Greetings and Salutations

dhalsimrocks

Good day all!

A little background here, followed by a question.

I got my start on tactical RPGs with Shining Force on the Genesis. I love the whole series and have played through a few of them many times. I've also played Final Fantasy Tactics and FFT Advance, Tactics Ogre:Let Us Cling Together (still working on that one), and the original Ogre Battle is one of my favorite games of all time.

However, like many Americans, I've never played a Fire Emblem game. I've seen the GBA titles in stores many times, but never looked into it. But recently I was reading about the Tactical RPG history on Wikipedia and read a lot about Fire Emblem. I was amazed to see what looked like a superb game series that is right up my alley. I'm excited about the series and I really can't wait to get started!

And that leads me to my question: Where should I start?

I have two lines of thought when it comes to entering a game series anew:

A) start from the very beginning, experience the games as you would have had you followed it from the start and watch the series change and evolve (I'm doing this with Phantasy Star). This is also often a good idea when playing a series that has a chronological plot (I know that FE for the most part does not).

B) start with a flagship game, one that is a favorite of the community and the best representative of what makes the game great, then go back and play earlier and/or later games.

I'm open to either route. Keep in mind that graphics are not an issue with me (probably obvious by now), and the only games unavailable to me (for the moment) are for the GameCube and Wii. I also realize that even in the FE community, the favorites seem to differ, so I know there is no One True FE Game I should play first.

So, any suggestions and/or thoughts?

welcomewithstyle.jpg

Hi, I'm Reinfleche, this place's version of the person commenting from the peanut gallery. A good place to start would be FE7 (named just Fire Emblem as a game), as it has a neat introduction into the series, has great gameplay and a good story too. If you can't find that (personally it took me a few years), I'd suggest FE9. My personal favorites are FE4 and FE2, but they're not very similar to the rest of the series so they might ot be for someone who hasn't played FE at all. Anyways, welcome to the forums! Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Edited by Reinfleche

Hey all, thanks for the greetings and the suggestions.

I have started my Fire Emblem journey with Blazing Sword, as so many suggested. I'm several chapters into Lyn's story and I'm already having a blast. What an addictive game (even with the hand-holding)!

I was going to go on about everything that I like about it thus far, but I would just be preaching to the choir here. :-) Though I will say the the fact that characters are gone permanently when they die in battle is one of my favorite aspects of the game. It adds a much needed dimension, a greater sense of urgency and even more emotional attachment than in a game where you can revive anyone easily and almost at will. It's forcing me to not only think of an effective strategy to win the battle, but also one that will result in as few casualties as possible (hopefully zero!). I'm also digging the Ogre Battle type elements of visiting towns and houses in battle areas as part of your strategy. Really fun stuff.

You won't have to worry about me being a nuisance on this forum, by the way. I already read all the forum rules before I made my first post. You'd also be hard pressed to find someone more civil and tolerant than me.

So what does "FE5 Vanilla" refer to? I know what FE5 is, but what is Vanilla as opposed to, non-Vanilla?

Again, thanks for the suggestions, and I look forward to being part of the community!

Edited by dhalsimrocks