Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

Rodykitty

I'm not currently playing through but I thought it'd be cool to make a topic about it.

It's an action RPG similar to Tales games, but it uses some unique mechanics to add depth to the combat both defensively and offensively, as well as the ability to combo much like a great fighting game. You choose your character attacks which greatly changes how they play in battle, and every character has a different playstyle.

My favorite character is probably Nel because ninja chicks RULE.

Gameplay vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJag1xkfo2Q - (Ability exhibition)

- (Solo vid, the game is normally played with 3 character parties)

Hard to find appropriate videos, because most of them are solos or spoiler boss battles. The fact that videos just about fighting late game bosses and doing challenge feats is testament to how good the gameplay is.

albel will stomp all yall

This is probably my favorite non-handheld RPG ever. I've played the shit out of it, and actually beaten the SUPER SECRET BOSS after Sphere 211, and I have to say that while it's a stupidly long game, it's still ridiculously fun. It also happens to have a decent plot, which I also like, and the real-time system is done ridiculously well.

I've played it. Found it very hard at times due to MP acting as a second HP bar, but oh well, I managed.

Haven't actually touched most of the optional stuff, probably will one of these days...

Haven't played that Star Ocean entry, but I do own and have played Star Ocean 2 on PS1 (and finished it on both Claude's and Rena's stories once each), and own and have played a bit of Star Ocean Blue Sphere on GBC.

Not really tempted by Star Ocean 3 for the time being:

the infamous plot twist

, and the, for what I've read about it, inferior Item Creation system compared to Star Ocean 2, along with me currently busy with other games, are a deterrent for me.

Edited by AceNoctali

I never take anyone that is so offended by the plot twist seriously. The game is too good to let it bother.

It's not like I'm hostile at playing Star Ocean 3. Despite finding its plot twist ridiculous and partly ruining my good memories of Star Ocean 2, I'm not against giving it a try.

But I have a ton of interesting games that I own in my "to-play" line list (Leaping School Festival, Memories Ringing On, Irodori no Love Song, Snatcher, Policenauts, Tear Ring Saga, Berwick Saga, Apollo Justice, Phantasy Star Complete Collection, Yoake Mae Yori Ruriiro Na, Mother 3, Legend of Legaia, Kisetsu o Dakishimete, all of the Professor Layton games, and more), and after having seen various reviews and vids of Star Ocean 3, which didn't gave the urge to bypass that list and play it (unlike when I discovered Star Ocean 2: that one I wanted to play it badly back then), I don't see the point of going and buy that game right now. Maybe in two or three years.

Edited by AceNoctali

Other people who have experienced this game firsthand should post in this thread so that I will have a better understanding of the concept.

Depends on what you want to know. Do you want the battle system, or something else? It's on the PlayStation 2 BTW. Greatest Hits collection so you should be able to find it for $15 easily.

A game can survive on awesome gameplay alone and to think otherwise has always been petty or elitist to me. It can survive on an awesome story alone.

The fact is though, SO3's story isn't even that bad even with the plot twist. All of the characters are tolerable and the plot doesn't try to be anything it isn't (which is pretty much a game where you fight stronger opponents as you go on). A lot of times drama and philosophy have tended to hurt JRPG stories instead of helped especially recently, so it is good to have a game that is more about the action especially with the action system it has.

Your opinion is also the same as the many whiners out there that, like I have said, I can't take seriously. Get out of this thread.

If you can't enjoy the action part of an Action RPG where the game designers actually took a lot of care into designing its battle system instead of being a button masher, then you really shouldn't have even gotten as far as the plot twist anyway.

Edited by Super FE3 Player

I don't care if you can't take it seriously. I wasn't asking for your validation. I bought Till the End of Time expecting an engaging storyline. The action-gameplay was a device by which to deliver that experience. The fact that the content that I was looking forward to was inadequate was why I ended up hating the game.

Oh no, someone doesn't follow the same guidelines as you in one game you play. The world is ending.

Just because you had expectations not met doesn't mean the game deserves a bad rep. I found the strength's of the game's gameplay to more than make up for how poorly received the plot twist is, whether or not people actually realize it or not.

As for guidelines of gameplay, even if you played it for the story at least recognize what the game is about and understand why people such as myself love it.

Just because the chief expectations I had for the game were not met doesn't mean the game deserves to be called bad by me? What?

I recognize that you like it. That doesn't change that I don't like it. Like, seriously, how hard is it for you to accept that I thought a game you like was shitty? Are you always a confrontational douche when people don't like what you do?

Edited by Esau of Isaac

You're not defending anything in any coherent fashion. You're just saying that my opinion is wrong because you disagree with my opinion.

Some people just don't have the same opinions as you. Being an aggressive manchild over that fact makes you look like an idiot. Grow up.

The reason I disagree with your opinion is because it is one based on a single event in the game, that apparently invalidates everything else about the game for most people even though it is just a single cutscene. Never mind that it actually opens up new possibilities in the game and gives you a gorgeous town to move around in.

The events leading up to the final boss were fine. There was actually some normalcy to them despite the idea the plot twist presents. It allowed a reset into fighting a different kind of villain. I rather liked that I was presented with a new environment and new kinds of enemies to fight this way.

The plot twist did not ruin the game like people think they did. When I see people talk about how this 5% percent of the game ruined the other 95%, why should I be anything BUT an aggressive manchild?

Sheesh, cool it you two. . .or better yet, write two separate reviews for the game.

When it comes to FF, I'm on one end, and Esau's on the other. It doesn't mean I think he's clueless; it means that we took away different things from different games, and that we don't view stories the same way.

Story and gameplay are two things that get my attention. If the story's meh, but the gameplay's good, I'll stick with it (see: most of the Yu-Gi-Oh! video games). If the story's good, but the gameplay's meh. . .I'll finish it somehow (see: Suikoden V, where 90% of the game was straight attacking). I won't hold one as more important as the other.