Asian units are rather different from the European units.

There's also the Command & Conquer series, which are much faster-paced compared to the above games (in my opinion).

Let me repeat Communard's suggestions of KotOR 1 and 2. As for as video game RPGs go, they are some of the best you will ever find. The second is rushed, and unfinished, but STILL manages to be one of the best games I've ever played despite that. I could rant for pages about how great they are (and have in the past), but I'll try to keep this concise. Just check them out if you can.

Otherwise, Starcraft 2 is excellent, although you will have to do significant learning if you want to not get absolutely raped when you try to play online. You could get Civilization IV and all its expansions, or Civilization V, if you like turn based strategy. They're good, solid fun. Each has its own charms, I like them both, but in different ways. If you're the patient and slowish type, Sins of a Solar Empire is a nice, epic scale RTS, though I find it sometimes feels too much like a turn based strategy, and not in a good way.

Oh, and the obligatory Armored Core plug except you have no console that can run any of them 8[.

If you have Gamecube equipment you can play Skies of Arcadia Legends for your Wii. It's my favorite game, and like the only traditional JRPG I really enjoy. For DS, there're the Phoenix Wright games, which are mostly logic games where you have to determine if/when people are lying. There's Portal for PC. I think you can get a retail copy, but I'm not sure. I got it on Steam for free. It's in first-person, but it's a puzzle game. Also it's hilarious. Also if you haven't tried the Paper Mario games yet, go download the N64 one for Wii. Then maybe get the Gamecube one. They're JRPGs but they're pretty unconventional. They also have a good sense of humor which only gets better with each installment. The Wii is, in my opinion, the funniest, and is a pretty good game, but it's not really anything like the other two. Alternately, you can try Mario & Luigi for DS. I hear the third one is really good. They're like Paper Mario but with different gameplay. If you like brainteasers, go find the Professor Layton games for DS. They're just brainteasers with European cartoon-style animations and crazy stories.

Chrono Cross would be my first suggestion, but you don't have a PS whatever.

Chrono isn't that good, the story is stupid, there is no character development, and it's got Poshul. the battle system is nice though.

If your looking for any sort of complex strategy game, anything by Paradox is great.

Mount & Blade is also a great game that will eat up your time if you like medieval/horseback combat.

Dragon Quest and Shin Megami Tensei (The persona sub-series-thing especially) are both great JRPG's (and probably the only ones I really like)

Edited by Iced

Dragon Quest IX is a really good choice. It's got a lot of customization and replayability. I'm actually playing it right now level grinding on "Metal King Slime only" floors.

Also, what game genres do you like/dislike? Do you have anyone to play local multiplayer with? I was thinking of recommending other games like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Kirby's Epic Yarn or Epic Mickey, but I'm not sure if platforming games appeal to you or not.

You guys mean Mount & Blade WARBAND, right? Because I don't see any reason to get the first over the "expansion."

I also second Disgaea DS. I have the PSP version, and it's great. Seeing as it's a port of a PS2 game, I'd imagine that the DS version can't be all that different.

The World Ends With You, for DS. One of the absolute best JRPGs, with storyline full of more twists and turns than a roller coaster, music to die for, and an innovative dual screen battle system.

EOI and EOII. Or else I will kill you.

FFIV is good on DS. They gave difficulty a high dose of caffeine, so its harder.

AND... About it, there.