(Pokemon) Pokemon Black/White Draft

Don Draper

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So let's kick off this draft run, huh?

1st Gym:

Snivy: Although one with an unfavorable nature (Rash) it's female, so it means I can produce unlimited amounts of new Snivys for everyone and all I need for it is an unsuspecting Patrat. It passed all its battles with no big problems so far.

Panpour: An invaluable asset against Cheren and Chili. It makes quick work out of their Tepig and Pansear respectively within 3 turns tops.

I started as well, picked Pignite in order to get Pansage, which I just did. Those two will carry me all the way to the Desert, where I'll get my two best mons.

edit: Owned the first gym's Water Monkey with Pansage, but Pansage is worse than Tepig vs everything but those, so I'm rocking mostly him for the time being. He just learned Flame Dance so his speed isn't really an issue anymore.

Second gym leader was proving impossible to beat in the state my Pokémon were, but Tepig was only one level from evolving into Pignite, gaining a STAB Arm Thrust and a much needed durability increase. So I took it to fight on the trainers west of the town and a wild tadpole, evolved it, then went back to crush the leader. I wanted to avoid Herdier's Intimidate so I sent Pansage up first as a sacrifice to Leech Seed it. No matter how often I reset, I couldn't hit with Leech Seed in the one chance I have before getting KO'd by Take Down, so I "cheated" and sacrificed my caught Patrat, then successfully Leech Seeded it. Then Pignite comes in, used Flame Dance once for the +Spd. To my surprise I was already faster than Herdier, heh. Then KO'd it with Arm Thrust, and got a miracle 5-hit Arm Thrust on evolved drugs beaver (Watchog) which killed it before I could do anything.

brb saving skull

Edited by Mekkah

It just happens that I was just done with the 2nd gym.

Servine: Is there a physical grass-type move that it can learn and fast? His SpAtk is so low I kinda regrett switching Vine Whip for Leaf Tornado.

Panpour: Since most of my team is physical Pansear has been relegated to the role of special attacker and does that job quite decently.

Roggenrola: I forgot to pick up Rock Smash before the gym but its defense and resistance against normal-type moves made it for a great wall.

Blitzle:

>Trainer sends out Pidove

>"Alright Blitzle, fry that Pidove with your--"

>doesn't learn any damaging electric-type moves until Lv11

>ಠ_ಠ

I suppose I'll grind my team except for the starter to Lv15 now.

Edited by Ike-Mike

Arrived in Hiun City and did a lot of business, most importantly evolving Pansage and getting Amulet Coin from the dancers. Beat the third gym with ease thanks to Pignite.

Caught Darumakka and, after a bit of searching, Sigilyph. Had a fun ride in the Battle Subway with Sigilyph, Pignite and Simisagee. Daramakka is pretty much on par with my team, Sigilyph will have to play catch up later since this Electric gym will own him. But I'm sure he'll do well.

Always hated the fourth gym. I did some training with Sigilyph but went through the gym mostly with Simisagee. I wanted to train Darumakka more but between Hustle, Static and Double Team, it just...doesn't do very well versus Emolga. This gym leader has Whitney beat when it comes to being an annoying cunt in my opinion. I managed to waste her Hyper Potions with Daramakka until it got killed with Volt Change, then killed both Emolga with Simisagee. Sadly they knew Aerial Ace or it would've been a cakewalk. Avoided having to walk the Static plank by using Work Up and Seed Bomb. Then her Zebra just outsped and KO'd me with Flame Charge, so I had to use Pignite even though I am working towards ditching it. Spark did like 45% so when I was very low on health the AI chose Quick Attack which allowed me to heal up, and then finish it off.

Trained my mons some more on the way to the fifth gym. Sigilyph is really really good, at one point it faced an unevolved Zebra. I used Light Screen and braced myself...and I didn't even notice the damage it did with Shock Wave. Then I used Psybeam and OHKO'd it. Heh. It made short work of all those Timburrrrrr in the ice container. For the fifth gym I tried to use Daramakka when I could but I mostly OHKO'd things with Simisagee. The gym leader took a few tries since Excadrill was really really strong and OHKO'd both of my Fire mons (Rock Slide for Dara, Bulldoze for Pignite). So what I did was use Sigilyph to throw up a Reflect and 2HKO the first stage crocodile he leads with, then use Darumakka..but it'd barely miss out on KOing with Fire Punch and trigger the AI to use Hyper Potion, running out my Reflect. But I had an Expert Belt so I just used that, and then the first stage toad went down to Simisagee.

Really liking my team so far.

edit: During Electric cave, Darumakka learned Flare Blitz, evolved, then learned Hammer Arm. Now it's invincible. Simisagee is lagging a few levels behind because I didn't use it at all during the Flying gym for what I hope to be obvious reasons. The leader had nothing on Reflect Sigilyph, which grew to level 41 and learned Air Slash after killing Swanna. It held the Lucky Egg during the whole gym session.

Edited by Mekkah

First Gym:

Oshawott : 13

Pansear : 11

Not much to say. Beat a few trainers and a couple of wild pokemon. That was it. Both seem to be pulling their weight.

Third Gym:

Sawk : 24

Cottonee : 19

Dewott : 19

Pansear : 18

Sawk carries the team. Tanks everything, kills anything (even x4 resists), cleans up after everyone. He basically soloed the second gym starting at level 12 and ended up level 17. He was also needed to KO the bug gym's strongest pokemon.

Cottonee doesn't die. I got the wrong ability but didn't bother to change it, but it really doesn't matter. Leech seed + Mega drain outlasts nearly anything.

Dewott has decent offence, but is pretty slow. Used whenever something needs to die quickly.

I can see why Pansear was the last pick. 3HKOs even when he has x4 super effective. I'm giving him the exp share for the time being, as he's not going to reach level 22 without it.

3rd gym was pretty standard, Dewott KOed the rolled up thing but succumbed to poison on the same turn. Pansear tried to take out Leavanny, but only got 2 attacks in before he was KOed. Sawk tried to clean up but the gym leader used a hyper potion. Leavanny wasted like 6 turns with protect and string shot though, so Sawk was able to KO it by himself. Then switched to Cottonee for Dwebble which didn't cause any problems.

Edited by billymills

I got Surf, so it was time to catch Alomomola. I didn't have any Water mons so I caught a tadpole, taught it Surf, then Surfed around for a bit in places where it was supposed to be, only to get swarmed by Frillish. Turns out you have to look in those special spots, but once I got one to appear I caught a L19 Alomomola, which is nice. It's Hasty though. =/

It's a pathetic Pokémon but its HP is ridiculously high - I think it had around 95 when I got it, with my other mons having somewhere between 110 and 140. Every time it levels up, it gets +4 or +5 HP. I didn't get EXP Share when I was in the big city, so I flew back there, taught Alomomola Surf, then beat the floor needed to get EXP Share. Mostly because I wanted an excuse to train it, but after this I decided I should try out Audino grinding. I went to do that in a few different spots, all the way to level 30, where it learned Wake Up Slap. Changed the 5HKO on these things to 2HKO. Turns out this thing has 75 Atk and 40 SpAtk...pathetic. It also gets a boost from rain on all these routes but it stopped raining for some reason.

Since the rest of my team is pretty much L40, I figure it's time to move on to the next town.

Gym 1:

Furet The Patrat, Lv. 11: He's not too useful right now, his attacking is mediocre and he fainst very quickly. Bide isn't useful since he dies by the time he unleashes it so I'm stuck to Tackle and Bite. I hope he'll improve by time since I do need him >_>

Enjo the Oshawott, Lv. 13: A pretty solid pokemon so far, little complaints, does his job well. Will prolly remain one of my better pokemon for the remainder of the game, dunno yet..

Pansear Lv. 11: Tried not to use him but because of my fail Patrat I had to, he did an almost decent job against Pansage >_> Dropping him nao.

IOS because you keep on hinting not-so-subtly that you are more clever than anyone else with your nicknames since no one gets the reference, Google gives me Donkey Kong......

Ice gym was a cakewalk. Or cakeslide, whatever. I thought I couldn't get my last two guys (Druddigon and Golett) before this gym so I just went to sweep it with Alomomola (Wake-Up Slap is a 2HKO on everything, sometimes I can even finish off with Aqua Jet). I just abused Lucky Egg and Amulet Coin as much as I could, and Darmanitan did most of the work on the leader. Then in the tower I caught like a million Golett, all of them having Klutz, so I just went with the Brave one. At least Klutz doesn't block Amulet Coin and Lucky Egg. Why did he have to forget Shadow Punch at this level though...

I couldn't find Druddigon even after wandering around all day long, but when I went outside to grind on Audino and accidentally went into the normal grass I got jumped by one...it was Naive with Sheer Force and I just went with it.

Smogon's in-game article mentions how Druddigon is easy to train on the wild Pokémon in Dragon Spiral. Sure, he is. Except Golett doesn't give a lot of EXP and fighting other Druddigon isn't guaranteed to turn out well. The Plasma members, however, fall pretty easily to it once it has a few levels under its belt. So it's better than I thought when I first looked into it more closely, but not the late-game juggernaut it was said to me. Still very satisfied though.

By the way, Golett is an absolute champ against Audino. Unaffected by Normal moves, changing its ability doesn't do anything, and Attract doesn't work since it's genderless. If I can find a Heart Scale I'm so getting Shadow Punch on it, since right now every single move it has is unreliable. 50% Dynamicpunch, random Magnitude, or perhaps Mega Punch? I replaced the latter with Night Shade anyway.

So Druddigon is getting better and better while Golett still hasn't evolved...what a slow Pokémon, sheesh. I thought the 8th gym would be pretty hard considering how hard Dragons tend to hit and how slow Druddigon is supposed to be, but Druddigon absolutely demolished it. It probably should have been fainted ten times over, but for some strange reason every single opposing Dragon that it couldn't OHKO, with the exception of other Druddigon, try to Dragon Dance or Taunt against it. It actually loses versus other Druddigon despite being faster, because they have Rough Skin and I can't OHKO. Well, I can OHKO with Expert Belt (which I used against the leader), but I wanted to use Lucky Egg. Even the leader's Pokémon weren't any smarter. I thought I'd be screwed against her Haxorus so I switched to Sigilyph and set up a Reflect while being Dragon Danced on, and weakened it to about 60% with Air Slash until I died to a Slash crit. I brought out Druddigon and, you guessed it, it used Dragon Dance and I KO'd.

Now I'm going to train Golett until it's a Golurk with Earthquake (Golett gets it at 45, Golurk at 50, it evolves at 43). I had boxed Alomomola for the time being so I could use Fly without teaching it to Sigilyph, since I wanted to keep dual screen + dual STAB.

edit: Mission accomplished.

Edited by Mekkah

Striation Gym:

Bacon (Tepig, Level 13): Eh... decent enough. Soloed Cress with him somehow. Two shotted his Panpour after 2 Tail Whips. Thank you for trying to set up on me! 8D

Terri (Lillipup, Level 11): Great so far. <3 She's speedy, tanky and hits hard. She two-shots mostly everything with just Tackle. I prefer her over Bacon already!

Nacrene Gym

Bacon (Pignite, Level 19): Still so-so. After learning Flame Charge, his usefulness increased dramatically. He ended up defeating Lenora for me.

Terri (Herdier, Level 17): Again, she's great. She was essential in defeating Lenora. Take Down took her Watchhog down to 1/5 of her HP. Unfortunately, Super Potion + Retaliate did her in, but because of her chip damage, Bacon was able to finish her off.

Munnybank (Munna, Level 15): He's great, but fragile. He chipped Herdier but was unfortunately KO'd by a Take Down. Here's to hoping he sees more action.

Plume (Pidove, Level 15): Subpar/mediocre at the moment. Doesn't help that her nature reduces Attack and the majority of moves she can learn are Special based. After learning Air Cutter, there was a slight improvement, but she's still meh.

Edited by Sakusa

Heeey guys.

Gym 1: Oshawott: Beat the living daylights out of everyone at level 15. I didn't even need to use my monkey. He is a complete beast and at this point I'm having no problem soloing the game with him. He has an adamant nature that hurts his Sp. Atk but his Atk is freakin awesome because of it.

Gym 2: At level 22 Dewott destroys Herdier with one hit of Razor Shell. Speaking of Razor Shell, its a great move, 75 power plus STAB and he gets it at level 17. Kills pretty much everyone at this point in the game. Watchog however, forced me to use the monkey and a random Lillipup I caught for no particular reason as meat shields while I healed Dewott. Then I killed Watchog with 2 Razor Blades and survived with 3 hp through 3 Retaliates. SO it was a little tough, and I sorta had to cheat, but they didn't actually fight.

On my way to Gym 3.

Edited by Strawman the SawmanShaman

Fourth Gym

Dewott: 22

Simisear: 23

Sawk : 25

Archen : 25

Cottonee: 25

Got Evolite, Got Dig, Got Plume Fossil, Got bike, then backtracked all the way to get Archen. On the way I used Exp Share to get Pansear to level 22 and get a half decent fire move, then evolved him. Then ran back to the 4th city and got the Return TM and the Strength HM. Taught almost everyone return and a few dig then attempted the 4th Gym. Elesa's Emolgas destroyed me, and I lost the first time around. Second attempt I lead with Simisear which cut down both Emolgas to 50%. Sawk was able to KO one before it succumbed to Aerial Ace, Dewott dropped the zebra to 50%. Cottonee para'd it to allow Archen to finish it off. Then had to revive Sawk to finish off Emolga because I have no rock moves. I'm evolving Cottonee at 26 after Giga Drain.

Beat the game. Forgot how epic the game is between here and the ending.

Victory Road was fun. The most exciting thing was probably Golurk getting OHKO'd by an enemy Darmanitan Flare Blitz.

vs Elite Four:

- Fighting: Reflect Sigilyph (now with Psychic/Air Slash) was going to be my killer of choice but the asshole put Stone Edge on everything so I got critted to death by Conkeldurr after beating both Bert and Ernie. No problem, Golurk is the best anti Fighting possible.

- Ghost: Crunch Druddigon with Expert Belt did the work here, critting the sarcophagus (but Mummy made me lose Sheer Force). Chandelure proved to be too much of a force though, so I had Alomomola (!) clean that part up.

- Psychic: Probably the hardest one. Once again Crunch Druddigon was clutch. I tried to put up a Light Screen for it with Sigilyph and then learned the hard way that it had Ice Beam. I used Fire Punch with Darmanitan, and noticed I might have been able to OHKO it with Flare Blitz, heh.

- Dark: Scraggy critted the mon I led with but I pulled through anyway. Druddigon's Revenge and Golurk's Dynamicpunch were used here.

Castle and Dragon scenes are soooo cool. Caught Zekrom with my second Ultra Ball while it was at full health.

vs N:

I don't remember many details. Zekrom 3HKOs with Dragonbreath while he used his Fire attack, then Hyper Beam (and recharged). Highlights include sending in Darmanatican when the game said he was going to use Klinklang, then getting Night Slashed and OHKOing what turned out to be Zoroark as well as myself with Flare Blitz. I don't think anything else actually caused trouble.

vs Ghetsis:

Sarcophagus makes a return vs Druddigon and wastes some Full Heals with Toxic but I anticipate the Protect uses and stall him out of Full Restores so it goes down. He sends in Afrobullshit which Golurk couldn't stand up to despite hitting with Dynamicpunch. Stupid Earthquake. But that trouble was nothing compared to Hydreigon, who I quickly learned after some experimentation, OHKOs Zekrom with Dragon Pulse, and Darmanatican with Surf. So I Light Screen with Sigilyph because it doesn't have or doesn't use Dark Pulse for some reason, and my low damage rolls on Zekrom's Dragonbreath are compensated for by a lucky paralysis, so it goes down. I remember that Simisage killed Seismitoad, but at some point all I had left was Zekrom. Eelektross couldn't do jack to it so after wearing it down with Dragonbreath, I used a Hyper Potion, killed it, and then 2HKO'd Bisharp with Fusion Bolt.

I win.

Assuming High/Mid/Low since I don't believe having 4+ tiers is productive by any means:

4)Mekkah (Darumaka/Darmanitian, Sigilyph, Pansage/Simisagee, Druddigon, Golett/Golurk, Alomomola)

Darumaka/Darmanatian - Amazing, that's why I picked it first. I do hate the training stage because of Hustle, but even in its unevolved form it's just so powerful. And I didn't even use the Bug gym to raise it. High.

Sigilyph - Beautiful, even endgame this thing never stops shining. Magic Guard came in handy before but most of this Pokémon's utility comes from being powerful off the bat. High.

Pansage/Simisagee - MVP of the first gym of course, but I wouldn't have to draft it to that. I'd say he was worth being my third pick (taking into consideration that I was not willing to pick Sawk). Once I had Seed Bomb and Grass Knot, it simply did what it had to do, especially when all I had was Pignite. It does slow down over the course of the game but having a solid answer to Water types just speeds things up. Not so much for Electrics since apparently IS decided they should all have Acrobatics or Flame Charge or fucking Acid. BUT it did beat Emolga and anything that does that is cool in my book. Mid

Druddigon - He earned his reputation as a strong endgame mon. You wouldn't think so when you look at the theory - it's one of these things you have to actually use to see how useful they are. The weird AI in the Dragon gym definitely helped him, I'll grant him that. I'm not sure if that can be consistently replicated - I actually got Dragon Clawed once, but that was somewhere on the Victory Road. Still, his type versatility is insane and his Atk is sky high. And I have to note that I _did not grind_ this thing. I got maybe one level out of killing wild Golett, but everything else is all Dragon gym, Galactic and Elite Four. Mid, but only for availability reasons

Golett/Golurk - I didn't expect much from my fifth pick and that's what made him a fun project instead of a pain. This thing is slooooooow. I took it at least 10 levels with wild Audino. Even after getting Earthquake and evolving, he didn't really pay his own bill. The one thing he is useful for is beating Electrics and, even moreso, Fighters. His typing is perfect for it, since he's also immune to random Normal moves. Oh, and he was also good at using Strength! Low

Alomomola - Like Golett, the key was to not expect much. I did enjoy having ridiculous amounts of HP, it practically never got OHKO'd. Had to grind it, of course. I had a running joke of killing super strong Pokémon with it, like Chandelure and no less than two Excadrill, but there's just no question that this thing sucks. He's also proof that you can make any Pokémon "work" if you want them to in B/W, and more easily than in the older gens thanks to the grinding methods available. He was my only Water type (other than the tadpole I caught in order to get him) and I did switch him into Fire/Rock/Ground mons whenever I could. Low

I'll also briefly comment on Tepig. It's a starter and it's not nearly as awful as Smugleaf - that makes it High in my book. Mine only got to L30 or so before I ditched it, but from what I could see, he's good.

Edited by Mekkah

Castelia Gym:

Bacon (Pignite, Level 21): Dominated Burgh, 'nuff said.

Terri (Herdier, Level 20): Terri didn't see much action this time around, since Plume needed the levels more, but she's still been scoring OHKOs all over the place.

Munnybank (Munna, Level 20): With Eviolite, Munny gained some much needed extra bulk. He was great for tanking Special Attacks before, but his durability's greatly increased. Scored some pretty awesome OHKOs.

Plume (Pidove, Level 19): She's still pretty much filler. OHKOing Sewaddles isn't exactly super impressive, considering they're 4x weak to flying.

Lillil (Petilil, Level 20): I love this little one. Sleep Power + Leech Seed + Mega Drain really helps her survivability, and Sleep Powder + Growth makes for easy setups. She's also great for team support, too.

Edited by Sakusa

Chapter 1: TRIPLETS IN MY GYMS?!

Nuvema Town:

Not much, but I picked Snivy and beat Bianca and Cheren because I can, Pokedex get. Named my Snivy Grimm.

Route 1:

Ehhhh, ran around looking for shaking grass. No luck. Bianca yelled at me because I didn't catch anything.

Accumula Town:

Pokemon centers. Hooray. Battled N and won easily. And I love that you can alter the music here a bit. <3

Route 2:

Battled trainers(love that theme <3). And Grimm was all alone. Stupid shaky grass. Battled Bianca and won easily. I like her, she tries her best.

Striation City:

Battled Cheren after wandering about in the city and the Dreamyard. Dusk Ball get.

Dreamyard:

This theme is <3. Anyway, battled more. Grimm is pretty awesome, despite being calm natured(the characteristic is 'Proud of its power' though) Panpour get.

Striaton Gym:

Puzzles and maids. And a waiter. I had Snootty(Panpour) battle so he could get a level so he wouldn't be so weak against Chili. Other than that, Grimm did most of the work. Trio Badge get. TM 83 get.

Stritaton City:

Fennel... She has glasses. I like her already. HM 1 get. Got rid of Grimm's Tackle.

Grimm level 14: Radical, getting Growth on 13 was a big deal. Vine Whip is nice too. Eeeeee~

Snootty level 11: Shame I can't keep him... Oh well, there's always post game!

Edited by Emerald Jealousy

Up to 6th Gym now.

31 Whimsicott

32 Sawk

33 Archen

34 Joltik

34 Dewott

(Dropped) 24 Simisear

I dropped Simisear after the Fourth Gym. It's offence was terrible with anything other than it's STAB, and even then it was usually a 3HKO.

Current levels reflect who has had the EXP Share more recently, not who has been more useful. Whimsicott and Sawk destroyed the ground gym, with Dewott getting a few kills in as well. The first pokemon I met in the Electric Cave was a level 27 Joltik, to whom I immediately gave exp share (get it ready to beat the flying gym). Electric Cave took a while since I forgot to buy any repels. But Whimsicott doesn't die, so I was able to reach the doctor and heal before the N battle. I gave Archen the lucky egg before I forgot I was halving his attack power with Aerobatics.

Bought Repels, unequipped lucky egg, and ran through the ghost tower pretty quickly. Joltik KOed most of the pokemon in the flying gym with a combination of electroball and Volt Change. Dewott leveled up with EXP share (trying to get him to evolve quickly). Looking forward, Sawk is likely going to solo the Ice gym, Whimsicott will likely get EXP share after Dewott evolves.

I finally did it! Man, that took a while.

Before the Gym:

It took me a LONG time to find a Purrloin. Once I found one, a whole bunch showed up. Just Great. By the time I caught Purrloin, my starter was level 11. . .and my newfound Pokemon was at level 4. I did some old-fashioned experience splitting, and got him up to level 10, before heading to. . .

Striation City Gym:

Looks like out of chili peppers, watercress, and cilantro, I got stuck with the one I hate the most.

My starter made short work of the puppy, while my monkey showed the other monkey who was boss.

Team so far:

Oshawott (Solais): 13

Purrloin (Slake): 10

Pansear (Expression): 11

Thoughts:

Oshawott: The cutest wrecking ball a Trainer could ask for! Water Sport sucks, though. She's also Timid (and I am NOT resetting another 32 times for a female with a better nature).

Purrloin: I need to get him up to speed. He learned Assist at level 8 or so, and that's been surprisingly helpful. His Dark type means he can tank Bites. Otherwise, he's super-fragile. It looks like his Speed will improve, so he'll be responsible for revenge kills.

Pansear: Bugger I need to ditch you.

Gym 3:

Dewott (27): Still my only usable Pokemon. He is still doing good because how over leveled he is. His speed is becoming a problem though. Learned Fury Cutter, which, in-theory, should help him out against grass types. However the move starts out too weak, and even when super effective seems weaker than his tackle. When fighting multiple grass pokemon, however, it can get up to 1HKO potential with its second consecutive use, so it is still a pretty valuable move. Burgh took me 2 tries. Whirlipede and Dwebble were going to be easy to defeat, and they were. Leavany was hell though. I once again had to resort to useing my monkey as a meat sheild, then using retaliate on Dewott to avenge his death and beat Leavany with just a little HP left. He has been getting worse as pokemon are getting faster and he cant really handle the damage. Still extremely powerful though.

Finally! I get another pokemon! Hermit the Dwebble (32). Caught at level 22. He doesn't start off with great moves but after back tracking and having him take out everyone on route 4, everyone in the Desert, and everyone I can fight in the City and Battle Company, he has a solid Rockslide, Bugbite, Dig, and Faint Attack. His only real threatening weakness at this point is water. He has also passed my Dewott(31) in level. He has a Jolly nature so his low speed is a little higher and his pointless Sp. Atk is even more pointless. He can take physical hits really well.

4th gym soon.