Return of The Emblem Chapter Two: The Trail

Phoenix

"Is someone acting suspiciously?" Veronika asked Raquel, raising her eyebrow. "I haven't noticed any particularly strange behavior from anyone in our group...well I suppose Gytha is on the odd side, but I don't think she's a danger to us really." She decided to leave the issue of the shaman to Raquel for now, though she made a mental note to watch Shadrak carefully in any case. The man seemed to be after the emblem for his own ends, which could jeopardize her search for Pavel.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Well no, none of ours. We should just be careful. They've already tried getting rid of us directly twice now. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to squeeze a mole or something into the group at some point. I guess we'll just have to be careful." she said before trying to stand up with Chip on her shoulder. The monkey kept his balance as she reached her footing.

"On that note, I need to talk to all of you right now, the whole group. Is anyone else still hurt?" she asked the people around her.

"Well Nanahm isn't looking so good, someone who can lift him should probably bring him to a healer," Veronika replied to Raquel, looking over at the fighter facedown in the dirt. She scanned the scene to look around at everyone else. "Axel could use his arm healed again I suppose," she said unethusiastically with a look over at the soldier. We still need as many fighters as we can get, jackasses or not.

John went on to bring back Nanahm as instructed. Fortuently, the battle didn't spread out much so it didn't took long in finding him.

'What a mess... at least he's still alive though.' He thought.

"Oh please don't tell me he's dead ... Okay, Chelsea I need you to see what you can do for him too, please. And Axel as well. Synthia's still healing people too, right?" she replied.

Chelsea nodded, but not before telling Raquel something. "The Fire emblem? Never heard of that before. Still they're some kinda assholes for attacking a woman out of the blue. No worries you've got me on your side....albeit it isn't much but I'm worth something. Oh and Raquel, if anyone wants to do bodily harm to you, just try wacking them a couple of times with a staff. It works for me."- Chelsea laughed. "When I get back, you can start explaining your side of the story, but for now I'm off to heal Nanahm. Ciao!"- she winked and skipped off over to Nanahm, leaving her horse, Nesha behind. Nesha just gave her a dissaproving glare at his master's back, sighed then proceded to lay on the grass near Raquel.

As Chelsea, approached Nanahm she gave a quick inspection of his wounds. She gave a small sigh, relief knowing he'd only need to rest a couple of hours before he could fight again. She began to heal his wound, with her heal staff.

Edited by GoD

"...Just get on with the discussion. The arm can be fixed later," Axel said, waving off assistance for the moment. Yes, his arm did hurt. No, he wasn't going to die from it. No sense delaying the inevitable tactics discussion.

Having healed Domovoi, Synthia returned to find most everyone gathered at the wagon. The new healer with the horse, Synthia hadn't caught her name, was already taking care of Nanahm, so she walked over where the others were gathered. "So, what's going on?" she asked as she quickly healed Axel's arm, and looked rather pleased at the result. This mend staff was leaps and bounds ahead of her old heal staff, no wonder Edwin had suggested getting one.

OOC: I apologize for not posting until now. Between College, RL issues, and LoAF I haven't had much drive to post.

IC: Daloth rolled his eyes at Seliah's words. He could hear the frustration in her voice and the dislike of small talk. Evidenced by the fact that she knew enough about his recent life to know the answer to that question. "I know you're bored, miss. So... Tell me, as I have understood it, magic is the manipulation of the reality about us into any form we attempt to desire as opposed to the wills of those people whom wish for there to be a degree of order. We only sort it into the prime elements because altering reality on a whim takes immense concentration and being able to order it into simpler categories such as 'fire' and 'thunder' reduces the amount of load upon our mind. This is further exemplified in the staff area of magic which can regrow limbs and warp people across great distances as well as that most powerful wizards slowly lose their grip upon reality and go insane. Have you heard any alternate theories of magic?"

Well it seemed like enough of the group was gathered and paying attention. Raquel figured she may as well start now, while she still had the chance and no one was shooting at her. "Okay, everybody, as you know, our fights are going ... well they're not going at all really. We hurt them more than they hurt us and then we patch up the wounded and hope it doesn't happen again for a good while. That's fine and dandy but they're going to smear the ground with us eventually. While we've been traveling I've been doing some research ..." Just reading I should have finished months and months ago ... "I know enough to feel confident approaching things differently from now on so here's the deal ..."

She held up her finger and quickly started counting up the group. Once she was done she shrugged a bit. "Crap, I forgot how few people we have-OKAY, we're going to begin forming a structured battali- ... err platoon. To do this we'll need to make at least one combat team set up."

Combat teams? Is that like a squad? Amon thought to himself.

"Basically how this works is we concentrate our abilities mostly into well defended cells instead of spreading ourselves so thin amongst the enemy like we've been doing. I'd say the best type of combat team would be composed of at least one offensive unit, a defensive unit, and a healing unit. It's the most balanced but other types work too. Teams of two can also work but we need more versatile units for that kind of thing. The goal here is to better protect ourselves, concentrate our attacks, boost triage efficiency, and make it easier to win our battles."

So they are like squads ... just fewer than five. That's kind of small but I suppose there aren't enough of us to make more than two decent sized squads. the young Rexian continued thinking.

"Now before we get into things like 'Who am I teaming up with?', are there any questions? Questions that aren't that ..." Raquel asked looking around at everyone.

"Aye! I have a question," Gytha responded, raising her hand into the air for a moment then going on to her question, "What sort would I be considered? I can fight well enough, but I can protect people too. I know I'm not a healer, though." I was brought to my knees twice in the last fight, but maybe that was because I didn't have any help. I wonder who I'll be teamed up with.

Maw had gone up and was sunning herself on the cart's roof. Whatever the humans and rat-human were talking about wasn't a concern to her.

The battle appeared to be over and Domovoi was somewhat relieved, but this relief was somewhat hampered by the arrow stuck deep in his hip and the other arrows in him.

Lying down wasn't an option, and getting off would hurt like heck. Walking was impossible, so he'd have to stay on Miskavolv for now.

Fortunately Synthia healed him and he felt somewhat better. Nodding respectfully, he directed his attention at the shaman who defected from the enemy. Apparently he was recruited in an alley and didn't bother investigating them before deciding to join. Domovoi sighed at the man's seeming idiocy. He was being considered to join if he helped and Domovoi wasn't sure if he should. On the one hand, if the shaman was kicked out, he might be tricked into doing something against the group again. On the other hand, keeping an idiot with them wasn't going to be very helpful.

Raquel had decided to announce that they were going to start forming combat teams. Domovoi immediately relished this moment, as he was quite experienced with such things. Raquel had the right idea, but they also needed to gauge everyone's strengths and weaknesses and even personalities to form the strongest batallions. Squads were mainly effective if everyone worked best together.

"I suggest, milady, that you should figure out who works best with who and each person's strengths and weaknesses before we immediately start pairing ourselves up."

"Hmm." Raquel began addressing Gytha's question. "Well I guess you might make a decent offensive unit, but I'm not quite sure." Just then Domovoi spoke up making a suggestion that she considered timely. Somewhat rescued from the question, she nodded and expanded on his point but stated her original intentions first. "I was going to let you guys see how you liked to use your strengths in battle and if some of you couldn't get the hang of it, or preferred to just be assigned by someone other than yourselves, I would make the recommendations. But like Domovoi said, it's better if we see what everyone's best at. Some things like healers are obvious but we really do need to make a distinction between our offensive and defensive units." she explained.

Then it occurred to her that they had what the book referred to as a thief in the party. Looking at Amon, she grimaced a bit. "Um ... okay I've honestly got no idea what you are or how to find out.

Amon himself raised his shoulders just slightly, a bit self conscious and nervously replied "Ahem, well I find it pretty easy to procure things from enemies in combat. I was planning on taking vulneraries from them whenever I needed, to help save funds and such. I try not to get hit too often as well." he explained.

"Hmm, that'll be useful. Well regardless of what you get categorized as, keep stealing things from them when you can. If you can't hold anything else just give them to me. I'll pay you."

"It's not st- ... I suppose it is." Amon said hanging his head. He really didn't like that term. For the longest time he had been trying to justify what he was doing by tagging a different term on it. He also only did so when someone was seeking his life. He had grown to see theft when done only in self defense as another method of battle or warfare. Having it called 'stealing' shook this belief a little and had him on the verge of a big plain grimace anyone could see. He prevented this though and kept a blank face.

Blood loss, what fun. And a facefull of dirt. This had to be his worst day ever on the job. Oh well, chances are they couldn't get worse, though having thought that, undoubtedly will get worse... At least his nearly fatal wound was closed up now, but damn if he could pay attention to anything that pink haired chick was saying right now, or anyone for that matter. So tired... and yet, he couldn't sleep. This was gonna be a long day for him.

Shadrak nodded. "If it allows me to investigate and gain infornation about your trinket then I will be more than happy to help your group. I will inform you that I am a damage caster by trade, and that my staff is more for emergencies. I would suggest putting me with some of your more defensive attack units, such as Gytha and one of the Wyvern Riders as a form of attack squad, and should we need to resort to our abilities, I can keep the two of them up, as there's generally feature getting hurt, and mine will allow me to not bother your cleric next." He told Raquel, before stepping back and to the side as he was sure she'd be flooded with questions, tetering a little as he stopped. He was still bleeding out the arm, and was kinda suprised only one person noticed... it wasn't to be bad though, so he wasn't going to make a fuss out of it yet.

Edited by Zsword

"I don't really know where I'd fit in best, but I think havn' a healer nearby'd be good," Gytha comented, "I can work as an attacker or a defender, maybe. I'll let ye work that out, Raquel."

Combat teams, huh? Synthia had no idea how this was going to work, but she wasn't complaining just yet. Being part of a team would offer her more protection on the battlefield. She only had one issue, and for that she halfheartedly raised her hand. "I'm fine with this, as long as I get to approve my teammates."

"Well I'm not really going to force people to work together who would rather not; not unless we hit a point where it's actually that bad and no one's cooperating. Keep in mind, we don't have a lot of units so we may need to adapt our strategies to different types of situations. Uh what I mean to say is, you might not always be grouped up with the same people in the end. Right now, we're just trying to see what basic set ups should work, and what we should default to in a situation like today's." she explained to them.

I guess I'm versatile. Amon thought to himself. I think I might work best alongside either a healer and a defender, or just paired off with another versatile person.

"Well for starters we're going to try to spread you healers out amongst the teams. Gytha you seem to be good at frontal assault so you'll be an attacking unit normally. We just need a healer that can work well with you and possibly a good defender. Wyvern rider!" she called out trying to get John and Domovoi's attention. "You two are pretty important strategically, so don't go charging in unless you've got a good reason. Maybe one of you should be on Gytha's team?"

"Hey, I have an idea," Gytha started, before looking to Amon and then pointing to him, "Amon, join me team! We're already friends and we're both pretty versitile." Her eyes shifted to Synthia next, "Oy, healer! Ye want t' come over and make this a team o' three? All three o' ye healers have helped me and it's much appreciated. Though I have to make sure Amon doesn't get hurt and I'll be gettn' proper medical treatment. Synthia, ye know about how to treat all kinds of wounds, so yer me first pick!" She pointed to Synthia, "I'll do me best t' make sure ye don't get a scratch! And if I get knocked out of the fight, Amon'll look after ye!" She jerked her thumb to Amon.

That wasn't the worst team arrangement she could be on, and she was on ok terms with Gytha and Amon, this would work for now. "Um... sure?" she hesitantly replied. "You two need to be less reckless though, I can't keep up with the both of you if you keep charging in like you've been."

Amon came out of his thoughts again as Gytha indicated him, and following her explanation, he shrugged ever so slightly. "Well, I didn't have any definite ideas of my own so this should be fine." he said in response. "And I'll try to be more careful from now on. Should be simpler since we seem to be coming into some kind of ... universal approach to fighting." he told Synthia.

I sure hope they aren't getting the wrong impression here. We need to be able to adapt to ever changing circumstances. Right now we're just picking a few defaults. Raquel thought to herself. "If you're all agreed then let's move on to the remaining units." she announced.

"Then the first team is set! HAHARR!!" Gytha proclaimed, drawing her sword in excitement and waving it around in the air like a metronome. She never made the same promise as Amon. I'm already not reckless. she thought to herself.

Exuberant as always I see Veronika thought to herself, casting a sideways glance at Gytha.

"I am used to fighting on my own, so you can place me with anyone really. I'm not very heavily armored, nor am I healer, so my strength in battle would be offensive I suppose," she said to Raquel. I'm used to taking care of enemies myself really, but if this recent battle is any indication we are likely to get in more danger as this journey progresses. I will just have to learn to work with others I suppose.

"Alright, Veronika, I'll keep that in mind. Now let's see, we should probably get another one of the healers accounted for." she began. Wait, I've got it. "You. What was your name by the way? You'll be this next team's healer I think." she told Shadrak. She said she'd keep an eye on him. I may as well make it easier on her. "And one more unit ought to balance it out ..."

Meanwhile Amon carefully made his way closer to Gytha being mindful of the iron death bringer she was swinging through the air. Once close enough that his voice would easily get her attention he spoke ... though he had to hope he wasn't a little too close. He merely wanted to be standing at a spot where he was only in range of her arm, and not the blade, should it come down at him. I'm not sure why that ritual of hers makes me so nervous. She wouldn't do it if she ever made the mistake of hurting someone ... still ... there's a first time for most things. "Umm, so Synthia will concentrate on healing while you and I go after specific targets. Are you sure you'll be alright with playing defensive sometimes?" he asked.

"Aye," Gytha replied more calmly as she sheathed her sword, "Don't worry, Amon. Yer both safe under my watch." She meant those words. She would defend them if she knew they were in trouble but if they weren't, she'd reduce the threat dowards them by taking out enemies.